Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Babysitter of Ghirahim (aka "Debbie The Bebbie")
View Posts: 461
Is Linebeck Hylian or Human?

I really love this character. I have noticed he has the same "elvish" ears as Link and other Hylians. I would rather imagine him as Hylian than human. What do YOU think? I don't know much about the Zelda universe but I do know a little (I have read a lot at Zeldapedia). If Linebeck is Hylian does it mean that he is from Hyrule? Where do you think he is from? If Linebeck is Hylian, do you think he, Link and Zelda/Tetra are the only Hylians existing in the time of Phantom Hourglass?
Please tell me cause I'm a bit confused....
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via Skype™ to Fitoleon
Steam ID: lolsteam :P
View Posts: 2,237
Re: Is Linebeck Hylian or Human?

From what I understand, to have pointed ears means you have some Hylian blood in you, though you might not be considered "Hylian."
In ALttP, the old lady in Kakariko Village says that long ago, the Hylians ruled Hyrule (or something to that effect) yet everyone looks Hylian due to their pointed ears. For some reason, they are not considered "Hylian" even though they have those characteristic pointed ears. Some theorists believe that in this time period, they Hylian blood was somehow diluted enough that no one (except Link) is full blood Hylian. As to what this means in the Wind Waker time period, I have no idea though.
Once again, though, I must say that this is my understanding of what that means. Hopefully, a better theorist than me (pretty much everybody) can explain this better.
Anyways, hope this helped!

P.S: Welcome to ZU!
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Theorist of two sides
View Posts: 8,038

^

Hylians are Humans. Not all Humans are Hylians however. Around TWW, not many Hylians are left.

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks a lot for welcoming me to this forum!!! I would love to play more Zelda games..... Phantom Hourglass is my first one and I love it. I don't know if the term "hylian" exists in Phantom Hourglass but I think it is weird that Linebeck might be just a normal "human" with his pointed ears......
Last Edited by Zantine; 11-03-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via Skype™ to Fitoleon
Steam ID: lolsteam :P
View Posts: 2,237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecove
Hylians are Humans. Not all Humans are Hylians however. Around TWW, not many Hylians are left.
Thank you for clarifying that Pinecove. Short, sweet, and to the point. I ought to remember this little bit of Zelda theorizing much better now.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I after E except after C... Weird?
Send a message via AIM to Luna
View Posts: 2,143

PH didn't occur in Hyrule or the Great Sea area. I imagine that it is more of a parallel universe, or distant land, like MM. So technically, he is not Hylian.

Amazing Sig made by Daz!
My friend code for SSBB is 5070-7364-2346
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
You call it freedom, but it's a perverse Anarchy
Send a message via Skype™ to Kneesocks

View Posts: 10,986

That really didn't occur to me, Linebeck being human or Hylian. But I thought he was human and not hylian. :/
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
PH didn't occur in Hyrule or the Great Sea area. I imagine that it is more of a parallel universe, or distant land, like MM. So technically, he is not Hylian.
I understand but is he a biological "hylian"?
Even though he does not consider himself a "hylian". Or the right question might be..... what species is he? If hylians are humans, is he just a normal human or a "hylian"? If he is not hylian, where has he got his ears from? And why does zeldapedia consider him hylian? http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Linebeck
I first thought he was human but when I found him at zeldapedia it was written "species:hylian". Then I thought "Oh, cool!".
I wanna know what he is....
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Theorist of two sides
View Posts: 8,038

Quote:
That's highly debatable and up to personal interpretation.

Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv
You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I after E except after C... Weird?
Send a message via AIM to Luna
View Posts: 2,143

Hrm... I see your point, but still, it makes me think that he in not technically hylian...

Amazing Sig made by Daz!
My friend code for SSBB is 5070-7364-2346
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 PM
リバゾラ : I'm just gonna go away and do... fish stuff.
View Posts: 3,427

May be part Hylian. It's implied there are no true blood Hylians left post-flood.

tWW Link is brown eyed for pete's sake.

Webcomic: 72 Hours Remain//First Place Z.U. Awards Best Zelda Fanfiction Summer '09//First Place Hombre's Theorising Contest 2010
Second Place Lupus: Design a Boss 2009/10//Bomber's Articles: The Secret Identity of Dark Link//Race to the Timeline
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Triforce of the Gods Triforce of the Gods is a male United States Triforce of the Gods is offline
OBJECTION!
Send a message via AIM to Triforce of the Gods Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce of the Gods
Steam ID: triforceofthegods Wii U ID: TriforceoftheGod 3DS ID: 2921-9263-7348

View Posts: 9,157

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Zora View Post
Wut

He has black eyes with a green tint on the top. Same for Zelda and Ganondorf, except the tint is blue and red for them respectively.

And what does eye color have to do with being Hylian?
Last Edited by Triforce of the Gods; 11-03-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
May be part Hylian. It's implied there are no true blood Hylians left post-flood.

What about Link? Tetra/Zelda? They are Hylians...... And some people say that Linebeck is from the same world as them (Great Sea) because he was thrown back to the Great Sea at the end of Phantom Hourglass. Where do you have it from that there are no true blood Hylians left? How can there be part Hylians left when there are no true Hylians left? And.... I have heard that there were many Hylians in the Great Sea, but I might be wrong there......
So what species do you think Linebeck is? Hylian, human or something else maybe?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
He has black eyes with a green tint on the top. Same for Zelda and Ganondorf, except the tint is blue and red for them respectively.
Check the PH box artwork- his eyes are brown. And it's implied that the purest Hylian blood is blue eyed- the royal family in particular having blonde/blue. And Link for that matter in chronologically early installments.
Quote:
What about Link? Tetra/Zelda? They are Hylians......
So far as I'm concerned any game post-flood, or post aLttP perhaps depending on timeline, has next to no pure Hylians. Including Link. He goes from blonde blue eyed to blonde and brown eyed to brown hair brown eyes the further along you go (in the majority of timelines) up until you get ol' pink hair.

That's the gene pool thinning for you. It's like saying a dark-skin dominant gene in a history of white people from a great great grandfather who was black affecting a child and him claiming 'black'. Sure, it's a personal choice, but genetically unsound. Much the same way with Hylian traits. They may have Hylian blood, but pure blooded they be-n't. Non Hylian blood being mixed in with Link's Hylian heritage.

Personally I'm all for it- makes it more interesting to have mixed-race (so to speak) characters in Zelda. Makes it more realistic. Heck, there're no 'pure-bloods' of any races alive today. And any attempt at creating them results in mass genocide.

Is this what you want? Naziism in Zelda? A Hitler ensuring any child with round ears is culled in favour of preserving the genes of the master race?...

Ok, I got carried away... perhaps in the fantasy themes of the game Zelda may remain pure Hylian due to royal in-breeding, but even that I doubt. By aLttP and LoZ the Hylians are an ancient race that's just spoken of- so even if Link is descended from them, he is not one. It's like meeting people today with neanderthal tendencies- they were bred out, but they still crop up. Doesn't mean they're neanderthals!

Webcomic: 72 Hours Remain//First Place Z.U. Awards Best Zelda Fanfiction Summer '09//First Place Hombre's Theorising Contest 2010
Second Place Lupus: Design a Boss 2009/10//Bomber's Articles: The Secret Identity of Dark Link//Race to the Timeline
Last Edited by River Zora; 11-04-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Check the PH box artwork- his eyes are brown. And it's implied that the purest Hylian blood is blue eyed- the royal family in particular having blonde/blue. And Link for that matter in chronologically early installments.

So far as I'm concerned any game post-flood, or post aLttP perhaps depending on timeline, has next to no pure Hylians. Including Link. He goes from blonde blue eyed to blonde and brown eyed to brown hair brown eyes the further along you go (in the majority of timelines) up until you get ol' pink hair.

That's the gene pool thinning for you. It's like saying a dark-skin dominant gene in a history of white people from a great great grandfather who was black affecting a child and him claiming 'black'. Sure, it's a personal choice, but genetically unsound. Much the same way with Hylian traits. They may have Hylian blood, but pure blooded they be-n't. Non Hylian blood being mixed in with Link's Hylian heritage.

Personally I'm all for it- makes it more interesting to have mixed-race (so to speak) characters in Zelda. Makes it more realistic. Heck, there're no 'pure-bloods' of any races alive today. And any attempt at creating them results in mass genocide.

Is this what you want? Naziism in Zelda? A Hitler ensuring any child with round ears is culled in favour of preserving the genes of the master race?...

Ok, I got carried away... perhaps in the fantasy themes of the game Zelda may remain pure Hylian due to royal in-breeding, but even that I doubt. By aLttP and LoZ the Hylians are an ancient race that's just spoken of- so even if Link is descended from them, he is not one. It's like meeting people today with neanderthal tendencies- they were bred out, but they still crop up. Doesn't mean they're neanderthals!
naziism in Zelda? no!!!
I'm mixed myself. I never thought about Hylians as being blonde and blue eyed. I thought Hylians came in all colours and sizes. I thought Hylians (as a humanoid species) were just as humans. Humans come in all colours and shapes. I never saw Hylians as a race. I thought they were just like dwarves and elves in LOTR. Different from humans and still humanoid in appearance. I just wondered what Linebeck was..... if he's mixed then it's fine. I must be allowed to ask. Is it worse than asking if Legolas is an elf, a dwarf or a human?
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Triforce of the Gods Triforce of the Gods is a male United States Triforce of the Gods is offline
OBJECTION!
Send a message via AIM to Triforce of the Gods Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce of the Gods

Quote:
Check the PH box artwork- his eyes are brown.
Check in game in TWW. His eyes are green in the way stated above. Nowadays, in game>artwork.

Just because Zelda and Link have blue eyes in OoT does not mean every Hylian has blue eyes.

Edit: just checked the case. They only changed the black part to brown. He still has the green tint.
Last Edited by Triforce of the Gods; 11-04-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Check in game in TWW. His eyes are green in the way stated above. Nowadays, in game>artwork.
Yes, but most recent game>not most recent game. And the top have the grey/green highlight as in tWW showing this as just highlight, while he has specifically brown irises in PH's media.

(he has those brown bits in every piece of art, whereas in shadow in tWW the highlights in both art and game disappear.)

Quote:
Just because Zelda and Link have blue eyes in OoT does not mean every Hylian has blue eyes.
True. I still maintain that this is the purest strain of the Hylia, but I guess this is interpretation. At any rate Link goes from blonde to brown and I doubt every generation of his family were picky enough about ears to check before boning away.

Last Edited by River Zora; 11-04-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
OBJECTION!

Way to ignore my edit: Just checked the case. They only changed the black part to brown. He still has the green tint.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Sorry, hadn't refreshed page! Ninja'd out of edit, not ignored

#20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Mr C is also fine
View Posts: 895

Hylians are a race (Though this has been said in many games ALTTP and OoT for instance) not just humans in fancy dress and when they refer to human without a capital its humanoid as its a term not a name, Human with a capital is a race. The Alttp retcon is probably due to the hylian blood running thin (which was stated) as they interbred with humans and died out though this situation is special only to Alttp so its safe to assume Linebeck is a Hylian as he displaus Hylian racial features.
Last Edited by Celvantis; 11-04-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
human, hylian, linebeck