$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
It's a ribbon!
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney
Steam ID: etherwinterrain 3DS ID: 4742 5819 4763

View Posts: 27,325
The Battle Arena Feedback and Questions Thread

This where you, the members of the RPG section, give us suggestions and feedback about the processes, the Moderators and the Battle Arena in general. This is to help improve the overall BA and its performance, as well as bring to light any concerns you have and may have wanted to express. You can also ask questions that are on your mind, if anything's bothering you.

Rules for this thread:
- No spamming, flaming, trolling or anything of the like
- Try to keep it civil; you may have something you've been frustrated with for a while, but it's no reason to bite someone's head off. We're all nice and friendly here.
- But don't be afraid to bring your concerns to the thread, if you have a problem, we'll look into it.
Last Edited by Shrub; 05-12-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Quark
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 06:45 PM
jesus take the prndl
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtsyGal
View Posts: 1,917
Re: The Battle Arena Feedback and Questions Thread

I'm rather new to the BA, and have only participated (currently participating) in 1 RP, and that was one that the creator made for us two.

SOOO, I have a question. If I see an RP, do I just jump right in? All I see are RP's with no introduction and just the creator starting out. I don't get it. And can I just jump into any RP? I'm so confused T__T

[Music Thread]
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Lord of Din
Send a message via AIM to Tiroth Send a message via Skype™ to Tiroth
Steam ID: Tiroth 3DS ID: 3480-3281-7807

View Posts: 10,415

I can answer that, if the Council doesn't mind. People usually note in the thread title or opening post who is allowed to participate; if they don't, it's probably safe to assume that the people involved know who they are and won't welcome meddlers. So unless you see a thread that specifically notes that anyone is allowed to jump in, or that there are X many open spots, you probably shouldn't.

If you're still unsure or really want in on a particular piece of action, though, you could always PM the people already involved. They might be amenable to an extra person, and the worst they can do is say no.

Chetarren Caesar||Ilyena||Laurana||Brann
"I can't be bothered to procrastinate. Maybe I'll do it later." - Pandaemonium
"You're a scary scary reading monster >_<" - Saber
OLDIES 4 LYFE
1 person liked this post: Quark
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroth View Post
I can answer that, if the Council doesn't mind. People usually note in the thread title or opening post who is allowed to participate; if they don't, it's probably safe to assume that the people involved know who they are and won't welcome meddlers. So unless you see a thread that specifically notes that anyone is allowed to jump in, or that there are X many open spots, you probably shouldn't.

If you're still unsure or really want in on a particular piece of action, though, you could always PM the people already involved. They might be amenable to an extra person, and the worst they can do is say no.
Thanks!

[Music Thread]
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroth View Post

Oh, and does this mean that I can just make an RP and let people join like in VCR?

[Music Thread]
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Tomorrow is a new day. Why let it be the same as the day before?
Send a message via AIM to Ciroton Send a message via Skype™ to Ciroton
View Posts: 14,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyGal View Post
Oh, and does this mean that I can just make an RP and let people join like in VCR?
If it is your thread, you can invite anyone you want, any number you want. Although, usually the case is that the bigger a thread gets, the more likely it is to die, so you might want to limit spots. It is all up to you. The only condition is that they have approved characters.

(Forgot who made the sig. Sorry. =/)

Voices from the back of my mind~!
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciroton View Post
If it is your thread, you can invite anyone you want, any number you want. Although, usually the case is that the bigger a thread gets, the more likely it is to die, so you might want to limit spots. It is all up to you. The only condition is that they have approved characters.
Can I just leave it open so people can come in by themselves?

[Music Thread]
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Tomorrow is a new day. Why let it be the same as the day before?
Send a message via AIM to Ciroton Send a message via Skype™ to Ciroton
View Posts: 14,770

Quote:
Can I just leave it open so people can come in by themselves?
That is always an option, yes.

(Forgot who made the sig. Sorry. =/)

Voices from the back of my mind~!
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciroton View Post
That is always an option, yes.
Thanks! But one more thing...

I want to make an RP in the Crossroads, but I have another question. Do I just begin posting, or do I do an introduction and wait for people to sign up like in VCR? And do I have to make a discussion thread for signing up like in VCR? Can someone describe the process to me?

Oh, and another question (sorry!). If I want to create romance in the RP (no, I'm not lonely), but I haven't consulted to the love interest's creator about it, can I just make it happen and see how they respond?

[Music Thread]
Last Edited by ArtsyGal; 06-11-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Have you ever died and thought to yourself: "Why am I still thinking?"
Send a message via AIM to Quark Send a message via Skype™ to Quark
Steam ID: koolgool

View Posts: 28,650

Quote:
Thanks! But one more thing...

I want to make an RP in the Crossroads, but I have another question. Do I just begin posting, or do I do an introduction and wait for people to sign up like in VCR?
Typically you just write the first post in the thread if you have an idea in mind, but you can go about this either way. It's pretty relaxed in this regard. If you want to create an open thread, you can create an introduction explaining what the thread is about, or if it's not all that structured yet in your head you can just begin with the first post. :]

Quote:
And do I have to make a discussion thread for signing up like in VCR? Can someone describe the process to me?
You can make one in the Dome if you want to, but usually that doesn't happen unless the thread is very large and all the participants need a place to discuss the RP together.

Quote:
Oh, and another question (sorry!).
No need to apologize. Questions are very much welcome here.

Quote:
If I want to create romance in the RP (no, I'm not lonely), but I haven't consulted to the love interest's creator about it, can I just make it happen and see how they respond?
If you want to have your character fall in love with another person's character without telling them, you can feel free to do that, just make sure your character is prepared for rejection in the case they don't go along with it. ;]

-=========}xxxx[] Denizens of My Brain []xxxx{=========-
{Quark's Intermittent Art Vomitorium}
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Tactician Keybearer
Send a message via AIM to Shrub Send a message via Skype™ to Shrub

View Posts: 5,027

Quote:
Do I just begin posting, or do I do an introduction and wait for people to sign up like in VCR? And do I have to make a discussion thread for signing up like in VCR? Can someone describe the process to me?
Yes.

Lol, well, technically all those things are options. If you post in the Crossroads, you should have some kind of in-character introduction, usually involving the approved character(s) you are using. You should have an out-of-character note explaining the conditions of your RP, the number of people allowed to join, how many characters per RPer, etc. In this case, they usually "sign-up" by writing an post in response with the character(s) they will be using.

Or, you could post a discussion thread in the Dome proposing your RP idea and conditions and allow for people to sign-up out-of-character there.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but basically you can do those two things.
Quote:
Oh, and another question (sorry!). If I want to create romance in the RP (no, I'm not lonely), but I haven't consulted to the love interest's creator about it, can I just make it happen and see how they respond?
Depends, your character could try to make a move on their character, BUT you are never allowed to write the other RPer's character's response to your character's attempt. We call that powerplaying here, and it is against the rules to writer another person's character for them without their express permission. Basically, always allow for the other writer to write their character's response, give them a chance to react and respond.

That is the more spontaneous way to do it. Which is fun if you keep an open mind to it. Imagine the drama of unrequited love! (If it turns out their character just isn't interested in yours that way.)

Or you could PM them and ask them what they think. Usually, if your character is having romantic thoughts and feelings of attraction to another person's character it will usually start showing through your own posts as you write your character's thoughts, and they might respond on their own with their character.

Asking never hurts either though.

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
[Between the Worlds|A Light in the Dark|Empire of Darkness|Under the Red Sea]
Last Edited by Shrub; 06-11-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Typically you just write the first post in the thread if you have an idea in mind, but you can go about this either way. It's pretty relaxed in this regard. If you want to create an open thread, you can create an introduction explaining what the thread is about, or if it's not all that structured yet in your head you can just begin with the first post. :]

You can make one in the Dome if you want to, but usually that doesn't happen unless the thread is very large and all the participants need a place to discuss the RP together.

No need to apologize. Questions are very much welcome here.

If you want to have your character fall in love with another person's character without telling them, you can feel free to do that, just make sure your character is prepared for rejection in the case they don't go along with it. ;]
Thanks for your help!

And as for the romance thing, since my character has been living in solitude for 2495 years (excluding meetings every 500 years with Chronos, the God of Time), she has forgotten how to feel affection (or so she thinks). I want her to know that she is still capable of human emotions, so that's why
(But she's about to make some friends ATM)

[Music Thread]
Last Edited by ArtsyGal; 06-11-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Tactician Keybearer

Oh dang, Quark ninja'd me. (Gotta love how short and to the point he is and how long winded I am.)

In any case, thanks for the questions, Artsy. I'm working on an improved guide for Crossroads roleplaying. I may add a few things based on the questions you asked.

Last Edited by Shrub; 06-12-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 PM
jesus take the prndl

Oh, and another question (>_<)!

When I'm battling, am I allowed to state that my character has hit someone? Because in an RP, the other person stated that my character was hit. Can I do that? I usually just say my character has attacked, and then just leave it like that for the other person to decide. Oh, and if I am allowed to say that my character has landed a hit, can I say what happens after that (ie: crashing through a building after a blast)?

[Music Thread]
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 AM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
Oh dang, Quark ninja'd me.

In any case, thanks for the questions, Artsy. I'm working on an improved guide for Crossroads roleplaying. I may add a few things based on the questions you asked.
Yeah ^__^

And thanks! Both of your responses were very helpful

[Music Thread]
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Tactician Keybearer

Quote:
Oh, and another question (>_<)!

When I'm battling, am I allowed to state that my character has hit someone? Because in an RP, the other person stated that my character was hit. Can I do that? I usually just say my character has attacked, and then just leave it like that for the other person to decide. Oh, and if I am allowed to say that my character has landed a hit, can I say what happens after that (ie: crashing through a building after a blast)?
As always, the rule should be to allow the other person's characters to react. Technically, if someone said your character was hit, they godmoded and that is against the rules. When you get in fights with characters, communication is key. Talk about how you both think the fight should go. Who should win and why and how do they win? You should both agree or don't do combat with characters.

Last Edited by Shrub; 06-12-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 AM
jesus take the prndl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub View Post
As always, the rule should be to allow the other person's characters to react. Technically, if someone said your character was hit, they godmoded and that is against the rules. When you get in fights with characters, communication is key. Talk about how you both think the fight should go. Who should win and why and how do they win? You should both agree or don't do combat with characters.
Thank you very much!

[Music Thread]
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Tactician Keybearer

No problem, and also if anyone breaks rules like powerplaying and godmoding and they don't listen even when you talk to them about it and ask them to stop, please do contact a Councilor and let us know. It's part of our duty to serve and protect here. We deal with the people who don't play nice.

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Ace Detective
View Posts: 269

What are the rules on creating another character for the BA? (Like you have created you're first one, how long should you wait before creating another one, etc.)
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,220

The general rule is that you should you your previous character/s in at least one RP (each) before making a new character. The point of this is primarily so that you don't abandon old characters without having had at least tried to RP with them.