Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 PM
erudesu
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL
View Posts: 17,620
Hypersomnia help

Lately I've been sleeping around 12+ hours a day, and I sleep through my two alarms and it's not good. :/ If I had a job right now, I could as well be fired for sleeping in like this if I had an early morning shift.

Last night, I went to bed at midnight, and woke up at 1pm the next day. That's well past the 12 hour mark of sleeping. When I wake up, I still feel extremely tired like I haven't slept enough. I eat well with a balanced diet and I jog and exercise for 2 hrs every afternoon so I don't understand why I'm sleeping this much.

I'm making a thread on this because it's really starting to piss me off. If it gets worse I might have to see a doctor. At this rate, I might as well become goddamn sleeping beauty.

I really want to wake up early again, but apparently my body just doesn't agree with it.

Any ideas or thoughts or anything to help improve this situation?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,653
Re: Hypersomnia help

As soon as my summer vacation started, I began sleeping in as much as possible. The first few free days I had, I would wake up at 1:00 PM, sometimes 2:00PM, after going to bed around 1 or 2:00 in the morning. Shortly after this started, I would wake up from a 12-hour sleep and find myself STILL tired. This continued, and I couldn't understand why. My parents then let me know that there actually is such thing as oversleeping, (It was news to me.)

Here's a Google-snatched article on the matter, in which you should find your particular case a little ways down.

The point is, when I felt tired after 12 hour sleeps, I realized that they couldn't be good for me. And so now I try to make sure I obtain between 8 and 10 hours a night, aiming for the prime amount of 9 hours. (Not scientifically prime, mind you, but 9 seems like a good number for me personally).

The best advice I can give you is to aim for a specific lower number via alarms. I suppose you should also use alarms even on days when you have no plans. If it doesn't work at first, I wouldn't worry, because your body just might need to adjust to this somewhat new sleep schedule. After a while, it could very well sort itself out.

Bear in mind, I'm not a doctor. I hope this helped anyway.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
the very model of a scientist salarian
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

View Posts: 24,851

This is probably dumb, but have you tried drinking a huge glass of water right before you sleep? Unless you have a magical bladder of steel, the urge to pee might be enough to wake you up after a more reasonable amount of sleep.

If it continues, though, you should probably pop to a doctor, just to make sure there's no issues. From memory, I think iron deficiency can cause you to be more tired, so it could even be something as simple as that.

"you're not as bad as everyone says you are."
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Glorious Leader
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,235

In my experience, AM hours are a hell of a lot less effective than PM hours. To explain: sleeping from 10PM-8AM seems to be better for me than, say, 1AM-11AM (I have lie-in time pouring out of my ass, right now, I've had time to experiment.) perhaps an earlier to bed-earlier to rise system would be better for you?

Edit: worst comes to worst, buy an industrial-strength alarm clock. Something that makes a smoke detector caliber noise. It won't be fun, but it'll get you up.

If even that doesn't work, there may be a different problem. Some people become oblivious to ALL things when they're asleep (it's a condition I can't name), sorta like the deepest sleep you can imagine. In this case, I believe there may be prescription electrocution alarm clocks, although I MAY have made those up.
Last Edited by Blak; 07-10-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 AM
erudesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofRedHelms View Post
The best advice I can give you is to aim for a specific lower number via alarms. I suppose you should also use alarms even on days when you have no plans. If it doesn't work at first, I wouldn't worry, because your body just might need to adjust to this somewhat new sleep schedule. After a while, it could very well sort itself out.

Bear in mind, I'm not a doctor. I hope this helped anyway.
It's cool <3 Thanks for your post!

Even if I end up falling asleep at let's say... 9pm, I still somehow wake up at 11pm/12pm the next day. So sleeping earlier doesn't really seem to make some sort of effect. I've been trying it for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panique View Post
This is probably dumb, but have you tried drinking a huge glass of water right before you sleep? Unless you have a magical bladder of steel, the urge to pee might be enough to wake you up after a more reasonable amount of sleep.
Wow... I never thought of that! I guess I could give it a try tonight and see what happens.

Quote:
If it continues, though, you should probably pop to a doctor, just to make sure there's no issues. From memory, I think iron deficiency can cause you to be more tired, so it could even be something as simple as that.
I might have to see a doctor soon about it. The last time I saw one, I did have iron problems, but this was years ago and the issue was sorted out. So hmm... Guess I'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Blak View Post
In my experience, AM hours are a hell of a lot less effective than PM hours. To explain: sleeping from 10PM-8AM seems to be better for me than, say, 1AM-11AM (I have lie-in time pouring out of my ass, right now, I've had time to experiment.) perhaps an earlier to bed-earlier to rise system would be better for you?
Like I said above, sleeping earlier just comes up with the same results. It's worse because I sleep in more if I sleep earlier.

Quote:
Edit: worst comes to worst, buy an industrial-strength alarm clock. Something that makes a smoke detector caliber noise. It won't be fun, but it'll get you up.
I should hire a personal jet just to sonic-boom past my window every morning. It could work, but all the glass and roof and everything would just shatter. I need something loud man. :/

Quote:
If even that doesn't work, there may be a different problem. Some people become oblivious to ALL things when they're asleep (it's a condition I can't name), sorta like the deepest sleep you can imagine. In this case, I believe there may be prescription electrocution alarm clocks, although I MAY have made those up.
I might have to look into that if everything else fails and I end up seeing a doctor. From what I know, I sleep like a damn log and noises rarely wake me up, unless it's a car going through the front door or something. I sleep through dogs barking and people knocking on my door everyday.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM
rotaredom
View Posts: 11,979

Sleeping too much can IMO be a sign that you're very worn out mentally (and maybe physically) from something. The more exhausted you are the more time you are bound to need to recover, I guess? So again, maybe something (or several things) is draining your energy a lot when you're awake.
I know for sure that when I've had really exhausting/stressful days, I've slept a lot.

Also I have heard that if you miss hours of sleep, your body tries to catch up on those hours the next time(s) you sleep. So it could be a sign that you are catching up with lost sleep. Basically, lost hours of sleep could be piling up on you.

Hope this helps,
Will
Last Edited by ich Will; 07-13-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
erudesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZ4E View Post
Sleeping too much can IMO be a sign that you're very worn out mentally (and maybe physically) from something. The more exhausted you are the more time you are bound to need to recover, I guess? So again, maybe something (or several things) is draining your energy a lot when you're awake.
I know for sure that when I've had really exhausting/stressful days, I've slept a lot.

Also I have heard that if you miss hours of sleep, your body tries to catch up on those hours the next time(s) you sleep. So it could be a sign that you are catching up with lost sleep.

Hope this helps,
Will
I think my hobby/profession is what is causing me tremendous mental stress on a daily basis (art and illustration). It's not something I can really put down, so that could be a major problem. Even when I take breaks, I'm still thinking about it.

I know for sure that my body is not trying to catch up on sleep, because I have been sleeping around 10+ hrs a day occasionally, which is just odd.

Thanks for the post. (:
Last Edited by EternaLegend; 07-13-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: ich Will
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 AM
rotaredom
View Posts: 11,979

My pleasure! Atleast you are actually sleeping plenty of hours, instead of sleeping too little which if ya ask me is worse.