Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
View Posts: 5,641
Re: Within the Sacred Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmyV View Post
The moon first appears in OoT. And yes it seems Alice and possibly The Wizard of Oz were influences in MM, but that does not make Termina a dream world. Every official statement from the MM instruction manual to HH states Termina is an alternate reality from Hyrule. It might make much more sense that the whole game was some crazy fever dream or a halucination after Link had his long fall at the beginning of the game, but we have official statements to the contrary. If you choose to ignore that, it's perfectly fine and doesn't affect my enjoyment of the games. But you would still be wrong.
Alternate Reality? Dreams are alternate realities that we enter in our sleep.

It depends how you interpret the so-called 'official statements'. If I released a statement that said "aliens existed", some people might translate that as extraterrestrial life forms, whilst other may think of foreigners entering a new country and not fitting into society. It depends on interpretation.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningan the Lone Ninja View Post
You never say somebody's theory is wrong. If there's suitable evidence and they've explained their point, it could be right. Don't dismiss a theory because you think it's wrong: give evidence to say why you think that. Here's an example:
No evidence against is not evidence for. The is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that supports the OP's hypothesis.

Quote:
Of course it's a theory. It has evidence, explanation and a conclusion. Pianoasis has said that he believes Majora's Mask was set in Link's mind. Many other people believe this, including me. He has also suggested that it takes place during Link's time in the Sacred Realm. You may disagree with this, but at least say why.
You have no evidence to support your stance on it being a dream world. You just hypothesize that it MIGHT be a dream world.

I lost some socks in the dryer the other day. My theory is that gremlins stole them. It makes sense because my socks are gone and gremlins like to steal socks.

That's about how sound the hypothesis is.

No. It is NOT a theory. By definition a theory must have a substantial amount of evidence backing it and be able to stand up to peer scrutiny.

Quote:
Pianoasis has given evidence that both the Happy Mask Salesman and Skull Kid are the only characters to know of Hyrule, and that everybody else seems to be a clone of somebody from Hyrule. Surely this is because Link has met them before, and his mind has interpreted them into an alternate reality?
No. Not surely. There is no evidence supporting that that is the case. You are just making an assumption based on one other similar occurrence that DID happen to be a dream. An occurrence that had only ONE character the RESEMBLED a character from the past. A terrible logical fallacy.

I saw lightning strike a tree, setting it on fire. Now I see a campfire. Surely it was started by lightning. I can't assume all fires are started by lightning. Likewise I can't assume that all areas seemingly populated by duplicates of people I know are dreams. Even if it were a dream, there is proof in the intro that shows it can't be during the 7 year nap at the very least.
Last Edited by silver arrow; 03-03-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow View Post
No. It is NOT a theory. By definition a theory must have a substantial amount of evidence backing it and be able to stand up to peer scrutiny.
We're kinda off topic here. I already accepted I was wrong. I said that thing in the beginning because I didn't like to have my idea shot down almost immediately. But I know I'm partially wrong so let's get back on track.

As Ningan brought up, I still believe Majora's Mask is in Link's mind.
Hyrule Historia says Link stumbled upon an alternate reality somehow. Apparently so did Happy Mask Salesman and Skull Kid? I don't think so, it's just too much for Termina to be an existing place rather than a place in Link's mind. I believe Link did travel through the forest in search of a friend, but I don't believe he really ran into Skull Kid in the forest.

And, by the way. Who ever said he was in search of Navi? It only said he was in search of a friend. Link didn't have many friends but you could consider Skull Kid to be a friend and Link could be looking for him.
Last Edited by Pianoasis; 03-03-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Ganon's Bane

Quote:
As Ningan brought up, I still believe Majora's Mask is in Link's mind.
Hyrule Historia says Link stumbled upon an alternate reality somehow. Apparently so did Happy Mask Salesman and Skull Kid? I don't think so, it's just too much for Termina to be an existing place rather than a place in Link's mind. I believe Link did travel through the forest in search of a friend, but I don't believe he really ran into Skull Kid in the forest.
It's an interesting Idea that's as old as the game itself. Most say that Link was knocked unconscious in the Lost Woods when he fell off of Epona and that the rest is a dream. There's nothing wrong with believing this. It's not impossible and it is interesting. It's not really a theory though.

I don't think that the HMS and Skullkid both being in Termina is at all farfetched. Skull Kid is the one who went to Termina. Link just followed him. The HMS followed him as well because he was going after Majora's Mask that Skull Kid stole from him. It's not as if all three of them happened to stumble there separately.

Quote:
And, by the way. Who ever said he was in search of Navi? It only said he was in search of a friend. Link didn't have many friends but you could consider Skull Kid to be a friend and Link could be looking for him.
It's been confirmed to be Navi on multiple occasions. I think HH says it was Navi too. Glitterberri's site appears to be down at the moment so I can't confirm that though. The official NP player's guide says it's Navi too. In game evidence is that Navi's chime sound is heard right after the text saying that Link is looking for his friend appears.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Anouki

Quote:
It's an interesting Idea that's as old as the game itself. Most say that Link was knocked unconscious in the Lost Woods when he fell off of Epona and that the rest is a dream. There's nothing wrong with believing this. It's not impossible and it is interesting. It's not really a theory though.

I don't think that the HMS and Skullkid both being in Termina is at all farfetched. Skull Kid is the one who went to Termina. Link just followed him. The HMS followed him as well because he was going after Majora's Mask that Skull Kid stole from him. It's not as if all three of them happened to stumble there separately.

It's been confirmed to be Navi on multiple occasions. I think HH says it was Navi too. Glitterberri's site appears to be down at the moment so I can't confirm that though. The official NP player's guide says it's Navi too. In game evidence is that Navi's chime sound is heard right after the text saying that Link is looking for his friend appears.
Well okay if all of this is true, who says Termina is an alternate dimension anyways? All of these things could've actually happened and just be a different place in the world.
Last Edited by Pianoasis; 03-03-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoasis View Post
Well okay if all of this is true, who says Termina is an alternate dimension anyways? All of these things could've actually happened and just be a different place in the world.
The developers on several occasions have stated Termina was indeed an alternate world/reality/dimension separate from Hyrule, most ecently in HH. But I guess this will continue to be ignored, so I dunno why I'm even typing this.

'Crackle's Cousin sounds like the name of my next band.' -GrimmyV
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Mad Vodka Drinking Yahoo
View Posts: 2,458

And if HH isn't enough there are still the Twinrova copies in the swamp, among others.

But of course that won't stop some people thinking otherwise.

Oh, is that a gal I see? No, it's just a fal'Cie!
Last Edited by Fal'Cie; 03-04-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,246

Quote:
There is also the strange scene where Link falls in the Lost Woods, and many different, psychotic shapes appear around him
It's theorized to be the portal that Link fell into when he entered Termina.

Seems like all this debating is just splitting hairs now, especially with everything the HH has stated about MM and Termina
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 128

It's pretty obvious that that's the portal, isn't it? The hole he falls into. And the twisting corridor is probably the point in which he returns to after each time reversal.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Jedi Master Sagan Jedi Master Sagan is a male United States Jedi Master Sagan is offline
made of star stuff
Send a message via AIM to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Skype™ to Jedi Master Sagan
View Posts: 2,843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Tech View Post
And if HH isn't enough there are still the Twinrova copies in the swamp, among others.

But of course that won't stop the mongoloids thinking otherwise.
Mongoloids? Really? WTF, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamtos View Post
I'd call you our resident science fairy but you have more of a tendency to bulldoze over theories and "science bulldozer" just doesn't have that nickname sparkle.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Ganon's Bane

Quote:
What does being mongoloid have to do with anything?
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM
erudesu
View Posts: 17,655

Quote:

^ If I see anymore offensive insults like that or being condescending to anyone, you will receive a warning or an infraction.

Don't toss words like that around. It can offend some people.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Anouki

Okay so we're practically back at square one. Majora's Mask is a complete mystery to everyone.
1 person liked this post: Ningan the Lone Ninja
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,390

Quote:
Okay so we're practically back at square one. Majora's Mask is a complete mystery to everyone.
What? MM's place is well known and the reasons for it being in that place are also well known. There's no mystery about it.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah

Quote:
No evidence against is not evidence for. The is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that supports the OP's hypothesis.

You have no evidence to support your stance on it being a dream world. You just hypothesize that it MIGHT be a dream world.

But...I have the intro...and the clone people...and the existence of the moon in later games...surely this is evidence I can put forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmyV View Post
The developers on several occasions have stated Termina was indeed an alternate world/reality/dimension separate from Hyrule, most ecently in HH. But I guess this will continue to be ignored, so I dunno why I'm even typing this.
We can't even read Hyrule Historia, as stated above, it's in ❤❤❤❤ing Japanese. Unless somebody can show me a source, I will probably ignore any evidence from Hyrule Historia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya View Post
What? MM's place is well known and the reasons for it being in that place are also well known. There's no mystery about it.
So tell me...what the hell is 'MM's place'?
Last Edited by Ningan the Lone Ninja; 03-04-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Ganon's Bane

Quote:
But...I have the intro...and the clone people...and the existence of the moon in later games...surely this is evidence I can put forward?
How does the intro support MM being a dream? The psychedelic colors in the area where Link falls does not automatically make it a dream. He is clearly passing through something weird. All we know is that after passing through it he's in a completely foreign land with lookalikes of people he knows. The presence of Skull Kid before Link passes through the portal supports that it is not a dream.

Termina is a parallel world, so there are parallel versions of the people. It's a common theme in parallel worlds in fiction.

The Terminian moon is a different moon. It's a different world. It has nothing to do with Hyrule's moon.

Quote:
We can't even read Hyrule Historia, as stated above, it's in ❤❤❤❤ing Japanese. Unless somebody can show me a source, I will probably ignore any evidence from Hyrule Historia.
http://www.glitterberri.com/hyrule-historia/

Quote:
After Link gets sent back in time at the end of OOT he goes to see Zelda to warn her about Ganon. Ganon is arrested. She gives him the OOT and he leaves to the Lost Woods to go find Navi after getting Epona from Lon Lon Ranch at some point. While exploring the woods he is attacked by Skull Kid who has recently stolen Majora's Mask from the Happy Mask Salesman. Skull Kid abducts Epona and runs off and Link chases him. Link chases him through an odd portal and upon finally catching up to Skull Kid, he turns Link into a Deku Scrub. Link loses Skull Kid and continues upon the path until he finally comes out at the base of the Clock Tower where he runs into the Happy Mask Salesman. The HMS tells Link about how it is imperative that he help him get Majora's Mask back from Skull Kid as it is super dangerous. Link exits the Clock Tower and discovers that the residents of this town look just like people he knew from Hyrule.

In short. It's after the Child end of OOT. Simple.
Last Edited by silver arrow; 03-04-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Ningan the Lone Ninja
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Sheikah

Quote:
How does the intro support MM being a dream? The psychedelic colors in the area where Link falls does not automatically make it a dream. He is clearly passing through something weird. All we know is that after passing through it he's in a completely foreign land with lookalikes of people he knows. The presence of Skull Kid before Link passes through the portal supports that it is not a dream.

Termina is a parallel world, so there are parallel versions of the people. It's a common theme in parallel worlds in fiction.

The Terminian moon is a different moon. It's a different world. It has nothing to do with Hyrule's moon.

After Link gets sent back in time at the end of OOT he goes to see Zelda to warn her about Ganon. Ganon is arrested. She gives him the OOT and he leaves to the Lost Woods to go find Navi after getting Epona from Lon Lon Ranch at some point. While exploring the woods he is attacked by Skull Kid who has recently stolen Majora's Mask from the Happy Mask Salesman. Skull Kid abducts Epona and runs off and Link chases him. Link chases him through an odd portal and upon finally catching up to Skull Kid, he turns Link into a Deku Scrub. Link loses Skull Kid and continues upon the path until he finally comes out at the base of the Clock Tower where he runs into the Happy Mask Salesman. The HMS tells Link about how it is imperative that he help him get Majora's Mask back from Skull Kid as it is super dangerous. Link exits the Clock Tower and discovers that the residents of this town look just like people he knew from Hyrule.

In short. It's after the Child end of OOT. Simple.
We could argue this all year, and I would still say it was a dream. (thought not necessarily in the Sacred Realm.) So let's end our argument here.

Quote:
Thank you very much, I shall look forward to reading that.
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 AM
O hero chosen by the Goddess... I am Teekay, the Coffee Dragon.
Send a message via Skype™ to Teekay
View Posts: 762

Quote:
... It's not a mystery to me

Link gets sent back to his past, he spends time with Zelda, misses Navi, goes searching for her, chases the Skullkid into Termina, gets involved in the end-of-the-world plot, and saves Termina.

Simples.
Quote:
It's a parallel world just like the manual, Zelda.com, and Hyrule Historia all say.

Think you know everything there is to know about Princess Zelda?
Think again.
Last Edited by Teekay; 03-04-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
An Hero of Time An Hero of Time is a female United States An Hero of Time is offline
Sage of The Whatever
View Posts: 2,855

It's parallel world.

The manual has stated this, the official site has stated this and Hyrule Historia has stated this.

I love the dream theory too - it's always been one of my favorite Zelda theories, but.... it just isn't true.

Also, just reminding everyone to calm down a bit in this thread. I've read the entire thread and I saw that that the discussion got a little heated at times, so remember not to offend anyone.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
OcarinaofKeith OcarinaofKeith is a male United States OcarinaofKeith is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 371

I actualy dont dislike this theory i think its pretty good...yes link was in suspended animation but that doesnt mean he wasnt subconciously tested...he was too young to be the HoT so he had to prove he could be...i like it.. im not sayin its correct but im not sayin your wrong...this is a theory afterall...cause why would link fall into some alternate world ya know? its strange haha..zelda is weird anyway