Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
nighthawkx nighthawkx is offline
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
Join Date: Oct 2006
View Posts: 1,419
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
Nice set. I'm jealous.

How does the new ReadyBoost work? Does it actually help improve system performance?
I've never used it, I had downloaded vista and received a serial as a beta tester but never got around to it. I've since reformatted the drive with it though.

I'm sure it would make a system faster though as response time on flash memory is much faster than that on a hard disk. Remember, latency on a physical drive is measured in milliseconds, latency on a flash drive is measure in nanoseconds.

I'm sure it would help a moderate amount seeing as how aggressive vista is with its memory caching, I'd just being worried about it ruining my flash device as flash memory has a limited read/write lifespan.

also, I've since upped the clock on my system and upped the memory voltage and timings(i learned my particular set uses micron d9 ICs whereas most use elpida)
__________________

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Zeldafan1 Zeldafan1 is offline
Minister of Funk!
Send a message via AIM to Zeldafan1 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeldafan1
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southern Ohio
View Posts: 3,132
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My older Brother
Vista is nothing more than an overhyped POS. Having tested it on all beta releases, and having downloaded the second Release Candidate, I can safely say that, as an IT-literate person, and a seasoned technology student, I'm holding on to my installation of WinXP for a while.
He said, this he's pretty good with computers. So. . .I just decided to post.
__________________


"A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist."- Stewart Alsop


Please PM Blizzaga to be a TP Specialist.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 AM
nighthawkx nighthawkx is offline
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
Join Date: Oct 2006
View Posts: 1,419
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

He is somewhat over-critical but he isn't too far from the truth.
__________________

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 AM
V99 V99 is a male New Zealand V99 is offline
Light Spirit

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
View Posts: 4,727
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Oh well. I could not resist. I've said good-bye to XP, and now use Vista as my main OS.
And so far, I'm pretty impressed.

It does not really feel like I'm using XP anymore, it feels new and fresh.
Here's some quick facts thus far:

-The eye-candy is nice and appealing and can be customized quite easily.

-The Security is very annoying, the User account control is the most damn annoying thing ever. Have to push "Yes I know what this program is" "Yes Allow" everytime you want to change the slightest setting. Thankfully you can turn this pointless service off. It's alot better that way.

-The backward compatibility has been very good so far. Only Nero 7.5 and Sygate Personal Firewall not being able to install correctly. Everything else has worked like a charm. If a program installs correctly but does not work quite right, You can change it's properties and set it to a XP Service Pack 2 emulation. Works perfectly (So far only Need for Speed: Carbon does not work for me, even with XP emulation on)

-The Side bar is very handy, I thought it would be an annoying add-on. But some of the neat gadgets you can get for it makes it very handy and quite fun.

-Only have had it installed for two days and everything is going well...My PC seems to be running faster than it did when I had XP on. Which seems strange, it also copies files across the network about 3Mbs more a second than it did on XP, which is also strange.

But I'm not complaining.

Oh and here's a screenshot:
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago Suburbs/Iowa City
View Posts: 7,608
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V99 View Post
Oh well. I could not resist. I've said good-bye to XP, and now use Vista as my main OS.
And so far, I'm pretty impressed.

It does not really feel like I'm using XP anymore, it feels new and fresh.
Here's some quick facts thus far:

-The eye-candy is nice and appealing and can be customized quite easily.

-The Security is very annoying, the User account control is the most damn annoying thing ever. Have to push "Yes I know what this program is" "Yes Allow" everytime you want to change the slightest setting. Thankfully you can turn this pointless service off. It's alot better that way.

-The backward compatibility has been very good so far. Only Nero 7.5 and Sygate Personal Firewall not being able to install correctly. Everything else has worked like a charm. If a program installs correctly but does not work quite right, You can change it's properties and set it to a XP Service Pack 2 emulation. Works perfectly (So far only Need for Speed: Carbon does not work for me, even with XP emulation on)

-The Side bar is very handy, I thought it would be an annoying add-on. But some of the neat gadgets you can get for it makes it very handy and quite fun.

-Only have had it installed for two days and everything is going well...My PC seems to be running faster than it did when I had XP on. Which seems strange, it also copies files across the network about 3Mbs more a second than it did on XP, which is also strange.

But I'm not complaining.

Oh and here's a screenshot:
I love that background. Does it come as the default?

And are you running Aero? If so, at what resolution on your monitor? (I assume the full 1280x1024 based on that shot.) Is there any slow down with your 6600GT doing normal things, because of it? My laptop will have a native resolution of 1680x1050 running Aero off of a 256MB Go 7600, which I think will do the trick. The high resolution still is a slight worry to me though.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Aerorian Aerorian is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Within Midnight
View Posts: 6,455
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

It still looks more to be an eye-candy software than actually improving things on various aspect. But that could change as MS, again, release newer updates, etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:50 PM
V99 V99 is a male New Zealand V99 is offline
Light Spirit

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
View Posts: 4,727
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
I love that background. Does it come as the default?

And are you running Aero? If so, at what resolution on your monitor? (I assume the full 1280x1024 based on that shot.) Is there any slow down with your 6600GT doing normal things, because of it? My laptop will have a native resolution of 1680x1050 running Aero off of a 256MB Go 7600, which I think will do the trick. The high resolution still is a slight worry to me though.
Yep that background comes default, they've got quite a nice range of backgrounds.
My monitor resolution is 1280x1024, but I've got two monitors running. Therefore it's really 2560x1024. I'm am also running Areo, runs great! I am surprised how smooth it is running. It's been improved quite alot since Beta 2.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-19-2006, 02:48 PM
PhantomHourglas PhantomHourglas is offline
Hero of Time
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyrule
View Posts: 20
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

If you want a complete rundown, look at the Mac OS X operating system on any Mac, choose one. Doesn't matter. Apple even compared the two operating systems. Vista = Mac OS X clone.
Last Edited by PhantomHourglas; 12-21-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
nighthawkx nighthawkx is offline
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
Join Date: Oct 2006
View Posts: 1,419
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V99 View Post
Yep that background comes default, they've got quite a nice range of backgrounds.
My monitor resolution is 1280x1024, but I've got two monitors running. Therefore it's really 2560x1024. I'm am also running Areo, runs great! I am surprised how smooth it is running. It's been improved quite alot since Beta 2.
it's because they use the GPU to render the GUI as opposed to the CPU.

essentially it's a rippoff of apple's implementation turn of the century.
I'm not complaining though in time I'll likely be using vista or something similar.

or at the very least a modified version of XP or 2003 with hacked directX10 support
__________________

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2006, 12:47 AM
V99 V99 is a male New Zealand V99 is offline
Light Spirit

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
View Posts: 4,727
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

lol, looks like I might be out of luck.

Microsoft: Pirated Vista may be useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoworld.com
Microsoft responded Tuesday to reports that said some Web sites have been circulating pirated copies of Vista and Office 2007.

The pirated Vista comes with a product key that users can enter to activate a version of the products on their computers without paying for them, a report on the Web site of The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper said. A product key is a unique serial number tied to each package of a software product.

A second download, called an "activation crack," can then be applied that bypasses the activation process intended to guarantee that the Vista OS being downloaded is legitimate, the Herald reported. Pirated copies of Office 2007 can be downloaded just with the product key with no second activation code required.

But Microsoft said in a prepared statement that those pirated copies of the OS won't work for long.

"The copies available for download are not final code and users should avoid unauthorized copies which could be incomplete or tampered. This unauthorized download relies on the use of pre-RTM [release-to-manufacture] activation keys that will be blocked using Microsoft’s Software Protection Platform. Consequently, these downloads will be of limited value," the statement said.

Microsoft is still looking into reports of pirated versions of Office 2007 and declined further comment.

"Microsoft is happy that customers are eager to begin using Windows Vista," the company said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2006, 01:19 AM
Aerorian Aerorian is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Within Midnight
View Posts: 6,455
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

If only Microsoft, that filthy corporation, can lower the freaking prices of the OS...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2006, 01:22 AM
trinest trinest is a male Australia trinest is offline
trinest.com
Steam ID: trinest
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
View Posts: 2,453
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Been a Beta tester ftw.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Linkofthepast United_States Linkofthepast is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kokiri Forest
View Posts: 79
Re: What Exactly Is New In Vista?

Nothing about Vista impresses me. It's just a spiced up version of XP. I'd rather go with Linux or a Mac, but for the time being, I am stuck with XP Media Center 2005. My laptop rocks and eventually I will install Ubuntu Media Center on it. I am getting sick of Microsoft and all the errors that come with it. However I have to figure out what program will work with my IPOD for Linux.

--Jesse
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vista


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -