Collecting heart pieces have been one of the main sidequests of the Zelda series since A Link to the Past. Twilight Princess is no exception, but the newest game puts a twist on the quest; instead of collecting four pieces for a new heart container, you must collect five. There are total of 45 pieces of heart to collect in Twilight Princess.
This list is separated by Province and all of the temple heart pieces are located separately after all the Provinces.
Please note that these descriptions are written for the Wii version. Therefore, if you’re playing the Gamecube version, the left and right directions are reversed. East is west, left is right, clockwise is counterclockwise, etc.
- Ordon Village – Once you leave Faron Province, defeat the Goron Mines, and regain access to Epona, travel back to Ordon Village. Talk to Fado, the goat herder. If you can herd the goats once more, he will give you a piece of heart for your troubles.
- Faron Woods – When you enter the woods to rescue the youths early in the game, you’ll find a small cave where you’ll find the key to the locked gate that leads to the Forest Temple. If you light the torches in the cave, a chest will appear and in it will be a Piece of Heart. If you don’t get the piece early in the game, the area will be filled with poisonous fog when you return to get it later.
- Hyrule Field – In the northern end of Faron Province, near the bridge that leads to Lanayru, there is a tree that holds a Piece of Heart. Use the Gale Boomerang to retrieve it.
- Faron Woods – Once you talk to Shad, he will give you the locations of Owl Statues around Hyrule. One of them is north of Coro’s (the lantern salesman) shack. Use a bomb to blow up the rocks and move the statue with the Dominion Rod to a shallow hole in the area. Use your Wolf Link jump to get up to a ledge and walk the path to get the Piece of Heart.
- Sacred Grove – In the area where you do battle with the Skull Kid twice in the game (before the entrance to the Temple of Time), blow up the rock in the middle of the area. Change to a wolf and use your senses to find a hole. Dig the hole to find a cavern. Kill the plants in the area and open the chest for the Piece of Heart.
- Kakariko Gorge – On the east end of Kakariko Gorge, there is a rock formation that is sticking up in the middle of the gorge. On top of the formation is a Piece of Heart. Use your gale boomerang to retrieve your prize.
- Kakariko Village – Once you finish the Goron Mines and retrieve the Hero’s Bow, head back to Kakariko Village. Climb to the lookout that Talo has set up and talk to him about using your bow. You will then play target practice, eventually having to hit the small pole next to Talo on his lookout. If you can hit the pole, without using the Hawkeye, you will get a Piece of Heart from Malo.
- Kakariko Village – As you enter Kakariko Village from the gorge, you’ll notice a boulder on your left near the Eldin Spirit Spring. Blow up the boulder with a bomb, sink to the bottom of the pool with the Iron Boots and claim your prize.
- Kakariko Village – Near the same boulder as the Heart Piece above, look up to notice more boulders on top of the cliff. Use a Bomb-Arrow to destroy said boulders and reveal another Piece of Heart. The Gale Boomerang will retrieve your prize.
- Hyrule Field – Head north of Kakariko Village. On the path that leads out of the village, you’ll notice a set of boulders on the west side. Blow them up, travel the path south, destroy another rock with a bomb, climb a vine, and go north for a Piece of Heart.
- Bridge of Eldin – North of the Bridge of Eldin, you’ll find a vine that you can grapple onto. Climb it, go south, then west into a cavern. You’ll travel through this cavern and you’ll start to notice long gaps in the floor. There are magnetic surfaces that you can stick to with Iron Boots. Jump three gaps, stick to three walls, and then look for a chest in that area.
- Near Hidden Village – Near the entrance to the Hidden Village, on the east side near the small bridge are some Spinner tracks. Use them and the Spinner to glide down to a small ledge. Use your Wolf senses to find a hole, dig, and enter a small cave. Destroy three regenerating skeletons and open the chest that appears.
- Death Mountain – On the trail leading to the Goron Camp, before the narrow trail that leads to where the giant rock crashed, you’ll find a Goron. Shoot east to a stairlike ledge. Go north on the ledge, then drop to a cave on the east side. You’ll find a chest inside the cave.
- Bridge of Eldin – Once you talk to Shad and learn the locations of the Owl Statues, go to the Bridge of Eldin. You’ll find a statue on the north end of the bridge. If you have reconnected the bridge with the piece from the Gerudo Desert, use the Dominion Rod to guide the statue from the north end of the bridge to the south end. There, drop it into a little alcove on the east side, hop onto it and across it to the other side. Climb the ladder and you’ll find a chest at the top.
- Kakariko Village/Hyrule Castle Town – After you donate 1,000 rupees to the efforts of rebuliding the bridge to Hyrule Castle Town, talk to the elder outside of the Malo Mart. He will ask that you help his kid out at the Hyrule Castle Town. Take the Hot Springwater to the Goron in South Castle Town, douse him with the water, and he’ll give you a Piece of Heart. Watch out for enemies on the way there! They can make you lose the barrel of water.
- Hidden Village – After you clear the Hidden Village of enemies, turn into a Wolf and go to the southwest side of the village and find the Cucco leader (you may need to crash some windows to find her). She’ll have you talk to all twenty cats that are located in the village. If you talk to all the cats, she’ll give you a Piece of Heart.
- Kakariko Gorge – In the southwest corner of the Gorge, you’ll find a boulder. Bomb the boulder, enter the cavern, light the torches, and open the chest that appears.
- Kakariko Gorge – In the southeast portion of the Gorge, in the same area at the rock formation where you got a Piece of Heart earlier, you’ll find a grapple point in the rocks. Make sure you have the Double Clawshot before attempting this piece. Grapple to the first point, then to a point on the south cliff wall, then to vines on a smaller formation in the Gorge. There you will find another Piece of Heart.
- Lake Hylia – In the Spirit Spring where you met Lanayru, you can grapple to the high cliff at the southern end of the spring. Enter the room, light the torches, and collect your prize from the chest that appears.
- Lake Hylia – On the southern end of Lake Hylia (east of where you meet Auru) is a boulder in the wall. Bomb the boulder, enter the cavern, light the torches, and open the chest that appears.
- Fishing Hole – When you can find time to enter the fishing hole, paddle to the middle of the hole to find a Piece of Heart on the rock formation. Cast your line out and try hitting the piece with your fishing pole to reel in it.
- Hyrule Field – The path leading to the Great Bridge of Hylia has a path being blocked by rocks. Use your bombs to blow up the rocks, use your Spinner on the tracks you spot, and guide along them (jumping between the two when necessary) to find a Piece of Heart on the far ledge.
- Lake Hylia – Plumm, the parrot that hovers near the giant cannon, will offer Wolf Link a chance to play a game. The game involves Wolf Link popping balloons for points. If you can manage to get a 10,000 point score, Plumm will give you a Piece of Heart.
- Lake Hylia – Use the Cannon to fly to Falbi’s Flight-by-Fowl challenge building. Grab a cucco and fly down to the floating platforms in the middle of the lake. If you can land on the top platform (the small, slow-spinning one), you will get a Piece of Heart.
- Hyrule Castle Town – On the East Road of Castle Town, you’ll find a man wearing a green robe asking for donations. If you end up donating 1,000 rupees to him, he’ll hand over a Piece of Heart.
- Hyrule Field – If you head east of Castle Town, then north, you’ll end up in a wide open field. Go to the northeastern part of the field, and you’ll find a path. Go west through the path and you’ll find a boulder. Blow the boulder up, take out the ice within with the Ball and Chain, and solve the puzzles within to gain access to the Piece of Heart.
- Gerudo Desert – The one lone Piece in the desert is located within the enemy stronghold. While going through it, you’ll notice a giant pig (a Bulbo) roasting on a stick. Keep attacking the pig until a Piece of Heart falls out.
- Snowpeak – Once you gain access to the Twilight Mirror piece within the Snowpeak Ruins, climb (or warp) to the top of the Snowpeak Mountain. Talk to Yeto and challenge him to a snowboard race. If you win, you’ll face Yeta, Yeto’s wife. If you defeat both of them, they will give you a Piece of Heart. Watch out, though! Yeta has a few tricks up her furry sleeve; she knows a shortcut down the mountain. If you want to find out where it is, you’ll have to follow her!
- Enter the temple and go one room north and one room east. In this room, you’ll notice a giant Deku Like on the ground level blocking a treasure chest. Climb the stairs in front of you, across the gap where you killed the first Deku Like, over the gap and climb the vines. You’ll find a bomb creature. Kill it, and place/throw it into the gap near it. You’ll kill the Deku Like and gain access to the chest holding the Piece of Heart.
- Once you have the Gale Boomerang, return to the room above and go to the room east of it. In the room, you’ll find the tile monsters as well as the staircase you make to rescue a monkey. In the main area of the room, use the boomerang to extinguish all the torches in the room to find a chest behind them. Open it for a Piece of Heart.
- Once you find the first elder in the Mines, climb the ladder to the top of the room, use the Iron Boots to travel through this room and then to the ceiling of the next room. Walk to the northwest corner of the room. There is a treasure chest there.
- When you visit the second floor for the first time, you’ll enter a room with a drawbridge and two beamos. Stick on the Iron Boots, stick onto the magnetic surface on the east wall. Instead of going north, go south and you’ll find a chest with a Piece of Heart inside.
- Once you have access to the Clawshot, return to the main chamber of the Temple. Use the hookshot to gain access to the chandelier (you have to be on the second floor). There is a Piece of Heart in a chest on it.
- Make sure you have water running through the temple and heading west down the staircase. Go into the westernmost room on the first floor. Cross the bridge to face the south of the room. Stand on the switch you see and grapple to the wall. You’ll find a chest.
- In the chamber where the Poe Torches are and go the northwest corner of the room. You’ll see a chest and a bunch of sand. Use the Clawshot to grapple across the sand and collect the Piece of Heart. The west wall contains a grapple point for exit.
- After gaining access to the Spinner, you’ll enter a room where the room is full of sand and Spinner tracks. Run around the room with the Spinner until you meet a regenerating skeleton (Stalfos) and a treasure chest. Kill the skeleton (don’t forget to bomb the remains!) and open the chest to gain your Piece of Heart.
- When you are on the Second Floor of the foyer (main entrance), hit the chandelier with the Ball and Chain and start it swinging. Hop on and then hop onto the two chandeleirs to the south. Head south and find a treasure chest on the southern ledge.
- From the room where Yeta’s healing, head east to the spiral room. Take care of the Freezard’s in the cage and move to the second floor. The southern end of the room holds a weak floor. Bomb the floor and drop to the floor below. There is a Piece of Heart there.
Temple of Time
- On your way back to the first floor with the statue, you’ll reenter the room with sliding doors and electric field blocking one side. If you guide the statue to the side you can’t access and hit the switch, you’ll gain access to that side. There is a chest on that side with a Piece of Heart.
- The southern room on the fifth floor holds a Piece of Heart. You must guide two statues to switches on the paths blocked by gates. You’ll have to guide the one that is there, and send one over the gate for the other. A treasure chest will appear when you get both switches.
- The main room of the Temple of Time (the one with the classic Temple theme) holds two statues. When there is power in the Dominion Rod, head back there and move the statue on the southwest.
City in the Sky
- When you have the Double Clawshots and you grapple around the eastern most room of the first floor, you’ll meet a giant plant (a giant Deku Baba coupled with a Deku Like). Defeat it, grapple to the second floor, and go counterclockwise around the room. There is a Piece of Heart on your journey through it.
- In the room with many floating plants and gaps, there is a Piece of Heart that is initially out of reach. Once you exit the area and travel across the gap with plants, head back to reach the southern balcony. Enter the door and get the Piece of Heart.
Palace of Twilight
- Once you have the Light Sword, head to the east wing and the first room you enter. Cut through the fog in the room and turn right. You’ll find a grapple point and a treasure chest.
- With the Light Sword, head to the west wing and the first room you enter. Cut through the fog and make a platform appear in the southwest corner of the pit. The platform will carry you right to an alcove with a treasure chest.
Congratulations! You’ve collected all the Heart Pieces the game has to offer! You’re now ready to plunge into the darkest depths, take on raging foes and come out with life to spare!