Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Floating in the background
Send a message via Skype™ to hoodedone
View Posts: 1,239
Dark interlopers worshipped in Stone Tower Temple

In this article Hylian Dan has formed a theory considering blasphemy in Stone Tower Temple and Ikana. I would like to take this theory a step further by saying it's not just defying the goddesses what happens here but also the worshipping of a great opponent of them, the dark interlopers (later twili, or shadow tribe (japanese)) Besides that, it may well be possible that the realm that Majora had been sealed in by the goddesses is linked to or the same as the realm of the interlopers.

The first clue to this can be found in the stone tower doors As you can see they depict two half suns, one red, one yellow. These can be viewed as a rising and setting sun. Dusk and dawn are the moments when there is twilight. So the doors seem to refer to the twilight.

Multiple references to the interlopers' power (in the form of the fused shadow) are also present.
This statue with a door in it, when turned upside down resembles Majora's Mask. But upright, it shows several similarities to the completed fused shadow
Besides that, we see symbols resembling Midna wearing the fused shadow. They can be found on the boss door, on the temple flipping gem The symbols refer to the immense power wielded by the interlopers and are featured on key points in the temple. So we could certainly speak of a certain form of respect, fear or worshipping.

Igos du Ikana says a lot about light and darkness and (before the fight) prefers the latter: "Oh, insolent one who has brought the abominable light into the dark land of Ikana…"
He later refers to the darkness as a curse, seeping from the temple: "In order to bring true light back to this land, you must seal the door to the Rock Building that is spewing out a dark wind." (quotes translated from the japanese version of the game (see theorizing resources))
The darkness consuming the world is also (in a different way) present in Twilight Princess, so we know that some gateway to the realm of the Twili can cause this to happen. perhaps that is what we see here

The giant mask, found in the temple has some things in common with this one, belonging to Zant. If we go into extremes, we might even be able to compare the temple's entrance to Zant's head because of the light in the eyes, the finger on fire pointing to the sky can be seen as a tribute to Zant's magical abilities. (perhaps those of one of his forefathers)
These are all signs that the people of Ikana may well have encountered the dark interlopers at some point in time and that the realm where majora's mask was sealed is related to the one where the interlopers where put away.

Sig by IceCreamLink! <>BA characters <> Writings
1 person liked this post: amladeus
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Light Spirit
Wii U ID: Tlozbj 3DS ID: 0001-3303-1181
View Posts: 4,168
Re: Dark interlopers worshipped in Stone Tower Temple

It's highly inprobable.The similarities can be because it was built by the Terminan counterpart of the DI. Because it seems that the HMS was the only who knew about the entrance to Termina.
Last Edited by tlozbj; 06-11-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Floating in the background
Send a message via Skype™ to hoodedone
View Posts: 1,239

The presence of triforce marks makes it believable that the goddesses are at least known here too. why would they not have one prison dimension for all the evil they pluck out of others?

Sig by IceCreamLink! <>BA characters <> Writings
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Light Spirit
Wii U ID: Tlozbj 3DS ID: 0001-3303-1181
View Posts: 4,168

Because the twilight realm is big enough. The triforce their can mean the conection of Majora, Fierce deity and the giants.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlozbj View Post
It's highly inprobable.The similarities can be because it was built by the Terminan counterpart of the DI. Because it seems that the HMS was the only who knew about the entrance to Termina.
Skull Kid clearly knows about it, as he travels between the two. And, well, Link as well. So it's not out of the question that others have traveled to and from as well. Plus, as I've argued elsewhere, not every single person or event that happens in Hyrule needs to have a version occur in Termina as well. I don't think that Stone Tower was built by the Dark Interlopers of Hyrule, but I also don't think they were built by their "Termina counterpart" either. I think they were built by the people of Ikana, who were their own thing.

And indeed, the Goddesses of Hyrule were at least known to the builders of Stone Tower. Even if you don't agree with Hylian Dan's well known theory (I personally think he was onto some really cool ideas and agree with some of it, while thinking other parts of it are unlikely or going too far), you have to acknowledge the Tri-Force is depicted in Stone Tower, so they knew about it.

Anyway, as I said, I don't really believe this theory here about the Dark Interlopers, but it is kinda interesting. There are some noteworthy parallels, at least. Although I'm pretty sure the statue mentioned is meant to depict Majora's Mask, not the Fused Shadow. Although potential connections between the two are open to theory as well.
1 person liked this post: tlozbj
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,252

I don't see the similarities you're pointing out.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 PM
ElectricGoose ElectricGoose is a male United States ElectricGoose is offline
Best Theorist W12
View Posts: 1,338

You've brought up some interesting points, but I doubt it for many reasons.

1. From a real-world perspective, MM came out eight years before TP, with all that Aonuma and the designers had on their hands, it seems unlikely they would plan this far ahead.

2. Termina and Hyrule are separate dimensions. Interlopers are in Hyrule. Stone Tower is in Termina. It is unlikely the Interlopers ever made a name in Termina, much less even visited it.

3. I like what you say about the two suns... but wherever twilight is depicted, it is shown in the form of darkness, not light. The Interlopers also did not become Twili until they were banished, which is probably not when they were worshipped. I took the sun on top and sun on bottom to represent how the sun is below you if you flip the temple.

Perhaps Stone Tower will be expanded on in the future of the franchise, but for now, I don't think this was at all developer intent.

Signature courtesy of the very Snurtly Snurtlicious

What were the dungeons of Twilight Princess really used for? Please read!
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Sanctimonious Prick
Steam ID: i don't even remember
View Posts: 1,080

People keep confusing "twilight" and "darkness." The Fused Shadows Shadows Cystals and the Sols are what keeps the balance of twilight. Twilight is, quite literally, a balance between light and darkness—when Zant locked away the Sols, the Twili became shadow beasts, because there was no more light. In fact, were the Shadow Crystals to be taken away, I'm sure that the Twilight Realm would develge into a dimension akin to the human world.
Last Edited by Animateur; 08-22-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Jedi Master Sagan Jedi Master Sagan is a male United States Jedi Master Sagan is offline
made of star stuff
Send a message via AIM to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Skype™ to Jedi Master Sagan
View Posts: 2,750

Uh, no. The Fused Shadows were taken by the kami and kept in the Light World. They shouldn't have any effect on Twilight Realm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamtos View Post
I'd call you our resident science fairy but you have more of a tendency to bulldoze over theories and "science bulldozer" just doesn't have that nickname sparkle.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Knight of Cyndonia
View Posts: 187

Why is it unlikely? Link was able to make his way to Termina, why not the Interlopers?
Last Edited by amladeus; 08-22-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Sanctimonious Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoshi View Post
Uh, no. The Fused Shadows were taken by the kami and kept in the Light World. They shouldn't have any effect on Twilight Realm.
Mixed up "Shadow Crystals" and "Fused Shadows," sorry. Edited my post just now.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Jedi Master Sagan Jedi Master Sagan is a male United States Jedi Master Sagan is offline
made of star stuff
Send a message via AIM to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Skype™ to Jedi Master Sagan
View Posts: 2,750

Ah. Well, I'm not sure what the Japanese version says, but in the US version the crystals (I'm assuming you refer to the fog that forces you into wolf form) are said to be Zant's work, rather than a natural phenomenon. As Midna is an inhabitant of Twilight Realm, she would know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamtos View Post
I'd call you our resident science fairy but you have more of a tendency to bulldoze over theories and "science bulldozer" just doesn't have that nickname sparkle.
Last Edited by Jedi Master Sagan; 08-23-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Sanctimonious Prick

Well, we can still assume that the Sols keep the Twilight Realm from becoming a Dark World. In fact, "sol" is Latin for "sun."