The largest side quest of Twilight Princess is the hunt for Poe Souls. Poe Souls will appear all over Hyrule once you kill the first one in Jovani’s house on your way to Hyrule Castle, after you have completed Lakebed Temple. Each Poe appears the same way (except for the four that you meet in the Arbiter’s Grounds) and is killed the same way as well. They will appear to Link as just a purple lantern until he uses his wolf senses to view the Poe as a whole. They usually appear as a small, floating, blue child-like creature that wields a very large scythe.
Dodge their attacks and then attack them yourself (while in wolf form and using your senses, of course). If you finish the Poe off, you will gain its soul. Most of the souls you find are out in the open, but most of them only appear during the night. 20 Poes gives you a Bottle of Fairy Tears.
Collecting all 60 Poes gets you a nice Silver Rupee (200 Rupees!) and an infinite supply of rupees from that point on from Gengle, his cat. (every time you speak to him, he coughs some up).
To get back into Jovani’s House the quick and easy way, head back to Castle Town and run on the south road. There is a house on the western (eastern in the GCN version) side of the south road that has a lot of cats hanging around the front. Transform into a Wolf, get into Sense mode, and look for the dig spot on the right side of the house.
This is written for the Wii version. If you use this for the Gamecube version, east is west and right is left.
- Sacred Grove – While you are wandering around the Sacred Grove searching for the Skull Kid, you will come to a hiding space of his in a hollowed out stump. It is in the area with a small pool of water and a waterfall running over the entrance. You’ll find a Poe Soul in there.
- Sacred Grove – You can find another soul in the Sacred Grove, this time after you meet the Skull Kid in the main temple area. This is the area where you have to beat him before he gives you access to the Master Sword. As Link, you can blow up the rock in the middle of the area and dig down a hole to reveal another Poe Soul in the grotto below.
- Sacred Grove – There is one more soul to find in your trip through the Sacred Grove. After you finish the Temple of Time, go back to where you received the Master Sword and you’ll find a Poe floating around the area.
- Faron Woods – At night, wander around the Faron Woods in the Poisonous Swamp area. As a wolf, jump around using Midna until you reach an enormous hollowed out stump (it’s the place where a few of the Twili Bugs was hanging out when Faron was under Twilight). There will be a Poe floating in the stump.
- Hyrule Field – The first stretch of land that you encounter when you leave the Faron Woods holds a Poe. Near the two bodies of water in that area, you’ll find a Poe floating around at night.
- Kakariko Village – The first one in the Village is in the wreckage of Barnes bomb supply house at the top of his Bomb Shop. You know the one you blew up when you were a wolf? It’s right there. Climb to the wreckage of the building at night and a Poe will be floating for you to capture.
- Kakariko Village – The next one is just up the hill from that wrecked building. Continue up the hill towards Talo’s lookout high above the Village. There will be a Poe waiting on the porch just before you enter the building.
- Kakariko Village – I bet you all know where Poe number 3 of the Village is located. That’s right, in the Graveyard. You’ll find the floating ghost in the Graveyard at night. Just try not to mess up the graves in the process.
- Kakariko Village – Poe number 4 of the Village isn’t located too far from number 3. Once again, go into the Graveyard at night while in Wolf form and push the gravestone that is located in the southeast corner. A poe will pop out and you have yourself another Poe in your collection.
- Death Mountain – There is a Poe located on your way up to Death Mountain. Once you have the Goron’s back on your side, climb the trail at night. The second Goron you encounter can send you flying to a cliff to the right of where he is standing. On that cliff you’ll find a poe. Just be careful when you battle him and know where you are or you will fall off the cliff and have to climb up it again.
- Kakakiro Gorge – Stand on the bridge at Kakariko Gorge and look to your east. There is a cliff that be accessed by going south then climbing it. At the top is a tree and more importantly and Poe just hanging around.
- Kakariko Gorge/Lantern Cavern – South of the Kakariko Gorge bridge, you will find a boulder in the wall. Bomb it and make your way into the cavern it blocks. Make sure you have a full lantern before journeying in. Fight your way through the cavern, following a somewhat northwest path. Eventually, you’ll spot a Poe in a small room of sorts, so, do what you must do.
- Hidden Village – Head to the Hidden Village at night. You’ll see the lantern floating on the left side on a balcony. You’ll find a net on the left side to which you can grapple onto. Climb up, move around the corner, and grab the Poe on the balcony.
- Hyrule Field – If you start in Faron Province and head towards the Great Bridge of Hylia. Before you cross your bridge, you’ll find a Poe in the area.
- Hyrule Castle Town – This Poe you have to collect in order to continue through the game. This one is located in Jovani’s house, the person who is looking for the Poe Souls. Collect it, listen to what the golden boy, Jovani has to say and then be on your way.
- Lake Hylia – There are three Poes in a Lantern Cavern within the region of Lake Hylia. Head to the Howling Stone in Lake Hylia and look south. Just like in the Kakariko Gorge, you’ll find another Stone boulder covering a Lantern Cavern. This cavern is longer, so make sure you have enough oil with you before going in, or an empty bottle for Yellow ChuChus. The first Poe will be located early on in the cavern. If you use your map, it is in a room that is southwest corner of the cavern.
- Lake Hylia – The second Poe in the Lantern Cavern is halfway through the winding path. Wolf, sense, attack, finish for another soul. If you are using the map, the Poe is in a room in the far north of the cavern.
- Lake Hylia – The last Poe in the Lantern Cavern is at the end of the Cavern, near a glowing exit. Transform and gather the last soul and you’re golden. If you use the map, it is located in a room northeast of the first Poe.
- Zora’s Domain – At the bottom of the waterfall, swim towards the west side and climb the incline over there. Not only will you find a Golden Bug, but you see a Poe Lantern in the distance (granted that it is nighttime). Another added to your collection.
- Zora’s Domain – Head to the east alcove, where the entrance to Snowpeak is located. Using your wolf-jumps, have Midna guide you up two jumps. In the gap behind the waterfall (if it is at night), you’ll find another Poe Soul.
- Zora’s River – Head to the beginning of Zora’s River and look to the south. There is a grassy knoll that a Poe is hanging around at. Attack the Poe and take the Soul.
- Hyrule Field – Head north from the Castle at night. In the northern most portion of Hyrule, you’ll find a stone bridge where a Poe is just hanging out. Capture another with ease to add to your collection.
- Hyrule Field – In the same area as the Poe on the bridge, head to the eastern most section of the map. In between two trees, you’ll find a clump of dirt. Using your Wolf senses, you’ll find a dig area in the middle of the dirt. Dig to find a cavern full of Babas and of course, two Poe Souls. Capture one at a time, now.
- Hyrule Field – Keeping an inventory of how many Poes you have is my job. So, this Poe is the same Poe I listed above. If you followed this guide and only this guide, this is Poe number #22 for you.
- Hyrule Field – While you are visiting Hyrule Castle Town, make use of the south exit. On the patio you’ll find a Poe for the hunt. One more for your collection.
- Hyrule Field – Making use of another exit in the Castle Town, use the western one. This time you’ll find a Poe on the Wooden Bridge near the exit.
- Hyrule Field – In the same Amphitheater you found an owl statue for your trip for Shad. In that same location you’ll a Poe just wandering around. Put it out of its undead misery and add another to your collection.
- Lake Hylia – Falbi’s Flight-by-Fowl game is located at the top of Lake Hylia. You can get there via Hyrule Field or Fyer’s Cannon. If you play the game for 20 Rupees at night, you’ll notice a Poe on the First Prize platform. Drop down and attack. However, watch out for the edges of the platform, or you have to do it all over again.
- Lake Hylia – While you’re in Lake Hylia, check out a patch of land on the western side of the area. There will be a Poe hanging around for you to capture.
- Lake Hylia – The southern shore ledges hold a Poe for you. Climb the section where you see the Poe and another is yours.
- Lake Hylia – At night, if you look around the northern wall of the Lake, you’ll notice a Poe Lantern floating on a ledge on the wall. Take Falbi’s Flight-by-Fowl challenge, U-turn mid-flight, and land on the ledge that carries the Poe. Toss the fowl and hurt the ghoul (it’s impossible to toss the fowl at the ghoul, however).
- Lake Hylia – The base of the lookout tower that Auru was standing on to help you get access to the Desert Province. The Poe will be there at night, so keep a good look out.
- Gerudo Desert – After you defeat the Axe-wielding King Bulblin and ride the boar to the entrance of the Arbiter’s Grounds, head back to the scene of the battle. There will be a Poe running around at the scene of the battle.
- Gerudo Desert – Before you actually enter the Arbiter’s Grounds, go right of the entrance. There will be a Poe waiting for you if it is night.
- Gerudo Desert – Before you enter the winding path that leads to the entrance to the enemy encampment, head west. If you look on the map, it will be in the desert’s north-central section. There will be a Poe on a ledge that you will need to grapple up to. There will be a tree in that area you can dig your Clawshot into.
- Gerudo Desert – In the same area you found the Poe above. While still in your Wolf form, look around for a patch of dirt that is diggable (in your sense mode). You can dig down to a cave to find another Poe for you to capture.
- Gerudo Desert – Before you leave the cave for the Poe above, another will attack you. You should know what to do with the ghoul when it attacks you; bite it back.
- Gerudo Desert – Head down the narrow path that leads to the enemy encampment. There is a small path on the right side of the path. There will be a Poe in the small path you find. However, be careful. There will also be some sand creatures.
- Gerudo Desert – On the same mesa you find the middle section of the Bridge of Eldin and send it back to the bridge, head back to that section. At the entrance of the Cave of Ordeals, you’ll find a Poe lingering near that entrance.
- Gerudo Desert – Use Fyer’s Cannon to launch yourself to the Desert Province. South of your landing point, you’ll find a Poe wandering around alone in the Desert.
- Cave of Ordeals – You will find three Poes in your travels through the Cave of Ordeals. The first one you’ll find is on the 17th floor.
- Cave of Ordeals – The next Poe you’ll find is on the 33rd floor. You will need the Dominion Rod on the 31st floor in order to descend further down.
- Cave of Ordeals – The last Poe you’ll find is on the 44th floor. You will need the Double Clawshots on the 41st floor in order to descend further down.
- Snowpeak – If you head southwest of the entrance of the Snowpeak Ruins. On the snowboard trail that you travel down, you can travel back up in wolf form and attack the Poe you notice on the bluff. Careful not to fall off the bluff as you battle, it’s a long way down.
- Snowpeak – The first Poe you’ll encounter on your way to the Snowpeak Ruins is on the first set of cliffs you’ll encounter. On the south-central portion of your map (on the first ledge), you’ll notice a Poe hovering around in the nice white blizzard you have blowing around. The Poe will be near a tree and a cave. It will be off the path of the Reekfish Scent.
- Snowpeak – On the same ledge as the Poe above, but in a northeastern direction, you’ll notice a Poe near a large boulder. Take care of all the enemies on the path before you dispose of the Poe.
- Snowpeak – Once you finally enter the cave at the top of the mountain, you’ll notice a Poe in an icy wall. In order to break it free, you’ll need the Ball and Chain, so remember its location and return when you have the item.
- Snowpeak – Follow the Reekfish scent to the top of the mountain. Before you enter the cave at the top, however, look out for a Poe hanging around near a tree. Put it out before it gets Hypothermia.
- The first Poe you’ll encounter in the Grounds is in the room where you encounter all four Poes steal the flames. The first one you’ll take out is in the same room you witness the stolen goods.
- The second Poe you’ll need to head to the basement on the west side. Spin the room to cut a hole in the ceiling, clawshot up, and enter the room on the north side. The second Poe is hiding out in there.
- The third Poe is hiding out behind a wall in the same rooms you encounter Redeads. You’ll need to dig the hole as a Wolf, find the chain that opens the wall, and the third one is yours.
- The last Poe is the on the Second floor, after the room with the lantern puzzle that you need to solve in order to open the doors. The last one is tricky to catch, and you’ll need to play a game of pick the right Poe. The real one will be the brightest of the four clones he splits into. Defeat the Poe and he is yours.
- There are three Poes within the Snowpeak Ruins. The first you encounter will be in the foyer of the house. The Poe will more than likely be hovering over the ice.
- On the southwestern room on the second floor, you’ll enter the room that is floor to ceiling full of ice. On the west wall, you can smash the ice with the Ball and Chain. Inside the alcove, you’ll find a Poe lurking around.
- Once again, in the first room of the house, on the western wall, you’ll notice three suits of armor. Use the Ball and Chain to crack open the middle suit and a Poe will jump out to attack.
Temple of Time
- On the sixth floor, in the room with the giant scale, use the scale to lift yourself up and grapple to the middle of the room. Keep grappling to the Spinner tracks, spin to the top of the room, and on the western side of the room you’ll find a Poe.
- On your way back to the first floor, make a pit-stop on the third. The room with the “elevator”, you’ll find a golden gate that has a Poe hiding behind it. Using the Dominion Rod to control the statues on the top of the wall and hit the switches. Then take out the Poe.
- The last Poe is in the main entrance hall of the Temple; the one with the warp door back to the Sacred Grove. On the southeast corner is an Owl Statue waiting to be moved. Behind you’ll find a Poe for you to capture.
City in the Sky
- On the third floor, in the room with the flying plants (Peahats) and holes in the wall, use the plants to hover over two walls. Look south and then hook onto the plant you see hovering. You need to hook onto one more plant, and then drop down to the area the plant takes you. You’ll encounter a Poe in that area.
- In outer room of the section where you will find the Big Key, you’ll notice a Poe flying around on one the platforms. You’ll need to use your Wolf form and tightrope the right rope in order to reach it. Once you do, you can attack the Poe. Be cautious of your location, because you can fall in all directions.
And that’s all the Poes! Congratulations! You can carry these to Jovani, now and start becoming a rich man; just take Jovani’s mistake as a lesson and don’t sell your soul to riches.