Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Double-0-Snake Double-0-Snake is a male United Kingdom Double-0-Snake is offline
Caesar!
View Posts: 3,834
Just a thought

Perhaps the bird on the hylian shield is an owl? I don't know if it has been officially stated what bird it is, but it occured to me that maybe it's an owl. I mean, Owls do appear and guide in several Zelda games (MM, OOT, LA are the only ones I know.) Just a thought, please comment.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Douchebag Supreme
View Posts: 1,089
Re: Just a thought

It's possible but I think the current explanation for it is that it's a loftwing.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 PM
The Baton of the Wind The Baton of the Wind is a male United States The Baton of the Wind is online now
Master Shortpants
View Posts: 3,400

Hyrule Historia implies its a loftwing.

Quote:
Hyrule Historia - Page 77:

王家の紋章
The Royal Family's Emblem

女神ハイリアが鳥のような紋章を持っていたことと、かつてスカイロフトで大きな鳥を操ったこと から、トライ フォースと鳥があわさった形が王家の紋章となった。
The goddess Hylia had an emblem of a bird because she once handled a large bird in Skyloft, the bird together with the Triforce became the emblem of the royal family.
(Wow. Page 77 is turning out to be quite a goldmine for confirmations)

Translations:

SS --- TWW

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
SCIENTIST Jwal SCIENTIST Jwal is a female United States SCIENTIST Jwal is offline
Ask me about my mushrooms!
Send a message via Skype™ to SCIENTIST Jwal

View Posts: 4,890

Yep. Depending on which shield you have, it is usually implied to be a the crimson loftwing. However, I believe that the Hero's Shield in Majora's Mask has an owl on it considering the owl statues and all there in Termina.

[My Zelda Wiki Page]
Jwal's Shop:FB|dA|Etsy
FC: 1332-7760-5087
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Double-0-Snake Double-0-Snake is a male United Kingdom Double-0-Snake is offline
Caesar!
View Posts: 3,834

Oh, damn.
I never have any of the books like that that confirm or deny theories.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Al "Stinkfoot" Bundy Wins
View Posts: 3,443

I do find it kinda weird that there is a Hylian Crest w/bird at the desert Temple of Time in SS. Were there Loftwings on the surface, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganon Vader View Post
It's good that Ganon got revived for LOZ because when he invaded Hyrule, he destroyed all of its linearity.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Temple of Time Guardian Temple of Time Guardian is a male Canada Temple of Time Guardian is offline
Guardian of Time
View Posts: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMcBean View Post
I do find it kinda weird that there is a Hylian Crest w/bird at the desert Temple of Time in SS. Were there Loftwings on the surface, too?
The emblem is based on Hylia's (and modified for the people) emblem.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Time Guardian View Post
The emblem is based on Hylia's (and modified for the people) emblem.
I thought it was the same emblem as the Hyrule Royal Crest?

Here's the Royal Crest:

I couldn't get a good picture, but here's the emblem at the desert Temple of Time in Skyward Sword:

They're the same emblem, right? The Temple of Time predates the Royal Family, so, what I was actually trying to ask was if they really got the bird from the Loftwings, or did they just steal the entire emblem from the one in Lanayru Desert and claim it as their own?

Quote:
It's good that Ganon got revived for LOZ because when he invaded Hyrule, he destroyed all of its linearity.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 PM
ELpaca

View Posts: 17,372

^ ...I didn't even actually ever think of that. Can't believe I've missed it all this time.

Someone other than the Skyloft population have already designed it, and in a place pretty sacred to them by the looks it. It's quite interesting...

Ich Will: "As a kid I remember grabbing cats by their tails and spinning them around like you do with Bowser in Mario 64. Then I'd throw them away. Dunno if I got that from the game though lol."
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,792

Could that Temple of Time also have once been a temple of Hylia? The bird is supposed to be her emblem, isn't it?

Perhaps that's where her Temple + the Triforce were before the war happened, then she relocated the Triforce to Skyloft, sent it skyward, imprisoned Demise where the Goddess Statue section of Skyloft used to be and had the Temple of Hylia built right next to it to enable the foretold hero to have an easier time of battling The Imprisoned?

Although I suppose that is contradictory to the "Hylia's symbol was a bird BECAUSE she handled on in Skyloft" thing...The only thing I can think of in that case is that the Historia more means "the place that became Skyloft", and perhaps the Loftwing ancestors lived in a section of the world that Hylia favoured, before sending it to the sky. In which case she liked the birds, adopted it as her emblem, then the stuff I mentioned happened. But that's perhaps too fan-fiction-y, I'm no theorist.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Hylian Shield that was given by Lanayru, it also has the exact same crest. That's more proof that the symbol was around long before Skyloft. That shield was said to have been legendary, furthermore, Lanayru would have had it during the time before the Lanayru area became a desert. So, I think the Royal Family adopted a pre-existing emblem.

Quote:
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Temple of Time Guardian Temple of Time Guardian is a male Canada Temple of Time Guardian is offline
Guardian of Time
View Posts: 114

Actually, Hylia's emblem was just the wings with nothing else.

Here's the best theory I've got:
In the pre-Skyloft days, Loftwings use to live on the surface. (They would have had to land somewhere before, they can't fly forever.) These birds played a role in the society of Hylia's people, and at some point they modified their goddess' crest so that it resembled this bird. Before the rise of the Demon King Demise, this symbol was spread to many of the places with Hylia's influence. When the Humans and Loftwings were sent to the skies, the symbol remained even though the people did not.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Note: there was Hylia's crest, People's crest (ToT minus Triforce), and Royal Family's crest. All were different.
------------------------------------------ - TWW - PH - ST
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Time Guardian View Post

Here's the best theory I've got:
In the pre-Skyloft days, Loftwings use to live on the surface.
This has to be the answer in order for the Royal Crest to have the origin that HH claims. As I've already pointed out the Royal Crest already existed on the surface prior to the creation of Skyloft; we can see this on the Hylian Shield and the desert Temple of Time. If the bird on the Royal Crest was really inspired by Loftwings, then there must have been some on the surface, since we already have examples of Pre-Hyrule Royal Crest emblems.

Quote:
Last Edited by ASBW; 04-08-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Súndav Istalrí Súndav Istalrí is a male United States Súndav Istalrí is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Súndav Istalrí

View Posts: 907

what we have to also remember is that Hylia has been around for a long time, the Goddesses entrusted the Triforce to her (so around when they made it) so Hylia's crest could have very well been around since the beginning of time. and then could be converted to the other crests

Quote:
On 1/8/14, at 9:32 PM, Double A wrote:
> we were just discussing how we'd like to rub syrup all over your sculpted torso
Quote:
On 1/13/14, at 2:44 AM, Double A wrote:
> [refering to a pic of me] omigod sundav my panties can't take it
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Holder of the Triforce of Randomness!
View Posts: 543

Not only do I believe the loft wing is on the Hyrulian Shield, And there Emblem, I believe the Roc-King is a decedent/mutant of them. No owls about it.

But, I believe that the owl does have some kind of special, or sacred significant importance. The guides, the sage incarnated, etc. Maybe, some....Device left behind by Hylia, for her hero?

Oktaku/Blackbelt/Hacker/Student/Gamer/Human. Nuff said.

So....want some boredom? You can change lives with me and experience one life of boredom for free!

Unashamed Christian....ok?
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Hylia and Zelda in name only, for she is neither...
Send a message via Skype™ to Her Grace
View Posts: 470

I really don't have much to say because i already threw together an image of my stance on this topic. Here we have the symbol of Hylia and the symbol of the Loftwing.

Facebook: Bookface
Twitter:Tweetland

If you add me to your list of 3DS friends please leave me a visitor or personal message with your own Friend Code so that I can add quickly you as well. Thanks!
Last Edited by Her Grace; 04-14-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote