Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 16
Biblical Zelda?

Now, of course I'm sure many have realized this before me, and I'm sure I'm just reiterating what someone else has already said.... BUT, I feel I should say something I noticed recently. After reading a comparison of Majora's Mask to the Tower Of Babel, I have begun to notice many similarities between Zelda and the Bible. A few examples, there was a great flood, caused by the gods, in an effort to kill the wicked, the god figure or goddesses in Zelda's case, is a three part being, in the bible it consists of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost, while in Zelda it consists of Din, Nayru and Farore. Zelda represents Eve and Link represents Adam, while Ganondorf represents Satan, especially in his beast form. Ganon tried to tempt Link and Zelda, with power, but unlike in the bible, both resisted this temptation. Both also hold a great significance in the number seven, in Ocarina of Time, there are seven sages, while in the Bible God created the Earth in 7 days, also the bible describes the Earth as having four corners and there being three parts of the divind, four plus three equals seven, representing the perfect union of heaven and earth, in the artwork of A Link To The Past, the Triforce is surrounded by a circle, representing the earth, this adds FOUR pieces to the THREE divine pieces, once again representing the union of earth and the divine. And if that weren't enough, how many circles are there in hell? NINE. How many dungeons are in the Original Legend of Zelda? NINE. Link was sent through the NINE circles of hell to rescue Zelda. Well that's what I could think of for now, tell me what you think of my little theory. I would also just like to add, that I am not Christian, these theories are just from reading the bible for sake of reading.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 PM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP, AStinkToThePast
View Posts: 3,637
Re: Biblical Zelda?

Christianity is considered mythology/symbolism to many of the people in Japan, and seeing that the developers draw heavily from mythology, christianity would be one of the many things that they draw from, since they consider it to be symbolic anyways.

In fact, there is artwork for A Link to the Past that depicts Link kneeling before a crucifix.

And there are articles about Christian references in Zelda on Zeldapedia and ZeldaWiki.

Symbols - Zelda Wiki.org

Christianity - Zeldapedia, the Legend of Zelda wiki - Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks, and more
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Theorist of two sides
View Posts: 8,038

^That artwork is for LoZ despite it being featured in an ALttP player's guide. The guide was talking about LoZ.

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
A.K.A. ASBW, ASttP, AStinkToThePast
View Posts: 3,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecove View Post
^That artwork is for LoZ despite it being featured in an ALttP player's guide. The guide was talking about LoZ.
So, is it official Nintendo artwork? or something that was made by a third party for a player's guide?
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Theorist of two sides
View Posts: 8,038

Official Nintendo player's guide.

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Being a lunatic isn't enough
View Posts: 1,929

It's weird that Link would be in front of a crucifix, particularly when there's no Christianity in Hyrule. I always thought that the religion in Hyrule was based more off Shinto or other Eastern religions rather than Christianity. I remember reading an article which compared Zelda to Shinto (especially in ALttP).
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Fabulous
View Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Mara View Post
It's weird that Link would be in front of a crucifix, particularly when there's no Christianity in Hyrule. I always thought that the religion in Hyrule was based more off Shinto or other Eastern religions rather than Christianity. I remember reading an article which compared Zelda to Shinto (especially in ALttP).
The original Zelda game had some western influences. Link's shield has a massive cross on it and all the gravestones are also in the shape of crosses. The reason for this is because in Japan, when The Legend of Zelda was released Christianity was this strange foreign religion. In the same way an American film might throw in Buddhist elements for mystical feel, Christian influences were tossed into The Legend of Zelda to add a bit of strangeness.

It's not the only time they've done it either. Remember the infamous cut Muslim chanting and crescent symbol for the Gerudo in Ocarina of Time? I think the great fairies in Wind Waker could be Hindu influenced too but I'm not sure. Skyward Sword will probably have Hava Nagila as the fanfare music
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 21

Yeah, but the nine circles of hell were created by poet Dante Alighieri, and not an original part of christian mythology. However, i do agree with the rest of your post. It is, if not related, at least quite coincidental.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 1

Was looking to post in a past thread about this. Unfortunately it was locked. I recently played Ocarina of Time for the first time and was quite intrigued by the obvious biblical symbolism. I just wanted to post here a few things I didn't see anyone mention.

-The 7 year tribulation. That is the length of time that Link travels. He finds when he arrives 7 years later that Hyrule is in ruins and is under Ganon's rule.

-In Revelation, Satan is sealed away for 1000 years after his defeat, threatening man's descendants when he is let loose. In LOZ, Ganon is sealed away for 1000 years after his defeat, threatening Hyrule's descendants when he is let loose.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
erudesu
View Posts: 17,676

This thread was last active in 2010.

*locks*