Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Sage_of_Stars Sage_of_Stars is a male United States Sage_of_Stars is offline
Velan Warrior
View Posts: 1,005
Is the Master Sword just a key, or does it have power over time?

In another thread, there was this argument started about whether the Master Sword held power over time, or if it was just a key. Since that thread wasn't in the theorizing section, I decided to create a thread about this argument in the theorizing section.

I myself believe that while the Master Sword can be a key to the Sacred Realm, it also holds some power over time. I base my belief on this quote from Shiek: "... As long as you hold the Ocarina of Time and the Master Sword, you hold time itself in your hands... Link, we shall meet again!" In OoT, Link uses the Master Sword, not the Ocarina of Time, to travel 7 years through time.

There is also some other evidence that the Master Sword has some power over time in other games. In WW, when Link pulls the sword out of its pedestal, Hyrule Castle and the monsters in it, are no longer frozen in time. At the end of WW, when Link stabs Ganondorf with the Sword, he turns to stone. He could really be frozen in time, however.

One more thing. No matter how many centuries old the Master Sword is, it always stays in the same condition. It never rusts or anything. It could itself be, frozen in time when in the pedestal of time so that it will always be in perfect condition for Link to use.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2008, 12:09 PM
TwilitProphet TwilitProphet is a female United States TwilitProphet is offline
Goddess of Twilight
View Posts: 281
Re: Is the Master Sword just a key, or does it have power over time?

Hmm. That does make sense. It would explain why Link usually puts the Master Sword back into its pedestal at the end of the games instead of keeping it. He's doing it in order to keep it in good condition in case another hero needs it later on.

#3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Velan Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilitProphet View Post
Hmm. That does make sense. It would explain why Link usually puts the Master Sword back into its pedestal at the end of the games instead of keeping it. He's doing it in order to keep it in good condition in case another hero needs it later on.
The only thing that I found to contradict that, was that in WW, when Hyrule Castle was frozen in time, it was black and white. In most Zelda games, you usually find the Master Sword with the blue hilt. Still, the Master Sword could be the only exception. Hmm, I can't remember if it starts out black and white in WW before Link pulls it.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
TwilitProphet TwilitProphet is a female United States TwilitProphet is offline
Goddess of Twilight
View Posts: 281

Well, I haven't played WW in a while so my memory on it is a bit fuzzy, but I believe that the reason that the Master Sword was in a different condition in that game was because the sages who were praying to allow it to hold its power were killed. Without those sages, the sword's power was basically diminished.

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 59
Another thing to support the thoery of the Master Sword stopping time.

Another thing to support the theory of the Master Sword stopping time is the fact that at the end of Ocarina of Time he had to place the sword back into the Pedestal of Time to return to his own time. So if he had to place it into the Pedestal of Time to return to his own Time it would make sense that it can control Time. Of course there is the part in Ocarina of Time where is says that the Master Sword is a key which you can use to Travel Back and forth through Time's flow. Which would mean that it is only the Key and that you need to put it into the Pedestal of Time before it can take Link Back in Time. And that the Pedestal of Time takes him back 7 years after the Sword is placed in the Pedestal of Time. And notice the name the "Pedestal of Time". That could be referring to the Pedestal of Time having the power to send Link back in Time 7 years using the key the Master Sword.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Velan Warrior

I think that the master sword has power over time, but not on its own. It requires several things to be effective, such as the pedestal of time. It is possible that sometime after WW, the master sword was removed from Ganondorf's head and he came back to life. If this is so, then Ganondorf would have been frozen in time. Perhaps since only 2 sages were around, the master sword could only freeze ganondorf in time instead of killing him.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Hyrule defend itself? HAHAHAHA!
View Posts: 4,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_of_Stars
It is possible that sometime after WW, the master sword was removed from Ganondorf's head and he came back to life.
Aonuma confirmed that Ganondorf had died in TWW in an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcvalons
Vaati is the oldest villain in the Zelda chronology, and the oldest are always the most powerful.
Man, I've disproved this point every time I've dropped by the old folk's home.

I... I'm not allowed there any more.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Saiyajin
View Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Gamer View Post
Aonuma confirmed that Ganondorf had died in TWW in an interview.
Pics or article, or no belief. I didn't hear that, I'd like to though. I searched google with my unawesome skills and couldn't find anything.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 AM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

The sword is just a key. Also it has the power repel or seal evil. The frozen black & white Hyrule Castle was the effect of its sealing evil. The time-traveling in Zelda games is always brought on in one of the following ways:

*The Temple of Time
*The Ocarina of Time
*The Oracle of Ages
*The Harp of Ages
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-16-2008, 04:45 AM
erudesu
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL
View Posts: 17,620

Ganondorf and the sages do mention that it is a key that protects a lot of Hyrule's greatest treasure from evil thirsty predators.

Sheik mentions the same thing as well.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Send a message via AIM to Viral
View Posts: 1,657

It seems to be more a of a key that grants the power to use/command time.

More important than it's time properties is it's abilty to repel evil, in my opinion.

The only game where it is truely connected to time is OoT.

Check out ZeldaInformer.

Bombers Articles: (Zelda Theorising)
The Master Sword Exposed (out of date due to SS, some images missing)
The Oocca: Engineers of Hyrule
The Great War of Ikana
The Mysteries of Malladus: The Demon King's Story

I'll be updating some articles and providing new content at Zelda Informer over December/January (2011/2012)

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-16-2008, 05:06 AM
erudesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Insizor
The only game where it is truely connected to time is OoT.
For truth.

But in some of the games where time is not the main element to represent the game itself, it does mention that the Master Sword rests throughout time, waiting for it's rightful owner to draw it from the pedestal. And time does not ravage the blade, no matter if rain falls on it or if the heat of the sun penetrates it into high temperatures.

It will still be eternally sharp as though it was made a few hours ago.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Velan Warrior

Perhaps the MS is the key that can lock or unlock time for different things. The pedestal of time would of course be one key hole. When Link pulled the MS in WW, Hyrule Castle's time was unlocked.

The MS never is quite the same. In alttp, it could shoot beams and it could also have been forged into better swords. In OoT, it's used by Link to travel back and forth 7 years. In WW, the sword has shown the ability to freeze and unfreeze time for certain objects. In TP, the Sword is used to get into the temple of time, that had been ruined. However, when Link enters the temple of time, it looks brand new. I've heard a theory that stated that Link was really going back in time when entering the temple of time in order to explore it. The MS was the key to the temple, and possibly an earlier era in which it was in better condition. And finally in TP, the MS is powered up in the twilight realm to become the light sword. It doesn't do this in any other game, but I don't see how it could. The uses for the Master Sword have been very diverse throughout series.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 AM
erudesu

The Master Sword is created to suit the elements of the game and what threat is thrown towards it's master.

Therefore, in some games it can shoot beams out and release flames as Link spins it around in furiously, circular motions.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Velan Warrior

I'll acknowledge that the Master Sword does have some key-like properties, but one must also acknowledge that the Master Swords relationship with time is unusual.

Tags
key, master sword, power, time