Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,658
Should I take the SATs again?

Hey. I recall scoting in the 1800's last year on my SAT exam. I'm wondering about other people's opinions on whether or not that is a good score.

If it helps any, my goal is to go to college for an Animation major.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Willow-chan Willow-chan is a female United States Willow-chan is offline

View Posts: 3,628
Re: Should I take the SATs again?

Hmm, that always seems to be a fuzzy question for most people. I think it largely depends on what college you aim to get into. What a college looks for in terms of SAT scores varies along with how they look at the score - some look at the overall score, while others put more emphasis on the individual parts (sometimes more on math or more on English).

But generally speaking, I think your SAT score is quite good! It's definitely far above what's considered "average" or "normal" (which I think is around 1500 if I'm not mistaken).

Personally, I took the SAT twice and I've found my score the second time wasn't much different. The first time I got 1920 I believe and the second time I think it went up to 1950 or something. I heard from other students and teachers that taking it a second time often doesn't result in a big difference in terms of increasing one's grade. But it doesn't hurt to take it again - it doesn't look bad to colleges, it's just more of a "sacrifice" in terms of money and time (because God, was my behind and legs numb after sitting through the SAT).

So overall, I think the best move you could do is find out what SAT scores your college(s) of interest are looking for and have a talk with your college advisor about it.

- - -
The World is closed by the walls
The birds are the only creatures allowed to fly beyond the walls
The birds are known for delivering forgotten dreams

La fille qui a des ailes grises
- - -

Tumblr: personal | faith/inspirational
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow-chan View Post
Hmm, that always seems to be a fuzzy question for most people. I think it largely depends on what college you aim to get into. What a college looks for in terms of SAT scores varies along with how they look at the score - some look at the overall score, while others put more emphasis on the individual parts (sometimes more on math or more on English).

But generally speaking, I think your SAT score is quite good! It's definitely far above what's considered "average" or "normal" (which I think is around 1500 if I'm not mistaken).

Personally, I took the SAT twice and I've found my score the second time wasn't much different. The first time I got 1920 I believe and the second time I think it went up to 1950 or something. I heard from other students and teachers that taking it a second time often doesn't result in a big difference in terms of increasing one's grade. But it doesn't hurt to take it again - it doesn't look bad to colleges, it's just more of a "sacrifice" in terms of money and time (because God, was my behind and legs numb after sitting through the SAT).

So overall, I think the best move you could do is find out what SAT scores your college(s) of interest are looking for and have a talk with your college advisor about it.
Thanks

Yeah, I will be talking to my guidance counselor soon about the entire college process. It wouldn't hurt to bring this up.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 01:35 PM
**** YEAH!
Send a message via Skype™ to America
Steam ID: colton_o_weekly
View Posts: 1,299

If you can take it again, I'd say go ahead. It won't hurt, don't colleges just focus on the best score you get on the SAT?
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
If you can take it again, I'd say go ahead. It won't hurt, don't colleges just focus on the best score you get on the SAT?
I remember hearing that the latest score is painted over any previous score.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,443

Pretty sure they take the best score for a section out of how many times you take it.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 PM

You're welcome!

And unless it changed since I took the SAT a few years ago, I'm pretty sure that what America and Gamzee said is right - the best score is the one they focus on.

But if you're meeting your guidance counselor like you said, be sure to double check!

- - -

- - -

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM
**** YEAH!
Send a message via Skype™ to America
Steam ID: colton_o_weekly
View Posts: 1,299

Yeah, so the worst case is that you just lose some money
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Parrot Grass Parrot Grass is a male United States Parrot Grass is offline
Hero of Time
Send a message via Skype™ to Parrot Grass
Steam ID: KamiTsurugi
View Posts: 13,610

Definitely go again. If it increases, the bit it increases can help. They focus on the highest scores and, mainly, the Math and Critical Reading. It's a really good idea to do your best to get those 2 combined scores to 1250, as I have seen a lot of the better school scholarships home in on that score.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Okay. There is a chance I might be wrong about whether or not they just pick the best score. I'll be sure to check again.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 04:53 PM
A citizen of the world, known to all and to all a stranger
View Posts: 4,184

I only took the SATs once, because I didn't feel like taking the damn thing again just to gain 80 points at most. But I imagine taking it again could benefit you. Your score is not bad, but I'm confident you can get a better one.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM
demmedillusive demmedillusive is a female United States demmedillusive is offline
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 24

You're score is enough to get into any "regular" university, public or private. However, upper-level colleges like Duke or the Ivies will generally require 2000+ unless you are a minority, get in through sports, or have an awesome transcript with tons of awards and community service. Majoring in Animation, you might want to consider an art college (but NOT an art institute). Art colleges would love an SAT score like that. Some require portfolios as a replacement for GPA and SAT, but I don't know how applications to Animation departments work.
I scored a 1950 and was accepted into all the universities I applied to, some for a Fine Arts major and others for Mechanical Engineering (I was wishy washy on a major at the time). I only took the SAT once because it is a miserable test. Some friends took it three times for the 20-60 point boost. It's not worth the money.
Decide on some colleges you would consider and then check out their requirements. You probably meet all of them already. Work on constructing a well-rounded transcript instead. Join a sports team, do Debate Club, or volunteer. Schools want overall good students more than they want a perfect 2400.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM

What is the difference between an art college and an art institute?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow-chan View Post

Holy crap, I got a 1920 on my first SAT too!

Yeah I was actually wondering if I should take the SAT's again as well. I seem to be at that mark that is just below the minimal SAT expectation for Ivy Leagues but ahead of everything else. I'm not quite sure of where I want to go, but I'm thinking of Embry Riddle.

- Mary Kay Ash
1 person liked this post: Willow-chan
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Hime
View Posts: 1,790

no no no no NOT HERE TOO!!

Here I am, procastinating my practice tests and preparation, and there you are, bringing the subject up.

I'm taking the SAT in October for the final time before I apply to colleges. I've scored a 1900 the first time, and the second time I took it I managed to bump it up to a 2050, though I'm fairly sure that it was luck. I'm really hoping I can pull off the seemingly impossible and get above a 2100.

It's been FOREVER, ZU.

FOREVER.

HOW YOU BEEN!?
Last Edited by Phenomiracle; 09-10-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM
A citizen of the world, known to all and to all a stranger
View Posts: 4,184

Some colleges let you only send in your best score for each section, but some require all your scores.

I didn't research it all that much, because I never retook the test. I was happy with a 2320. (brag, brag, brag...)
Last Edited by Vulpes; 09-10-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 PM
demmedillusive demmedillusive is a female United States demmedillusive is offline
Deku Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Giant View Post
What is the difference between an art college and an art institute?
Art Institutes and art colleges are both very expensive (though with a good transcript and SAT you can get nice scholarships from an art college. I'm not sure how institutes handle Financial Aid or scholarships). They are both schools and they are both accredited, however I find that if a college advertises itself a lot then less of your money is allocated towards a good education. Rumor on the internet is the Institutes are a scam, but it's more that they are a poor quality school for the price you pay (according to reviews of visitors and former students).
Another problem- if you ever want to transfer to another school outside of the Institutes, your credits will NOT transfer to most colleges if any. You are screwed should you prefer to go to an art college or university after a couple years in an Institute.
I personally don't think it's worth the money or risk to go to an Institute, and art colleges are only worth it if you know an art or design degree is your destiny. Even then, job competition is fierce. 40k a year for school is insanity.

(Community colleges FTW!!! )
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the insight. I suppose then, it wouldn't be too bad if I completed Gen Ed material in a community college (FTW!) before going to an institute, which might be a possibility. I may not be able to transfer credits FROM the institute, but from emailing admissions people, apparently admissions TO a certain institute is possible for the school I inquired about.

I know how an art college can be expensive. The issue I face, though, is that I don't know what other field I could shine in. I wouldn't be engaged in pursuing any other kind of career. Sometimes I feel foolish for not electing to pursue a career in electrical engineering, or something like that, as those types of careers look like the most well-paying.

Just that common fear of making a choice you might regret. But then, I've heard of people regretting that they HADN'T pursued an art major, which in the end, compells me to just go with my desire.

Oh, boy. I just realized that, assuming I take the test again, I will have to start studying for the SATs again. Man,did that suck!
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Giant View Post
The issue I face, though, is that I don't know what other field I could shine in. I wouldn't be engaged in pursuing any other kind of career. Sometimes I feel foolish for not electing to pursue a career in electrical engineering, or something like that, as those types of careers look like the most well-paying.

Just that common fear of making a choice you might regret. But then, I've heard of people regretting that they HADN'T pursued an art major, which in the end, compells me to just go with my desire.
Yeah, that's a completely normal fear. ^__^ I think what's most important is doing what makes you happiest. Having a high paying job is ideal and what everyone would want, but imagine the torture it would be to go to a job each day doing something you really don't enjoy just to get that money.

I'm studying to become a pharmacist and I can't believe how many people are in the program who openly admit that they're there for the money or because their parents want them to be there. I have no idea how they do it. What gets me through the stress and the torment of sleep deprivation is knowing that becoming a pharmacist is what I honestly want. I'm excited about my goal!

And that excitement is what you seem to have about pursuing an art major..so I say if that's how you feel, explore it and follow through with it! If it's not for you, you can always switch to something else. The first year or two of college is prerequisites that everyone has to complete anyhow, so you have leeway to change if that is your wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Giant
Oh, boy. I just realized that, assuming I take the test again, I will have to start studying for the SATs again. Man,did that suck!
Haha! Oh man, that does suck..I didn't enjoy studying for the SATs, either. But with heavy workload I had junior year with AP courses, I didn't study too insanely intense for the SAT. It really wasn't possible with all the other things I had to do with school. :/

- - -

- - -

1 person liked this post: Justin
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Deku Scrub

I felt the same way when I was applying for colleges. My parents fully supported my wish to get major in Studio Art and I believed that majoring in what I loved was the most important thing. Then I actually did a commission and realized that that occupation wasn't for me. I'm in my first semester at a community college getting an AS of Science. I plan to transfer into a university for mechanical engineering. And earlier this year I said I would never take a physics class. I say keep an open mind and don't limit yourself. You can be brilliant in Animiation or rocket science or both! It's all up to you.
You have a good SAT score so I don't think a job in engineering or science would be too hard. Engineering is a great way to channel your creativity into solutions and projects. Plus the job market is much better for people with knowledge of science and technology. Do what you can see yourself excelling in. Even if it's not a glamorous job (not that Animation IS but compared to IT work but it does look a lot more fun ) if it challenges you creatively and intellectually, then it will be just as fulfilling. Go for animation if that's what you want, the computer classes you will take can only help should you change majors later on.
Now, I recommend comm colleges to everyone - not because they're perfect, they have their own faults - but the pros far outweigh the cons. One, the money. Universities are about 10x the cost of a comm college. Even better if you can live at home and go to school. Two, getting an AS. You leave after two years with something of substance. Doors will open for jobs, not as many as with a BS but some will, just for having an Associates degree. Three, if you go to a uni or college in state, the schools generally make deals with the comm college so that MOST of your credits will transfer (at a much better rate than uni-to-uni transfer). If you go out of state or in state, having an AS will give you even more chance of all your credits transferring. Schools do respect the degree and will work with you to ensure you get the most out of it in terms of credit hours. I would recommend against getting a Liberal Arts AS however. My sister and brother both got it and it is more than useless when getting a job or transferring to any major that ISN'T in the Liberal Arts. You can always take animation classes as electives with whichever focus you choose (check first to see if the school offers it. Most CCs offer tons of electives, but it's always good to make sure). I think both AS will fulfill the Animation Major basic requirements because it seems specialized enough to require only a minimum of Gen Ed classes.
BUT if you choose to go to an art college that is totally cool too. I hope you love what you do and make the most out of it!