Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Theorist of two sides
View Posts: 8,038
Re: Crescent moon geography, redux

No, he said that Earthquakes caused plate Tectonics. When it's the other way around...

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 AM
HARK HARK
Wii U ID: Dr-Reggie (PM me first) 3DS ID: 3153-4263-2807 (PM me first)
View Posts: 7,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceallach View Post
They cannot be the same island. They're "facing" different directions
Quote:
Plate tectonics
I don't see how the plates of the earth can completely turn around the direction of an island.

TWW has many islands with common names or common themes that influence names, Crescent Island being a common name in quite a bit of games, books, shows, etc, I'm sure. This is purely coincidence.

Also this contradicts the theory where people believe that Labyranna (can't spell) is part of AoL's Hyrule.

Does anyone have a map of The Ocean King's Realm for reference?

[Art Thread] [Tumblr][Sig by .Hog]
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Theorist of two sides

Quote:
I don't see how the plates of the earth can completely turn around the direction of an island.
Sigh...

Quote:
Origanally posted by ME
In certain times, the earth's magnetic poles are said to simply flip, North becomes south etc.

When the poles filip, the subsequent patter of Plate tectonics changes drasticly. In this case, they reverse Cresent Island.
Quote:
Does anyone have a map of The Ocean King's Realm for reference?
There's one in my Goron thread... but it doesn't matter, as I'm proposing that Labrynna is east of that...

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
HARK HARK

Oh, well sorry for skipping posts because I'm in a hurry and multitasking. >_>

The name is still purely a coincidence though. Also the region of Labyranna looks like it is connected to a much, much larger piece of land than any of the islands we've seen in TWW. I'll get a map of it eventually, please note that it is the map you see when you press Select.

#25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Tribunal Lord of Wisdom
View Posts: 495

Here's the "in-game" map of Labrynna:

Sorry it's so small.

Timeline:
........../TWW/PH-LoZ/AoL-OoX-TMC-FS/FSA-ALttP/LA
...OoT
..........\MM-TP
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM
HARK HARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceallach View Post
Here's the "in-game" map of Labrynna:

Sorry it's so small.
Thanks. That's exactly what I meant.

#27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via ICQ to Smertios Send a message via AIM to Smertios Send a message via Yahoo to Smertios Send a message via Skype™ to Smertios
View Posts: 2,256

Quote:
Excuse me?

Creasent island is south of Labrynna, and is in the very north of WW.
Therefore, Labrynna is north of the WW sea.

Don't tell me you can't see that.

Edit: And of course we know where north is on both maps. Do you know how? I'll tell you.
ALL MAPS HAVE NORTH AT THE TOP.
Thats some grade 3 education for you. Soak it up, you may need to use it again someday.
I can see that you haven't ever had a good geography teacher. There's no right or worng when you're making a map. You can always draw it facing the way you want. It was a terran convention that agreed to always put the north at the top of maps, but it's not forbidden not to. The only thing that's needed is a compass rose indicating where the north is.

Map - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read it. "Today the most common, but far from universal, cartographic convention is that North is at the top of a map."

So, no compass rose, you can't tell directions in the game. Unless of course you see exactly where the sun rises and where it sets, which is not the case in OoA.

Quote:
In ww we have a compass who show us the west,east,noth and south of the great sea.Just use wind requiem:
YouTube - The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker part 18 The Deku Leaf
crescent moon isle is in the west side of the map.
And you see anything like that in OoA, so we can compare BOTH maps directions??

Quote:
In that case, if you swithed Labrynna's map around so that Crescent Island was facing the same way and in the northern portion of the map, then everything in TWW ocean would be in the same place as Labrynna-- which is impossible
Ehh, have you ever heard about deflood?? Look at Labrynna's past map, you'll see a lot more water there. Before it there was probably even more. Labrynnians should thank the koroks/trees for having such a large land in the present.

Quote:
To defend the idea, the WW island could have rotated slightly over time.
Continental drift takes a very long time, but so would expanding the land mass, so it's not too far-fetched.
Sure thing. It's easier to believe that the island rotated (and for god's sake, have you ever heard about any case like that??) than to believe that OoA map was drawn with a different orientation.

Quote:
Plate tectonics.

'nuff said.
Again. You guys should go learn some basic geography. The only way the island would be able to rotate around its own axix due to movement od tectonic plates would be if there was a quasi-circular plate below the island. And even in that case it's almost impossible, as you can all tell.

Please anyone tell me of one case of a rotating island and I'll take back what I said.

Quote:
Plate tectonics aren't caused by earthquakes...

In certain times, the earth's magnetic poles are said to simply flip, North becomes south etc.

When the poles filip, the subsequent patter of Plate tectonics changes drasticly. In this case, they reverse Cresent Island.
This is not the reason. I mean, it helps a little, but it's not the main reason. The plates would still move if there was no magnetic field at all. This is because the mantle is actually a "sea of magma" on which the plates float. So the movement is kind of natural.

Quote:
Also this contradicts the theory where people believe that Labyranna (can't spell) is part of AoL's Hyrule.
Nope, if we consider that that part of AoL's Hyrule is the same part of the Great Sea. After all, we are all considering deeflooding by the trees.

Quote:
There's one in my Goron thread... but it doesn't matter, as I'm proposing that Labrynna is east of that...
That could work, in case the island was facing the right direction.

Quote:
The name is still purely a coincidence though. Also the region of Labyranna looks like it is connected to a much, much larger piece of land than any of the islands we've seen in TWW. I'll get a map of it eventually, please note that it is the map you see when you press Select.
Deflood, again.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Send a message via AIM to Viral
View Posts: 1,657

Quote:
I can see that you haven't ever had a good geography teacher. There's no right or worng when you're making a map. You can always draw it facing the way you want. It was a terran convention that agreed to always put the north at the top of maps, but it's not forbidden not to. The only thing that's needed is a compass rose indicating where the north is.

Map - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read it. "Today the most common, but far from universal, cartographic convention is that North is at the top of a map."

So, no compass rose, you can't tell directions in the game. Unless of course you see exactly where the sun rises and where it sets, which is not the case in OoA.
Ooooo, somone went to wikipedia for 4 hours to do some homework.

Incase you havn't played The Wind Waker, Link can change the direction of the wind. Did you knwo the wind blows towards the top of the map when he commands it North?

WOW, THAT MEANS THE WIND WAKERS MAP IS A NORTH-SOUTH MAP!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!111 !!%%%&^&#$%@&^#&$!!!

I would not test me. You have been proven wrong, deal with it. Attempting to make me seem like a fool after losing will only make you seem more pathetic.

Oh, and by the way, in Australia, there are no 'Geography teachers', we learn a little about Maps in year 8, and thats it. What I know about maps has come from that, plus alot of experience from doing trecks.
From what I have seen, I would say 95% of the worlds maps are North-South maps. Your example was a fairly pathetic one when trying to make me seem 'foolish'.

Edit: Oh, and here, the WW map. Notice the compass?

Check out ZeldaInformer.

Bombers Articles: (Zelda Theorising)
The Master Sword Exposed (out of date due to SS, some images missing)
The Oocca: Engineers of Hyrule
The Great War of Ikana
The Mysteries of Malladus: The Demon King's Story

I'll be updating some articles and providing new content at Zelda Informer over December/January (2011/2012)

Last Edited by Viral; 11-30-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via ICQ to Smertios Send a message via AIM to Smertios Send a message via Yahoo to Smertios Send a message via Skype™ to Smertios

OK, now show me any kind of proof that the Labrynna map is oriented the same way and you'll have a point. before that you're just assuming it is.

And I didn't really want to do this, but I'll have to quote myself so you can actually read what i say before replying.

Quote:
And you see anything like that in OoA, so we can compare BOTH maps directions??
If you do, you have a point, so show me. If you don't, don't say that both maps are oriented the same way. You can't prove it.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Spiral Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skylark
View Posts: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smertios View Post
OK, now show me any kind of proof that the Labrynna map is oriented the same way and you'll have a point. before that you're just assuming it is.

And I didn't really want to do this, but I'll have to quote myself so you can actually read what i say before replying.

If you do, you have a point, so show me. If you don't, don't say that both maps are oriented the same way. You can't prove it.

Quote:
Link... You were headed to the mountains in the north- west? I heard there's a trail west of here. Be careful.
Quote:
The Black Tower of the past is nearly complete. Terrible things will happen if you don't hurry! An essence echoes near the peak northwest of Lynna City. Can you go?
Quote:
I think there's a mountain north of Nayru's House that's related to the essences. Sorry! I just don't remember!
Quote:
I wish I could go to a tropical southern island.
Quote:
I feel an Essence of Time on Crescent Island in the south sea!!! But be careful crossing the sea, OK?
Quote:
The south sea is polluted! That won't do! Go clean it up!
Hey, Look at that. I win.
Even if we were to be enslaved in the galaxy's cycle of rebirth, the feelings that were left behind will open the door! Even if the infinite universe were to go against us, our burning blood will cut through fate! We'll break through heavens and dimensions! We'll show you our path through force! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

Hmm, The official timeline reminds me alot of my original theory. The Rejected Hero of Time.

Last Edited by Skylark; 11-30-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 AM
hylian hero
View Posts: 73

I have a compass on my bike (srry, i just had a great need to mention that)

But have you ever thought about the fact that they gave it almost the same name to get us discussing like this? Wouldn't it be to give us the feeling the games are related?? now they used a new relation, and this time ig geographical

please click my drangons/eggs to make them grow/hatch

Get Yours!
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Send a message via AIM to Viral
View Posts: 1,657

Well Smertios, it appears Skylark has posted just what you wanted to see.
I hope I didn't appear too agresive, but I find it annoying when somone tries to make me look silly after I tell them they are wrong. Because 95% of the time, they are wrong.

To quote Smallville boy.... Game Over.

Thank you Skylark, saved me 5 minutes of my life.

Check out ZeldaInformer.

Bombers Articles: (Zelda Theorising)
The Master Sword Exposed (out of date due to SS, some images missing)
The Oocca: Engineers of Hyrule
The Great War of Ikana
The Mysteries of Malladus: The Demon King's Story

I'll be updating some articles and providing new content at Zelda Informer over December/January (2011/2012)

#33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Spiral Theorist

^
Always glad to help.

Just because there isn't a compass, does not mean directions are not given.
Even if we were to be enslaved in the galaxy's cycle of rebirth, the feelings that were left behind will open the door! Even if the infinite universe were to go against us, our burning blood will cut through fate! We'll break through heavens and dimensions! We'll show you our path through force! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

Hmm, The official timeline reminds me alot of my original theory. The Rejected Hero of Time.

#34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Theorist of two sides

Quote:
This is because the mantle is actually a "sea of magma
Incorrect.

The Mantle has two layers, one is quite cool, the other is compased of Magma. The heat from the magma part of the mantle causes convection currets to move the plates. The plates do not simply float on magma, that's absurd to believe.

Quote:
Nope, if we consider that that part of AoL's Hyrule is the same part of the Great Sea. After all, we are all considering deeflooding by the trees.
Hyrule did not "Deflood" It may have partially deflooded, but that is not the reason for it. The GDT, connected all the islands together using "eath and grove."

As skylark pointed out...

GAME OVER

(sorry but I just had to do that)

Quote:
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Spiral Theorist

^ Pinecove, this also disproves you believing they are the same place. Islands do not "turn around." As that seems to be the problem that some people are having with it. I haven't seen a comparison pic or anything.

Last Edited by Skylark; 11-30-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Theorist of two sides

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Quote:

Quote:
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Mexicuter
3DS ID: 0748-3331-3394
View Posts: 5,718

Pinecove accept it your theory is completly a GAME OVER.
We can't accept your illogical reasons.

You need learn to lose.
Last Edited by Smallville Boy 69; 11-30-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Guardian Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Insizor View Post
Well Smertios, it appears Skylark has posted just what you wanted to see.
I hope I didn't appear too agresive, but I find it annoying when somone tries to make me look silly after I tell them they are wrong. Because 95% of the time, they are wrong.

To quote Smallville boy.... Game Over.

Thank you Skylark, saved me 5 minutes of my life.
As I said, now you have a point. Still not necesserily (sp?) labrynnian north is the same as hyrulean north.

Anyway, this only proves that Crescent island =/= Crescent Moon. Or that developers don't really care about orientations.

As for the plates thing, I've heard of a lot of things that happened to them, but i never heard of any plate rotationg around its own central vertical axis.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Tribunal Lord of Wisdom
View Posts: 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
Hey, Look at that. I win.
Nice jorb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
I haven't seen a comparison pic or anything.
I posted a couple of pics earlier. Here they are:

As you can see, the "crescent" parts of the islands are facing opposite directions. (Not to mention the significant size difference of the islands).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincove
In this case, they reverse Cresent Island.
I've heard of natural phenomena altering certain land masses, but never completely flipping an entire island around. That's a little

They cannot be the same island.

Timeline:
........../TWW/PH-LoZ/AoL-OoX-TMC-FS/FSA-ALttP/LA
...OoT
..........\MM-TP
Last Edited by Ceallach; 11-30-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ
View Posts: 20,843

Pinecove, SPECULATION does not count as evidence. You need IN-GAME evidence to support what you say. If you can say plate tectonics caused Crescent Island to move or whatever, then I can say Crescent Island was warped by a rogue black hole.

Your idea is ridiculous.

Tags
crescent, gentleman, geography, ladies, moon, redux