Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 AM
Even in the grave, all is not lost.

View Posts: 14,731
Re: New Section Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altamira View Post
Actually we've voted on this a number of times and most people don't like it much.
Yet it has been brought back up again by multiple people. It deserves a spot on the polls as much as any of the other suggestions.

#62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder Aedernis View Post
Yet it has been brought back up again by multiple people. It deserves a spot on the polls as much as any of the other suggestions.
I'm counting two people now. You're certainly not going to get a majority vote out of this.
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
I'm counting two people now. You're certainly not going to get a majority vote out of this.
Wrong - three people have actively posted approval in this thread. I count at least a further three who have shown or posted approval, in this thread and/or elsewhere. I can also think of other members who would support the EH's return.

The long and short of it is that "the Escapist's Haven" was a great name. It was original, fun, and gave us a name we could use with pride around the forum. It was neither nondescript nor extravagant; it isn't so serious that it sounds like we have sticks so far up our backsides we could pass as Punch and Judy puppets, and yet it shows that we can act with pride and austerity and still greatly enjoy what we do. Sure, it may not receive a majority, but it deserves to be in the poll nonetheless. They can take our lives, but they can never take our freedom.

I bid you good day sir.

#64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM
All Hail Shadow!
View Posts: 450

I think I prefer the 'Escapists Haven'. That just sounds great to me.

Sig made by Snurtlicious

My BA character: Kaizar
1 person liked this post: Stryder Aedernis
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
Wrong - three people have actively posted approval in this thread. I count at least a further three who have shown or posted approval, in this thread and/or elsewhere. I can also think of other members who would support the EH's return.

The long and short of it is that "the Escapist's Haven" was a great name. It was original, fun, and gave us a name we could use with pride around the forum. It was neither nondescript nor extravagant; it isn't so serious that it sounds like we have sticks so far up our backsides we could pass as Punch and Judy puppets, and yet it shows that we can act with pride and austerity and still greatly enjoy what we do. Sure, it may not receive a majority, but it deserves to be in the poll nonetheless. They can take our lives, but they can never take our freedom.

I bid you good day sir.
And no veteran of the BA agrees with you.
1 person liked this post: Rakshael
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Imagine chewing bubblegum with your butthole
Send a message via Skype™ to Sólsetur
Steam ID: solseturs

View Posts: 12,174

So veterans are the only one's who should get represented here?

[11:32:44 PM] jordan: AM I THE WHY OF THE THINGS OR AM THE THINGS THE WHY OF I

3 people liked this post: Rakshael, Shrub, Stryder Aedernis
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Have you ever died and thought to yourself: "Why am I still thinking?"
Send a message via AIM to Quark Send a message via Skype™ to Quark
Steam ID: koolgool

View Posts: 28,739

Quote:

I bid you good day sir.
The Escapist's Haven was a rather awful name. I mean yeah, a lot of us use the BA for escapism, but that's definitely not a thing to be proud of... I actually feel a little ashamed bearing that title. Calling yourself an Escapist is admitting that you can't handle the troubles in your life so you choose to run from them... I don't see how that's a title you want to boast about. :<

It also lacks any sign of the word "Roleplaying" which, now that I've considered it for a while, I think could be very helpful for attracting the attention of new members who would ordinarily glance right over this section.

-=========}xxxx[] Denizens of My Brain []xxxx{=========-
{Quark's Intermittent Art Vomitorium}
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Bang bang! Down down!
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney
Steam ID: etherwinterrain 3DS ID: 4742 5819 4763
View Posts: 27,483

I'd have to agree with Quark.

"Escapist's Haven" just sounds... bad. It's derogative. It's nothing you'd want to carry around on your head proudly. And then there's nothing conveying that it's roleplaying; since there are lots of things that can be considered "escapism".

Also "veterans' opinions" aren't the only ones that matter, that's why we have this thread. If it's a place on the poll you want, a place on the poll you'll get.
1 person liked this post: Quark
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sólsetur View Post
So veterans are the only one's who should get represented here?
Of course not. I was just demonstrating how outnumbered Stryder is.

Also, I totally agree with Quark, except for how I had thought that way as soon as I found out we had adopted that section name.

Nin-nin.
Last Edited by Sabbo; 05-23-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason:
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
And no veteran of the BA agrees with you.
That is quite possibly the worst counter-argument I have ever heard and should be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
The Escapist's Haven was a rather awful name. I mean yeah, a lot of us use the BA for escapism, but that's definitely not a thing to be proud of... I actually feel a little ashamed bearing that title. Calling yourself an Escapist is admitting that you can't handle the troubles in your life so you choose to run from them... I don't see how that's a title you want to boast about. :<
Quote:
Originally Posted by insaney View Post
"Escapist's Haven" just sounds... bad. It's derogative. It's nothing you'd want to carry around on your head proudly.
How have you come to put such a negative spin on that? I don't agree with that definition at all. Escapism isn't a negative noun in the slightest, unless you make it so - but if you choose to think of it negatively you do so of your own volition and shouldn't presume to tar me, and others, with the same brush.

My definition of Escapism in this context is the ability to create and immerse yourself in a beautiful, exciting, dangerous, adventurous, and most importantly fun setting or scenario. Is that not the purpose of roleplaying? To be able to leap into a battle, an adventure, to interact emotionally, mentally, happily, with anger or loss - all from the comfort of your home or work or coffee shop?

So no. I'm quite proud of being an Escapist, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
It also lacks any sign of the word "Roleplaying" which, now that I've considered it for a while, I think could be very helpful for attracting the attention of new members who would ordinarily glance right over this section.
Quote:
And then there's nothing conveying that it's roleplaying; since there are lots of things that can be considered "escapism".
The title "The Battle Arena" has never truly reflected the nature of its purpose. Nor have any of the previous names (i.e. "The Amphitheatre"). Just pointing that out. The idea of a Haven, however, could and would accurately convey the purpose and pastimes of its inhabitants.

Last Edited by Stryder Aedernis; 05-23-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason:
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Diane,
View Posts: 6,557

Quote:
That is quite possibly the worst counter-argument I have ever heard and should be ignored.
I agree with this. But then I also think "Escapist Haven" is a horrible name, so the point is totally moot.

I'm just looking at all the section names in the rest of the forums... we have "Zelda", "Community", "Clans and Games"... literally the only other section with even the slightest bit of "flavor" in the title is the "Creativity Corner" and that's just BARELY. Following this pattern, the next section header in line really should be "Role Play"; it's the only possible name that won't make at least somebody cringe, and it also, you know, can't possibly mislead someone as to what the contents of the boards are.

It looks like I care about this more than I actually do (I basically don't; I don't post in here) but it's strange to me that we wouldn't use the section header like the rest of the site does, and the way it makes the most sense to use it: a terse description of what's inside, and nothing more.

Last Edited by DIUM; 05-23-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason:
3 people liked this post: Avalanchemike, insaney, Shrub
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Bang bang! Down down!
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney
Steam ID: etherwinterrain 3DS ID: 4742 5819 4763
View Posts: 27,483

This time we want to convey roleplaying. It's not just "The Battle Arena" anymore. We have the VCR with us this time. "Battle Arena" and "The Amphitheatre" don't fit the place, either.

If you look up the definitions of 'escapist' almost all of them mean "escaping from perceived bad reality into fantasy". It sounds bad. Anyone who knows the definitions of "escapist" would be turned away. For example, turning to alcohol is a form of escapism. Even if you perceive it to be a good name the definition is still too broad.

It's still getting a place in the poll, if that was your wish.

asdf thanks Dium.
Last Edited by insaney; 05-23-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason:
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
This time we want to convey roleplaying. It's not just "The Battle Arena" anymore. We have the VCR with us this time. "Battle Arena" and "The Amphitheatre" don't fit the place, either.

If you look up the definitions of 'escapist' almost all of them mean "escaping from perceived bad reality into fantasy". It sounds bad. Anyone who knows the definitions of "escapist" would be turned away. For example, turning to alcohol is a form of escapism. Even if you perceive it to be a good name the definition is still too broad.

It's still getting a place in the poll, if that was your wish.
I disagree, but so long as it's on the poll I'm happy. I'm just making sure it has its spot. If the people's vote says otherwise, I fully support it.

Last Edited by Stryder Aedernis; 05-23-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason:
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Diane,
View Posts: 6,557

You know, "Battle Arena" is not an appropriate name anymore (and so it's good that it's changing) but it really isn't a bad name for a section. Back when 90% of what happened in the BA actually was battling, it was a perfect name, in that it was probably the most to-the-point way of saying what the boards were about (without resorting to silly supershort names like merely "Battles").

I'm just afraid people think there are frills that need to be replaced here when there are none.

3 people liked this post: insaney, Quark, Shrub
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm now becoming my own self-fulfilled prophecy.
Send a message via AIM to Cookie
View Posts: 3,972

I don't personally see any issue with the word 'escapism' - it's not a bad word. However I don't really find 'Escapist's Haven to be a particularly appropriate name. I've always suggested the name 'Role-Playing Central' and I still stand by it, although any name in the format 'Role-Playing ____' would be an appropriate name. I'd just prefer a simple word there. It's just the section name - it doesn't matter if it's generic, it simply needs to be descriptive. But it absolutely must have the words 'role-playing' in it, in my opinion.
Last Edited by Cookie; 05-23-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason:
5 people liked this post: insaney, Quark, Rakshael, Shrub, Stryder Aedernis
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Time flies when you're hitting people with sticks
Send a message via AIM to Shrub Send a message via Skype™ to Shrub

View Posts: 5,230

I, myself, once favored Escapists' Haven. I still like the name in a way, because I don't take personal offense to the word "escapist." We all need an escape from life sometimes to recharge our real life batteries. It only becomes a bad thing if you do it to an unhealthy degree.

However, I am with Cookie that in light of the VCR joining us but even before now, Escapists' Haven is no longer any more appropriate than Battle Arena as a section name. We need something that is more descriptive even if plain.

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
[Between the Worlds|A Light in the Dark|Empire of Darkness|Under the Red Sea]
Last Edited by Shrub; 05-23-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason:
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Noble Keybearer

DIUM, stop making sense.

But yeah. _Some_ frills should probably stay, but only a bit. This is, after all, a creativity-based part of the site, just like the Creativity Corner. We're just a bit more specific in the types of creativity allowed here.

I'm thinking it should be a three-word name, where the first two are roleplay or role-playing.

Or we could go a bit more clinical and call it something like "interactive storytelling"
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Time flies when you're hitting people with sticks
Send a message via AIM to Shrub Send a message via Skype™ to Shrub

View Posts: 5,230

I want to vote for there being no weird little "-" between "role" and "play." Those are two words that work just fine independently of each other, and I think it looks ugly when it's likes "role-play" or "role-playing."

That's just me being nit-picky though.

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
[Between the Worlds|A Light in the Dark|Empire of Darkness|Under the Red Sea]
4 people liked this post: Avalanchemike, insaney, Quark, Stryder Aedernis
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Noble Keybearer

Oh right, right. Either are technically correct, but you've got a good point.

That said, role play or roleplay?
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm now becoming my own self-fulfilled prophecy.
Send a message via AIM to Cookie
View Posts: 3,972

If we're omitting the dash, I think 'Roleplaying' looks better.
1 person liked this post: Avalanchemike
Closed Thread