#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Dog Dog 123 Dog Dog 123 is a female United States Dog Dog 123 is offline
:(
Send a message via AIM to Dog Dog 123 Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Dog 123

View Posts: 8,558
Re: HELP!? XP OR VISTA!?

Quote:
I know Vista throttles network speed if you're streaming video, but other than that you seem to be the only person with this problem.

Also, what do you mean the "thing to make it load faster"?
Even the 98 with it's pile of problems loads pages faster then the Vista one. A page on ZU usually takes several minutes to load. On here a page loads within a few seconds. And by "things to make it load faster" I mean that I can't find the options that let me tell it to stop searching every inch of every page for security hazards. Then, if I do find it, it takes forever to move through the options because it keeps asking me if I'm sure. Nothing is where it should be, so I can't find the options that might help. And it hid the command prompt.

Quote:
I count that as a good thing, actually.
It might be a good thing, if it didn't stop the computer for a minute or two to tell you that it's starting something we told to come up. Too much security means that it won't move quickly.

Quote:
The alternative is what XP and previous do, which is to allow every program to do whatever it wants all the time.
And still we've never had a virus on this or my brother's computer. The 98 hasn't had a virus on it in years either, and the last one that it caught was fun because it made the icons on the desktop run from the mouse. Viruses are much more fun then virus protection.

Quote:
What does that even mean? DNS is a listing of domain names that pairs them with IP addresses. It's all done by independent servers, not your home PC.
Exactly. It doesn't make sense. Internet stopped working on Vista a few weeks ago. When we told it to go find the problem, it said that there may be a problem with the DNS. And it doesn't know how to fix it. We've decided that it must be a problem with that computer, seeing as I'm sitting a few feet away typing on my laptop. All we know is that the computer claims to have a problem with whatever a DNS is.

Quote:
There is presumably a toggle for that.
Really? Where? We haven't found any options for it, which is again directly related to the fact that Vista hides things.

Quote:
Freezes? That sounds like driver issues, not Vista. What hardware do you have, and when was the last time you did a driver update?
I'd tell you if I knew what a driver was. See, the other computers work without giving us instructions in spanish. They work without complaining about upgrades and drivers and such.

So, what it seems to be heading towards is to get Vista if you know what you're doing, get XP if you're as clueless as me.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
You know you love it.
Send a message via AIM to Yami

View Posts: 6,884

Turn off the security shit in Vista. It's not that hard, one check box and a restart later and its fine.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
PReSEnT DaY... PReSEnT TImE! HAhAHahAha!
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dog 123 View Post
Even the 98 with it's pile of problems loads pages faster then the Vista one. A page on ZU usually takes several minutes to load. On here a page loads within a few seconds. And by "things to make it load faster" I mean that I can't find the options that let me tell it to stop searching every inch of every page for security hazards. Then, if I do find it, it takes forever to move through the options because it keeps asking me if I'm sure. Nothing is where it should be, so I can't find the options that might help. And it hid the command prompt.
No, that's not how it works.

I use IE7 on this computer from time to time, and while hardly lightning-fast, it isn't slow, either.

Quote:
And still we've never had a virus on this or my brother's computer. The 98 hasn't had a virus on it in years either, and the last one that it caught was fun because it made the icons on the desktop run from the mouse. Viruses are much more fun then virus protection.
Not most viruses, no.

Also, have you run any spyware checks on your computers? I bet you'll find that the Vista one has the fewest.

You can also turn those dialogue boxes off, if you want to.

It's probably safe to do so if you're careful with what files you download or run.

Quote:
Exactly. It doesn't make sense. Internet stopped working on Vista a few weeks ago. When we told it to go find the problem, it said that there may be a problem with the DNS. And it doesn't know how to fix it. We've decided that it must be a problem with that computer, seeing as I'm sitting a few feet away typing on my laptop. All we know is that the computer claims to have a problem with whatever a DNS is.
Ah, that does make sense.

In that case, I strongly suspect you've got your Vista computer hooked up wrong to the network, since it can't get a connection.

Quote:
Really? Where? We haven't found any options for it, which is again directly related to the fact that Vista hides things.
I don't know how much it hides things, but I have difficulty believing that it's worse than XP.

Quote:
I'd tell you if I knew what a driver was. See, the other computers work without giving us instructions in spanish. They work without complaining about upgrades and drivers and such.
Drivers are pieces of software that tell Windows (or OSX, or Linux, or BSD...) how to use the hardware you've got.

The thing is, drivers need to be made for the operating system you're using. Vista is still reasonably new, so drivers haven't been fine-tuned for it.
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
You know you love it.
Send a message via AIM to Yami

View Posts: 6,884

There are a lot more drivers now then there were 6 months ago that run fine on Vista.

Seriously, just fucking try it. If you don't like it, then tough shit, reformat.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Dog Dog 123 Dog Dog 123 is a female United States Dog Dog 123 is offline
:(
Send a message via AIM to Dog Dog 123 Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Dog 123

View Posts: 8,558

Quote:
Turn off the security **** in Vista. It's not that hard, one check box and a restart later and its fine.
If it's not that hard, will you be kind enough to point to where this checkbox is hiding?

Quote:
I use IE7 on this computer from time to time, and while hardly lightning-fast, it isn't slow, either.
This is IE7. So is the one on Vista. This one works pretty well, except for an occasional frozen page, and it goes much faster then IE7 on the Vista computer. That one has alot more memory then this laptop and more RAM and whatever else, so supposedly it should run faster. Or at least that's how my mind sees it.

Quote:
Also, have you run any spyware checks on your computers? I bet you'll find that the Vista one has the fewest.
I'm not entirely sure what spyware is, but Norton hasn't been complaining to us on any of our computers lately.

Quote:
In that case, I strongly suspect you've got your Vista computer hooked up wrong to the network, since it can't get a connection.
Nope, it's connected. If it wasn't, the little weather sidebar thingy would be complaining. It simply can't find internet pages, on IE or Firefox.

Quote:
If you don't like it, then tough ****, reformat.
Really? I thought it went "If you don't like it, complain until someone smart tells you what to do."

I just find Vista alot harder to work with, and since everything is in different places then it was on XP/98/whatever else, it makes it that much harder to find people to help with all those problems.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If it's not that hard, will you be kind enough to point to where this checkbox is hiding?
Presumably in the Windows Defender area somewhere. I know that there's a toggle for them, though.

Quote:
This is IE7. So is the one on Vista. This one works pretty well, except for an occasional frozen page, and it goes much faster then IE7 on the Vista computer. That one has alot more memory then this laptop and more RAM and whatever else, so supposedly it should run faster. Or at least that's how my mind sees it.
No, you don't need good hardware to browse the internet, they should be about equal.

Quote:
Nope, it's connected. If it wasn't, the little weather sidebar thingy would be complaining. It simply can't find internet pages, on IE or Firefox.
Indeed, which makes me think that you've set your internet up wrong on it.

Quote:
I just find Vista alot harder to work with, and since everything is in different places then it was on XP/98/whatever else, it makes it that much harder to find people to help with all those problems.
Eh, XP was different from 95/98. Significantly so, it took me a few weeks to really get the hang of everything.

#27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Light Spirit

View Posts: 4,727

I upgraded from XP to Vista and it's been mostly fine.
There have been a few hiccups but nothing a Google search can't fix.

I do just about everything you can do on a PC and it runs fine for the most part.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Bipolar Deku Scrub
View Posts: 492

Quote:
In Word, we can never find the right buttons.
Well... Word is part of MS Office. I'm guessing on the vista machine you have Office 2007. That is NOT part of Vista. I also think this move was weird, but there are methods to make the menu like Office 2003(search google).

Quote:
Paint is messed up to the points of giving me a headache.
What exactly is messed up about paint? And does anyone honestly use MS Paint other than out of boredom?

Quote:
It eats internet. That's probably the fault of some security junk, but when internet does load it takes three times as long as my laptop. And because nothing is where it should be, we can never find the thing to make it load faster.
You could try turning off the "automatically detect proxy settings" in your internet options (in IE tools->internet options->connections->lan settings)

Quote:
Another problem was that it ate the cookie menu. Literally. We had to go all the way though the pages of security info before getting the cookie menu working.
Not quite sure what you're talking about here. "Ate" is the technical term, eh?

Quote:
The constant questions are annoying too. If you click on something to tell it to run, it asks you if you're sure. A few seconds later, it asks you again. It stops to ask if you want to run the autorun on a CD when you first put it in. The pop ups are annoying.
In the control panel, go to "user accounts" and turn off "user account control".

BAM no more annoying pop up messages every 5 seconds (I found this very very annoying, but more than easy enough to turn off).

Quote:
Currently, it's completely eaten the internet. It works on the XP computers, and the 98. Internet simply doesn't run on Vista anymore because it ate the DNS.
Need more information. Your settings are wrong (not Vista's fault).

Quote:
Another annoying little feature is that Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't simply bring up the task manager. Instead, it nearly freezes the computer to bring up a window asking what you want to do.
I've got something I want you to learn... ctrl + shift + esc. It'll bring up the task manager for you (it works in windows xp aswell).

Quote:
Long story short, for anything other then Photoshop and full screen programs I'd rather be using the Windows 98, the computer that freezes every five minutes and has too many problems to count. The computer we got with Vista is still shiny and brand new, yet it works terribly. For that I blame Vista.
I use Vista on my laptop, it works great. I have had it for almost a year now. I have had way less problems with it than in the same span of time on Windows XP.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason

View Posts: 9,807

I got Vista the day it came out because I was absolutely sick of how often XP crashed. I have had very little problems since then. Naturally, as an early adopter I faced hardware issues, but by now every single one of them (except one) is fixed. And the one that isn't fixed is for a product by a company well known for, well, not releasing driver updates.

And who the heck said you can't burn DVD's? I don't even think it's possible for an OS to forbid that, in a literal sense.

Vista is a wonderful OS that is leaps and bounds ahead of XP - and, as modern software, it will remain supported for years and years (especially given MS's track record for releasing major OS upgrades). You're much better off buying a Vista computer than sticking XP on it.

Now, if you're running an older machine, just forget Windows altogether, and go with Ubuntu Linux. Fast, efficient, and wonderfully easy to use - and it has virtually no security problems or viruses. But I know this thread isn't about recommending Linux. I'd rather recommend getting a Mac anyway.

Vista, in my experience, is quite secure and far speedier than XP. While I do recommend Vista a thousand times more than I do XP, I also recommend getting a new computer for Vista. Don't install it on some old pile of crap - you won't be doing anything good and it'll only bring you trouble.

Also, Windows 98? Whoever's using it, are you aware that you're using unsupported software that is over ten years old?!

Oh, and if Vega does everything you can do with a PC, then I do everything and a half - believe me, Vista works. For anything you want to do.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 PM
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
View Posts: 1,419

let em summarize this simply
if you're running a system with >= 2GB RAM and just plan on browsing the net etc. VISTA IS DAMNED NICE.
if you're running a POS <1Gb RAM then XP is probably the way to go. Or your pick of linux. Jason said ubuntu. I like ubuntu for the most part but right now I'm on PClinux and I probably like it better, just me though. GNU/Linux is a great platform in and of itself the only thing limiting it is 3rd party support and if you're doing "internet" and not much else it's quite nice.

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,693
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 AM
-
View Posts: 8,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
I use Vista and I don't have any problems.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Mad Scientist
Send a message via AIM to Tirenoth Send a message via Yahoo to Tirenoth Send a message via Skype™ to Tirenoth

View Posts: 1,257

My advice is to stay as far away from Vista as humanly possible. Every time I've used it has result in massive headaches. It's the most difficult OS to write drivers for, so there are hardware and software issues. Other reasons are mainly my preferences and won't affect everyone, but there bloody annoying. The defragmenter only says "Defragmenting hard drive. This will take from a a few minutes to a few hours." It doesn't even give you a progress bar! XP shows you the configuration of your system and tells you what its doing. Vista's overall layout is confusing and a general pain to navigate.

Even though Microsoft will stop supporting XP in a few years, that doesn't mean programs will stop being compatible with it. Programs are still released that can work with Windows 98 and Me. Discontinuation of security updates can be solved by using independent antivirus, antispyware, and antiadware programs, which you should use anyway.

Besides, how can you use a computer that doesn't have pinball?
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Sticking them with the pointy end.
Send a message via AIM to Arcanine Send a message via Skype™ to Arcanine

View Posts: 7,211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I got Vista the day it came out because I was absolutely sick of how often XP crashed. I have had very little problems since then. Naturally, as an early adopter I faced hardware issues, but by now every single one of them (except one) is fixed. And the one that isn't fixed is for a product by a company well known for, well, not releasing driver updates.

And who the heck said you can't burn DVD's? I don't even think it's possible for an OS to forbid that, in a literal sense.

Vista is a wonderful OS that is leaps and bounds ahead of XP - and, as modern software, it will remain supported for years and years (especially given MS's track record for releasing major OS upgrades). You're much better off buying a Vista computer than sticking XP on it.

Now, if you're running an older machine, just forget Windows altogether, and go with Ubuntu Linux. Fast, efficient, and wonderfully easy to use - and it has virtually no security problems or viruses. But I know this thread isn't about recommending Linux. I'd rather recommend getting a Mac anyway.

Vista, in my experience, is quite secure and far speedier than XP. While I do recommend Vista a thousand times more than I do XP, I also recommend getting a new computer for Vista. Don't install it on some old pile of crap - you won't be doing anything good and it'll only bring you trouble.

Also, Windows 98? Whoever's using it, are you aware that you're using unsupported software that is over ten years old?!

Oh, and if Vega does everything you can do with a PC, then I do everything and a half - believe me, Vista works. For anything you want to do.
If my computer hadn't crashed for about a week I would be disagreeing with you completely. XP crashes and I mean it crashes allot.

Vista is about 10x better than XP. Vista just works smoother, and alot faster.

Also XP was released in 2003.... Five years ago. Vista is a great system when you get used to it.

Go for the vista because they probably will not be supporting XP for much longer.

[FORMSPRING] [LAST.FM] [DAILYBOOTH][BOOK OF FACES][BA Charicter]
Besides, society likes to believe that Google seems to know everything, including the meaning to life, the universe, and everything. The answer, perhaps, really is just 42. -Kassi
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarius View Post
If my computer hadn't crashed for about a week I would be disagreeing with you completely. XP crashes and I mean it crashes allot.

Vista is about 10x better than XP. Vista just works smoother, and alot faster.

Also XP was released in 2003.... Five years ago. Vista is a great system when you get used to it.

Go for the vista because they probably will not be supporting XP for much longer.
I posted a link earlier on that stated support would completley stop April 2009. Yet no one seems to read it and assumes XP will be fully supported for years to come.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Sticking them with the pointy end.
Send a message via AIM to Arcanine Send a message via Skype™ to Arcanine

View Posts: 7,211

Well I know that it will not be supporting it for much longer.... that sucks... I will have to get a new computer eventually... So they stop basically when everything goes HD.

[FORMSPRING] [LAST.FM] [DAILYBOOTH][BOOK OF FACES][BA Charicter]
Besides, society likes to believe that Google seems to know everything, including the meaning to life, the universe, and everything. The answer, perhaps, really is just 42. -Kassi
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
The World is Yours!!!
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimbob

View Posts: 5,011

I've been using Vista for about a year now, and the only problems i had with it was the built in virus program (Norton 2007), which was turd and updating it, of which both are sorted out and work perfectly now.

Vista is a great O/S and it will take about a day to get used to it, but you will not regret switching over i haven't.

Facebook : Twitter
Formally known as Jimez
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink92 View Post
My advice is to stay as far away from Vista as humanly possible. Every time I've used it has result in massive headaches. It's the most difficult OS to write drivers for, so there are hardware and software issues. Other reasons are mainly my preferences and won't affect everyone, but there bloody annoying. The defragmenter only says "Defragmenting hard drive. This will take from a a few minutes to a few hours." It doesn't even give you a progress bar! XP shows you the configuration of your system and tells you what its doing. Vista's overall layout is confusing and a general pain to navigate.
Few things here. Vista is not inherently difficult to write drivers for, it just requires drivers that are very different from XP.

As such developers are having trouble getting XP-like performance out of hardware on Vista.

As for the defragmenter, the XP one doesn't tell you how long you have left either, and the progress bar is useless. It stays at 3% for a while, then jumps to 50%, stays there, then, suddenly, 53%, then 75, then 70, then 90, then 95, then 92, then done.

It's almost as if they're using a random number generator to create the percentages.

Quote:
Even though Microsoft will stop supporting XP in a few years,
Later this year, I believe.

Quote:
that doesn't mean programs will stop being compatible with it.
Well, no, but there are programs out there right now that only work in Vista, and that number is only going to go up.

Quote:
Discontinuation of security updates can be solved by using independent antivirus, antispyware, and antiadware programs, which you should use anyway.
Er, no.

Software-level modifications can certainly make an OS much more secure, but it takes changes at the kernel level to make it truly impregnable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarius View Post
I actually haven't found that. It's been at least 6 months since I've had XP crash on me.

Quote:
XP came out in 2001, 7 years ago.

#39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 167

Get XP it is way better than vista and is compatable with more stuff.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Bipolar Deku Scrub
View Posts: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob2720 View Post
I've been using Vista for about a year now, and the only problems i had with it was the built in virus program (Norton 2007), which was turd and updating it, of which both are sorted out and work perfectly now.
Just a little FYI. Norton 2007 doesn't come with Vista. It may have been preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer.

Tags
vista