This is Link’s primary (well, only) weapon throughout the game. You aim it using the Wii Remote/Zapper and fire with the B button. Hold down the B button to charge up the Crossbow, then release for an exploding Bomb Arrow, which does more damage and hits more targets—but be careful! You don’t want to hit any penalty targets, don’t forget. Also, use the Z button on the Nunchuk to zoom in on faraway targets. In Ranger stages, you can maneuver Link about using the control stick on the Nunchuk. Another thing to remember about the Crossbow is that by shooting enemies that are glowing green, the Crossbow will temporarily be powered up with a rapid-fire ability making for some easy shooting and a good way to rack up more points–but you endanger your combo by doing so.
Blue X Target
One of the most valuable objects in the game, at least in certain stages. To maximize your points opportunity with these things, shoot its midsection 8 times and follow up with a shot to the head–this will give you 1000 points. On Levels 1-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 7-1, though, there are secrets! Shoot the Scarecrow 8 times then finish with a head shot, and the Scarecrow burrows underground–and reappears in the second round of the stage! Repeat the process, and for the third round, you’ll be taken on an alternate route with a higher number of special targets to pad your score. Listed below are the locations of every Scarecrow in the game:
- Level 1-1 (#1): on a high bluff overlooking village, first round.
- Level 1-1 (#2): on a high bluff behind the house, second round.
- Level 1-2: on a high bluff behind you, turning to your left.
- Level 1-3: on the lookout tower by the wall after you first turn right.
- Level 2-1: on the far right side of the screen, third round.
- Level 2-2: on the right, visible after passing the first big rock.
- Level 2-3: on a high bluff to the right.
- Level 3-1 (#1): on the right of the building, first round.
- Level 3-1 (#2): on the left side of the porch, second round.
- Level 3-2: immediately behind you, above the doorway.
- Level 3-3: on the other side of the bridge from you, on the left.
- Level 4-1 (#1): to the right of the waterfall, first round.
- Level 4-1 (#2): between the two middle columns, second round.
- Level 4-2: behind you, next to the sign and the sealed alcove.
- Level 4-3: on a low tree stump ledge near the left wall.
- Level 5-1: visible on the right side in both the second and third rounds.
- Level 5-2: to the right, on a high bluff beside a tree.
- Level 5-3: inside the last house on the left (shoot through a window).
- Level 6-1: at the very beginning (the view circles back at the end too).
- Level 6-2: on a high rock above and to the left after the bridge.
- Level 6-3: in the final room, on the other side of the wooden barricade.
- Level 7-1 (#1): in the alcove at the far end, first round (zoom in to see).
- Level 7-1 (#2): dead ahead in the center, second round.
- Level 7-2: behind you, on the spire of a distant building (zoom in to see).
- Level 7-3: in the sealed alcove at the far end of the final room.
- Level 8-1: dead ahead at the very end of the stage, third round.
- Level 8-2: on a high cliff to the left, overlooking the area.
- Level 8-3: in front of the sealed door right behind you.
- Level F-1: on a high bluff overlooking ranch, first and second rounds.
- Level F-2: in the archway right behind you.
Shooting at certain jars, crates, barrels, or other breakable objects will sometimes cause a Rupee to appear! It will float in the air, bobbing up and down. The sooner you shoot it, the more points you get, but if you just let it float there, eventually it’ll fade and disappear. The highest points you can get from a Rupee (by shooting it just as soon as it appears) is 1000 points. Be careful not to lose your combo firing away at it, though. Note that Rupee locations are variable as far as which particular object houses them, but they’re are always in the same vicinity. Listed below are the locations of every Rupee in the game:
- Level 1-1: among the jars by the house, second round.
- Level 1-2 (#1): among the cluster of skulls dead ahead, slightly to the left.
- Level 1-2 (#2): inside one of the tall jars on either side.
- Level 1-3 (#1): in one of the jars at the beginning.
- Level 1-3 (#2): detonate the explosive barrel behind tent after your first turn.
- Level 1-3 (#3): in one of the skeletons behind the second pig roast.
- Level 2-1 (#1): among the jars toward the right, first round.
- Level 2-1 (#2): in the tall jar, high and to the right, second round.
- Level 2-1 (#3): in one of the two jars, high and to the right, third round.
- Level 2-2 (#1): in a cluster of five jars on the right, midway through.
- Level 2-2 (#2): in one of the single jars right after Rupee #1.
- Level 2-2 (#3): in the line of jars at the end.
- Level 2-3: in one of the three barrels in front of you.
- Level 3-1: among the jars in front of the building, first round.
- Level 3-2: in one of the four barrels in the town square below.
- Level 3-3: in one of the three skulls on the handrail in front of you.
- Level 4-1: among the line of jars in the second round.
- Level 4-2 (#1): destroy the Deku Nut right in front of you.
- Level 4-2 (#2): behind you, among the line of skulls in front of sealed alcove.
- Level 4-3 (#1): in the cluster of jars suspended by webbing.
- Level 4-3 (#2): hugging the left wall from the start, in a skeleton nearby.
- Level 4-3 (#3): from Rupee #2, among a mound of skulls toward the back.
- Level 5-1: in one of the pair of jars in the first or second round.
- Level 5-2 (#1): to the left, in a lone jar on top of a rock spire.
- Level 5-2 (#2): behind you, in a cluster of skulls at the bottom of a slope.
- Level 5-3 (#1): among the jars in the first house on the left.
- Level 5-3 (#2): among the barrels in the first alleyway on the right.
- Level 5-3 (#3): among the jars and explosive barrels at the back of the village.
- Level 6-1: among the jars in front of the last house, near the stage’s end.
- Level 6-2 (#1): in a lone jar on top of the rightmost pillar of the entry arch.
- Level 6-2 (#2): among the three explosive barrels to the left after the bridge.
- Level 6-3 (#1): behind you at the start, among the jars and explosive barrels.
- Level 6-3 (#2): among the jars in the second room (fireplace room).
- Level 6-3 (#3): in the ice-walled corridor of the courtyard behind two coats of armor.
- Level 7-1: among any of the skulls in the second round.
- Level 7-2 (#1): in one of the jars by a Clawshot tower to one side of you.
- Level 7-2 (#2): in one of the jars by a Clawshot tower on the other side.
- Level 7-3 (#1): among the jars in the first corridor to the right from the start.
- Level 7-3 (#2): among the jars and coats of armor in the first Beamos room.
- Level 7-3 (#3): among the jars in the right sealed off alcove in the final room.
- Level 8-1: among the three skulls by the first tree, second round.
- Level 8-2 (#1): destroy one of the far ice pillars behind you to the left.
- Level 8-2 (#2): destroy one of the ice pillars to the right, near the icy lake.
- Level 8-3 (#1): in one of the jars to the left, by the coat of armor.
- Level 8-3 (#2): in the coat of armor between the two jars to the right.
- Level F-1: in one of the two jars inside the barn, second round.
- Level F-2: in one of the big jars atop either pillar in front of you.
Sometimes shooting at various objects will make a Fairy appear! Unlike the Rupee, once you’ve uncovered a Fairy, there’s nothing more you need to do (i.e. don’t shoot it)–the Fairy will automatically come to you and gift you with 1000 points! Fairies are rarer than Rupees and Scarecrows, though, and will not appear in every stage. But unlike Rupees, a Fairy can be found in a set place every single time. Listed below are the locations of every Fairy in the game:
- Level 1-1 (default route): shoot all the pumpkins in the third round.
- Level 1-1 (special route): among the jars in the third round.
- Level 2-1: among the barrels on the left, first round.
- Level 2-2: destroy all the Tektites.
- Level 3-1 (default route): drop the beehive hanging from the building (don’t shoot the hive itself), third round.
- Level 3-2: shoot the Triforce symbol in the center of the fountain.
- Level 4-1: shoot every blue jar in the stage.
- Level 5-1: destroy all the Peahats.
- Level 6-1: destroy the Deku Nut near the plank bridge leading to Ordon Ranch.
- Level 6-3: shoot the lever in the courtyard by the door until it lowers.
- Level 7-1: in the skull next to the right pillar before the first round.
- Level 8-1: shoot all three jars in the first round.
- Level F-1: in the barrel off to the left, third round.
You can shoot up most doors in this game for meager points. On a couple very rare occasions, though, shooting a door open wide enough will cause five small watermelon-shaped Fruit Balloons to emerge! Before they get away, quickly shoot down each one. The first four balloons are worth 100 points each, but if you manage to shoot the fifth and final one as well, it will give you 500 points–for a grand total of 900 points! This phenomenon only occurs twice in the game, both instances being in Ordon Village. (Also, this is different from the massive Fruit Balloons that you shoot up throughout Level 3-2.) Listed below are both instances of the small balloons in this game:
- Level 1-1: shoot at the door to the house in the second round until they emerge.
- Level 6-1: shoot at the door to the very first house until they emerge.