Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-25-2006, 11:54 PM
pizda

View Posts: 11,645
There was a Hero of Time before OoT?

This is just something that caught my attention today as I was replaying OoT. As I recall, Rauru said:

"Indeed you look like the legendary Hero of Time."

Now, I'm sorry if this has been "disproved" in any way before, but was he implying that there has been a Hero of Time before? I very much got that feeling this time through the game, as if I was not the first the Hero of Time. All because of that statement.

What do you think about this?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Queen's English was good enough for Jesus Christ.
View Posts: 940
Re: There was a Hero of Time before OoT?

Quote:
Now, I'm sorry if this has been "disproved" in any way before, but was he implying that there has been a Hero of Time before? I very much got that feeling this time through the game, as if I was not the first the Hero of Time. All because of that statement.
Maybe it was said this way to leave Ocarina Of Time open to a preqel. Wether this game would actually happen is another matter. So there might be a previous hero, there might not. It was probably said that way to leave that option more open.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Send a message via AIM to Flaw Send a message via Yahoo to Flaw
View Posts: 1,743

I think that destiny gave the image of the hero of time. In other words when the Gods chose the three chosen ones they were given a certain image and Rauru must have seen these images maybe painted in a cave and then he told Link this later on.

[www.talkzelda.com]
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,598

Rauru didn't say that; Zelda did (but not in those exact words):

"As I see you standing there holding the mythical Master Sword, you really do look like the legendary Hero of Time."
- Zelda (OOT)

Zelda and the sages foresaw the coming of the Hero of Time. I think that Zelda said those words because the Hero of Time was destined to (obviously) wield the Master Sword. Since Link had the Master Sword in his hand; Zelda merely stated that he truly did look like the Hero of Time. A previous Hero of Time is highly unlikely.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Whispers in the darkness and revolution in the air
View Posts: 1,118

There probably was another Link before OoT Link.
Lets remember that by the time OoT Link found the Master Sword in the Temple of Time it was already "The legendary blade". This points to the fact that the Master Sword had already been wielded by another person, probably another "hero".

Signature by DaltonR6
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
"The legendary blade". This points to the fact that the Master Sword had already been wielded by another person, probably another "hero".
Just because the blade itself was legendary, does not mean that a hero had to have weilded it previously. It would be a legendary blade anyway, considering its power.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:25 AM

Let's remember that the blade chooses its master and in all the Zelda games the "Hero" is the one chosen.
Besides the "hero" is the one always destined to find it.

I would like to clarify one thing, there is only one Hero of Time, and that's OoT Link.

Signature by DaltonR6
Last Edited by Hero of Legends; 12-26-2006 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Legends View Post
There probably was another Link before OoT Link.
Lets remember that by the time OoT Link found the Master Sword in the Temple of Time it was already "The legendary blade". This points to the fact that the Master Sword had already been wielded by another person, probably another "hero".
That is not fact.

The word "legend" has more then one meaning. Here's an example of a "legend":

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOT
When evil rules all, an awakening voice from the Sacred Realm will call those destined to be Sages, who dwell in the five temples. One in a deep forest... One on a high mountain... One under a vast lake... One within the house of the dead... One inside a goddess of the sand... Together with the Hero of Time, the awakened ones will bind the evil and return the light of peace to the world... This is the legend of the temples passed down by my people, the Sheikah.
This "legend" happens during OOT. Which is the same case with the legend of the Hero of Time (and the Master Sword, Sacred Realm, and whatnot).

The Master Sword is legendary because the story of it had been handed down from earlier times (such as the legend of the Sacred Realm).
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:47 AM
pizda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link View Post
Rauru didn't say that; Zelda did (but not in those exact words):

"As I see you standing there holding the mythical Master Sword, you really do look like the legendary Hero of Time."
- Zelda (OOT)

Zelda and the sages foresaw the coming of the Hero of Time. I think that Zelda said those words because the Hero of Time was destined to (obviously) wield the Master Sword. Since Link had the Master Sword in his hand; Zelda merely stated that he truly did look like the Hero of Time. A previous Hero of Time is highly unlikely.
Didn't Zelda say that as Shiek?

Anyway, I think your and zeldascrazyal's explanations are the closest ones so far. It doesn't completely convince me, but it helps.

Also, the fact that the Master Sword seems to be legendary already in OoT implies that there was a hero (perhaps not one like Link, but a more simple kind like a Hylian Knight) that had used the blade against evil before. After all, one cannot wield the Master Sword without going through the trials.

Whoever used the Master Sword before OoT was in my opinion probably a Hylian Knight, especially the strongest one. I imagine the Hero of Time's father being that person, but that is pure speculation on my part.

"...keeping the knight's line true." Recognize that quote about the Master Sword?
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link View Post

The word "legend" has more then one meaning. Here's an example of a "legend":

This "legend" happens during OOT. Which is the same case with the legend of the Hero of Time (and the Master Sword, Sacred Realm, and whatnot).

The Master Sword is legendary because the story of it had been handed down from earlier times (such as the legend of the Sacred Realm).
You just repeated what I was saying in the first place. Of course the Master Sword is legendary because of the many tales told and passed down from generation to generation. Of course the sword needs someone to wield it, someone always guided by destiny, and yet the name of this person is never mentioned. Probably the same case as OoT Link, he just crept away.

Signature by DaltonR6
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 12:53 AM

The mere idea of a powerful blade is enough to keep legands alive. There has been no indication of a previous holder of the master sword. Prove it, if you want me to believe you.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue fire View Post
The mere idea of a powerful blade is enough to keep legands alive. There has been no indication of a previous holder of the master sword. Prove it, if you want me to believe you.
All right then don't believe me, I guess the master sword just walked around by itself defeating evil.

Signature by DaltonR6
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
All right then don't believe me, I guess the master sword just walked around by itself defeating evil.
When did it defeat evil before Ocarina Of Time? if you can show me that, I may be more inclined to believe you.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:08 AM
No! I use that pillow!
View Posts: 1,405

I think the whole story between the legendary Hero of Time anbd the Master Sword was more of a prophecy than an actual legend. As many have statted, there is only 1 Hero of Time, and that is OOT Link. So how can this Link look like a previous "Hero of Time" if we are controlling that hero ourselves.

The legend about the HoT was was prophecy handed down through generations, incase if any evil were to spontaneously arrise and attempt to conquer Hyrule, in which OOT happens.

The same can be said for the Master Sword. Remember, the blade isn't only a weapon, it holds as a key to the Sacred Realm... THAT is the legend behind the blade! The Sages created it and the Temple of Time to keep the evil ones out, and it is a blade evil ones may never touch.

So I say again, I doubt there was any previous hero, the legends told about the HoT and the MS are mere prophecies which become fulfilled in OOT.

Hear Their Cries...
The Wait Til Daylight Dies...
And So Twilight Seize The Skies...
Last Edited by Mystic Link; 12-26-2006 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:10 AM
pizda

Quote:
When did it defeat evil before Ocarina Of Time? if you can show me that, I may be more inclined to believe you.
Well, this whole section of the forum is dedicated to theorizing, so that's what we're doing.

And, usually when you refer to someone or something as legendary, atleast two-three decades have to had passed.

As far as I recall, nothing seems to really imply that someone used the Master Sword before OoT. It could simply be that the Master Sword had existed for a long time without being used. If there is information implying that the Master Sword had been used before OoT, please do tell me.

It's the Blade of Evil's bane, but if it gained that title through simply keeping evil away by itself or by someone worthy using it before OoT, we cannot know for sure.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]

Quote:
You just repeated what I was saying in the first place. Of course the Master Sword is legendary because of the many tales told and passed down from generation to generation. Of course the sword needs someone to wield it, someone always guided by destiny, and yet the name of this person is never mentioned. Probably the same case as OoT Link, he just crept away.
As Blue fire said, there is no indication of a previous hero before OOT. The "legend" of the Master Sword could very well be stories foretelling of the Hero of Time (as Mystic Link stated rather nicely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOT
Seven years ago, Ganondorf, the King of Thieves, used the door you opened in the Temple of Time and entered the Sacred Realm. But when he laid his hands on the Triforce, the legend "came true".
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]

Quote:
Need I remind you it was called the blade of Evil's bane before OoT Link claimed it.
The sword did not become famous for it's power but for the deeds it has done.

Signature by DaltonR6
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Send a message via AIM to Flaw Send a message via Yahoo to Flaw
View Posts: 1,743

The reason why the Master Sword is called legendary is because it's a sword created because it's use is to rid of evil and it's able to seal that great evil I like to call Ganondorf.

[www.talkzelda.com]
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Well, this whole section of the forum is dedicated to theorizing, so that's what we're doing.
I know, but I was replying to a post that implied that what it claimed was a fact.
Quote:
Need I remind you it was called the blade of Evil's bane before OoT Link claimed it.
Actually, you have already reminded me and I am not convinced. All this proves is that it has the power to repel evil, not that it has been used before.
Quote:
Really? It was the key to the sacred realm, and therefore directly linked to the Triforce. I thought that deemed it as legendary.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 AM
My right arm is the judgement of God
Send a message via AIM to Elfen Lied
View Posts: 1,430

Quote:
Quote:
i always figured the name " evil's bane" referred to the fact the blade has been used many times to defeat evil no matter what it is (or was), or who weilds the blade.

legendary, the blade quite simply is legendary for defeating evil.

Quote:
Really? It was the key to the sacred realm, and therefore directly linked to the Triforce. I thought that deemed it as legendary.
i think there is a bit of that too, with the sword and the ocarina do you not hold time itself in your hands, or however shiek said it?

Vi Veri Venivursum Vivus Vici - By the power of Truth I while living, Have Conquered the Universe
Peace shall be restored with this sword, the harmful shall be purified by our righteous methods, I am godís messenger, and Iím the one who carries out Heavenís punishments

Tags
hero, oot, time