Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1381 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,026
Re: Hyrule Historia will confirm the full timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero of Time View Post
As would I, but you have to admit that it was pretty low of him to throw the classic Zeldas, (all of which he hates btw,) under a "what if" scenario section.
I can't admit that, actually. One of my favorite books, Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet" has a "what-if" sequel that was actually quite good in my opinion, if not better than the first book. Also, one of the best things I personally think DC did with Superman was doing that "what if Batman had Superman's powers" story.
3 people liked this post: Darthganondorf, KJ Contrarian, Thanatos-Zero
  #1382 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
リバゾラ : I'm just gonna go away and do... fish stuff.
View Posts: 3,427

I have no problem with 'what ifs' in any canon. The comic books are almost entirely formed of these, and recently Dead Rising gave us another good what if. Some games actually have alternate endings to serve this purpose, and I believe someone already brought up Fire Emblem 5.

Zelda, however, we have been told for ages have all been part of one timeline that works, plus we've had hints towards so much. It can work with a single split- nothing's stopping it. The fact FSA was put there shows that better than anything- it basically dangles a CT heavy timeline in our face before jerking it away.

What ifs have their place, and I'd have no problem if future Zeldas were what ifs. But taking the basis for the whole series, the real Zelda story, and throwing them into a what if unannounced, unexpected and unnecessarily is just a blow to the (western) fanbase in all honesty.

Webcomic: 72 Hours Remain//First Place Z.U. Awards Best Zelda Fanfiction Summer '09//First Place Hombre's Theorising Contest 2010
Second Place Lupus: Design a Boss 2009/10//Bomber's Articles: The Secret Identity of Dark Link//Race to the Timeline
  #1383 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 11

Translated 2ch Thread Confirms Korean Timeline

Click here for some translations from that 2chan thread people were mentioning, it confirms the leaked Korean timeline and offers more explanation.
3 people liked this post: Jarsh, leasha, ZeldaTheoristb211
  #1384 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Captain Ricequake Captain Ricequake is a male Antarctica Captain Ricequake is offline
"In the battle between wisdom and feeling, wisdom never wins." -Merlin
View Posts: 844

Okay, so so far I haven't found very much useful, but I've got another 75% to go. Here's what I have found, although I'm too lazy to translate it at the moment. (plus I need to eat supper/dinner)

Quote:
時オカ敗北ルートの解説
Explanation of the OoT Downfall Timeline

時オカのリンク亡きあ と、
ガノンはトライフォースをすべて手中に収める。
七賢者たちは最後の手段としてガノンをトライフォースごと封印するが、
トライフォースに目を付けた悪党どもが聖地に向かい、
やがて聖地は闇の世界となり悪しき力があふれてくるようになる。
そこで七賢者たちは聖地自体を封印しようとするが、
それをさせじとする魔物との戦いになる。
これが神トラでいう封印戦争。
Looks pretty groundbreaking... maybe.

EDIT:

Um... didn't we already know that? Not to mention that I'm the translator...
"Maana Mungu aliupenda ulimwengu hivi hata akamtoa Mwana wake wa pekee, ili kila amwaminiye asipotee, bali awe na uzima wa milele." ~Yohana 3:16
Last Edited by Captain Ricequake; 12-22-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason:
  #1385 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
View Posts: 319

I wonder if any fans are butthurt enough to throw away all their games and never play again?

Pretty sure the people who even care are .00000000000000000000000001% of the fan base >.>
  #1386 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 111

I am probably the only one one but I would rather them to do the third timeline and put all the classics where they did than have FSA lead into the LttP. It has never made sense to me why people do that. Other than the games looking similar, there being knights, and Ganon have a trident it literally has nothing to do with the backstory of LttP. (and removed text and intent are not canon) I was really hoping for FSA->LoZ/AoL though.
1 person liked this post: Nagumo
  #1387 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Zora View Post
I have no problem with 'what ifs' in any canon. The comic books are almost entirely formed of these, and recently Dead Rising gave us another good what if. Some games actually have alternate endings to serve this purpose, and I believe someone already brought up Fire Emblem 5.

Zelda, however, we have been told for ages have all been part of one timeline that works, plus we've had hints towards so much. It can work with a single split- nothing's stopping it. The fact FSA was put there shows that better than anything- it basically dangles a CT heavy timeline in our face before jerking it away.

What ifs have their place, and I'd have no problem if future Zeldas were what ifs. But taking the basis for the whole series, the real Zelda story, and throwing them into a what if unannounced, unexpected and unnecessarily is just a blow to the (western) fanbase in all honesty.
What ifs are pretty fun. But surely they can think of a better segue than "what if Link is killed?"

Quote:
Pretty sure the people who even care are .00000000000000000000000001% of the fan base >.>
About don't even believe in the timeline at all.
  #1388 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Deku Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ricecake View Post
Okay, so so far I haven't found very much useful, but I've got another 75% to go. Here's what I have found, although I'm too lazy to translate it at the moment. (plus I need to eat supper/dinner)

Looks pretty groundbreaking... maybe.

EDIT:

Um... didn't we already know that?
No need to be condescending. Did you? I didn't know.

I included a translation what you just pasted, though, so maybe you should take a look...

"After Link dies in Ocarina of Time, Ganon obtains the entire Triforce. The Seven Sages seal away Ganon and the whole Triforce as a last resort, but villains with their eyes on the Triforce make for the Sacred Realm, which eventually turns into the Dark World and is filled with evil power. The Seven Sages then try to seal away the Sacred Realm itself, but end up fighting with monsters. This is the Imprisoning War of A Link to the Past."
Last Edited by GlitterBerri; 12-22-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason:
2 people liked this post: Jarsh, ZeldaTheoristb211
  #1389 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beno View Post
I am probably the only one one but I would rather them to do the third timeline and put all the classics where they did than have FSA lead into the LttP. It has never made sense to me why people do that. Other than the games looking similar, there being knights, and Ganon have a trident it literally has nothing to do with the backstory of LttP. (and removed text and intent are not canon) I was really hoping for FSA->LoZ/AoL though.
I prefer them having their own line, I always have. But a 'destined' line is a much better way of doing it without resorting to what ifs. In a series almost centred around retarded time travel there is surely SOME way to give them their own line without a what if.

Webcomic: 72 Hours Remain//First Place Z.U. Awards Best Zelda Fanfiction Summer '09//First Place Hombre's Theorising Contest 2010
Second Place Lupus: Design a Boss 2009/10//Bomber's Articles: The Secret Identity of Dark Link//Race to the Timeline
1 person liked this post: Norebo
  #1390 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
View Posts: 319

3 Goddesses 3 triforce pieces 3 timelines, synergy what?

Maybe something bigger is going on here?
2 people liked this post: An Hero of Time, Keaton Foxworthy
  #1391 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymeric View Post

Each Goddess in-charge of one timeline!

Y'know maybe they did have this planned from the beginning.
  #1392 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Captain Ricequake Captain Ricequake is a male Antarctica Captain Ricequake is offline
"In the battle between wisdom and feeling, wisdom never wins." -Merlin
View Posts: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterBerri View Post

I included a translation what you just pasted, though, so maybe you should take a look...

"After Link dies in Ocarina of Time, Ganon obtains the entire Triforce. The Seven Sages seal away Ganon and the whole Triforce as a last resort, but villains with their eyes on the Triforce make for the Sacred Realm, which eventually turns into the Dark World and is filled with evil power. The Seven Sages then try to seal away the Sacred Realm itself, but end up fighting with monsters. This is the Imprisoning War of A Link to the Past."
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as condescending. And thanks for the link, I didn't realize at first that the explanation was already translated.
"Maana Mungu aliupenda ulimwengu hivi hata akamtoa Mwana wake wa pekee, ili kila amwaminiye asipotee, bali awe na uzima wa milele." ~Yohana 3:16
  #1393 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Deku Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymeric View Post

Well, OoT's timeline (Branch 2) is obviously not the Timeline of Courage. Perhaps that's the Timeline of Power, since Ganon won...

The Timeline of Wisdom (Branch 1) is MM and TP, since Zelda, in her wisdom, decided to send Link away so Ganon wouldn't get his hands on the Triforce.

The Timeline of Courage (Branch 3)... well, I can't think of anything to justify this one. Any help here?

→ MMTP → 4 Swords Plus
                 ↑
SS → Minish Cap → 4 Swords → OoTALttPOoS/OoALALoZAoL
                 ↓ 
                 → TWW → Phantom Hourglass → Spirit Tracks
  #1394 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
The Timeline of Wisdom (Branch 1) is MM and TP, since Zelda, in her wisdom, decided to send Link away so Ganon wouldn't get his hands on the Triforce.
Zelda sent Link away to find Navi?
  #1395 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome to my Kingdom!
View Posts: 1,355

Quote:
The Timeline of Courage (Branch 3)... well, I can't think of anything to justify this one. Any help here?
That's easy, the Hero of Time won so by default it becomes the timeline of Courage.
Last Edited by Zero III; 12-22-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Keaton Foxworthy
  #1396 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Weaver of Zarathustra
Send a message via AIM to Mr Wilhelm
View Posts: 380

Quote:
Well, OoT's timeline (Branch 2) is obviously not the Timeline of Courage. Perhaps that's the Timeline of Power, since Ganon won...

→ MMTP → 4 Swords Plus
                 ↑
SS → Minish Cap → 4 Swords → OoTALttPOoS/OoALALoZAoL
                 ↓ 
                 → TWW → Phantom Hourglass → Spirit Tracks
It could be the Timeline of Courage, as the new Link and Zelda were brave enough to abandon Old Hyrule and build a brand new one.
  #1397 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Actually on Legends Alliance a couple of people have been arguing this: here's what they've said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FŽanen' timestamp='1324587796' post='593668
I'm tempted to call the "classic" timeline where the Imprisoning War happens the Timeline of Power, the one where Zelda reveals him and he's executed the Timeline of Wisdom, and the one where Link aids in sealing him and the world is flooded the Timeline of Courage, just based on who "wins" in the immediate aftermath of OoT. Total silliness, but what the hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Turtlelot' timestamp='1324588086' post='593670
That's... actually not a bad idea. Though I think it would be better to think of it like this. The Timeline of Power is the one where Ganon succeeds in beating Link, the Classic Timeline. The Timeline of Wisdom should be where only Zelda is left to rebuild Hyrule, the Adult Timeline. The Timeline of Courage is the one that follows OoT Link into MM, the Child Timeline.

Last Edited by River Zora; 12-22-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason:
  #1398 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
The Hero of Time
View Posts: 1,860

Quote:

The explanation of how the IW occurs is good and it seems to sort of make sense, but I still can't believe that they would create a new split because of a "what if Link got killed by Ganon in the final battle?" Couldn't they make some kind of predestined post OoT event after Ganon is sealed in the original AT? Anything but "what if?"

Played some, but not beat yet/Simply Beat/100% complete at least one quest/Not played at all
(not counting 2nd quests in any category)

LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LADX, OoT, MM, OoS, OoA, TWW, FSA, TMC, TP, PH, ST,
OoT3D, FS:AE, SS
, ALBW
2 people liked this post: Keaton Foxworthy, keyaki
  #1399 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who? View Post
The explanation of how the IW occurs is good and it seems to sort of make sense, but I still can't believe that they would create a new split because of a "what if Link got killed by Ganon in the final battle?" Couldn't they make some kind of predestined post OoT event after Ganon is sealed in the original AT? Anything but "what if?"
Like that better.
  #1400 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
The Baton of the Wind The Baton of the Wind is a male United States The Baton of the Wind is offline
Master Shortpants
View Posts: 3,820

Quote:
時オカのリンク亡きあ と、
ガノンはトライフォースをすべて手中に収める。
七賢者たちは最後の手段としてガノンをトライフォースごと封印するが、
トライフォースに目を付けた悪党どもが聖地に向かい、
やがて聖地は闇の世界となり悪しき力があふれてくるようになる。
そこで七賢者たちは聖地自体を封印しようとするが、
それをさせじとする魔物との戦いになる。
これが神トラでいう封印戦争。
Here's my attempt:
Quote:
At OoT, Link is dead when after Ganon is fitted to the whole triforce. The 7 Sages were a last resort to seal Ganon and the triforce in the holy land (sacred realm), with each villain with eyes to the triforce the Holy Land soon come to be a world of darkness and evil will. The 7 Sages tried to seal the sacred realm and fight with the monsters there. This seal means war with the Triforce of the Gods.
?

Hmm...

I'll wait for Beno to translate this better..

EDIT: Damn, someone already beat me to it.

Translations:

SS --- TWW

Last Edited by The Baton of the Wind; 12-22-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason:
Closed Thread