Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Leaf Kokiri
View Posts: 330
Kokiri Sword

I've come to the realization (recently) that the Kokiri Sword is the sword that we use to make the Gilded Sword. My question is, why would Nintendo change the look of the Kokiri Sword? It looked really cool in OoT and when I saw it in MM, I didn't check, I thought, "That's just some sword Zelda made for Link and he left the Kokiri Sword in the Kokiri Forest." After all, we WERE merely borrowing the Kokiri Sword, it'd make sense to do that.

Also, wouldn't there be eventual consequences when Link brought the Kokiri Sword back to Hyrule to return it and it had been changed not only by Hyrulean smiths but also Terminan? It just doesn't make sense that Link would still have the Kokiri Sword, not to mention reforge it into something like the Gilded Sword, no sense whatsoever.

First theory, and it's about something I recently discovered (when I restarted MM for the umpteenth time and actually looked at the name of the sword). Butcher it if you feel you can, I'll only get better for whatever I make my next theory on.

If you don't do either, I'll get sad. Don't make a Kokiri sad. Kokiri don't need to be sad. If a Kokiri gets sad, the world stops spinning and the side with Canada, America, etc. freezes over and then the Canadians will become supreme rulers of the Americas and then you will bow down to us!!! Ha ha ha ha!! Well, not really, but I might try to make such happen.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Leaf Kokiri
Re: Kokiri Sword

And read my book when you have a chance... please?

If you don't do either, I'll get sad. Don't make a Kokiri sad. Kokiri don't need to be sad. If a Kokiri gets sad, the world stops spinning and the side with Canada, America, etc. freezes over and then the Canadians will become supreme rulers of the Americas and then you will bow down to us!!! Ha ha ha ha!! Well, not really, but I might try to make such happen.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Twili
View Posts: 462

Well since when is Link gonna return the sword. They said they were borrowing it because they didn't realise they were gonna have to use it after the deku tree.

No Compromise. Live it, don't just say it!
1 Corinthians 9:19
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Leaf Kokiri

Yeah, but the text still stated you were borrrowing it. If you borrow something, you'd better return it. Link'll return to the forest someday and I think Mido at least will give him a good yelling-at for doing that to the Kokiri Sword.

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Twili

Nah, I think they'd love a double powered sword. hehe

or maybe not.

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Leaf Kokiri

Maybe it's treated as a special sword used only in crises and they've known how it looked all this time? Maybe they liked the Kokiri Sword as it was and don't think it should have changed. It's the Kokiri Sword, thus ONLY a Kokiri should use or even touch it if you ask me. Maybe in ancient times, the Kokiri were a much larger race and had more power (Forest Temple, Kokiri Sword, Fairy Slingshot).

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Leaf Kokiri

Again, I'm making note of the fact that I think Link is at least part Kokiri (it doesn't even have to be half, maybe even an eighth which would make a bit more sense than half, actually.) It's probably more sacred to Kokiri than Goron Bracelet or Silver Scale since those people are willing to part their named items with people oustide their race. It's the Kokiri Sword, a sword for the Kokiri. That's what I think. Kokiri were also stronger in the past, or had ancestors who were stronger.

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
View Posts: 4,337

Just wondering, why do the kokiri have a sword? They are a race of pacifist children, why do they have a weapon locked away?
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Oath to Order
View Posts: 1,556

The sword in MM isn't the Kokori Sword, I'm guessing Link returned it when he finished OOT then was given the Hero Sword & Hero Shield from Zelda (as well as the Ocarina of Time) when he set off for Termina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiekahSage View Post
Just wondering, why do the kokiri have a sword? They are a race of pacifist children, why do they have a weapon locked away?
They may seem like children but they are immortal and the Kokori Sword would be a weapon to use in dire crisis, chances are the forest got taken over by the monsters in the adult timeline because the Kokori Sword was taken by Link and never returned.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,402

You don't HAVE to have it changed, you know. It's just a way of getting sword upgrades, which is possible in just about every Zelda.

You upgrade the Master sword in ALttP, so the Kokiri sword can also get an upgrade.

I don't know where you get that Link is part Kokiri, though.

As for the sword being in the forest, I always would have preffered it to have been a wooden sword. Then we wouldn't have to wonder where they got the metal, and how they crafted it into a sword.

I don't know if this should be in the theory section, or moved to the N64 section.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Oath to Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphnes View Post
As for the sword being in the forest, I always would have preffered it to have been a wooden sword. Then we wouldn't have to wonder where they got the metal, and how they crafted it into a sword.
They probably just found it in the lost woods, after all those (adults) who get lost become staffos, so I could see random items being left in the woods like when the girl gave you (after she found it) the charpenter's saw in adult timeline.

Note: I have no spellcheck on this browser so chances are my spelling is wrong.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fire View Post
They probably just found it in the lost woods, after all those (adults) who get lost become stalfos, so I could see random items being left in the woods like when the girl gave you (after she found it) the carpenter's saw in adult timeline.

Note: I have no spellcheck on this browser so chances are my spelling is wrong.
That sounds like as good an explanation as I've ever heard. That secret area where you get the sword might be where they stash things they find, and the sword may have been the most recent thing they found.

However, doesn't the script suggest the sword is special? It seems the sword is more special than that. I'll go look for a text dump.

Quote:
This is a hidden treasure of
the Kokiri, but you can borrow it
for a while. Be sure to practice
with it before you really fight!
Nope, it just says the sword is a hidden treasure. Meaning it might just be the most recent thing they found, and put in the secret stash.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........MM-TP
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Oath to Order

Quote:
That sounds like as good an explanation as I've ever heard. That secret area where you get the sword might be where they stash things they find, and the sword may have been the most recent thing they found.

However, doesn't the script suggest the sword is special? It seems the sword is more special than that. I'll go look for a text dump.
If memory serves it just said its the treasure of the kokori, the kokori aren't all innocent. :XD Its possible they collect things they find, would explain the slingshoot, fairy bow etc.

I'm curious to know why the hell theres a boulder in that secret region, its main protection is the fact only a child can get through the gap and it'd be hard to get past the Kokori unnoticed since they have the ability to become invisibly/blend with the forest.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fire View Post
If memory serves it just said its the treasure of the kokori, the kokori aren't all innocent. :XD Its possible they collect things they find, would explain the slingshoot, fairy bow etc.

I'm curious to know why the hell theres a boulder in that secret region, its main protection is the fact only a child can get through the gap and it'd be hard to get past the Kokori unnoticed since they have the ability to become invisibly/blend with the forest.
I don't know why the boulder is there either. Maybe to ward off thieving kokiris. They are kids, afterall, and we know kids aren't innocent. They get into everything.

As for blending into the forest, I guess you mean how you always notice the fairy before the Kokiri shows up. I think I saw a theory or something once that said all Kokiri might just be spirits. But that's another topic altogether.

.........MM-TP
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Oath to Order

Quote:
I don't know why the boulder is there either. Maybe to ward off thieving kokiris. They are kids, afterall, and we know kids aren't innocent. They get into everything.
I'm really unsure over it, if the kokori put the treasure there, pretty sure they'd know how to get past their own security measures. Probably to any invaders who could get a kid to retrieve the treasure *shrug*

Quote:
As for blending into the forest, I guess you mean how you always notice the fairy before the Kokiri shows up. I think I saw a theory or something once that said all Kokiri might just be spirits. But that's another topic altogether.
Yeah it is, I alway's assumed the Kokori were simple spiritual beings who were connected to the forest, so they'd be able to become 'one' with the forest to hide.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Leaf Kokiri

The Kokiri are referred to as "forest spirits" as memory states, but I'm not entirely sure. My memory is about as reliable as a calculator without batteries.

Boulder's there most likely as a last defense for recent discoveries of the Kokiri. Also, for all we know, the Kokiri could have found the sword a long time ago and kept it as their greatest treasure. Thus, the somewhat extreme defensive measures surrounding it. Also, it's a "hidden treasure of the Kokiri", so maybe not all Kokiri know about it? Well, that's unlikely since Mido recognized it pretty quickly.

Also, yes, that sword we see at the start of MM is the Kokiri Sword, I recently (a half hour ago) checked. I hate the fact, but it's a fact.

And lastly... they're called K-O-K-I-R-I, not K-O-K-O-R-I. Get it right at least, please...

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Queen of Airheads

View Posts: 1,484

The different look of the Kokiri Swords in OoT and MM has confused me for ages. Then someone here told me, that it was supposed to be a different sword, by the name of Hero's Sword. They also said that in some versions of MM it's called that, and in others it isn't. Mine obviously says Kokiri. Possibly it's a mistake that was fixed at some point? I haven't played my Collector's Edition MM for ages, so I'm not sure which one that says it is. Anyway, if this is right, then it actually is not the same sword, which would make sense, as the two blades look nothing alike.

It's probable the Kokiri found the sword in the forest, but there's one funny thing: It's tiny. If it was dropped by some random adult, why would they have a little knife like that? ..well, thinking about it, I wouldn't go to some creepy woods without at least a knife either, so ok.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Goron
View Posts: 269

As for the question of it being modified and Link returning it; they all think that Link died after he left the Forest. He's scot-free. Why would he return it, especially after he's had it modified so that its a good, strong blade?

As to how it came to be, I suspect the Great Deku Tree had something to do with it.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Leaf Kokiri

I've always thought the Kokiri made the Kokiri Sword, but I doubt that now. Instead, I'd have to agree they most likely found it somewhere in the Lost Woods, in fact, it might have been Saria and Link who found it. This'd make sense since they're pretty much the only Kokiri who go into the Lost Woods often.

I've often heard it called both the Hero's Sword and Kokiri Sword. I wonder which is the right terminology. At first, I called it the Hero's Sword (don't ask me why since I now KNOW my game calls it the Kokiri Sword) and figured it was a sword made by a smith in Hyrule for Link at Princess Zelda's request.

ZU calls it the Kokiri Sword, and I doubt that ZU's wrong. However, it seems that Zelda Universe thinks differently. They say the Kokiri Sword appears only in OoT.

Kokiri Sword
The mystical Kokiri Sword was a treasure of the forest, but Link knew that if he was to become a hero he would need its might by his side. The Kokiri Sword became Link's very first blade.
Ocarina of Time

#20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Twili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meralia View Post
It's probable the Kokiri found the sword in the forest, but there's one funny thing: It's tiny. If it was dropped by some random adult, why would they have a little knife like that? ..well, thinking about it, I wouldn't go to some creepy woods without at least a knife either, so ok.
Well it probably was a knife and that the Kokiri's being small thought it was a sword.

Closed Thread

Tags
kokiri, sword