Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
HeroOfShadows HeroOfShadows is a male United States HeroOfShadows is offline
Kokiri
View Posts: 83
Timeline Debate

Okay, so i know everyone has their own timeline and theory to the chronological events of every zelda game. However, one thing I don't understand, If there is in fact supposed to be a timeline, and nintendo officials are working on it, isn't that proof that there was never an intention of a timeline? I mean, why would miyamoto need to "work" on a timeline he'd been planning from the original LoZ? And even then, on most timelines, LoZ is not the beginning. Why would he start from the middle of the timeline? It really doesn't make any sense. I see why they would start in the middle of a timeline, rather than the beginning, but that's only if you look at it from the eyes of a programmer. It is my personnal opinion that the timeline theories are all incorrect. I say power to the nonbelievers!

-HoS
Sure, I've been pushed. I've fallen face down on the ground. I've been kicked in the side while I just laid there. Everyone has. The thing that seperates me, as a Hero, from you, is I've stood back up, and faced it all again.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
We're no longer hitchhiking, we're riding!
3DS ID: 3153-4263-2807 (PM me first)

View Posts: 6,883
Re: Timeline Debate

Games in a timeline aren't listed by release date. Plots and story is what makes a timeline placement.

Aonuma is actually the one who is working on a timeline, but Miyamoto did had one. They're actually more focused on creating gameplay designs anyway.
Last Edited by Commander GorMor; 03-17-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to 8zemen>
View Posts: 143

so youre saying that the timelines that the creators have are incorrect? youre saying there is no timeline. there is a confirmed timeline. its confirmed to be a split. the creator, himself, has confirmed where some of the games go on the timeline. we put the pieces together ourselves. its obvious that a timeline was not thought of from the beginning of the series. this is a pointless thread.
"The winds echo of a legend.
A legend of a young boy, clothed in green.
This boy was destined to save Hyrule.
When his destiny called to him, he declined.
He had a bigger dream in mind.
He was to use his green tunic to pretend to be a tree."
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Zemen, stop being rude. This is just a simple question and HeroofShadows is probably new to this.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,653

There may not actually BE a timeline, except for the games ABSOLUTELY confirmed to be linked to eachother in some way... however a lot of people (as well as myself) like the prospect of a timeline as it makes all the games be "as part of the legend" one may say, and that if there was not timeline and each game were like a different version of eachother, it would seem like no game is all that important, if they aren't pivitol to the legend. (That was my opinion at least,)

basically, regardless of an official timeline or not, most Zelda fans just like to construct theories and view others; sort of as a side hobby. and with tons of games and possible connections, and holes that are still not filled, this hobby is something that can give the person to think about; test their logic, historical skills, and also really make them appreciate what this is all like for the game designers as well, (in a lot of threads concerning timelines theories i see, there are multiple references to what the designers said, didn't say, or thinking about what they want to do with the series, so these understandings help us relate to the designers which is really a great thing to do.)

(omg that wasn't very basic was it? ok i'll TRY again.)

BASICALLY V2- it's a good hobby to give us something to think about, and relate to the game designers, and cooperate with other theorists as well as learning to consider and accept many types of ideas.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Gerudo Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goron Moron View Post
Zemen, stop being rude. This is just a simple question and HeroofShadows is probably new to this.
im not gonna go easy on him just because hes new. this is the theorizing world. get used to it.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 558

There is a difference between teaching and being rough.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zemen> View Post
im not gonna go easy on him just because hes new. this is the theorizing world. get used to it.
There's a difference between theorizing and being rude.

Edit: OUCH. I totally got ninja'd.

Back on topic.
Last Edited by Commander GorMor; 03-17-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Triforce of the Gods Triforce of the Gods is a male United States Triforce of the Gods is offline
OBJECTION!
Send a message via AIM to Triforce of the Gods Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce of the Gods
Steam ID: triforceofthegods Wii U ID: TriforceoftheGod 3DS ID: 2921-9263-7348

View Posts: 9,157

Quote:
The mods of this forum have recently told us to be nice. So if you continue to have this attitude, they will infract you for it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Gerudo Thief

nice double team. kudos.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Kokiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura Pulse View Post
There may not actually BE a timeline, except for the games ABSOLUTELY confirmed to be linked to eachother in some way... however a lot of people (as well as myself) like the prospect of a timeline as it makes all the games be "as part of the legend" one may say, and that if there was not timeline and each game were like a different version of eachother, it would seem like no game is all that important, if they aren't pivitol to the legend. (That was my opinion at least,)

basically, regardless of an official timeline or not, most Zelda fans just like to construct theories and view others; sort of as a side hobby. and with tons of games and possible connections, and holes that are still not filled, this hobby is something that can give the person to think about; test their logic, historical skills, and also really make them appreciate what this is all like for the game designers as well, (in a lot of threads concerning timelines theories i see, there are multiple references to what the designers said, didn't say, or thinking about what they want to do with the series, so these understandings help us relate to the designers which is really a great thing to do.)

(omg that wasn't very basic was it? ok i'll TRY again.)

BASICALLY V2- it's a good hobby to give us something to think about, and relate to the game designers, and cooperate with other theorists as well as learning to consider and accept many types of ideas.
Thanks for piecing this together for me. but what I'm saying is, all the developers said was there is a link between the games. That could be anything, from a timeline, to just reusing characters(which they do). as for 8zemen, let him dick me. he's not helping his point or proving me wrong. like he said this is theorizing and if you crush others for their beliefs, then what are you?(christian) Thanks for defending me, but The Hero of Shadows can handle himself. In fact the only reason I brought this up was because i thought it was odd that someone on a locked forum mentioned that the developers were working on a timeline. If they were linked with a timeline, shouldn't it already be finished? and they are releasing games in the middle of the timeline, which means there must be at least some plot holes imbetween each and every game, no matter when it was released. also there must be many plot holes in the timelines. Does that mean that the accepted timeline has the least number of holes? or is that personal oppinion? Also, yes I am new to the theorizing timeline thing. I usually stick to programming and developing, until I saw that one comment. One more thing, If there is a split(like in most timelines) isn't there a chance the same event could happen twice? Sorry, I believe strongly in destiny. no matter what time or era, if it was meant to happen, it will happen. Unless it was destined for the timeline to split and non of the adventures to overlap. a split timeline means link exists in AT LEAST two dimensions. whose to say all of the games weren't the same link, just in different dimensions that took very different courses. We are familiar with the butterfly effect, right? that seems to make since, I mean, almost every game has similar features, like hyrule field and kokiri village and others. and the ones not placed in hyrule could be sequels. but none of the maps look the same. I've never just walked outside and everything was somewhere else all of a sudden.

-HoS
Sure, I've been pushed. I've fallen face down on the ground. I've been kicked in the side while I just laid there. Everyone has. The thing that seperates me, as a Hero, from you, is I've stood back up, and faced it all again.
Last Edited by HeroOfShadows; 03-17-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Gerudo Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroOfShadows View Post
and if you crush others for their beliefs, then what are you?(christian)

that was the best line ive ever seen so now im gonna be nice.

Miyamoto didnt really know there was a timeline til after WW came out and they realized that it was connecting in strange ways. they then decided to start figuring out where some games go and they came to certain conclusions (like the split and WW being on the adult timeline and so on and so forth).

but some games are probably just as hard for them to place as they are for us to place. also, even if they do know the timeline, i doubt they would ever release as a majority of the fans have fun thinking it up themselves and it causes fans to be more focused on the series (which means they make more money). it causes us to replay games and stick with it.

sorry for being a dick before. youre ok in my book.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Wrong Zemen. Haven't you seen the Miyamoto timeline, which existed long before TWW was released?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Triforce of the Gods Triforce of the Gods is a male United States Triforce of the Gods is offline
OBJECTION!
Send a message via AIM to Triforce of the Gods Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce of the Gods
Steam ID: triforceofthegods Wii U ID: TriforceoftheGod 3DS ID: 2921-9263-7348

View Posts: 9,157

Quote:
Miyamoto didnt really know there was a timeline til after WW came out and they realized that it was connecting in strange ways.
The Miyamoto Timeline says hi.

(Miyamoto said after the release of OoT that the timeline was OoT-LoZ/AoL-ALttP)
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,008

Quote:
One more thing, If there is a split(like in most timelines) isn't there a chance the same event could happen twice?
-HoS
this is the kind of thinking I like to use to explain the similarities between the FSA/LttP Dark Worlds and the TP Twilight Realm. They're not the same for many reasons, and we're only given one origin (LttP's). I personally believe that whatever spawned the DW in the AT also caused the TR to appear in the other line. It really facilitates the process to consider the effects of one time line on another.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
theunabletable theunabletable is a male United States theunabletable is offline
(◕‿◕✿)
Send a message via AIM to theunabletable
View Posts: 4,176

Miyamoto and Aonuma have said in the past that there is a huge document that has everything written down in it.

On your bit about LoZ not being first in every timeline and such. It was either Miyamoto or Aonuma who said that it is boring to go in order. It's more fun to jump back and forth. They said something to that extent.

I believe it was in the infamous "FS is first" interview. [quote] The mods of this forum have recently told us to be nice. So if you continue to have this attitude, they will infract you for it.
Quote:
The Miyamoto Timeline says hi.

(Miyamoto said after the release of OoT that the timeline was OoT-LoZ/AoL-ALttP)
Remember that topic that Raien posted about that interview with a guy who said that Miyamoto did not know the timeline? Which was after the "Miyamoto Timeline" was said in the other interview.

Miyamoto may not have actually known the timeline at that time.
Last Edited by theunabletable; 03-17-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982

The timeline was originally LoZ-AoL, with subsequent games expanding on the universe. That said, we can never really say that at any point there wasn't a "complete timeline," just that the timeline is always growing.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Kokiri

. . . if you crush others for their beliefs, then what are you?(christian). . .
Quote:
that was the best line ive ever seen so now im gonna be nice.

Miyamoto didnt really know there was a timeline til after WW came out and they realized that it was connecting in strange ways. they then decided to start figuring out where some games go and they came to certain conclusions (like the split and WW being on the adult timeline and so on and so forth).

but some games are probably just as hard for them to place as they are for us to place. also, even if they do know the timeline, i doubt they would ever release as a majority of the fans have fun thinking it up themselves and it causes fans to be more focused on the series (which means they make more money). it causes us to replay games and stick with it.

sorry for being a dick before. youre ok in my book.
Thanks! sorry for calling you a dick, but I wasn't trying to instigate an argument, I'm just trying to debate like everyone else. Thanks for using my quote! It was kinda funny, wasn't it, lol.

One other issue I want to bring up here, is that they were speaking Japanese(?) or some other language than English, so we could be misquoting them. No two languages directly quote into one another.

With all of the games from zelda, it seems obvious that at least some of them were meant to be sequals, but I'm not sure if you can trace all of them back to one game. The reason I think Miyamoto jumped around on the timeline is programming skills. I am a programmer, and I couldn't imagine playing 8-bit OoT or 3d Link's Adventure. It seems obvious that more advanced storylines were put off until we had the technology to implement them properly. I wouldn't want to write a game with an awsome storyline with terrible graphics. It would only be depressing.

-HoS
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,008

Quote:
With all of the games from zelda, it seems obvious that at least some of them were meant to be sequals, but I'm not sure if you can trace all of them back to one game. The reason I think Miyamoto jumped around on the timeline is programming skills. I am a programmer, and I couldn't imagine playing 8-bit OoT or 3d Link's Adventure. It seems obvious that more advanced storylines were put off until we had the technology to implement them properly. I wouldn't want to write a game with an awsome storyline with terrible graphics. It would only be depressing.

-HoS
this is accurate to some degree, although i believe the Oracle games were very well done, and no less deep than OoT (although less instrumental to theories). I could see them being implemented well in 8-bit. The improvements in storyline probably came about by the increased fan base and the general deepening of games over time.
Last Edited by Slagr; 03-17-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Send a message via AIM to Viral
View Posts: 1,657

I wouldn't say more advanced storylines were saved for the 3D games. LA had a wonderful storyline, as did the Oracle games, as did TMC.

Check out ZeldaInformer.

Bombers Articles: (Zelda Theorising)
The Master Sword Exposed (out of date due to SS, some images missing)
The Oocca: Engineers of Hyrule
The Great War of Ikana
The Mysteries of Malladus: The Demon King's Story

I'll be updating some articles and providing new content at Zelda Informer over December/January (2011/2012)

Last Edited by Viral; 03-18-2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, timeline