Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,642
Newbie's Guide 2.0 - your turn

As you may know, the Newbie's Guide 2.0 is in development, but it's going slow. You're tired of waiting for it, Me and Erimgard are tired trying to find time to write it.

So what we've decided to do is let you - yes, you - write it.

Do you consider yourself an expert in one of the fields that is listed at the bottom of this post? Then you can contribute to ZU's Newbie's Guide to Theorizing 2.0 by simply write up a piece on that subject. The current version of the Newbie's Guide should be an example of how a well-written piece looks like. There are important things to remember when you write a guide. Some of them are:

- Use corect spelling and grammar
- Stay on target. It's easy to get sidetracked
- Do not promote theories (unless this is the purpose)
- Refrain from using fancy or difficult words. We've got a broad audience
- Don't be too academic. This is not a university essay. Be light-spirited (or something)

Again, the current version of the Newbie's Guide should serve as a good example. The most important thing is probably to try to keep your post short and to the point and still write it in a way that people will want to keep on reading. Aim for -1 page in lenght, alth0ugh if you have a complex topic you may of course go further.

Every piece is to be submitted in a PM to myself or Erimgard. Your piece will be reviewed by the person you sent it to. If it's any good the other person will review it as well. We'll contact you and tell you if it's good or not and what needs to be done if it's not good enough. It might be that there are some minor edeting or formatting to be done but those small things won't make us reject your entry, we'll just fix them for you

Once all topics have been filled, me and Erimgard will just piece it together and put it up. Every person who got his piece into the guide will of course be credited in the guide itself and will also be given a special JPEG to put in their sig

The topics we need written are:

Seal War
AoL BS
Titles of Ganon
Links to other sites like Zeldawiki or ZI
LA's possible placements
Abbreviations/Terms
Links to text dumps
How to Quote
Levels of Canon/Semi-canon
Japanese Translations

So there you go. Pick a topic - follow the guidelines - write - submit! Easy!

We really hope to make this guide as complete as possible and that's only possible with the help of you guys.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Studied Zelda Lore: 2002-2009 [Sealed Forever]
Send a message via AIM to LOZ Historian
View Posts: 2,588
Re: Newbie's Guide 2.0 - your turn

I came in here posting a bunch of stuff earlier, only to realize this was a PM submission thread - and then deleted afterward. Sorry if anyone noticed.

Anyway, I can most likely help out with these:

Titles of Ganon
Links to ZI
Japanese Translations

I don't want to hog parts of this guide. I'll most likely hit on the levels of canon and other useful links to ZI's since the staff has been in the midst of developing a system to collect and peer review theorizing resources.

Someone from LA might want to make a general explanation for why newbies may want to consider the fan localization more insightful than NoA works. My Japanese Re-Translation resource thread on ZI is probably the best compilation currently... But don't ask me to copy and thread them here. There is no way in HELL I'm color coding those things again - sorry kiddies. A link is all you will get.

Edit:

On the point I made about informing Newbies on the Timeline specifics in your other guide, you might want to branch Zelda Theorizing into two sections:

Storyline Theorizing

Simple Definition: Any element/s studied within a sole plot-setting; hypothesizing an explanation for how, what, when, and or where a correlation exists - something which the title does not outright state in-game or through any other canonical resources.

Timeline Theorizing

Simple Definition: Element/s studied between two or more plot-settings; hypothesizing an explanation for how, what, when, and or where a correlation exists - something which the titles do not outright state amongst themselves or through any other canonical resources.

The latter I would branch into a whole different guide (advanced), but since this is a newbies guide, you're probably only going to touch on it mildly in co ordinance to all other material involved.
-------

I'm doing a little bit of foreshadowing here on how I will personally be organizing the levels of canon. Canon levels are distinctly viewed differently between Storyline and Timeline Theorizing (other veterans can attest to this when people tend to use non-storyline related elements as evidence within Timeline Theorizing, etc.). I'll try not to get too complicated, but your one-page-limit is a bit unreasonable.
You can have a timeline, or you can have canon, but not both . If one strictly follows the strictest form of canon, the timeline is ultimately destroyed. On the other hand, if one strives to create the most coherent timeline, the canon must be broken by corollary. It is the unfortunate world in which Nintendo has placed us, and now it is up to decide which road we shall follow: the road of truth where nothing can be created, or the road of imagination where nothing can be destroyed.
[Bomber's Notebook][The History of the UWM][Exposing the Sheikah]
[Zelda Historians]
Last Edited by LOZ Historian; 06-11-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to Oni-TLink
View Posts: 130

Excellent the Newbies Guide v 2.0 project is underway. Well I can offer the following right off the bat...

-Developer Quote Guide (which we talked about)
-Titles of Ganon/Ganon Status
-State of the Triforce throughout the series

I PM'd one of them but let me know about the Triforce one.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982

I can help out with these:

Seal War
AoL BS
Abbreviations/Terms
Links to text dumps
How to Quote
Japanese Translations

...although the first two may well just wind up being condensed versions of my Bomber articles on those respective subjects, minus the theory-promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ Historian
But don't ask me to copy and thread them here. There is no way in HELL I'm color coding those things again - sorry kiddies.
y'know you can just copy the source code directly from ZI if you "quote" yourself (or use the edit form) while using the boards, right?

In any case, Historian's quote stockpile is definitely my favorite in terms of format. We might try to trim out translation notes that aren't purely informative though (that is, those that don't shed light on specific Japanese words or differences between translations and instead are personal interpretations)

I can write a guide on the localization process as a companion to the quote stockpile if that would be appropriate.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
theunabletable theunabletable is a male United States theunabletable is offline
(◕‿◕✿)
Send a message via AIM to theunabletable
View Posts: 4,219

I could help out on LAs placement since I have a lot of experience with that and I'm pretty neutral about it, too.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,642

There's no "hogging" of topics. If - for example - LOZH writes about the Seal War and then SVB writes about the Seal War as well we're just gonna pick the best of them. Sorry LOZH, but someone did better than you xD
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Studied Zelda Lore: 2002-2009 [Sealed Forever]
Send a message via AIM to LOZ Historian
View Posts: 2,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre de Mundo View Post
Sorry LOZH, but someone did better than you xD
What-the-hell?

Hey wait, I have not submitting anything, yet - for the record. You're too funny.
You can have a timeline, or you can have canon, but not both . If one strictly follows the strictest form of canon, the timeline is ultimately destroyed. On the other hand, if one strives to create the most coherent timeline, the canon must be broken by corollary. It is the unfortunate world in which Nintendo has placed us, and now it is up to decide which road we shall follow: the road of truth where nothing can be created, or the road of imagination where nothing can be destroyed.
[Bomber's Notebook][The History of the UWM][Exposing the Sheikah]
[Zelda Historians]
Last Edited by LOZ Historian; 06-12-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, newbie, turn