Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
- E u z e t h - G o z z o -
View Posts: 821
Unbreakable Spirit

Unbreakable Spirit. The first time we hear this in in Skyward Sword.
It is stated that it is necessary to use the Triforce properly, along that such an individual must also grow spriritually in Power, Wisdom and Courage in order to be balanced so that the Triforce does not break into three fragments,

My question is of which persons we can say with certain, that they actually possessed such a spirit.
It also begs the question, if those with the Spirit of the Hero (all other Links) have all an unbreakable spirit as well.

We know that SS Link has one and it is implied that Hylia/SS Zelda possesses one as well as she wanted to use the Triforce herself.
AlttP Link, AoL Link, OoT Ganondorf and King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule were able to wish on it, but it is uncertain if they had an unbreakable spirit in the first place.

Interresting to note from gossip I have heard is, that the japanese version of Skyward Sword uses Spirit of a Beast instead of Unbreakable Spirit. It still needs to be comfirmed though.

If it is indeed true, then it would indicate that OoT Link (Hero's shade) and TP Link have those, as they appear as beasts in Twilight Princess.
AlttP Link appears as a bunny however in the Dark Realm.

Any further clues, dear colleagues?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Knight of Cyndonia
View Posts: 187
Re: Unbreakable Spirit

I think all Link's have an unbreakable spirit. That is a trait of courage, is it not?
But I'm still confused. So SS states that you need an unbreakable spirit to use the triforce properly? Define properly. Ganon wishing all of his evil things is hardly proper use of the triforce I would say.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Yes, indeed it is a confusing matter.
As for Courage, I am not sure if it is the defining trait of the unbreakable spirit. It is willpower, determination I think.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP
View Posts: 3,570

I think the "unbreakable spirit" requires the hero to have reached a certain maturity level and have certain experiences; hence, why OoT Link was sealed away when he picked up the Master Sword. This would also explain why LoZ Link doesn't get the mark of the triforce until his 16th birthday.

I think all Link's have the capability to develop the unbreakable spirit, but not all of them necessarily do.
2 people liked this post: amladeus, FlyingSombrero
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,252

When did Ocarina of Time's Ganondorf wish on the Triforce?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDude View Post
You forgot the Downfall Timeline. After defeating Link (as human), he took the Triforce of Courage from him and Zelda's Triforce of Wisdom. As he had the true force in his hand, he transformed into his demonic form to become the great Demonking Ganon.
However, before his wish came to pass, Zelda and the six sages sealed him into the Sacred Realm. As Alttp staters, he wished to rule the world and so the Sacred Realm transformed into his personal heaven, a hellish version of Hyrule itself, the Dark Realm.
The difference between the Adult Timeline and the Downfall Timeline, is that Ganondorf was seeking to break out in the AT, but not so much in the DT because he got what he desired and was satisfied for along time until he grew bored and desired to conquer the real Hyrule.
However the seal what Zelda and the Sages created was too strong for him to pass through, so he had to split a part of his soul, so it could slip through.

For some unknown reason, he didn't make use of the Triforce he already possessed to break the seal. Either he became a god himself so he cannot make use of it again or the Triforce is limited in its functions either because of the Sacred Realm's nature of being located in another dimension or that he never had an Unbreakable Spirit to begin with. I think it is the latter of not possessing it.
Last Edited by Thanatos-Zero; 08-17-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Floating in the background
Send a message via Skype™ to hoodedone
View Posts: 1,239

i don't think ALttP Link has anything to do with the spirit of a beast thing. It is stated in the game that you turn into something that represents your true nature, not something that resides in your spirit:
"Everyone who wanders into this land is changed to a shape that reflects his true nature." Ball in Dark World.

Sig by IceCreamLink! <>BA characters <> Writings
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Sage of Wisdom

So did Ganondorf get an unbreakable spirit sometime after he split the Triforce, or do you not need one if you gather the pieces? Obviously something is different if he is able to use the Triforce "properly" after he wins the battle.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 AM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP
View Posts: 3,570

Quote:
So did Ganondorf get an unbreakable spirit sometime after he split the Triforce, or do you not need one if you gather the pieces? Obviously something is different if he is able to use the Triforce "properly" after he wins the battle.
I guess so... I mean, technically, he did conquer "courage" (by defeating Link) and "wisdom" (by defeating Zelda); so he "legally" passed the test for obtaining the triforce, even if it wasn't the most ideal way to do so.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM

I am not sure, you have already at birth a unbreakable spirit or that you have to forge your soul into one through various trials, like the Silent Realm Trials.
However, everything what is not a god can make use of it.

I would like to know what the japanese version says, about the whole deal.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Glorious Leader
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,226

Quote:
I would think that if having a broken spirit was am unavoidable problem then Ganondorf wouldn't be trying to gather the triforce pieces.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 128

Wasn't this meant to explain why there are dungeons with difficult puzzles and monsters you have to beat in the game? I think it was pretty cool, to actually have a plot explanation for those. The question is, how does that transfer to the other games? Because in most of the games, you're not supposed to get the entire Triforce. Or maybe most of the dungeons in the games were built to prepare the hero (Link) to defeat any evil villain that might come (Ganon, Vaati, etc)?
Last Edited by Stormkalv; 06-10-2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Knight of Cyndonia

Quote:
wind waker
Last Edited by amladeus; 06-20-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Moon Cultist
View Posts: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos-Zero View Post
Unbreakable Spirit. The first time we hear this in in Skyward Sword.
It is stated that it is necessary to use the Triforce properly, along that such an individual must also grow spriritually in Power, Wisdom and Courage in order to be balanced so that the Triforce does not break into three fragments,

My question is of which persons we can say with certain, that they actually possessed such a spirit.
It also begs the question, if those with the Spirit of the Hero (all other Links) have all an unbreakable spirit as well.

We know that SS Link has one and it is implied that Hylia/SS Zelda possesses one as well as she wanted to use the Triforce herself.
AlttP Link, AoL Link, OoT Ganondorf and King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule were able to wish on it, but it is uncertain if they had an unbreakable spirit in the first place.

Interresting to note from gossip I have heard is, that the japanese version of Skyward Sword uses Spirit of a Beast instead of Unbreakable Spirit. It still needs to be comfirmed though.

If it is indeed true, then it would indicate that OoT Link (Hero's shade) and TP Link have those, as they appear as beasts in Twilight Princess.
AlttP Link appears as a bunny however in the Dark Realm.

Any further clues, dear colleagues?
Perhaps this is what Zelda is referring to in less specific terms in OoT when she says that Ganondorf was unable to wield the Triforce since he lacked a 'strong and righteous mind' (she may or may not have been correct).
Last Edited by Testament; 06-20-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amladeus View Post
wind waker
But it wasn't granted, because the King got to touch the Triforce first, after it was reassembled.
Ganondorf, got his wish in the Downfall Timeline.

(Also, mods dislike posts with very few words)

The real question is how his wish was affected. Would have an unbreakable spirit given the user absolute control over the world shaping, reality altering powers of the Triforce?
I think that someone with a balanced heart, but without the unbreakable spirit, will only gain that what they desire from the buttoms of their hearts, because the Triforce is so powerful that it overwhelms the minds of their users.
Regarding this, someone with an unbreakable spirit won't be overwhelmed and therefore can tell the Triforce what the master wants.

If Ganon had an unbreakable spirit, he wouldn't need to create his alterego Agahnim in order to break the seal of the sages.
But if he had an unbreakable spirit, what would have limited his use of the Triforce? The nature of the Sacred Realm or the fact that he has never gone through trials like SS Link did to prove himself worthy to Power, Wisdom and Courage through spiritual growth?
Last Edited by Thanatos-Zero; 08-17-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Ganondorf wasn't granted a wish in WW.
1 person liked this post: tlozbj
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Knight of Cyndonia

wow i suck. don't know why i thought he did...