Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
The King of Red Lions The King of Red Lions is a male United States The King of Red Lions is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 396
Re: Master Sword analysis and Time Travel

I'm sorry but I just think that the method of time travel in OoT is different than SS and TP.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Red Lions View Post
I'm sorry but I just think that the method of time travel in OoT is different than SS and TP.
Yes it IS!
I'm just saying that the time travel only works towards the past in all three games!
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Jedi Master Sagan Jedi Master Sagan is a male United States Jedi Master Sagan is online now
made of star stuff
Send a message via AIM to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Skype™ to Jedi Master Sagan
View Posts: 2,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDude View Post
Are you saying that the Master Sword makes a time bubble around the wielder? I think I have seen that theorized in regards to the timeshift stones.
If anything, it'd be a bubble encompassing the entire world. Which is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamtos View Post
I'd call you our resident science fairy but you have more of a tendency to bulldoze over theories and "science bulldozer" just doesn't have that nickname sparkle.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,252

I don't follow you. Why would the bubble encompass the entire world?
1 person liked this post: Norebo
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Royal Hylian

On a side note, just for the record, I recently played that part in SS when you find Zelda in the Temple of Hylia. She says that the Goddess created Fi, not the Master Sword. I'm playing the European version, which translations are usually more faithful to the original than the American ones. Can someone provide a link to that part of the game in fan-translated Japanese?
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Jedi Master Sagan Jedi Master Sagan is a male United States Jedi Master Sagan is online now
made of star stuff
Send a message via AIM to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Skype™ to Jedi Master Sagan

Quote:
I don't follow you. Why would the bubble encompass the entire world?
The timeshift fields only revert time in a limited area. All indications are that in OoT the world of the past exists in its entirety; that is we have no reason to expect that if we leave Hyrule we'll suddenly end up back in the future world. If so, then if the OoT time travel works like the timeshift stones, it has to create a bubble that encompasses the world. At the minimum it must encompass Hyrule Kingdom itself. Either way, it's an outlandish idea.

Quote:
I'd call you our resident science fairy but you have more of a tendency to bulldoze over theories and "science bulldozer" just doesn't have that nickname sparkle.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,252

That's not what I was talking about. I was referring to the idea that the Master Sword creates a time bubble that prevents Link from being affected by the timeshift stones.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM
made of star stuff

Ah. That works for SS, but it still wouldn't fit OoT.

Quote:
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Royal Hylian

Quote:
That's not what I was talking about. I was referring to the idea that the Master Sword creates a time bubble that prevents Link from being affected by the timeshift stones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoshi View Post
Ah. That works for SS, but it still wouldn't fit OoT.
Indeed, I don't recall using the timeshift stones in OOT.
And as I already explained, Link returns to his childhood (=is affected by time travel) because in OOT to activate the time travel "device" he had to leave the MS in its pedestal. So, technically, the "bubble" theory would be valid in OOT as well.
Last Edited by Norebo; 06-29-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
O hero chosen by the Goddess... I am Teekay, the Coffee Dragon.
Send a message via Skype™ to Teekay
View Posts: 762

About the air/earth thing, it's worth mentioning the lyrics to the Ballad of the Goddess:

"Oh youth, guided by the servant of the goddess, unite earth and sky, and bring light to the land. "

I think beyond referring to uniting Skyloft and Hyrule, those lyrics could also refer to Zelda regaining her memories by praying within the Skyview and Earth Temples, and to the Master Sword somehow gaining power from sky and earth elements.

credit to Her Grace for the idea

Think you know everything there is to know about Princess Zelda?
Think again.
Last Edited by Teekay; 06-29-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Norebo
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
made of star stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mortipher View Post
Indeed, I don't recall using the timeshift stones in OOT.
And as I already explained, Link returns to his childhood (=is affected by time travel) because in OOT to activate the time travel "device" he had to leave the MS in its pedestal. So, technically, the "bubble" theory would be valid in OOT as well.
But why would the mechanic work differently if they're both the time gate? In SS the time gate actually moves your physical presence to another time, rather than emulating the past like the stones or apparently rewinding time a la OoT.

Quote:
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Royal Hylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestria View Post
About the air/earth thing, it's worth mentioning the lyrics to the Ballad of the Goddess:

"Oh youth, guided by the servant of the goddess, unite earth and sky, and bring light to the land. "

I think beyond referring to uniting Skyloft and Hyrule, those lyrics could also refer to Zelda regaining her memories by praying within the Skyview and Earth Temples, and to the Master Sword somehow gaining power from sky and earth elements.

credit to Her Grace for the idea
That's a VERY good assumption!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoshi View Post
But why would the mechanic work differently if they're both the time gate? In SS the time gate actually moves your physical presence to another time, rather than emulating the past like the stones or apparently rewinding time a la OoT.
uhm. I think we have a problem with comunication here.

I. NEVER. MENTIONED. THE. STONES.

That being said, I don't see the problem at all!! In SS The Gate of Time makes you go 1000 years in the past. You didn't exist there. You travel there and you use the Master Sword and you keep it with you. And you PASS THROUGH IT.
In OOT the same happen, but it's 7 years, you existed and you return to your original form because you leave the Master Sword in the pedestal. AND YOU DON'T PASS THROUGH THE GATE, YOU JUST ACTIVATE A DEVICE.
In SS you travel. In OOT you rewind. No emulation of sorts.
Obviously, if my theory is taken by fact, Rauru would have modified the Gate of Time, to serve the porpuse of helping the Hero by sending him in the era of the PAST he needs to. That's all I wanted to prove with this theory.
Last Edited by Norebo; 06-30-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 01:43 AM
made of star stuff

THE. STONES. ARE. A. COMPARISON. BECAUSE. THE. MECHANICS. OBVIOUSLY. DON'T. MATCH. THE. TIME. GATE.

The only way to travel use the gate in SS is to pass through it, and it takes you physically back. Meanwhile, the Pedestal of Time forms a giant pillar of light around you. It doesn't work anything like what we see in SS, and saying "oh it got modified" means nothing, because he could have just as easily built an entirely new mechanism, and that would still fit what we see.

Quote:
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
View Posts: 319

makes sense as theyre in the same location, do the same thing (time travel) and are both activated by the master sword