Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 AM
Screw the rules, I have money!
Send a message via AIM to Hungry Gamer
View Posts: 1,856
USB Connectors vs. Wireless Routers

I finally gotten a Wii the day after Christmas. (YAY) Now I plan to go online with it. Thats where several problems come in. I'm confused as to wether get a wireless router or an official Nintendo USB Connector.

I'm leaning towards the USB Connector. The router seems... difficult. Thing is, is that my Wii is in my room, about 20 or so feet away from the computer, with several walls blocking the way.

I hear a few routers can connect even up and down stairs, however, connecting everything seem to take a bit of work. I'm pretty lazy, and remembering several numbers, setup screens, and everthing else is just unattractive.

I'm also thinking about the price of both. I have no idea how much a router costs, but I'm coming up with more than $20 for a USB connector.

Can anybody help me out?

[SIZE=1]Sig by Wolf_Goddess and Avy by Dark Chi
BA characters Clark and Daruz
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,310
Re: USB Connectors vs. Wireless Routers

Honestly, routers are much more secure, could be beneficial for you in the future (namely, creating a network that would allow to do a multitude of things if you have other computers or if you want to connect possible future purchased Wi-Fi enabled devices to the internet), and are not all that hard to use if you know what you're doing or take the time to look up some things. The average router is around $40. A "working" router is more around $20.

If the price is too much for you and if you just want the simplest and cheapest way to connect the Wii to the internet; then getting the USB Wi-Fi connector would be best.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link View Post
Honestly, routers are much more secure, could be beneficial for you in the future (namely, creating a network that would allow to do a multitude of things if you have other computers or if you want to connect possible future purchased Wi-Fi enabled devices to the internet), and are not all that hard to use if you know what you're doing or take the time to look up some things. The average router is around $40. A "working" router is more around $20.

If the price is too much for you and if you just want the simplest and cheapest way to connect the Wii to the internet; then getting the USB Wi-Fi connector would be best.
...you know, you are exactly right. Thank you. With technology becoming more advance, I may get something that uses a Wi-Fi connection. Is it easy to setup and does the average router get a wide range? Even through closed doors that is.

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Jiizasu Kuraisto
View Posts: 10,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Gamer View Post
...you know, you are exactly right. Thank you. With technology becoming more advance, I may get something that uses a Wi-Fi connection. Is it easy to setup and does the average router get a wide range? Even through closed doors that is.
Well, if it helps, in my school we have wi-fi routers, and we connect through our laptops with closed doors, in all sorts of rooms.

Heck, I even think the school above our ours is using that same wireless connection. Not sure, though.

I've also heard that the USB connector can get terribly overheated, but don't take that for a fact.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zelda4ever View Post
Well, if it helps, in my school we have wi-fi routers, and we connect through our laptops with closed doors, in all sorts of rooms.

Heck, I even think the school above our ours is using that same wireless connection. Not sure, though.

I've also heard that the USB connector can get terribly overheated, but don't take that for a fact.

Yes, that helps, thanks. I also heard about the USB connector getting "warm pretty quick." I plan on keeping it connected continuisly, and a fire is the last thing I need. I made my decision, I'm getting a wireless router. I plan to spend a few points on Super Metroid when it releases on the Virtual Console, so I needed the info. Thanks much.

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
It all depends of the router you get. The average router usually has a sufficient range (it doesn't hurt to ask an employee from the store you'll be buying from about the routers either). A wireless G router should offer plenty of range.

Make sure you don't have anything in the household that uses a 2.4GH frequency; otherwise the router will sometimes have conflict with the other devices (i.e. cordless phones).
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link View Post
It all depends of the router you get. The average router usually has a sufficient range (it doesn't hurt to ask an employee from the store you'll be buying from about the routers either). A wireless G router should offer plenty of range.

Make sure you don't have anything in the household that uses a 2.4GH frequency; otherwise the router will sometimes have conflict with the other devices (i.e. cordless phones).
Well I do have a cordless phone right next to the computer, but would it be that bad?

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Well I do have a cordless phone right next to the computer, but would it be that bad?
Make sure if it's 2.4GHz or not. The router will work, but the cordless phone will give it some interference. If push comes to shove, you might have to buy yourself a 5.8GH cordless phone and replace your 2.4GH phone (that is, if the one you have is that frequency).
Last Edited by Xeno; 12-30-2006 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Spelling error. Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 04:33 AM

Darn... thats exactly what it is. I may have to get a new phone anyway, seeing as how it now gets alot of static, and I don't know how to fix it. Its unfortuate I have that kind of phone.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 AM
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
View Posts: 1,419

I've heard that running an internet connection through USB is typically faster(over short distances)
the difference is minimal though. Don't feel obligated to get or use a router, but if you want that added extra level of control and the extra features go for it, it's always nice to have a hub in your living room(or bedroom)

Quote:
not likely, they make units which plug into computers for additional features so I doubt the possibility of electrostatic interference being of detriment in such a situation.

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Miyamoto: Sell games in Yourope? Wot Yourope?
View Posts: 764

Routers have a big range, but walls are wireless signal eating fiends from hell. I had to move my router, I get a weak connection with 2 walls with a distance of a few meters on my Wii (They ARE thick walls, though), but my computer, with 1 wall in the way and about 10 metres away works at "Very Good" signal, according to my computer.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,891

Do phones really give that much interference? I'm not sure if we have that type of phone, but our old router worked fine. In fact, it worked so well, that I was in the car and almost off of our street and i was still playing on my ds. It died out after we left the street (we have a small street, but for the range the router went was big). I think we had an old d-link router or something.

Anyway, I've heard that the USB connector is faster too, but i've also heard if can get hot, like mentioned. so go with a router.

Tags
connectors, routers, usb, wireless