Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Lol, King of Darkness
View Posts: 3,400
A cleaner translation of the Aonuma interview (thanks to TSA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA translation
–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there’s a scene showing Ganon’s execution. Link and Zelda left him be and he then did something outrageous, so it was decided that he should be executed. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...
I find it interesting that Aonuma refers to the "world of Ocarina of Time", where TP takes place in. Could this mean that the games are separated in the timeline? Is there a "world of A Link to the Past" as well?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,306
Re: A cleaner translation of the Aonuma interview (thanks to TSA).

Quote:
That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time.
I had a feeling that the execution happened closer to OoT rather than soon before TP.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Troll Slayer
Send a message via ICQ to Oni Lunk
View Posts: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raian View Post
I find it interesting that Aonuma refers to the "world of Ocarina of Time", where TP takes place in. Could this mean that the games are separated in the timeline? Is there a "world of A Link to the Past" as well?

But then,which world does TWW fit into???
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 2,574

I think what he means by 'the world of Ocarina of Time' is:

The Childhood ending is the true timeline to the series. TWW was the story that we see that happens in the adult ending. But noone can get back to the world that TWW takes place in. The world of OoT was the way it was meant to be and TP is what takes place.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 267

Or he could just be refering to the games them selves. Instead of saying "In the Ocarina of Time game..."
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Troll Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganon the King View Post
I think what he means by 'the world of Ocarina of Time' is:

The Childhood ending is the true timeline to the series. TWW was the story that we see that happens in the adult ending. But noone can get back to the world that TWW takes place in. The world of OoT was the way it was meant to be and TP is what takes place.
Hmmm...This is a nice way for those who like to put their bulk of games after TP to explain their choice..
In other words Master Sword into Ganondorf's Head= "And the Master Sword Rests Forever"
and PH is the AOL of TWW...

Other than that, I find something about the TSA translation very odd...
This has to do with the "World of Ocarina of Time" thing..
Comparing the quote found on the zeldawiki with the TSA quote, the 1st line in which Aonuma first speaks,both translations contain the word "world" and "ocarina of time" but this isn't where my problem lies.it lies further down.

ZeldaWiki quote:
"Twilight Princess happens in a world over a hundred years after the peace in the child ending."

TSA translation quote:
"Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time."

Everything is consistent with respect to the general idea and the majority of the words used...but "Ocarina of Time" is a "special" selection of words. I would think that one would expect to see constant in all translations...the ZeldaWiki quote doesn't feature those words in that sentence..

I may be making something out of nothing...but i still find it strange..
I honestly don't too much trust TSA these days...
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Hylian Knight

Do you know how TSA is just a guy yeah? Well who is he? Just some Zelda freak who plays Zelda 10 hours a day or something?
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Master Black Mage
Send a message via AIM to Master of ALttP
View Posts: 3,922

Quote:
Do you know how TSA is just a guy yeah? Well who is he? Just some Zelda freak who plays Zelda 10 hours a day or something?
No, he plays even less than ten hours a day. He's probably the greatest Zelda speed runner ever. He's the whole reason I've got my name here, because I wanted to beat his ALttP world record. He doesn't do speed runs anymore, though, but if you watch him play these days then you'll see that he can't shake his old habits.

Hm... The only meaning I can think that the words world of 'Ocarina of Time' is 'the world created through the events of Ocarina of Time.' See, the Japanese like to use as few words as possible. Speaking few words as Japanese do, I play FFIV now.
Leminnes made my sig. Mess with Lem and I'll cast Bolt-3 on you.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Resting Bιtchface Syndrome Sufferer
Send a message via AIM to Slur Send a message via Skype™ to Slur

View Posts: 5,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of ALttP View Post
Hm... The only meaning I can think that the words world of 'Ocarina of Time' is 'the world created through the events of Ocarina of Time.' See, the Japanese like to use as few words as possible. Speaking few words as Japanese do, I play FFIV now.
Were did you hear that? It seems quite the opposite O_o I've read many run-on sentences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link_86_1
Or he could just be refering to the games them selves. Instead of saying "In the Ocarina of Time game..."
That's what I think...
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Lol, King of Darkness

Quote:
I honestly fail to understand why people hate TSA with such a passion. From what I've seen from thehylia, he's done more for the Zelda community than anyone else. Hell, we would still be arguing whether this interview was genuine had he not confirmed it with NOA. All Japanese translations are going to be different. I don't see why TSA is getting the stick for his translation, when the other translator could be more inaccurate.

And about the "world of Ocarina of Time" point, Aonuma referred to TP and TWW taking place in the world of Ocarina of Time. Since ALTTP cannot connect to OoT, my query was whether the 2D games could be disconnected.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Troll Slayer

[EDIT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raian
From what I've seen from thehylia, he's done more for the Zelda community than anyone else. Hell, we would still be arguing whether this interview was genuine had he not confirmed it with NOA.
Point taken m8.
----------------------
You could be right Raian.I don't deny that the other translation could be less accurate but the whole thing about the words "Ocarina Of Time" Missing from that sentence bothers me for some reason...

As for TSA...I don't hate him...I just don't trust him...
Last Edited by Oni Lunk; 03-11-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 267

Who cares why you hate him. The world thing... If you think about it in a more modern day era... Todays world is so screwed up... you'd be better off living under a rock! Almost 20 years ago (1990), that world would have been a more joyable world to fight for. Get whats going on here? I'm still referencing the same world... but the time periods are completely different. If someone were to travel here from 1990 they'd be blow away! Almost literately. Music, t.v., computers, technology, etc. It's all changed. This isn't the same world back then.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Master Black Mage
Send a message via AIM to Master of ALttP
View Posts: 3,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slur.exe View Post
Were did you hear that? It seems quite the opposite O_o I've read many run-on sentences...
I have a friend who's learning Japanese. He's told me that there's so many problems in localization partially due to the Japanese using as few words as possible. For example. "All your base are belong to us." Or, there's always "They set us up the bomb!"
Leminnes made my sig. Mess with Lem and I'll cast Bolt-3 on you.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Hylian Knight

Quote:
I honestly fail to understand why people hate TSA with such a passion. From what I've seen from thehylia, he's done more for the Zelda community than anyone else. Hell, we would still be arguing whether this interview was genuine had he not confirmed it with NOA. All Japanese translations are going to be different. I don't see why TSA is getting the stick for his translation, when the other translator could be more inaccurate.

And about the "world of Ocarina of Time" point, Aonuma referred to TP and TWW taking place in the world of Ocarina of Time. Since ALTTP cannot connect to OoT, my query was whether the 2D games could be disconnected.

I know a bit about TSA and I knew that he stopped speed-running. And I don't hate him either.

So he's just some ordinary guy who likes Zelda, who's incharage of thehylia.com and he used to be a speedrunner? Why does he call himself TSA?
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Lol, King of Darkness

Quote:
So he's just some ordinary guy who likes Zelda, who's incharage of thehylia.com and he used to be a speedrunner? Why does he call himself TSA?
TSA's a full-fledged member of the media, which means he has access to gaming conferences and developers for interviewing.

TSA stands for "The Silent Assassin", which refers to Link.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
The Mikenyan
Send a message via Skype™ to MDK
View Posts: 1,511

Quote:
TSA's a full-fledged member of the media, which means he has access to gaming conferences and developers for interviewing.
I always wonder about hypes over a single person in a web community. This guy, however, seems to live up to it. I'm very grateful to him for confirming the Aonuma interview - I got sick of the Linear-Split debate a long time ago. As for speed runs, kudos to him, but I just don't have it in me to do them - I'm far too much of a perfectionist to leave anything out.

Quote:
TSA stands for "The Silent Assassin", which refers to Link.
Possibly the most sinister undertones I've ever heard applied to our Hero, but that is essentially what he is... I like it.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Used Banner
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Meat Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Meat
View Posts: 1,151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsbane View Post
Four Swords Adventures?
Uh, care to elaborate on that?
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Lol, King of Darkness

Quote:
Well, what if FSA depicts what gets Ganondorf captured in the Child Timeline? So that the Child Timeline goes like: OoT - FS - FSA - TP. After all, Link already knows Zelda at the start of FS, so having met in a previous game is likely.
Well, TP Ganondorf is human and FSA Ganondorf is a monstrous pig. Seriously, it is very unlikely that Nintendo have been mixing up their games in the various arcs. They are made by different teams, after all.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
The Mikenyan
Send a message via Skype™ to MDK
View Posts: 1,511

Quote:
Well, TP Ganondorf is human and FSA Ganondorf is a monstrous pig. Seriously, it is very unlikely that Nintendo have been mixing up their games in the various arcs. They are made by different teams, after all.
To be fair, Ganondorf was most certainly human in FSA before he got the Trident, though we never see him as such. Conversely though, I doubt that he'd suddenly change his goal from the Triforce to the Trident.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Theorist of two sides
View Posts: 8,038

Quote:
Well, what if FSA depicts what gets Ganondorf captured in the Child Timeline? So that the Child Timeline goes like: OoT - FS - FSA - TP. After all, Link already knows Zelda at the start of FS, so having met in a previous game is likely.
Ganondorf is known as "ancient demon reborn" in FSA proving that it couldn't happen before TP. besides if you're basing this off the execution it's before TP not after OoT.

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.

Tags
aonuma, cleaner, interview, translation, tsa