Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
No more poison~
Send a message via Skype™ to Great White North
View Posts: 4,501
All aboard the Period Train, Moonsisters!

Admittedly, I can't be sure as to how much social stigma remains around the topic to this day, but I've decided that a discussion is in order.

My original thought was that this be a thread for the women mostly, but I guess it's also good that we get men involved if not in the discussion, then at least in the learning of this very large biological topic.

The Menstrual Cycle.

Also known as the Period, PMS, and Oh my Gawd look at the blood-

I'm a university science student, so this isn't a BIG topic of learning on the biological side for me, but I might learn a tad regarding the social aspects.

So let's get this ball rolling.

How many of you girls have noticed that after living with and/or around another women for a period of time, your cycles may become synchronized?

This phenomena is called "Menstrual Synchrony", and yes it is a highly debated topic.
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
It's like watching two monkeys at the puberty zoo.

View Posts: 24,752
Re: All aboard the Period Train, Moonsisters!

Eh, I lived with my mother and sister for years, and never noticed any particular tense times of the month if you catch my drift. I live with three boys now, so I don't think any of their periods have synchronised with mine. I've never checked, so I guess I can't be sure.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
No more poison~

Quote:
particular tense times of the month if you catch my drift
Honestly, yeah. I've lived with my mom my whole life and there really hasn't been times when I go O.O something must be going on downstairs. She's pretty normal all month long.
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM

View Posts: 1,461

I've never experienced synced periods either, ahaha.

However! My body always likes to sync up with important dates. Like the day I'm going to be on the train for six hours, or easter.

God I hate travelling during my time of the month. It's bad enough that I get travel sick, I don't need to feel like jupiter's all up in my womb! :C

here i am with my ninja clan ninja clan here we stand
1 person liked this post: Artemis
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Willow-chan Willow-chan is a female United States Willow-chan is offline

View Posts: 3,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
Also known as the Period, PMS
Well, PMS is actually different from the actual menstrual cycle. PMS is premenstrual syndrome, which what happens for some women right before getting their period (irritability, depression, mood swings, etc). If it's severe enough, some women are placed on medications to help control it such as SSRI antidepressants, hormonal contraception, or herbal treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White North
How many of you girls have noticed that after living with and/or around another women for a period of time, your cycles may become synchronized?

This phenomena is called "Menstrual Synchrony", and yes it is a highly debated topic.
I actually believe there is validity to this. I've actually noticed that I have synchronized with my friends in college when classes are in session who sit with me every day.

Oddly, though, I've never noticed a pattern with matching up with my mother, who I live with and am around on a daily basis more than my friends at school. So go figure.

- - -
The World is closed by the walls
The birds are the only creatures allowed to fly beyond the walls
The birds are known for delivering forgotten dreams

La fille qui a des ailes grises
- - -

Tumblr
Last Edited by Willow-chan; 05-21-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Florina Laufeyson, Great White North
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
~
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi

View Posts: 17,261

This thread has potential, but it's definitely one of the most awkward threads ever. OMG. xD

I have actually experienced synced periods with other ladies. It was a positive and negative experience at the same time. Positive, because we supported each other in these troubled times and negative, because we all were a bit tense because of the situation.

It's magic. But I don't really see its point.

I'm not... too out of order when it's that time of the month and I'm pretty certain that another person can't just tell I'm on my period, but I tend to be more emotional.

Things don't work? Time to sob inside.

x3

Ne szólj, ne sírj, e bonthatatlan
Börtönt ne lásd;
És én majd elvégzem magamban,
Hogy zsarnokságom megbocsásd.
Last Edited by Nesi; 05-21-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Great White North
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
No more poison~

Another anecdote,

Many of my guy friends get all aldkfhadk;lf when a woman starts talking about her period. And I kind of go like that when it's brought up in an obvious joke sort of way.

But my mom is a nurse, and the first time I asked where babies came from, SHE TOLD ME RIGHT DOWN TO THE MINUTE BIOLOGICAL PROCESS.

Biology is not an awkward topic for me.

/me sees self giving daughter THE TALK in twenty years.

Quote:
Well, PMS is actually different from the actual menstrual cycle. PMS is premenstrual syndrome, which what happens for some women right before getting their period (irritability, depression, mood swings, etc). If it's severe enough, some women are placed on medications to help control it such as SSRI antidepressants, hormonal contraception, or herbal treatments.
Then it's almost a bit of societal ignorance when the terms are used interchangeably. :V
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM
~
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi

View Posts: 17,261

Quote:
Another anecdote,

Many of my guy friends get all aldkfhadk;lf when a woman starts talking about her period. And I kind of go like that when it's brought up in an obvious joke sort of way.

But my mom is a nurse, and the first time I asked where babies came from, SHE TOLD ME RIGHT DOWN TO THE MINUTE BIOLOGICAL PROCESS.

*APPROVES*

I sometimes don't like the "ew periods" reaction. I mean haha, I know it's... weird, but I have to deal with it every month and it doesn't help that you remind me that you find it disgusting. To be honest, I'd like to live in a world in which I don't have to be ashamed of what my body is periodically doing.

Ne szólj, ne sírj, e bonthatatlan
Börtönt ne lásd;
És én majd elvégzem magamban,
Hogy zsarnokságom megbocsásd.
5 people liked this post: Bear, Great White North, Luna Tique, Peekay, Willow-chan
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Then it's almost a bit of societal ignorance when the terms are used interchangeably. :V
Yeah, I think people do use it interchangeably a lot! Actually, when I was a kid, I used to think menstruating and PMS were a same time thing. I knew PMS involved the symptoms of irritability and whatnot (you know, they often say on TV shows when a girl is pissed "Uh oh, I think SHES PMSING NOW"). But I had assumed it was something that occurred during menstruation until I learned otherwise.

Quote:
Another anecdote,

Good to hear you aren't hung up on silliness like that! Yeah, I don't understand why some guys get awkward about it, either. I mean, I can sort of understand based on where the blood is coming from. But really, from a biological standpoint, all it is is the uterine lining shedding what was meant to nourish an embryo if conception occurred. The process of menstruation isn't a "beautiful" or fun thing for us ladies to deal with, but without it there'd be no babies in the world.

- - -

- - -

Tumblr
Last Edited by Willow-chan; 05-21-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM
'Tis Death I wed
View Posts: 1,596

I can't say I've had experience with synced periods, but:

I did have a teacher in high school who absolutely refused to talk about childbirth, periods, or any other "female biological function." He threatened to put anyone who mentioned it in his class to detention. I never understood it. It's a biological function like anything else. Yeah, I can see why guys wouldn't want to talk about it, but to absolutely deny it exists because it grosses you out is so immature to me.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM
No more poison~

Quote:
I sometimes don't like the "ew periods" reaction. I mean haha, I know it's... weird, but I have to deal with it every month and it doesn't help that you remind me that you find it disgusting. To be honest, I'd like to live in a world in which I don't have to be ashamed of what my body is periodically doing.
Quote:
Good to hear you aren't hung up on silliness like that! Yeah, I don't understand why some guys get awkward about it, either. I mean, I can sort of understand based on where the blood is coming from. But really, from a biological standpoint, all it is is the uterine lining shedding what was meant to nourish an embryo if conception occurred. The process of menstruation isn't a "beautiful" or fun thing for us ladies to deal with, but without it there'd be no babies in the world.
I agree. The stigma associated with it is probably something handed down though traditional family views and other some such.

And while no, I wouldn't go stick my hand in period blood without wearing gloves or something, I can't see what is really so gross about it as compared to other types of blood and wounds. There might be an instinctive aversion to that sort of stuff, like how some people avoid dissections in high school, but it's something we should as a society overcome.

Any children I have will certainly be raised with that outlook.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

The only time in living memory that something related to that made me a bit green around the gills was when my family had a pet cat and I walked into the bathroom one night to find her giving birth on the floor.
1 person liked this post: Nesi
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
OLÉ, OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ
View Posts: 17,957

I've heard that women get really horny during their monthly visit to periodland. Not really sure if it's true though. Or maybe it was only when you combine menstruation with hormone-based birth control. Is there any truth to any of that?
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
'Tis Death I wed
View Posts: 1,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
I've heard that women get really horny during their monthly visit to periodland. Not really sure if it's true though. Or maybe it was only when you combine menstruation with hormone-based birth control. Is there any truth to any of that?
It depends on the person, but generally, yes, the sex drive increases for women when they're on their periods. Sometimes it's a few days before or after it actually starts. There hasn't been any real explanation why, but the best I can assume is because of hormonal fluctuations.

Also, sex can be more pleasurable when a woman is on her period, because of the increased blood flow to the vaginal walls.

However, like I said, this depends on the person. Some girls will have NO libido before, during or after their periods.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

View Posts: 21,700

[3:12:50 PM] Matt (Great White North): this thread demands your presence
[3:12:58 PM] Matt (Great White North): All aboard the Period Train, Moonsisters!
[3:13:17 PM] Florina Belmont: omg
[3:13:30 PM] Florina Belmont: omfg. its like you knew i was gonna start my period today XD XD

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
I've never experienced synced periods either, ahaha.

However! My body always likes to sync up with important dates. Like the day I'm going to be on the train for six hours, or easter.

God I hate travelling during my time of the month. It's bad enough that I get travel sick, I don't need to feel like jupiter's all up in my womb! :C
I always end up having my period when some big event happens and i gotta travel. Suuuuuucks.

As for synchronization, its happened to me loads of times. Like my sister-in-law and I often get synched, and my mum (before she hit "the change") and i would start at the same time. I have an online friend that would be all having the Crimson Wave the same time i am too. It happens. Is it an actually thing that always happens? I dunno

Quote:
I agree. The stigma associated with it is probably something handed down though traditional family views and other some such.

And while no, I wouldn't go stick my hand in period blood without wearing gloves or something, I can't see what is really so gross about it as compared to other types of blood and wounds. There might be an instinctive aversion to that sort of stuff, like how some people avoid dissections in high school, but it's something we should as a society overcome.

Any children I have will certainly be raised with that outlook.[COLOR="Silver"]
Actually, its a bit different than like, wound blood. (this gets kinda grody, beware!) Its basically uteral lining and junk. Its...got an odor to it. Its often a different texture too (and even different color at certain times in the cycle) so yeah. Its quite different. I personally find it way grosser than normal blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Ehhh that varies depending on the lady in question. I noticed a lot of ladies who dont experience a lot of pain or discomfort with their cycles, do tend to get a bit more randy around that time. I mean if you look at it at a purely biological standpoint, its basically human version of going into heat. (sorta) So in some ladies, their hormones are all "sdjfhgdjgfdgfdhjfsd " and stuff. For me? lol HELLZ NAW! I experience a lot of discomfort with such and dont get that randy feeling.

As for PMS, i get that in a bad way a lot of the time. Bloating, crankiness, feeling crappy. Yeah.
ef hann á sér í vá veru
hitki hann veit
hvat hann skal viđ kveđa
ef hans freista firar

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 PM
No more poison~

Quote:
Actually, its a bit different than like, wound blood. (this gets kinda grody, beware!) Its basically uteral lining and junk. Its...got an odor to it. Its often a different texture too (and even different color at certain times in the cycle) so yeah. Its quite different. I personally find it way grosser than normal blood.
Well yeah. I know about that /me biology student.

I just meant that the differences, while they might be kind of "stanky man" and "eww feel how sticky that is", don't really justify an instinctive aversion to discussion of the topic or even study of it, especially when the same people can easily watch and discuss movies with graphical depictions of lobotomy.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Rock Star Jerk Supremo
View Posts: 9,359

YEAH LETS BREAK THE STIGMA!

Almost all girls have periods.

They're uncomfortable, and they suck, and I think they're God's practical joke.

For guys who do not know how to "handle" a menstruating woman: Listen to what she says, and what she doesn't say. Know that she may have mood swings, and nothing you can say or do or don't say or don't do will change it. Do NOT take it personally: it's just something that happens.

Periods are uncomfortable and painful both physically and mentally. Women get embarrassed by it, but they shouldn't- because a period just means that woman's body is functioning well and not pregnant.

Aleve works better than any other over-the-counter I've used. I've tried herbal remedies, but it really doesn't help. Nothing has ever worked better than Aleve.

Midol makes it worse for some women.

Exercise helps, but it's really hard to do when all fluids, iron, and energy are depleted.

YADDA YADDA that's a period!

Also:

Pad with wings:

Pad without wings:

Pantiliner:

Tampon:

KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Schizophrenic Pretzel Schizophrenic Pretzel is a female United States Schizophrenic Pretzel is offline
I'm thinking of a number between one and tapioca.
View Posts: 215

I have synced up with someone before and it was actually pretty funny. We both could exchange that look and just know that we'd be getting icecream to make ourselves feel better. XD

Now though I rarely have those monthly visits. Due to a health condition I have them once every 3 months (if I have them at all). It's very freeing to not have to deal with that every month.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Tampon View Post
I have synced up with someone before and it was actually pretty funny. We both could exchange that look and just know that we'd be getting icecream to make ourselves feel better. XD
LOL, I know what you mean by "that look"! Kind of "Wait..you have it? I have it too, suffer with me" sort of thing. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinasaur
As for PMS, i get that in a bad way a lot of the time. Bloating, crankiness, feeling crappy. Yeah.
Me too. :( I also feel pretty sad at times, get offended easily, get annoyed easily, etc. Sometimes I find myself sitting on the bus, just kind of looking at people around me and getting pissed off at them for no reason. Then I realize when I start wondering why they're bothering me so much what's probably the culprit for those feelings, lol.

And I have to say, Breeze's post was so adorable to me. So teacher-ish, your profession is coming through. <33

- - -

- - -

Tumblr
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
copyright lololol
Send a message via Skype™ to Tess

View Posts: 2,684

Haha yes I've synced up with girls before. I used to live with a few girls a couple years ago and we would just give each other a look and we all knew xD

I've synced up with my mom, as well. Currently I'm on a birth control that has my period come every 3 months (which is why I'm on it) and it's wonderful. She gets hers normally when I would be getting mine, every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow-chan View Post
Me too. :( I also feel pretty sad at times, get offended easily, get annoyed easily, etc. Sometimes I find myself sitting on the bus, just kind of looking at people around me and getting pissed off at them for no reason. Then I realize when I start wondering why they're bothering me so much what's probably the culprit for those feelings, lol.
I'm the same! Haha it's horrible. I get annoyed so easily and will get frustrated even if I drop something by accident. I'll also cry about things that I normally wouldn't cry about.

I used to get the woooorst cramps ever before going onto the pill. I would curl up in bed and cry with a hot water bottle against my back. I wouldn't want to move or do anything because I was in so much pain. Getting up was no fun either because it was like an avalanche!
2 people liked this post: Florina Laufeyson, Willow-chan
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM
No more poison~

I'm rather surprised that given how prevalent they are that no one has produced some form of medication that specifically reduces or eliminates cramps.

Word of advice to the few guys that will brave into unknown territory: When she says she's got cramps, chances are she means it and maybe that foot rub she asked for is a good option right now.

Ya know, assuming that you're nice enough to do something like that for someone :/.