Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
View Posts: 5,648
Biblical References in Skyward Sword.

Ok, so it's probably common knowledge now that most of Skyward Sword's story was based on stories from the Bible, in particular, Adam & eve and the Birth of Mankind.

For those who haven't yet worked it out, let me explain:
  • Hylia represents God, who created the Earth (Hyrule) and the life on it.
  • Skyloft represents the Garden of Eden, a paradise where God placed the first man and woman to protect them from harm.
  • Link and Zelda represent Adam and Eve, the first man and woman to live on Earth (The Surface).
  • Demise represents Satan, who, through his grudge with God (Hylia) wishes to destroy his creation of mankind (Hylians).

There are some differences, however. Firstly, there is no mention of any other races who warred with Satan in the Bible, unlike the races of The Surface who were said to have aided Hylia in battle. Also, unlike Adam and Eve, Link and Zelda were not tempted into sin by Demise and expelled from Skyloft, rather, Demise dragged Zelda down to The Surface, and Link was obliged to follow her.

From these references, we can assume the following:
  • The Sheikah, being servants of the Goddess, represents angels who serve God. Like angels, they appear immortal, and even on the brink of extinction, always return. Even Impa at the end of Skyward Sword appears to fade away rather than die a mortal death.
  • The Triforce is an artefact similar to the Holy Grail; a holy object desired by mankind for its supposed power.
  • Link is a Christ figure, who is regularly reincarnated to cleanse Hyrule of its sins/rid it of evil. This is supported by the fact that the Spirit of the Hero is said to appear in times of crisis, and in earlier games, there were crucifix/cross symbols featured.
  • Skyloft, like the Garden of Eden, is protected by the Goddess, and should still remain a paradise to this day (some believe that the Garden of Eden still exists on Earth.)

So what do you think? Are these comparisons to the Bible accurate? Are the Sheikah immortal? Is Skyloft still existent, but hidden?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM
マットナップ
View Posts: 486
Re: Biblical References in Skyward Sword.

I never really dug into this much. But now that it has been brought to my attention I feel the urge to do more research on the subject!

The points you stated are all very interesting and has sparked my interest on the subject, I am excited to see what other people bring to the table. This could be interesting!
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Light Spirit
Wii U ID: Tlozbj 3DS ID: 0001-3303-1181
View Posts: 4,243

I always thought of Hylia to be more like the Jesus of Hyrule, and not exactly the God, since that would be a spot cover by the Golden Three, since they were the ones who created all living beings, formed the Earth, and gave the land their laws. Though like in real life, Jesus is sometime mixed with actions done by God, then Hylia seem to be a mixture of both, doing things that both Jesus and God did. Just like God sended his son, as a mortal to cleanse the sins of the people, Hylia that seems to be a mixture of both, gave up her holy form, and become a mortal to cleanse the land of its evil.

The Statue of the Goddess also bears quite the similarities, to the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Statue of the Goddess:

Jesuschrist Statue in Brazil:

Though if Hylia, seems to be the original Christ like figure(with some mixtures with God actions related to God) in Zelda, Link indeed seems to be the one who takes that position after the events of Skyward Sword happened.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM
El Psy Congroo
View Posts: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceline Abadeer View Post

The Triforce is an artefact similar to the Holy Grail; a holy object desired by mankind for its supposed power.
I would just like to point out that the Holy Grail is never mentioned in the Bible, and only mentioned in the myths of King Arthur.

However, aside from that I don't really see any more faults in this theory. I find it very interesting as well. Nice find!
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Ikanian
View Posts: 621

1. There are other religious references, like we all know the Muslim references in Ocarina of Time.

2. Th Sheiksh aren't immortal. Go to Kakiriko Graveyard.

Interesting idea.

Playing: ST

Favorite games: OOT=MM>TP>LTTP>LBW>WW>SS>LOZ>AOL

Favorite dungeons: Forest Temple (OOT), Eastern Palace (LTTP), Snowpeak Ruins, Earth Temple (Wind Waker), Swamp Palace (either one)

Least favorite dungeons: (best to worst), Jabu Jabu's Belly, Wind Temple, Skull Woods, Lakebed Temple, Tower of Hera (LTTP)
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Mexicuter
View Posts: 5,676

The cutscene of Fi appearing on link's dream remindsme Christ appearing on joan of arc visions.

Few things satisfy like a puzzle solved!
Last Edited by Smallville Boy 69; 06-25-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Ningan the Lone Ninja
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 503

Interesting. Very interesting.

Also interesting in Skyward Sword:

- The Ancient Cistern: A reference to Buddha? The upper part of the temple is life.....the lower part of the temple is "the underworld".

- Faron flooding the forest. (God flooding the earth)

- The battle with Tentalus. (Jonah and the Whale)
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP, AStinkToThePast
View Posts: 3,643

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaronB View Post
Interesting. Very interesting.

Also interesting in Skyward Sword:

- The Ancient Cistern: A reference to Buddha? The upper part of the temple is life.....the lower part of the temple is "the underworld".

- The battle with Tentalus. (Jonah and the Whale)
Not really seeing the Jonah and the Whale thing. Tentalus seems more like a reference to the kraken of Norse mythology, although it's NoA title "abyssal leviathan" possibly is a reference to the Biblical "leviathan".
Last Edited by StinksAwakening; 06-26-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville Boy View Post
The cutscene of Fi appearing on link's dream remindsme Christ appearing on joan of arc visions.

Good find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaronB View Post
Actually, I believe the Great Flood of Hyrule more closely resembles the flood of Earth, considering it was the decision of the Golden Goddesses to flood it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 503

Very true, marceline! Didn't think of that!
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
MrBaconsock, Totakeke
View Posts: 2,545

Some even believe that the Garden of Eden was somehow taken up before Noah's flood. In Revelations, there's a part where the floating city of New Jerusalem is brought down to earth, with the Tree of Life in the centre of that city, which is presumably the same Tree of Life that was in the Garden of Eden.
So in that sense, the Skyloft/Eden analogy can be taken even further.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,594

• I think that Skyloft, if anything, is a reference to Miyazaki's "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" from 1986.
  • Hylia was more of a demigod than anything; she didn't create the land, and she didn't create life. She merely watched over it and protected it.
  • I will say Link and Zelda are like Adam and Eve in that they are the progenitors of the Hyrule Royal Family and the kingdom that is founded on the surface.
  • Demise is evil incarnate essentially, so, I would agree with this assertion to an extent. His grudge isn't so much with Hylia though but with the ancient gods - from what I inferred from SS.
  • Perhaps Impa disappeared because her role was finished, after all these years? To help guide Zelda, and guide Link.
  • Link isn't a Christ-like figure IMO because he is not divine. He is not god reborn. He is a simple human being.
  • The Triforce angle is interesting. I can't really say much more.
  • The Garden of Eden is guessed to be modern day Iraq or somewhere around that area; the Goddess sent the humans skyward, but, it's not really said that she protects Skyloft...although perhaps you could play the angle with the Sky Barrier that she was.

Interesting points, although I think there are touches of religion throughout Zelda because there are common themes that spread across all of religion/mythology.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Goron
View Posts: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlozbj View Post
I always thought of Hylia to be more like the Jesus of Hyrule, and not exactly the God, since that would be a spot cover by the Golden Three, since they were the ones who created all living beings, formed the Earth, and gave the land their laws. Though like in real life, Jesus is sometime mixed with actions done by God, then Hylia seem to be a mixture of both, doing things that both Jesus and God did. Just like God sended his son, as a mortal to cleanse the sins of the people, Hylia that seems to be a mixture of both, gave up her holy form, and become a mortal to cleanse the land of its evil.

The Statue of the Goddess also bears quite the similarities, to the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Statue of the Goddess:

Jesuschrist Statue in Brazil:

Though if Hylia, seems to be the original Christ like figure(with some mixtures with God actions related to God) in Zelda, Link indeed seems to be the one who takes that position after the events of Skyward Sword happened.
OMG, I was JUST about to post that. Good thing I read your post first.

I'd say Link is more a prophet like Moses, who leads his people to the Promised Land. Other than being chosen by the Gods, Link himself isn't divine so I don't think he's Jesus. Zelda fits that role better. Adam would be a rather good comparison too. Or heck, considering his relationship to Zelda, he might as well be Mary Magdalene. Miyamoto Code anyone?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Bicentennial_Pidgeon Bicentennial_Pidgeon is a male United States Bicentennial_Pidgeon is offline
View Posts: 1,385

Is the Sacred Realm heaven then?

or is there some other undisclosed location that Hylian souls go to when they die?

Sig by Caleb, avy by UzukiSS--MC--**OoT--MM--TP--FS--FSA**--WW--PH--ST--""LoZ--AoL""--{IW}--ALttp/OoX/LA
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Sheikah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicentennial_Pidgeon View Post
Is the Sacred Realm heaven then?

or is there some other undisclosed location that Hylian souls go to when they die?
I'd say the Sacred Realm/Silent Realm is heaven/nirvana (a place only achieved using the power of the mind) while the Twilight Realm is hell (where the interlopers were sent as punishment).

Considering both the Triforce and the Chamber of Sages are both said to lie in the Sacred Realm, I guess it is a pretty holy-exclusive place.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP, AStinkToThePast
View Posts: 3,643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceline Abadeer View Post
I'd say the Sacred Realm/Silent Realm is heaven/nirvana (a place only achieved using the power of the mind) while the Twilight Realm is hell (where the interlopers were sent as punishment).

Considering both the Triforce and the Chamber of Sages are both said to lie in the Sacred Realm, I guess it is a pretty holy-exclusive place.
It seems pretty neutral to me. I mean, the place can be either a paradise or hell, depending on who enters it first, according to Ocarina of Time.

With that being said, I like to imagine that the people of Hyrule think it's heaven, but given that their hearts became all greedy and twisted during the numerous Triforce wars, they would be in for a rude awakening once they enter the place as it would become hell.
2 people liked this post: Bicentennial_Pidgeon, Ningan the Lone Ninja
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 AM
The Baton of the Wind The Baton of the Wind is a male United States The Baton of the Wind is offline
Master Shortpants
View Posts: 4,250

I don't think there are many christian references in SS at all. In fact, I'd say its more inspired by Greek mythology, Buddism, and possibly Shinto beliefs.

The "golden goddesses" are a total nod toward western mythology, Greek or otherwise. In Norse mythology, there are the "great mothers" which are goddesses that are honored during Jul. But though they may be inspired by western folklore, in the case of the 3 goddesses in Zelda Miyamoto seems to have created mythology unique in itself here.

Hylia reminds me much of Athena in Greek mythology. But there may be a Japanese mythological source here, too. She sounds a little like a Japanese goddess named Amaterasu, who actually had a feud with Susanoo her brother after he was banished from the upper world. Sounds kind of like Hylia vs Demise. And Susanoo's power is said to be found through his sword. Demise & Ghirahim?

But Demise actually sounds more like one of many demons the Hindu / Buddhists call Rakshasa. They are said to be humanoid, yet will frequently shape shift at will and would slaughter many people. In the mythology, they're also said to eat humans and descecrate their graves. They're also said to be abhorrent towards prayer and religious sacrifices.

Regarding Link and Zelda being Adam and Eve, there is nothing indicating they had a romantic relationship except in the NoA spin on the dialogue, much less them starting a family together at the end.

Everyone would head to the surface world, it isn't just those two. Adam and Eve were the first 2 humans period. There were many humans on the surface at the end of SS. And their purpose is to protect the triforce, not to procreate. And there isn't even any indication they were romantically involved with one another at the end. It was just them protecting the triforce together, as per the prophesy by Hylia.

Also this:

Quote:
リンク. わたしは確かに女神の生まれ変わりだけど... 今でもお父様の娘でリンクの幼馴じみのゼルダなの...
Link. While I certainly am the reborn Goddess... I still am Father’s daughter and Link’s childhood friend, Zelda...
She acknowledges a plutonic relationship between them--like in TMC--before going into her slumber, and never even hints at romantic feelings.

The only instance I can think of that point to an acknowledgement or suspision of romantic relations between Link and Zelda is Groose being jealous of Link because Link got her attention and Groose couldn't get her attention. At least not the attention he was clearly seeking, even in the Japanese version.

I've been told that before Zelda gets swept up by the tornado that she was about to "confess he love." However, given the circumstances and the plot, its much more plausible that she was going to try telling him about the voices she heard coming from the surface. So, this is debatable; but with the lack of evidence elsewhere in the Japanese dialogue and in any other in-game source, the latter is much more feasible.

tldr; I believe that Link <3 Zelda was assumed and agreed upon in the west. Especially given the fan hopes in the west for a Link <3 Zelda scenario. But it just doesn't appear to be so afterall.

EDIT: I've also noticed people making the arguement the statue looks like a jesus statue. On the contrary: Goddess statues.

Here's one of Athena:

Translations:

SS --- TWW

Last Edited by The Baton of the Wind; 06-29-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: eiyuu_004, GerudoSpirit, Sophie
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Live together, die alone

Quote:
Everyone would head to the surface world, it isn't just those two. Adam and Eve were the first 2 humans period. There were many humans on the surface at the end of SS. And their purpose is to protect the triforce, not to procreate. And there isn't even any indication they were romantically involved with one another at the end. It was just them protecting the triforce together, as per the prophesy by Hylia.
If everyone would head to the surface, then why did Zelda's father and the others head back to the skies? And Link and Zelda's loftwings left together, leaving them on the surface together, much like their loftwings leaving together. There is so much subtext there. And if you want to get technical, they would procreate because they would need heirs to pass their legacy to so they, too, could protect the Triforce. Hence the beginning of the Hyrulian Royal Family.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2013, 12:53 AM
The Baton of the Wind The Baton of the Wind is a male United States The Baton of the Wind is offline
Master Shortpants
View Posts: 4,250

It could have been with anyone to pass on their respective legacies. And to be technical, because they're watching over the triforce they wouldn't have had children at all and had devoted their engergies into protecting the Triforce. Their heirs in protecting the Triforce in this case would be trusted family / friends to carry out the duty. Zelda is Hylia afterall, she can choose who she wants to watch over the triforce with judgement...

And like I said, there's no indication of romance between them.

Translations:

SS --- TWW

Last Edited by The Baton of the Wind; 06-29-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 AM
Live together, die alone

There is a romantic subtext throughout the entire game and it's not just from NoA, it's also expressed in the body language among other things. 99.9% of times in Japanese anime and video games the main male character ends up his childhood friend.

Also, there's always this.
1 person liked this post: Zordon

Tags
christianity, hylia, skyward sword, the bible