Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Ceallach Ceallach is a male United States Ceallach is offline
Tribunal Lord of Wisdom
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Strawberry Fields
View Posts: 495
Malon the Gerudo?

Okay, this topic has been popping up everywhere in a ton of threads recently, and its been driving me crazy! So I have decided to create a thread specifically for this topic (to the best of my knowledge, there is no current thread already about this-- sorry if otherwise):

Is Malon half-Gerudo? The idea is primarily based on this quote by Talon when you speak to him while wearing the Gerudo Mask:

"Hey, that reminds me of my wife...
On second thought, it doesn't...
It doesn't look like her at all!"


Also, some support this idea because Malon has red hair, and claim that her clothing features some Gerudo characteristics.

Now, the Gerudo are an all-female race with a male born every one hundred years (Ganondorf in OoT)-- this is common knowledge. The Gerudo come to Hyrule Castle's Market to look for "boyfriends"-- this is also common knowledge.

Is it possible that Talon met a Gerudo, "became her boyfriend (you know what I mean)," and Malon was born nine months later? Or if maybe Talon did marry said Gerudo and raise Malon with him?

I do not believe this is so.

My main problem with this theory is that although Malon has red hair, she does not look like a Gerudo. I personally do not think her clothing looks Gerudo in nature. To me, she looks like a Hylian.

Based on the fact that ALL Gerudo are technically half-Gerudo (including Ganondorf), Malon should have been raised in Gerudo Valley with her Gerudo sisters and should look exactly like them-- she clearly does not. She has very light skin, pointed ears, and her eyes are BLUE! Gerudos do not have pointed ears. There are only five Gerudo character models in OoT: the standard Gerudo soldier, the higher-ranking Gerudo guards, Nabooru, Twinrova, and Ganondorf. Malon looks nothing like these characters (especially not Ganondorf ).

You may suggest that she received her Hylian characteristics from her father, but then why would the other Gerudo not retain their fathers' characteristics?

Hylian + Gerudo = Gerudo

Talon + Gerudo = Gerudo

Talon + Hylian = Malon

Also, it appears that the Gerudo are impregnated in the Castle Market, then return to the desert to raise their children-- without any marriage-type institution whatsoever. Talon states that the mask looks like his wife. Futhermore, OoT clearly states that Malon knew her mother:

"My mother composed this song. Isn't it nice? Let's sing together."
"You... Do you know my mother's song? Everyone really liked that song... My dad... Even Mr. Ingo..."


That doesn't sound like a Gerudo to me.

Also not to mention the fact the Talon's quote could be taken as a statement against Malon's would-be Gerudo heritage.

To recap: Malon does not look like a Gerudo (light skin, pointed ears, blue eyes), and the Gerudo look virtually identical to each other. The Gerudo's parenting program does not fit Talon's/Malon's description. Talon's quote is not strong evidence, as it can be taken either seriously or as a joke.

I think that covers it all (add more evidence for/against if I've forgotten any).

Therefore, I do not believe that Malon is half-Gerudo. Do you? Please discuss.
Last Edited by Ceallach; 10-27-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typo Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Adameus Adameus is a male Canada Adameus is offline
School's over, I'M BAACK!!!!!!
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: You dont really wanna know
View Posts: 178
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

First, about that quote, I dont recall it. I remember Talon saying something like "it awfully looks like Malon's mother". I think it depends of the version you're playing.

Then, I imagine Malon being some kind of albino Gerudo. But seriously, you have good points. But it is still possible for a Gerudo to disagree with her culture and chose to live as a Hylian, just like Nabooru refused to obey her King.

You are right when you say that orange hair is not enough to prove that she is half gerudo, as other characters have been seen with orange hair. But I think we can consider Talon's quote as true. But the fact that the quote have changed might prove that the developpers changed their mind about Malon's mother.

Its been discussed a lot, and I remember a topic about biology of different races, and I think it covered a little bit Malon. Good topic anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimgard View Post
I AM MADE OF USELESS LINKS
My timeline:
OoT - MM - TP
|
tWW/PH - OoX - TMC - LoZ/AoL - FS/FSA - ALttP/LA
DESTROYED!!! Stays as a relic...until LoZ fits perfectly...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Skylark Skylark is a male United States Skylark is offline
Spiral Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skylark
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
View Posts: 2,128
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

However, if his Gerudo wife lived with him on the farm and not in Gerudo valley. Malon would not have left the ranch. I'm sure not all gerudo lived in the desert, just most of them.
Telma in TP also seems to hint that Gerudo + Hylian kids are possible.
__________________
Even if we were to be enslaved in the galaxy's cycle of rebirth, the feelings that were left behind will open the door! Even if the infinite universe were to go against us, our burning blood will cut through fate! We'll break through heavens and dimensions! We'll show you our path through force! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

Hmm, The official timeline reminds me alot of my original theory. The Rejected Hero of Time.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Bottled Fairy Bottled Fairy is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In a bottle
View Posts: 28
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Quote:
Based on the fact that ALL Gerudo are technically half-Gerudo (including Ganondorf), Malon should have been raised in Gerudo Valley with her Gerudo sisters and should look exactly like them
Not if she's secretly a dude.

Major plot twist? I think so.
__________________
Did you get all that?
> No
Yes
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Smallville Boy 69 Mexico Smallville Boy 69 is offline
Mexicuter
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: México
View Posts: 5,639
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Or maybe when talon see link with the gerudo mask he remmeber his wife just because the red hair, some hylians have red hair. who knows
__________________


Few things satisfy like a puzzle solved!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Demo Demo is a male Honduras Demo is offline
Used to be "The Sheikah" user
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: With your girl
View Posts: 2,549
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

It is a possibility. I don't believe Malon's mother was a Gerudo though. I mean, it's the only female mask you get. There is no way of proving this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Sam Nornal Sam Nornal is a male United States Sam Nornal is online now
Kevyn Miller
Send a message via AIM to Sam Nornal Send a message via Skype™ to Sam Nornal
Steam ID: sam.nornal 3DS ID: Sam.Nornal
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyrsin
View Posts: 2,412
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

I disagree. I know I kindof suggested it at first, but then I checked something. I went up and talked to Malon while wearing a Gerudo mask. She doesn't say "Wow, it looks like my mom!" or anything. She basically says: "Hi fairy boy! Did you think you could fool me with that mask? It's obvious who you are!"
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Demo Demo is a male Honduras Demo is offline
Used to be "The Sheikah" user
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: With your girl
View Posts: 2,549
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Janitor View Post
I disagree. I know I kindof suggested it at first, but then I checked something. I went up and talked to Malon while wearing a Gerudo mask. She doesn't say "Wow, it looks like my mom!" or anything. She basically says: "Hi fairy boy! Did you think you could fool me with that mask? It's obvious who you are!"
Maybe she never met her mom?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Sam Nornal Sam Nornal is a male United States Sam Nornal is online now
Kevyn Miller
Send a message via AIM to Sam Nornal Send a message via Skype™ to Sam Nornal
Steam ID: sam.nornal 3DS ID: Sam.Nornal
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyrsin
View Posts: 2,412
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Well, she knows Epona's song, which she said her mom wrote and sang all the time, so I doubt she never met her mom.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Smallville Boy 69 Mexico Smallville Boy 69 is offline
Mexicuter
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: México
View Posts: 5,639
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheikah View Post
Maybe she never met her mom?
she surely meet her mom, her mom compose epona' song.
__________________


Few things satisfy like a puzzle solved!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 AM
Tribunal Power Tribunal Power is a male United States Tribunal Power is offline
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to Tribunal Power Send a message via Yahoo to Tribunal Power
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Error's House
View Posts: 312
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adameus View Post
First, about that quote, I dont recall it. I remember Talon saying something like "it awfully looks like Malon's mother". I think it depends of the version you're playing.

Then, I imagine Malon being some kind of albino Gerudo. But seriously, you have good points. But it is still possible for a Gerudo to disagree with her culture and chose to live as a Hylian, just like Nabooru refused to obey her King.

You are right when you say that orange hair is not enough to prove that she is half gerudo, as other characters have been seen with orange hair. But I think we can consider Talon's quote as true. But the fact that the quote have changed might prove that the developpers changed their mind about Malon's mother.

Its been discussed a lot, and I remember a topic about biology of different races, and I think it covered a little bit Malon. Good topic anyway.
"Hey, that reminds me of my wife...
On second thought, it doesn't...
It doesn't look like her at all!"

This is a solid quote, and I've referenced it with three different text dumps. Also, having played all three versions of the N64 game as well as the Gamecube version, I can say with complete assurance that the quote was never changed.

I agree completely with Caellach's findings. The evidence to support said theory was already shabby, and those are all standing facts agaisnt it.

Malon being half Gerudo is just one of those silly theories that won't stay in its grave. D:

Here's a curious question, though: If all Gerudo (as of the timetable for OoT) are 1/2 Hylian, shouldn't their offspring be 1/4 Gerudo? And theirs, 1/8 Gerudo? Could this be the explanation for the lack of Gerudo in titles that take place after OoT?

An interesting thought.
__________________
Ceallach: "And then the Grinch did the same to the other Rolls Royces."
Tribunal Power: "Leaving crumbs much too small for the other Pols Voices?"

Top 10 Greatest Games Ever Made (and the Runner Up!)
Sathis Hlaalu, Mathias Blackharrow,
Acthaiyne Sleavuunsu, Charles Demont
MV Maru Harvuson and the NNR Harkonav
RP Cartography
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 AM
mewmew123 England mewmew123 is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kent
View Posts: 20
hi

im pretty sure she is a gerudo but she was dumped at birth for having all her dads looks
__________________
IM BACK AND THIS TIME IM STAYING MOST OF U DONT KNOW ME BUT ILL TRY TO POST MORE OFTEN
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
EternaLegend Sweden EternaLegend is offline
Busy bee
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 17,557
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmew123 View Post
im pretty sure she is a gerudo but she was dumped at birth for having all her dads looks
O_o

I don't think Malon has a drop of Gerudo in her. If she was, she should have at least some Gerudo traits like being all suspicious towards men and flirting off at random guys, including Ingo if she was one.

To me, she is just an innocent pure Hylian with the gender of a girl.

The end.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Gexmeister Gexmeister is a male Sweden Gexmeister is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
View Posts: 7
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

I agree with eternal legend.

Of course, theres the "Hey, that reminds me of my wife...
On second thought, it doesn't...
It doesn't look like her at all!" quote, but as someone else said, that could just mean his wife had red hair or some other feature that the Gerudo's have.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Erimgard Erimgard is a male Mexico Erimgard is offline
Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve.
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zelda Theorizing
View Posts: 6,435
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Talon says Malon's mom was a Gerudo, then quickly/nervously takes it back. [Gerudos are hated in Hyrule]
Malon has red hair.
Malon's clothes look somewhat Gerudo-like.
Malon's obsessed with horses. [The Gerudos respect anyone who can beat the horse archery thing]
Malon's mom wrote a song that can tame even the wildest of horses.
Malon's Termina Counterpart has a bow/arrows. [Supplemental evidence/director intent]

Yeah. I'd say she's half-Gerudo.
__________________
Nintendo's Missed Opportunity: Four Swords DS


Voted Best Zelda Theorist Summer 2008, Winter 2008, and Summer 2009
Voted Most Knowledgeable of Zelda Winter 2008.
Voted Most Dedicated Theorist Summer 2009


ZeldaInformer | Forums | Bombers Notebook | The Bombers | Resources
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Pinecove Pinecove is a male Canada Pinecove is offline
Theorist of two sides
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto Ontario
View Posts: 8,038
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

I'll have to disagree.

Malon is white as suppowsed to a sort of .(.. I dunno brown?) because since the Gerudo's are out in the desert so long they'de get tans...

However if Malon was raised on the farm... then she could retain white skin.
__________________

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM
master iem master iem is a male Netherlands master iem is offline
Aerodynamic
Join Date: May 2008
Location: netherlands
View Posts: 691
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

She has a white skin becouse she lives on a farm where it's not very hot.
__________________
credit for the banner goes to Alakdillon.


---------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
SevenYears SevenYears is offline
HAPPY TUF PIC DAY!!!!!!! IN SOME REALITIESSSSS!!@@@@@!@!!! !!@!!!!!!@@@@@@@
Join Date: Mar 2007
View Posts: 1,526
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

Quote:
Hey, that reminds me of my wife...
On second thought, it doesn't...
It doesn't look like her at all!
There can be another meaning to that quote. For example,

Quote:
Hey, that reminds me of my wife...
The mask can have a feature or two that reminds him of his wife: The red hair and eyes, the red hair and the color of her face, etc. His wife could have had a tan dark enough that resembles a Gerudo's natural skin color.

Quote:
On second thought, it doesn't...
It doesn't look like her at all!
Talon later realizes that that mask is actually a Gerudo. He doesn't want to compare his wife to a dangerous thief.
__________________
Time Travel | The Unsolved Mysteries of Ocarina of Time | Fun Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterlime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?

the truth
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
LegendofLex LegendofLex is a male LegendofLex is offline
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
Join Date: Apr 2004
View Posts: 20,982
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

All Gerudo need not be half-Gerudo...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Ogrum Ogrum is a male United States Ogrum is offline
Goron
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern Pines, NC
View Posts: 213
Re: Malon the Gerudo?

True. The Gerudo must have some pretty dominant genes to all look like clones, when each new generation is less Gerudo than the last.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligo View Post
'And the three goddesses descended from the heavens, presenting the land of Hyrule a delectable breakfast item, with a fruity taste and many colors.'
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gerudo, malon


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -