Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
The Dapper Dragon
Send a message via Skype™ to Flue

View Posts: 6,388
The Dome, your vision

The dome... We all have different interpretions of it, but have you ever wondered what others see it? Here you can share your imagination of the dome, from start to end, and read about others visions.
I do hope you will put some time and effort in the description, and not just say that “The dome is a castle with magic and such”.
-----
The Dome (not finished images)

It was in the early times, not long after our own earth was made, that the powerful beings in a parallel universe created the dome. Over five hundred years it took, to build such a construction, and almost five thousand years to enhance it with the mechanics it required.

Gravity vectors, dimensional ports, mass teleportation, etc... Every power they possessed was included in the construction. It was a symbol of the power and abilities they possessed.

Then, it was civil war.
The race split into many factions, all claiming the right to the dome and its vast amount of power. It raged over thousand years, with each faction using stronger and stronger powers against each other, until a faction managed to unleash a power so mighty it destroyed the whole world. Nothing was left, except for the Dome and the surrounding city, which was protected with even stronger powers.

The Dome was left unused for a millennia, until a brave adventurer, a gifted human from another parallel world, stumbled upon a small dome in the forest. Curious, he entered the dome to examine, and to his amazedness, the forest seamlessly blended into a hill, with small paths leading down into a forest. Driven by his curiosity, he followed the paths, and upon exiting the forest, he found himself looking down on the Dome, and its city.

The adventurer passed the knowledge on to his fellow gifted humans, all from his world, and they sat out to learn the entire Dome’s secret. And the Dome, as it was created to teach, taught them. The adventurer and his three friends became the first students at the renewed training facility, and when they finally discovered how to use the Dimensional ports, they became the first Teachers.

Years passed, and the city was again filled with people, and as the second students passed their trials, some became TA’s, while others went home. And as years passed, teachers passed away, and skilled TA’s took their place, and the Dome was filled with life once more.

-----

The dome is split in three parts: The City, the Dome and the rooms inside the Dome.
The City is the public area of the Dome, and is mostly inhabited by the students, but there are also many nonstudents there, emerging from romances between students that instead of leaving each other when the time at the Dome was over, settled down in the City. If their children had powers, they would be accepted at the Dome, but if they did not show any trace of abilities, they would not be accepted, and thus had to become regular workers in the city.

The Dome is a huge construction with four obelisks in each corner. It is a symbol of the first four teachers and is not part of the ancient construction. The inside of the dome is empty, except for a fencing area in the middle which is used in tournaments. It is magically protected and nothing can enter or exit the area while in a fight.

The rooms are all in the shell of the dome. They are accessed by four corridors, one in each corner, and spans across the dome. Because of the ancient powers infused in the dome, the corridor’s floor is in fact the outer walls of the dome, while the roof is pointing towards the earth. On the right side of the corridor, the doors lead to group rooms with huge windows facing the fencing grounds. They are used as spectator rooms or as private rooms. On the other side are the more specific rooms such as the library, classrooms and even doors to other dimensions and other bizarre things.
The doors are also not linked to their specific rooms. A door at the start of the corridor might lead to a room at the top of the Dome, while a door in the middle of the corridor might lead to a room near the ground.
There are also doors that lead to enormous halls that are twice the size of the Dome’s actual size. It is yet to be discovered where those halls are located, though rumors say it is in another dimension.

The way to enter the dimension the Dome is located in is by a smaller Dome that can alter the time and space continuum. It is located on a hill not far away from the City.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
they're coming to take me away, haha!
View Posts: 6,027
Re: The Dome, your vision

Trying to pin down a back-story for the Dome is silly. It was designed to not be pinned down.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Have you ever died and thought to yourself: "Why am I still thinking?"
Send a message via AIM to Quark Send a message via Skype™ to Quark
Steam ID: koolgool

View Posts: 28,739

I agree with Silver. It's supposed to be this mysterious, unexplainable force. An omnipotent building with no history and no adamant location. It's like... in-between dimensions, luring only who it desires into its halls. I like your design, but... you can't pin a backstory on it. Its design doesn't remain the same like a normal structure, but it moves and transforms to fit whatever it needs to be at the moment. It's more of a living thing than it is a building.

-=========}xxxx[] Denizens of My Brain []xxxx{=========-
{Quark's Intermittent Art Vomitorium}
Last Edited by Quark; 09-24-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist
Steam ID: wolfennights

View Posts: 17,656

If each universe is a dinner plate, then the Dome is the table they rest on and the air that surrounds them.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Have you ever died and thought to yourself: "Why am I still thinking?"
Send a message via AIM to Quark Send a message via Skype™ to Quark
Steam ID: koolgool

View Posts: 28,739

Or... if each universe is a marble, then the Dome is the giant hand that reaches into the bag and grabs whichever marble it wants without having to look at it. After grabbing said marbles, this magical hand has the unexplainable ability to melt these marbles together, but then separating them into their original selves again after... um... it's done... establishing....

Ok, forget it, yours was better. xP

-=========}xxxx[] Denizens of My Brain []xxxx{=========-
{Quark's Intermittent Art Vomitorium}
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

The dome is the highlander
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,902

The dome is.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 AM
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!
Send a message via AIM to Safer
View Posts: 3,815

Ooh, old thread is ooold but I like the idea.

Kinda. The Dome is not to be defined. It was created by people, most likely the ancestors of the Domerii, and that's all we really know. It spans across dimensions, some of its rooms are self-contained within it, some of its rooms are gateways to other dimensions. It's a giant creative bubble, and shouldn't be pinned down. :\

“There are two types of statistics in the world: Lies, and damn lies.” ~Mark Twain
Simply kickass sig by uǝzoɹɟ.
UPA Chief. Have a puppy, too.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Lord of Din
Send a message via AIM to Tiroth Send a message via Skype™ to Tiroth
Steam ID: Tiroth 3DS ID: 3480-3281-7807

View Posts: 10,415

Old thread is old...and also completely misunderstood. Did any of you actually read the first paragraph? This isn't about defining it; this is about telling other people how you view it.

I will come back and edit in something more on-topic later.

Chetarren Caesar||Ilyena||Laurana||Brann
"I can't be bothered to procrastinate. Maybe I'll do it later." - Pandaemonium
"You're a scary scary reading monster >_<" - Saber
OLDIES 4 LYFE
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

..SHUT UP TIROTH. >_>

My vision of the Dome is that, basically, it's a giant black dome with lots of creamy windows. Inside, I like to think that the layout is permanent (like, a left is always a left at a certain point in the Dome, and the cafeteria or rooms are always in the same place) but that the way it is PERCIEVED changes from person to person. I tell that to my students for creativity purposes. Like, for instance, two students might see the same hallway, but one will see a hallway of medieval stone, and the other a hallway of clouds.

Personally, when I see the dome, I see marble floors and mahogany walls, but where the walls meet the ceiling, there is about three or four inches of luminescent material that glows all sorts of colors. But there are other parts of the Dome which have more dank and ominous settings.

That's how I see it.

“There are two types of statistics in the world: Lies, and damn lies.” ~Mark Twain
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Noble Keybearer

Well if we put it that way Tiroth, then I'll say that I see that all the rooms can change location around the relatively set hallway structure. Except the imporant things like the cafeteria and library and such can't move. The doors are themed as to what they contain inside. The halls are stone, marble, and the like.

...Umm... I think that's all the main bits.

EDIT: I'm very general, so that I can be flexible, and change details if I need to.
Last Edited by Sabbo; 12-17-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Well if we put it that way Tiroth, then I'll say that I see that all the rooms can change location around the relatively set hallway structure. Except the imporant things like the cafeteria and library and such can't move. The doors are themed as to what they contain inside. The halls are stone, marble, and the like.

...Umm... I think that's all the main bits.

EDIT: I'm very general, so that I can be flexible, and change details if I need to.
An interesting take.

I like to think that the Dome has no official front door, and that the door in which you enter is also a door in which someone can exit. Like, say I'm in World A, and I enter the Dome. I only saw the one door, no others, but when I get inside, there appear to be other doors next to mine that were not appearing on the outside.

Let's say there's a student who is assigned to do something in that particular world, or "room." He passes through that door (the door in which someone from that respective dimension can ENTER the Dome) and ends up in that dimension, does his assignment, and comes back. We call them rooms for the sake of simplicity, though. One of my favorite rooms is the "Volcano Room," in which there is a barren wasteland with a single volcano. It's another dimension which isn't contained within the Dome, but it's still called a room nonetheless.

Then of course there are doors which are contained within the Dome, like the Creature Grounds, the Cafeteria, the student rooms, the massive Library, the teacher rooms and floors, etc. Those doors simply lead to another part of the Dome, not another dimension.

I also like to envision that the Dome keeps tabs on everyone who exits it that is still tied to it. Like, students who are enrolled can leave the Dome through those inter-dimensional doors, but because the Dome led them to itself in the first place and still believes they need teaching, it will subconsciously lead them back eventually.

God, I have been teaching here for too long.

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Noble Keybearer

Tera & Raven didn't enter through a door. :3
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Tera & Raven didn't enter through a door. :3
Fair enough, but in my view of the Dome, whichever way they entered is a link to another Dimension to which the Dome is connected.

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Box Worker
Steam ID: Kurai_Chi1 3DS ID: 1134-8712-7688 PM first
View Posts: 1,193

Sonlen stepped out of a door into New York City. The door in NYC was the door of a portapotty.

Anyways, I see the Dome as a giant, purplish Dome. The windows are going all around the top. Inside, the hallways are pretty much a maze, with only the officially set rooms and my character's room staying in the same place. All the other rooms are constantly appearing, disappearing, and rearranging themselves. Overall, the Dome is a giant maze that seems to have a will of its own.
For God gave His one and only Son so that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world but to save the world through Him.
John 3: 16-17

KotVoY-CKC///Aspects of Myself///Twitter

Tags
dome, envision, vision