Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm not sorry
Send a message via AIM to Ruki Send a message via Skype™ to Ruki
Steam ID: lunarhero

View Posts: 10,645
Mythological Wars Discussion

Many humans believe monsters to be creatures of myth and legends. They are blissfully unaware that these creatures are in fact very real and are living along side them, even to this day...

You are a mythological creature who is living in today's modern era. According to the law of mythological beasts, you must have a human form as not to cause alarm.

Of course there is always screw ups, and that's where the Youkai Organization comes in. It is their job to make sure that the existence that monsters aren't made known to to the human populace, who outnumber monsters 1o,000 to one. So, whenever a bigfoot is sighted (for like the billionth time) or Nesi gets caught on camera (again) it is up to the Youkai Organization to tamper with the evidence to make sure there is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt about monsters.

However, not every monster thinks they should stay hidden. The Rebels are a group of monsters who would love nothing more to start a war with the humans and be the ones who are controlling the world, not the humans. They are at constant ends with the Youkai Organization, and they are the biggest threat to the peace the monster war enjoys. They prefer to think themselves as "freedom fighters," however the Youkai Organization thinks the word "terrorist" is a better word.

In this RP you will have three "classes" to choose from:

Youkai Organization: They are basically the government/peace keepers of the world. They go on lots of different jobs to make sure that monsters remain as myth and lore to humans.

Rebels: Terrorist or Freedom Fighter, either way they don't like the fact that humans are the ones in charge. As a result, they are constantly making plans and doing things to change the world order so that monsters are in charge. They are constantly butting heads with the Youkai Organization.

Citizens: These are your "average joes." They are the monsters who have no affiliation with either organization. They are the ones who the Youkai Organization covers for when they slip up and the ones the Rebels use as pawns.

Rules:
Spoiler:  

1) No power-playing/god-modding.
2) No "modern age" renditions of monsters. For example, if you choose a vampire, we are having none of this sparkly vampire vegan ❤❤❤❤. As a result, you may want to do some research on the monster and the role they played in society. Like for example, if you decide to be a kitsune, they would not be a member of the Youkai Organization because they are more malevolent creatures. As such they would be a Rebel, or a citizen who sympathizes with the Rebels.
3) Keep in mind that these monsters are hiding as humans. While they should have something about them that is a bit out of the norm, there shouldn't be doing anything to attract suspicion. Not even the Rebels. Unless they are in a third world country. Like the middle of Africa.
4) I will be going through an approval process for each character. However, because there are things that I may overlook or not think of, I will allow other RPers to bring their own concerns forward about any character. This of course includes my own.
5) Another thing to keep in mind while creating characters is the nationality of the monster you are creating. Let's say you are creating a kitsune. They aren't going to be German or whatever. They are going to be Japanese. (Also, to make it more authenticate, you might want to do a quick research of the culture if you are unfamiliar. You don't need to be an expert, but at least have some basic 101 knowledge.)
6) If someone is being OP or OOC during the RP, anybody can call them out. The etiquette to this is "ooc: [person name] please go the discussion thread because [reason]." (This thread will become the discussion thread once we get going.) Then the argument will take place, and if an agreement cannot be reached, I will make the final judgement.
7) Players may fight other players. This is a war between monsters after all, so conflict is to be expected. However, you may not kill them without permission. If you are going to fight, I would suggest you plan it out before hand. At least figure out what is going to happen, and who is going to win.
8) Please keep ooc remarks and discussions in the discussion thread. That is what it is there for.
9) To keep this RP active, I would ask that people post on a regular basis. At least once a week if they aren't a really main part of the action. More often if they are.
10) Rules can be added or modified as events warrant. However, there will be a discussion among the RPers and an announcement before this happens.

Character Rubric:
Spoiler:  

Character name:
Sex:
Actual Age:
Apparent Age (human):

Type of Monster:
Nationality:
RP Group:
Role within group:

Appearance as monster:
Appearance as human:

Battle abilities as monster:
Battle inabilities as monster:

Battle abilities as human:
Battle inabilities as human:

Quirks:

Personality:

History:

Note: If your creature cannot shape shift normally, their human age and their monster age should coincide. So, if your monster is an adult, your human form must look like an adult. The only exception is if the creature as the natural ability to shape shift, so they can change their appearance. Ex: Skin walkers can shape shift. Best human form would be for their predatory purposes.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to speak up!

Jack Brant and Joker drawn by Chibi
Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
BA Characters
Last Edited by Jaime Lannister; 04-23-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason:
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966
Re: Mythological Wars Discussion

Can I be a Rebel who is constantly in beast form? Like a guy who just doesn't want to hide behind his human form and just wants to wreak havoc?

And do we have to pick from the list of mythological creatures provided or can we make our own? These are game changers for me.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm not sorry

To answer your first question, you can be a Rebel who is constantly in beast form. But you probably wouldn't be a member who say is near major cities. You would probably reek havoc near small towns or wooded areas. Remember, humans outnumber monsters 10,000:1. Humans are also very good at killing things. So, you (and other Rebels) are going to have to keep that in mind when proceeding in both making your character and implementing your master plan.

Currently as things stand, rebelling against the humans seems stupid and suicidal for those two major reasons. Basically, the Rebels are going to be forced to be smart when proceeding.

And I don't see why you can't make your own mythological creature. You are going to have to provide the whole shebang though. Where they are from, what they look like, what they can do, what they are like. Basically I guess you are creating your own myth. Just make it reasonable.

Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
BA Characters
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm not sorry

If you do something that is already done in mythology, you will be switched to that creature. This is just so people are on the same page, and nothing will be hidden. We don't want anything coming out of left field mid RP.

BA Characters
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
jcd ; bionicman

I'd like to participate, but I think I may have too much stuff going on. We shall see.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,440

Could I perhaps play Nyarlathotep?
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
==> Everything is Awesome
Send a message via AIM to Karkat
Steam ID: SoundchekZ
View Posts: 3,856

I have mind to join this RP, but I want to be a cool monster, so I'm going to be researching a while before I decide. Don't start without me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
This party is logical as ❤❤❤❤.

Killer Mohawk LPs
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
Could I perhaps play Nyarlathotep?
Sure, as long as you keep true to its monstery ways. If you could just explain the mythology surrounding it, that'd be awesome.

BA Characters
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm not sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
I have mind to join this RP, but I want to be a cool monster, so I'm going to be researching a while before I decide. Don't start without me!
Well, its OWP, so you really don't have to worry about much. I still have to create my own character. <.<

And oh, I already got a question about the setting. The "main" setting will be in a city I have yet to figure out in America. I'll probably make up some city. However, you can have your character be anywhere in the world because PLANES.

Although, if you are a citizen, you probably should be in the main city unless you plan on joining a team later on.

BA Characters
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
jcd ; bionicman

List of legendary creatures by type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

helpful to those who are undecided as of yet
1 person liked this post: zoraluigi
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Kingslayer

The wikipedia page should explain it well. I suppose it'll be changed slightly in this world since not all the Cthulhu Mythos creatures would be in it.

But, Nyarlathotep is a creature that can appear in many forms. Literally. It's known to have like a thousand other forms, ranging from an Egyptian Pharaoh or an overweight woman, to more sinister things like this to this. In addition to basically being scary as ❤❤❤❤ to look at, he'd be pretty strong and intelligent.

I suppose for the mythology here I could base it heavily on the Egyptian bits of his mythology (since he appears in just about every culture in Lovecraft's world). The story behind him is in Ancient Egyptian times there was a mysterious man who claimed to be Pharaoh. He proved this by performing supernatural feats. After he would leave the city, the citizens would be plagued by nightmares of doom and despair.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm not sorry

That sounds epic. I can't wait to see what you do with him!

BA Characters
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Kevyn Miller
Send a message via AIM to Sam Nornal Send a message via Skype™ to Sam Nornal
Steam ID: sam.nornal 3DS ID: Sam.Nornal
View Posts: 2,542

Character name: Jalen Koning
Sex: Male
Actual Age: 39
Apparent Age (human): 20-21

Type of Monster: Impundulu
Nationality: Afrikaner
RP Group: Rebel
Role within group: Informant: Because of his social connections and outgoing nature, Jalen is often called to find information for the Rebel movement.

Solider: Jalen, in his Impundulu form, is used sparingly when violence is needed. However, as the tensions between the Youkai Organization and Rebels grow, he will find his less subtle services needed with more frequency.

Appearance as monster: A large bird as tall as an adult human, with alternating black and white feathers. In this form he has a sharp beak evolved for stabbing, and a set of sharp talons for grabbing prey. His eyes are small and beady, and the head is mostly skinless besides a fringe of feathers starting on his crown.
Appearance as human: When taking the shape of a human, Jalen looks like a young man in his early twenties. He's a bit shorter in this form, reaching 6 feet tall, although his unruly black hair adds a few inches. His face is hairless and somewhat angular, and he has a tendency to hold his head a bit forward when he's talking.

His eyes are dark and beady, and he doesn't move them often. Unless the occasion demands otherwise he wears a long sleeved white shirt with black sleeves, and a well worn pair of jeans.

Battle abilities as monster: In his monster form Jalen can fly, summon thunder and lightning, and has sharp talons alongside a razor sharp beak. His vision is equal to that of a peregrin falcon, and he can spot small movements from miles away.
Battle inabilities as monster: Unable to swim, not terribly fast of a flier, incredibly loud when moving.

Battle abilities as human: Although still capable of summoning thunder and lightning, he never does for safety reasons. As a human Jalen loses most of his natural advantages including flight and his talons. However, as a human he is faster than most humans because of his light bone mass, and along these same lines is a far better acrobat. His vision, though not as impressive in this form, is still formidable.
Battle inabilities as human: His bones are incredibly light, and thus incredibly fragile. Although he can swim as a human, he still insticively fears getting wet or submerged because of his bird nature. Although he can still summon lightning, doing so would cause him to be struck by it, which would very likely kill him.

Quirks: Bobs his head when he's distracted. He often looks around instead of focusing on one particular thing, although he can fight this compulision if he needs to. He tends to move his head more then his body, and he very rarely turns his entire body towards anything.

He doesn't like horses.

Personality: Jalen is smooth, fast talking, and a self proclaimed cynic. Despite his bitter outlook, he's outgoing and likes to be the center of attention, to the point of stealing attention from other people. Basically, he's an attention whore. He doesn't hate humans, but he thinks of himself as better then them.

He also has a weakness for women, and will often go out of his way to impress the unfortunate ones that catch his eye.

History: Jalen was born in 1973 at the site of a lightning strike. Within hours of hatching, and still a fledgling, Jalen was found by a wealthy Afrikaner, and taken as a pet. He quickly grew larger then the man who had found him expected, and after a few months the man tried to kill the monsterous bird out of fear. Jalen instintively summoned a bolt of lightning to save himself, killing the man. After the strike, Jalen drank the blood of several livestock and flew into the wild.

After this incident, members of the Youkai Organization began to search for the renegade Impundulu, trying to stop him before he exposed himself to any more humans.

Jalen was eventaully taken in by a Tikoloshe living nearby, who raised him a few more years and explained the law of mythological beasts, as well as the role of the Youkai Organization. The Tikoloshe raised the Impundulu to maturity before Jalen left, his instintive urge to prey on humans reaching a boiling point.

Now four years old and able to shapeshift into the form of a young man, Jalen drifted through Capetown scavenging for food and preying on the occasional human. After almost ten years of turmoil and purposeless existence, he managed to buy himself into a better position using some information he had overheard as leverage. Realizing that he could acquire more , he quickly became a well known name in the town if you were anyone with information.

In the mid-nineties, Jalen became involved with the daughter of a local drug lord while trying to find information to help take him down. After the father figured out his reason for being with his daughter, he cornered Jalen and attacked him. Still in his human form, he panicked and summoned a bolt of lighning to try to save himself. He and his attacker were hit, killing the drug lord instantly and severely wounding Jalen.

During his journey to the hospital, he was found by a member of the Rebel Movement who could heal him. In exchange for saving him, Jalen was forced to become a servant of the Rebel faction the man belonged to.

Escaping to America, the location of the Rebel faction, he quickly fell back into old habits and starting gathering information and contacts. He now flies between midwestern American towns, his focus now on gathering information that could assist Rebels in any way. He sees monsters as oppressed by humans and the Youkai Organization, and is trying to help liberate them from restrictions he views as unfair and limiting to their true potential...while also trying to mastermind his own escape from the Rebel who control him.

-Currently Editing-
Last Edited by Sam Nornal; 04-24-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason:
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
==> Everything is Awesome
Send a message via AIM to Karkat
Steam ID: SoundchekZ
View Posts: 3,856

Okay, I think I have a creature I want to be: a Kobalos. I'll start on a character sheet then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
This party is logical as ❤❤❤❤.

Killer Mohawk LPs
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm not sorry

Oh, also if you guys have good ideas for NPCs, feel free to make a sheet for them too. Just label them as an NPC.

BA Characters
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Royal Hylian

View Posts: 946

So deadline on getting a character sheet submitted? If I can get myself going this will be my first RP so I don't really know the pace these things usually go at.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm not sorry

There is no deadline. It's an OWP. Because this is a war, we can have a lot more RPers then normal.

BA Characters
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
♪ Spooky, scary skeletons ♪
Send a message via Skype™ to zoraluigi
Steam ID: zoraluigi
View Posts: 1,855

Well, I think I've chosen to do a Raijū. But since it's 11:30 at night and I'm supposed to be asleep, I'll hold off on the sheet till tomorrow afternoon (i.e. after school).
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Kingslayer

Character name: Nyarlathotep
Sex: Genderless
Actual Age: Aeons
Apparent Age (human): 26

Type of Monster: Elder God (simply means he is very old and powerful, not an actual deity)
Nationality: Egyptian
RP Group: Rebel
Role within group: Subterfuge, psychological warfare, fighter

Appearance as monster
: Nyarlathotep can take many forms, but his preferred form is a horrid abomination. It stands at fifteen feet tall. Rather than a head, there is a large tongue/tentacle. It has many mouths dripping with liquids. Has two clawed hands, and no eyes, and walks on three legs. Image.
Appearance as human: His hair is long, and naturally dark-blue. He stands at six foot even. His skin is darkened by the exposure to sunlight. His face is prominent and strong, with a face that twists with cunning. Image.

Battle abilities as monster:
Has many forms he can transform into, with each having various strengths like the ability to fly or become a poisonous mist. All forms listed here (note that Howler in the Dark is his preferred form). Nyarlathotep has the ability to strike an inhuman fear into the minds and souls of his enemies, causing them to be driven to insanity or unconsciousness if they aren't of strong will. Incredibly resilient.
Battle inabilities as monster: Too strong of a sunlight can weaken him, forcing him to turn into The Crawling Mist and retreat into darkness, or revert to his human form.

Battle abilities as human: His human form is slim and quick. He has trained in hand-to-hand combat for innumerable years.
Battle inabilities as human: He doesn't possess much knowledge of modern day technology, and thus can't really use guns or other such weapons. Vulnerable at range.

Quirks: As he enjoys the Ancient Egyptian culture the most, his house is full of Egyptian artifacts, and he has two Egyptian cats. While he's learned to not wear extravagant jewelery in public, he still wears silk shirts and pants that can make him stand out.

Personality: Nyarlathotep has and always will serve himself first. While he sides with the rebels, he only does this because he doesn't like Youkai Organization (which is quite young by his standards) dictating what he can and can't do. He doesn't care to actually rule over the humans. He gets the most pleasure out of tormenting the psyche of the people around him. He doesn't really see much of a difference between other monsters and the humans. Occasionally he'll sell dark artifacts to a person, or give them vivid lucid dreams at night. This usually ends with the person being put in an insane asylum, much to the amusement of Nyarlathotep.

While he is very powerful, he usually doesn't bother the organization unless it tries to directly oppose him.

History: Nyarlathotep has been around since the beginning of time, or very much near it. He did nothing of note until Ancient Egypt sprung up, which he found to be the first civilization of Earth to be interesting. For a time he lived amongst the Egyptians and absorbed their culture. While he knew that Gods like Ra and Anubis didn't actually exist, he was amazed at their dedication to them. Over time he passed on information to the people (especially the Pharaohs), which advanced their civilization's technology and society.

Then there came a time where he found the pleasure of instilling insanity in the mortals. He would go about from city to city and perform supernatural feats. Anyone who came to watch him experienced the most tormenting dreams for the rest of their life. Many of them committed suicide. From there on out rumors began to spread of "The Black Pharaoh" - a man who caused nightmares to all who heard him.

And so this continued throughout history, and throughout other cultures. He would live among them, learn their culture, and spend some time in a form of monstrosity to toy with the people. When the organization came about he started becoming much more subtler, not wishing to be discovered. While the chances of him being able to defeat the monsters in battle was on his side, he didn't care enough to do anything about it
Last Edited by Jaime Lannister; 04-12-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason:
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006

I'm assuming members of the Youkai Organization can also be monsters in human disguise?

Tags
monsters, mythology, wars