Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Mixed feelings of elation
Send a message via AIM to Sentient
View Posts: 2,734
The UWM Are Not Finished

Since the Aonuma interview was revealed, and the UWM have gone splittist, I have noticed a rather radical change in how people see and treat us. People have been acting as if we have fallen and that all of our previous theories have crumbled and that we are starting from scratch. This is false. Most of the UWM believe in this timeline now:

Child Timeline:
OoT/MM-TP

Adult Timeline:
OoT-TWW/PH-TMC-FS/FSA-ALttP/LA-OoS/OoA-LoZ/AoL

This is exactly the same as our linear timeline, just split, and so most of our previous theories still stand, and we still use all the same evidence and methods of theorising to support our timeline.

What I have noticed the most is the behaviour of the ASE. They have been treating the UWM as if we need help and are at a real low point. We do not need to be treated like we need lots of support to get us back on our feet, because we have never been off our feet, we have merely had to adjust where we place our feet to conform with the now proven split timeline. We appreciate you trying to support us, but not how you are treating us as always needing help and acting as if we are newer to theorising than you.

The ASE also seem to be under the illusion that we believe in the same timeline. From what I know, the split timeline that most of the UWM believe in is different from the ASE timeline, so we do not believe in the same timeline.

This is not an attack or insult by any means, it's just a message that I don't appreciate the UWM being treated differently just because we have had to slightly alter our timeline. We are still the same theorists we always were, and we should not be treated any differently.

I do look forward to working with the ASE in the future, but I must ask that they stop treating us this way, because it makes me feel rather small.

A toast, to the future of the timeline *raises glass*

|Sentient|
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 194
Re: The UWM Are Not Finished

I think its stupid that you would be treated different just because you change to a splittist.

People shouldn't do things like that just cause you change a little.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Big Bro Davidia Big Bro Davidia is a male Nauru Big Bro Davidia is offline
Proudly logging ZERO mod actions since...too lazy to find out :0D

View Posts: 7,590

This has already been stated in other threads and anyone who is concerned with the UWM (or, indeed, timeline theorizing) is well-aware that it is a simple change from the old UWM timeline to a more split-minded timeline.

We don't need lots of extra threads discussing how valid everyone's hard work is--isn't that evident enough? A slight change needs to be made, sure, but the majority of the points still stand (or at least the thoughts behind the points were/are worthwhile).

I will, however, keep this thread open on the merits that it should be a discussing-ground for comparing the differences between the UWM and the ASE (and perhaps a place where relations can be considered/formed).

I am teh BBDeh!
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bro Davidia
We don't need lots of extra threads discussing how valid everyone's hard work is--isn't that evident enough? A slight change needs to be made, sure, but the majority of the points still stand (or at least the thoughts behind the points were/are worthwhile).
I didn't mean this to be about recognizing our work, I meant it as a message to people that are treating the UWM differently to not do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsbane
I'd say the quicker LOZ Historian (as acting leader) publicly announces the UWM's new position, the quicker the UWM can get back to solidifying their timeline. But don't act as if nothing has changed: a Split Timeline is VERY different to a Single Timeline, and you guys'll need to seriously overhaul the timeline posted in your official thread. After all, a lot more explaining will need to go into the ending of OoT, and any corrections you might might throw up unforeseen inconsistencies. Don't decide on your new timeline TOO quickly: this will require thought.
I know going from linear to split is quite a large change, but in terms of where and why we place the games, not much has changed at all. The timeline that I stated above is one of the split timelines the UWM had in reserve incase there was a time when we had to accept the split timeline. Such a time has come, and most of us believe in that particular split timeline.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsbane View Post
After all, a lot more explaining will need to go into the ending of OoT.
I'll tell you right now, I don't have any new explanations for it. I'm still trying to get through this crushing blow to my beliefs. Never had an explanation to that ending, and don't want to be asked when I lay out my personal timeline (which is different from what my fellow Wise Men put up in their sigs).

I still firmly believe that a split in the timeline is a useless, unesseccary complication. I want to hear what Historian has to say, but I also want to treat this like I did before supporting the UWM.

I'm going to make a timeline, debate it with others, and follow whoever has the most similar/same timeline as my end result.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Figment of Our Imagination
View Posts: 1,133

I don't think anyone bar CM and Quick Silver has said that the UWM are finished. It just that they have taken a fairly substantial blow to both their reputation on these forums and their pride.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxn
I don't think anyone bar CM and Quick Silver has said that the UWM are finished. It just that they have taken a fairly substantial blow to both their reputation on these forums and their pride.
It is not that that bothers me, it is how they treat us as if we need help to get ourselves back on our feet, when we never weren't on our feet, and treat us as if they have to do things for us like we're newer to theorising than them.

I don't think our reputation has been damaged that much, since most of our theories still stand, seeing as how the split timeline that most of the UWM currently believe in is just a split version of our linear timeline, and that most of us openly admitted defeat and accepted the split timeline immediately. Also, I don't think our pride matters that much, because too much pride can lead to arrogance, so if our pride has been damaged, it's not all that bad a thing .
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Resting Bιtchface Syndrome Sufferer
Send a message via AIM to Slur Send a message via Skype™ to Slur

View Posts: 5,325

I don't want to change my signature...if that's okay. I want to keep it linear... Is that okay with you guys...? It's always where my heart has been...so yeah ^^
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Slur, just accept it. The linear timeline is dead. Just let go of it. You'll have to sooner or later, because there is no way the linear timeline can work now with what Aonuma has said. I know it's not nice letting go of something you believed in so strongly, but just accept that the linear timeline is gone, for your own sake.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Resting Bιtchface Syndrome Sufferer
Send a message via AIM to Slur Send a message via Skype™ to Slur

View Posts: 5,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient
Slur, just accept it. The linear timeline is dead. Just let go of it. You'll have to sooner or later, because there is no way the linear timeline can work now with what Aonuma has said. I know it's not nice letting go of something you believed in so strongly, but just accept that the linear timeline is gone, for your own sake.
-_- I don't even know why I asked that question...Because it's my decision.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it's a matter of choice."
My choice is my destiny and I'm not changing it. I don't want to be lectured any more if that is okay with you guys ^^ I will win in the end, this is how it always turns out--mostly T_T

Okay, I'm sooooooo sorry if I made you mad......................at any point in your life. <(_ _)>
You and everybody here.....

Azerbajiani is a dying language and yet people still follow it. I don't care if I follow something dead/dying.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Hey, Slur, you could always just call it the pre-Revelation timeline :0)

Nothing wrong with being sentimental toward something which is older but has now been modified.

Heck..look at atomic theory! We now use quantum mathematics to explain the makeup of atoms, but in schools everyone uses the Bohr model of the atom (from the 19th century!!) to visualize it.

No worries, just so that you theorize based on all the evidence :0)

EDIT: oh yes, and congrats on 600 posts!

I am teh BBDeh!
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Hyrule defend itself? HAHAHAHA!
View Posts: 4,595

Well, since you were so devoted to the timeline, I guess that everyone thinks that the split being cofirmed has shaken you up tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcvalons
Vaati is the oldest villain in the Zelda chronology, and the oldest are always the most powerful.
Man, I've disproved this point every time I've dropped by the old folk's home.

I... I'm not allowed there any more.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Master Black Mage
Send a message via AIM to Master of ALttP
View Posts: 3,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Gamer View Post
Well, since you were so devoted to the timeline, I guess that everyone thinks that the split being cofirmed has shaken you up tremendously.
It hasn't shaken us up tremendously, in no way. Well, except Historian. He's probably taking this worse than anybody.
Leminnes made my sig. Mess with Lem and I'll cast Bolt-3 on you.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
x_o ...don't run with scizssors.
View Posts: 1,210

Quick question: Can I still be an ally? If the UWM is not finished, then I can be an ally, right? Or is this a much too hectic and troublesome time to even bother thinking about this?

Quote: "Hoover dam! We're still in New York!!" - Skipper

Zelda Manga.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,583

Just like how people were shaken to discover that the earth wasn't flat. They refused to believe it was round even after it was proven. Holding onto the linear timeline is the same thing.

The ASE IS getting annoying. They're acting as if they have unsurpassable wisdom now that the split has been confirmed. This is especially annoying since I deviated away from the linear line after TP's release yet they still talk as if we're all new to theorizing.
It's the same annoyed feeling that I get when a lowly 1st dan blackbelt tries to give me, a 4th dan, tips on how to improve my kicks, when I'm the best kicker at the school.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_link
Quick question: Can I still be an ally? If the UWM is not finished, then I can be an ally, right? Or is this a much too hectic and troublesome time to even bother thinking about this?
Of course you can be an ally! Just PM Sun Guardian to become one.

It's nice to see that even though we have slightly changed our views, people stand by us. Cheers, demon_link!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
The ASE IS getting annoying. They're acting as if they have unsurpassable wisdom now that the split has been confirmed. This is especially annoying since I deviated away from the linear line after TP's release yet they still talk as if we're all new to theorizing.
It's the same annoyed feeling that I get when a lowly 1st dan blackbelt tries to give me, a 4th dan, tips on how to improve my kicks, when I'm the best kicker at the school.
Well said, silver arrow. That is what bugs me too. They act as if suddenly they are the smartest and wisest people around, as if they are the eldest theorists on ZU. Sorry guys, we were here before you, but that doesn't give us the right to treat you as idiots, hence why we don't. We are all theorists, and none of us should look down upon each other, or act more superior than another group.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 2,255

*did you hear...the wise men have fallen*
*there theory has crumbled*
hmmm what did that first post say?

Yes yes the UWM stand and proceed as if nothing has happened. What do you want? lol. What did you expect people to think?

Please do not insult the ASE. Allow us our smugness that we have indeed been right since we formed. I would not deny you any gloating rights had it been us on the chopping block. I am still rather happy that we were right and it is human nature to be happy in that kind of situation.

and silver arrow ... If you have a problem with our annoying'ness' bring it up with me or the elders and we can solve the problem. Starting a thread and slipping in things that will bring us down is NOT how things are going to work from now on.

Know too that when that day comes, I shall destroy you, LOZ Historian, and all your dreams.
Watch your back, for you may never know whom is behind that unsuspecting mask.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked Mystery
*did you hear...the wise men have fallen*
*there theory has crumbled*
hmmm what did that first post say?

Yes yes the UWM stand and proceed as if nothing has happened. What do you want? lol. What did you expect people to think?

Please do not insult the ASE. Allow us our smugness that we have indeed been right since we formed. I would not deny you any gloating rights had it been us on the chopping block. I am still rather happy that we were right and it is human nature to be happy in that kind of situation.

and silver arrow ... If you have a problem with our annoying'ness' bring it up with me or the elders and we can solve the problem. Starting a thread and slipping in things that will bring us down is NOT how things are going to work from now on.
None of us are trying to bring you down or make you look bad, we are just trying to get the message across to you to stop acting like the UWM desperately need help and to stop acting like you're now the wisest and oldest theorists here on ZU. It has become very tedious, and all this thread is is a request for it to stop.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:25 PM

If you want to banter and gloat, take it to PM. Otherwise just accept what people are saying at face value.

(i.e.--shut your yap about it, already)

EDIT: that was in response to CM's latest post, btw..

I am teh BBDeh!
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bro Davidia
If you want to banter and gloat, take it to PM. Otherwise just accept what people are saying at face value.

(i.e.--shut your yap about it, already)
I can see how all this "bickering" is frustrating to a mod, but we just want the ASE to stop acting all superior and stop trying to be the caretakers of the UWM in a way.

Tags
finished, uwm