Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
MrBaconsock, Totakeke
View Posts: 2,541
Nature of Silent Realms, the Sacred Realm, and Twilight Realm

In Skyward Sword, Link finds his way into several different silent realms. Most of these silent realms were designed by Hylia to be trials for her hero, but there was one silent realm that served as the resting place of the Triforce. Because of this, most conclude that the silent realm areas holding the Triforce pieces are in fact the sacred realm. It is my belief that there are many silent realms with varying purposes, and that the sacred realm is the only one that houses the Triforce.

Basically, silent realms are “spirit realms”; mirroring dimensions that typically reflect the light world. There are many, and the Sacred Realm is one of them. Depending on who enters and inhabits these realms, they can either become a dark world, or a paradise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Zelda (OoT)
The resting place of the sacred triangle, the Sacred Realm, is a mirror that reflects what is in the heart… the heart of one who enters it… If an evil heart, the Realm will become full of evil; if pure, the Realm will become a paradise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrule Historia, pg.87
The Sacred Realm is a mirror that reflects the hearts of those who set foot in it. An evil heart will turn the realm into a living hell. A pure heart will transform it into paradise. Using the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf became the Demon King. The Sacred Realm was distorted into a nightmarish world where demons ran amuck.
When Ganondorf entered the Sacred Realm, his evil heart transformed it into the Dark World of ALttP.

Like the Sacred Realm, the Twilight Realm is also a silent realm, but serves a purpose different from all the others. The Twilight Realm is a silent realm that was used to imprison the dark interlopers as punishment for their attempt to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm.

Let’s take a look at this quote from Midna:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midna
Some call our realm a world of shadows, but that makes it sound so unpleasant…The twilight there holds a serene beauty…You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world. Bathed in that light, all the people were pure and gentle…But things changed once that foul power pervaded the world…
What always bothered me about this quote, is that if the Twilight Realm is supposed to be this beautiful and serene place, why would the Interlopers be sent there as punishment? If you consider the theory that the Twilight Realm is actually a silent realm, just as the Sacred Realm is a silent realm, then it makes sense. Like the Sacred Realm, the Twilight Realm can also transform according to the hearts of the people who dwell inside of it.

The Light Spirits sent the Interlopers to the Twilight Realm knowing that their evil hearts would transform the realm into a hellish dark world. As their descendants began to spread over the centuries, this dark world slowly reverted to a beautiful golden land, and it remained this way until Ganondorf arrived and helped Zant usurp Midna’s throne.

Interesting links between the Sacred Realm/Dark World, the Twilight Realm, and Silent Realms:

1. Hero transforms into an Animal
In ALttP, Link is transformed into a bunny because the dark world changed him to reflect his true nature. Similarly, TP's corrupted twilight realm transformed Link into a wolf, which was a sign of the hero.
It's important to note that Link while in the silent realms, doesn't transform into an animal at all. Instead, he becomes a spirit. This spirit form is similar to the form regular people took in TP when they were covered in Zant's twilight. The reason Link took a spirit form in SS and not an animal could be that the silent realms were not in a state of corruption like the dark world and twilight realms were, or it could be that SS Link was not yet established as "the hero", therefore not transforming as the hero would.

2. Modes of transportation
Both ALttP and TP use magic mirrors as a means of travelling between realms. In ALttP, the magic mirror was used by link to travel from the sacred realm/dark world, to the light world. In TP, the Mirror of Twilight was what allowed travel between the Twilight Realm and the Light world.

In ALttP, mysterious portals on the ground were used to travel to the sacred realm/dark world.

In SS, Trial Gates on the ground were used to travel to the silent realms.

In FSA, travel to the dark world was through moon gates on the ground.

3. The Sacred Realm is called the Golden Land
Gold is a colour heavily associated with twilight. It's the colour of the twilight realm's sky, and the colour of the silent realms when an enemy spots Link, and when all triforce pieces have been retrieved in Skyloft.

NOTE: Silent Realms may just be a name given to any "spirit realm" that is dormant or "asleep". In which case, they only have their golden, twilight-iness when they are awakened.

4. Dusk Relics

These are dusk relics. They are only found in the silent realm. What's another word for dusk? Twilight.

5. Tears of Light and Light Vessel
In both SS and TP, Link collects the tears of Farore, Nayru, and Din inside similar looking vessels as part of their mission while in Twilight or the silent realms. Don't have an explanation for how they're exactly related, but it's a huge similarity that can't be ignored.

Conclusion:
Silent realms are all part of a larger "spirit realm" or "spirit world" that exists behind all of Hyrule. Different areas of this world can be isolated and used for different purposes. The Sacred Realm and the Twilight Realm are both isolated areas of this world. A common trait between all of these areas are their golden ambience and their tendency to reflect the hearts of those who enter them. The Sacred Realm and the Twilight Realm both became dark worlds when they were corrupted by the hearts of Ganondorf and the Dark Interlopers respectively.
Last Edited by War Machine; 06-26-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Reila, Thanatos-Zero
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Spirit Dreams Inside
View Posts: 566
Re: Nature of Silent Realms, the Sacred Realm, and Twilight Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by José Carioca View Post
Different areas of this world can be isolated and used for different purposes.
Hmm, I like this. It supports one of the theories I have after playing Skyward Sword: The place where the Hero's Shade teaches his moves to TP!Link in Twilight Princess is nothing but a Silent Realm, both places are, well, silent and share similar color schemes. That would explain why there are two different Links co-existing in there, considering that all Links are the same soul reincarnated*, in a way that the Hero's Shade isn't a separated being, he is in fact TP!Link himself.

Yes, I know that Hero's Shade appears on Hyrule Field, but lets consider the fact that only Link seems to notice the present of the golden wolf, not even Midna mentions anything about him. I believe the golden wolf is just a projection of TP!Link's soul, it is only in his mind, so only he can see it.

*That is not a fact, I know, but I believe it.

Anyway, nice thread.

""...Oh, boy! I thought you were a giant grasshopper! But you're not! You're a person!"
Last Edited by Reila; 05-09-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: War Machine
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Great King of Evil
View Posts: 2,448

"Golden Land" is just an old translation of "Sacred Realm" (the Japanese versions only have one term).
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP
View Posts: 3,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reila View Post

Hmm, I like this. It supports one of the theories I have after playing Skyward Sword: The place where the Hero's Shade teaches his moves to TP!Link in Twilight Princess is nothing but a Silent Realm, both places are, well, silent and share similar color schemes. That would explain why there are two different Links co-existing in there, considering that all Links are the same soul reincarnated*, in a way that the Hero's Shade isn't a separated being, he is in fact TP!Link himself.

Yes, I know that Hero's Shade appears on Hyrule Field, but lets consider the fact that only Link seems to notice the present of the golden wolf, not even Midna mentions anything about him. I believe the golden wolf is just a projection of TP!Link's soul, it is only in his mind, so only he can see it.

*That is not a fact, I know, but I believe it.

Anyway, nice thread.
Well, I support all of this except for the idea that the Hero's Shade isn't a separated being. I won't go into detail here, because I don't want to derail the thread, but yes, I do believe that the Hero's Shade takes Link into a Silent Realm.

There's also the fact that Link's body stays behind when he enters both the Silent Realm and when he learns those moves by the Hero's Shade. Another very minor point is that both places echo a lot.
2 people liked this post: Reila, Thanatos-Zero
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
MrBaconsock, Totakeke
View Posts: 2,541

I like the idea of the area where Link and the Hero's shade meets being a silent realm. It makes sense, especially considering that Link's body is left in the light world when he goes there, as ASttP mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganon Vader
"Golden Land" is just an old translation of "Sacred Realm" (the Japanese versions only have one term).
Still, I'd say it's a pretty accurate term, considering it is golden.
Last Edited by War Machine; 05-09-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Great King of Evil
View Posts: 2,448

Quote:
Still, I'd say it's a pretty accurate term, considering it is golden.
That is true. "Sacred" and "Golden" are both accurate descriptions.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Topaz Mutiny Topaz Mutiny is a female United States Topaz Mutiny is offline
Wii U ID: Topaz_Mutiny 3DS ID: 5370-0400-3836
View Posts: 4,177

This is a neat theory, and as far as I can see it makes quite a bit of sense. Kudos for you!
Online Games: ACNL, MK7, Pkmn X+Y, Miiverse

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 44

I don't think there's enough evidence here to say that the Twilight Realm is a Silent Realm.

Quote:
What always bothered me about this quote, is that if the Twilight Realm is supposed to be this beautiful and serene place, why would the Interlopers be sent there as punishment?
1) The Interlopers weren't sent there as punishment. As TP explains, they were "banished" to the Twilight Realm so they could not establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. In other words, they were sent to the Twilight Realm purely to eliminate them as a threat, not to punish them for their actions.

2) Midna's quote implies that most people consider the Twilight Realm a world of shadows. Midna is just talking about her opinion of it when she says it's serene and beautiful.

Quote:
If you consider the theory that the Twilight Realm is actually a silent realm, just as the Sacred Realm is a silent realm, then it makes sense. Like the Sacred Realm, the Twilight Realm can also transform according to the hearts of the people who dwell inside of it.

The Light Spirits sent the Interlopers to the Twilight Realm knowing that their evil hearts would transform the realm into a hellish dark world. As their descendants began to spread over the centuries, this dark world slowly reverted to a beautiful golden land, and it remained this way until Ganondorf arrived and helped Zant usurp Midna’s throne.
1) The Twilight Realm has always been a realm of twilight. It wasn't a world of light before Zant usurped the throne. Hence Midna's description of it (which you quoted) as a world of twilight and not a world of light. In fact, from flashbacks from before Zant usurped the throne, we even see that the Twilight Realm had the twilight lighting even before Zant did anything bad.

2) The actual stated reason that the realm is in chaos is a combination of Ganon's malice (according to HH) and the fact that Zant disabled the Sols and then cursed the Twili using the power granted to him by Ganondorf. It doesn't have anything to do with the realm reflecting Ganon's or Zant's heart.
Last Edited by kiij; 05-11-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: gamtos
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Sanctimonious Prick
Steam ID: i don't even remember
View Posts: 1,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiij View Post
I don't think there's enough evidence here to say that the Twilight Realm is a Silent Realm.
2) Midna's quote implies that most people consider the Twilight Realm a world of shadows. Midna is just talking about her opinion of it when she says it's serene and beautiful.
She's the queen of the Twilight Realm. You'd think she'd know what she's talking about.
Quote:
1) The Twilight Realm has always been a realm of twilight. It wasn't a world of light before Zant usurped the throne. Hence Midna's description of it (which you quoted) as a world of twilight and not a world of light. In fact, from flashbacks from before Zant usurped the throne, we even see that the Twilight Realm had the twilight lighting even before Zant did anything bad.
That's not what the OP means. He means that the Twilight (balance of light and dark) Realm can be a world of light, just like the Sacred Realm can be a paradise. Ganondorf's evil instead transformed its denizens into the hellish Shadow Beasts, and darkened the warp portals... almost like what would happen were he to enter the Sacred Realm.
He's not implying that it ever was a world of light (which it might have been before the Interlopers were banished there). He's saying that it can be the three shades: pure, balanced, and corrupt, just like the Sacred Realm.
Quote:
2) The actual stated reason that the realm is in chaos is a combination of Ganon's malice (according to HH) and the fact that Zant disabled the Sols and then cursed the Twili using the power granted to him by Ganondorf. It doesn't have anything to do with the realm reflecting Ganon's or Zant's heart.
I'm going to go out here and say my opinion: The reason the Twilight Realm wasn't instantly corrupted by Ganondorf's inner spirit is because all the Twili/Interlopers who had lived there for so long helped balance it out. They loved their home--I'm sure they long ago abandoned their malice. Of course, there were also the Sols, which probably repelled his evil while he was lurking around in Spirit Form.

So, with all that countering his "aura of malevolence," he had to manually use his magic. That's why he employed Zant--to help him get rid of the Sols so that the corruption of the other Twili would be easier.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM
#spagtos
Send a message via Skype™ to gamtos

View Posts: 7,382

While I agree that the evidence stated in the first part of the theory is neatly refuted by Kiij, I do believe that enough circumstantial evidence can lead to a pattern, and there is a huge amount of circumstantial evidence that links the several realms together.

An obvious link between all of these realms is, well, that they're all realms. Maybe that's the only real link there is.

I think we need to figure out what the Legend of Zelda's definition of "realm" is. Just like their definition of sages or temples or force, this definition may be something that the Oxford English Dictionary doesn't quite agree with.

In any case, my headcanon-lexicon has been updated. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima†eur View Post
She's the queen of the Twilight Realm. You'd think she'd know what she's talking about.
Not even the Golden Goddesses have the right to say what is objectively beautiful and what isn't.
Last Edited by gamtos; 05-12-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Ganon Vader
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
The Incorrigible
View Posts: 68

Not sure if I agree with the idea of the realms being changed by the needs of the people inside them, but I agree with your theory that they're all different incarnations of a "default" realm. I personally think it's more likely that the realms are "rented" out, sort of, as the goddesses see fit. It's my understanding that the goddess/es were the ones to create the silent realm for the trials, the sacred realm for the triforce, the twilight realm for the interlopers, etc. They just need a lot of space to work with.

As far as the golden light of the Twilight Realm, I agree with Klij. I assumed the serene beauty of it all existed from the beginning as a way of mellowing the interlopers out.