Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Maybe I should find you a gun with training wheels
View Posts: 227
Music Writing Programs

Does anybody know of a good musicwriting program that I could buy? I would like a program with all instraments, not a guitar only program like guitar-pro. I would like saxophones to be in it. I've tried Finale Notepad, but I really didn't like it that much. Finally, is there a program with real instrament sounds on it? Realistic sounds are much cooler than midi files. Are there any recommendations?
YuriaTayde-Aquas Metal Guide-SF64-Bossguy...So, yeah... He shoots globs of goo at you... I just don't see how that would help a bunch of monkeys take over the galaxy, unless of course it kills you, then the monkeys win... but in that case, why are you attacking it in the first place?
Quote:
YuriaTayde-Solar Metal Guide-SF64-Bossguy...is one of the more interesting enemies to fight, but again I wonder, what the heck does it hafta do with galactic domination?! Are they gunna build a heat proofe slingshot to send it to Corneria?... Maybe you flew so close to this planet cause you were bored, that makes a little sence I guess.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 520
Re: Music Writing Programs

You're not going to be able to get away from MIDI, as any software synthesizer, no matter how sophisticated, is going to be rooted around a MIDI core. Don't, however, confuse the cheap MIDI synth on your soundcard as being the "sound" of MIDI in general.

The short answer is, there's no really good way to get a "program" that will make realistic instrument sounds pop out of your computer. If you value realism more, use something sample-based, like a soundfont. If you're looking for control, buy a hardware synthesizer - if your DAW is decent, it'll be able to act as a MIDI hardware host.

As for what program to recommend - it really doesn't matter - I'd say go with the one you like the interface of the most, as long as it supports VSTi. Hell, even FL Studio would do you, if you're okay with track-at-a-time recording.

Finally, you may find KVR Audio useful for VSTi's and more detailed information. The forums there are very friendly.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Poignant party pooper
View Posts: 4,758

If you are smart and have a Mac (haha) you would already have the program called Garage Band, which is excellent for music making.

If you have a Mac, use Garage Band, if you don't, get an inexpensive iMac or Mac laptop. That is, if you're casually serious about making great music. If you just want to make little lame jingles then you can get one of those inferior Window's music making programs... but don't say I didn't warn you.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,110

Fruity Loops Studio is rather popular and really easy to use. You can use the demo for free, but buying the program is helpful if you're planning on making more complicated, long songs that take some time to make. You can't save projects in the demo, only export and import certain file types.

Then just search on google or whatever for a site with some good soundfonts.

You'll probably need to find a forum or something where people can help you figure things out. I got FL Studio for video game remixes, so I've joined the vgmix and OCR forums.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeoLink~ View Post
If you have a Mac, use Garage Band, if you don't, get an inexpensive iMac or Mac laptop. That is, if you're casually serious about making great music. If you just want to make little lame jingles then you can get one of those inferior Window's music making programs... but don't say I didn't warn you.
I have to protest that as being completely untrue.
A high powered PC will totally overpower an older Mac in every way when it comes to audio production. The brand of your computer is not an issue. I'd like to see a Mac user with GarageBand compete with a PC user with Cubase. Obviously that's not fair, but the point is, if you have a PC, it'd be cheaper to buy Cubase than buy a Mac - and you'd get a LOT more utility for your dollar.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Poignant party pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloc() View Post
I have to protest that as being completely untrue.
A high powered PC will totally overpower an older Mac in every way when it comes to audio production. The brand of your computer is not an issue. I'd like to see a Mac user with GarageBand compete with a PC user with Cubase. Obviously that's not fair, but the point is, if you have a PC, it'd be cheaper to buy Cubase than buy a Mac - and you'd get a LOT more utility for your dollar.
Bah, if you knew me you would know I'm a Mac fanboy, and I knew someone would be defensive because they think what they use is the best. In other words, I was being sarcastic, keep your shirt on.

But it's been proven before that Mac's are better for media stuff like music, but I'll admit that Window's may have caught up lately.

Anyway, I was just giving him another option.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,456

If you want midi-based composer, you can try Finale 2006. It's easy to use, interface is quite simple, but the instruments are pretty realistic-sounding.

An example of Finale 2006's quality would be this midi I made two days ago. I just record it via .wav format and convert it to .mp3 because some wanted mp3 format.

http://jl32bit.com/datas/users/2-lw_l_02_incomplete.mp3
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 AM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
Bah, if you knew me you would know I'm a Mac fanboy, and I knew someone would be defensive because they think what they use is the best. In other words, I was being sarcastic, keep your shirt on.

But it's been proven before that Mac's are better for media stuff like music, but I'll admit that Window's may have caught up lately.

Anyway, I was just giving him another option.
Of course - Mac's are certainly better for media - but to say that its a better option to invest in a whole new computer rather than just get software for one he already has is kinda crazy.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 02:29 AM
Moop.
View Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
If you want midi-based composer, you can try Finale 2006. It's easy to use, interface is quite simple, but the instruments are pretty realistic-sounding.

An example of Finale 2006's quality would be this midi I made two days ago. I just record it via .wav format and convert it to .mp3 because some wanted mp3 format.

http://jl32bit.com/datas/users/2-lw_l_02_incomplete.mp3
No offense, but that sounds like a polyphonic (Not sure how you spell it) ringtone.

Anyway, Garage band is a great program but all you get is little loops. In other words, once you've used it a lot to make music, you find yourself using the same loops. Unless you get one of the jam packs... or whatever they're called that have more loops. So basicly, it lacks.

What you seem to need is one of those professional music making programs that i would expect to around $500 AUD (Thats around $300 US), probably even more... acctually.

So yeah, unless you find one of those and can afford it. I cant help you.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Light Spirit

Actually, the midi depends on the sound card quality that you have. The same song played in three different computers, all sound different.

And no offense taken. It's a lame composition done hurriedly anyway.
Last Edited by Aerorian; 10-18-2006 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Poignant party pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
No offense, but that sounds like a polyphonic (Not sure how you spell it) ringtone.

Anyway, Garage band is a great program but all you get is little loops. In other words, once you've used it a lot to make music, you find yourself using the same loops. Unless you get one of the jam packs... or whatever they're called that have more loops. So basicly, it lacks.

What you seem to need is one of those professional music making programs that i would expect to around $500 AUD (Thats around $300 US), probably even more... acctually.

So yeah, unless you find one of those and can afford it. I cant help you.
Actually, the loops are only one part of what you can do. You can also make your own loops and also it has a full library of instruments you can use with a MIDI input and edit them with an array of effects. You can also record real instruments and apply those effects on them as well.

Garage Band is more than you think.

Quote:
but to say that its a better option to invest in a whole new computer rather than just get software for one he already has is kinda crazy.
Yeah, duh. I was being sarcastic.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Maybe I should find you a gun with training wheels
View Posts: 227

Lone Wolf-
Now, I have tried Finale Notepad. It was okay but kind of got annoying when trying to change notes or have multiple instraments playing. Is Finale 2006 better than notepad, the demo version? Can you have a song where each instrament is on a different page? With the second question, I mean that I don't like having six instraments on one page. If I wanted to write a song, I'd want to have each instrament on separate pages and still be able to play them at the same time so I could easily follow and individual instrament's part. How is Finale '06?
YuriaTayde-Aquas Metal Guide-SF64-Bossguy...So, yeah... He shoots globs of goo at you... I just don't see how that would help a bunch of monkeys take over the galaxy, unless of course it kills you, then the monkeys win... but in that case, why are you attacking it in the first place?
Quote:
YuriaTayde-Solar Metal Guide-SF64-Bossguy...is one of the more interesting enemies to fight, but again I wonder, what the heck does it hafta do with galactic domination?! Are they gunna build a heat proofe slingshot to send it to Corneria?... Maybe you flew so close to this planet cause you were bored, that makes a little sence I guess.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by link1621 View Post
Lone Wolf-
Now, I have tried Finale Notepad. It was okay but kind of got annoying when trying to change notes or have multiple instraments playing. Is Finale 2006 better than notepad, the demo version? Can you have a song where each instrament is on a different page? With the second question, I mean that I don't like having six instraments on one page. If I wanted to write a song, I'd want to have each instrament on separate pages and still be able to play them at the same time so I could easily follow and individual instrament's part. How is Finale '06?
I'm pretty sure that not too many composers out there will let you have a different instrument on a different page.

Finale 2006 has all the instruments listed on one page going from top to bottom, which then you can scroll to the next page for putting down more notes.

One good thing about Finale 2006 is that it has the Studio view, which you can adjust the volume of your instruments as you see fit while you are doing the playback, as well as, which speakers you want to direct the sounds to - either all the way to the left, or all the way to the right, or somewhere between those two.

2006 is pretty much an upgrade of all the previous versions.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Live. See. Create.
View Posts: 368

Try finaleŠ 2007... I used it, and it is great... Even though it is 650$ It is really worth it. It is really complicated, but after a while you get the hang of it. Just a sugestion: (DO NOT GET BAND IN A BOX)< In my first opereta that< music program overided us, and no one heard us. That program sux, but finale doesn't
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Light Spirit

Is Finale 2007 similiar to 2006 in interface-wise?
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Moop.

Quote:
Actually, the loops are only one part of what you can do. You can also make your own loops and also it has a full library of instruments you can use with a MIDI input and edit them with an array of effects. You can also record real instruments and apply those effects on them as well.

Garage Band is more than you think.
I know you can record your own instruments. But explain how you make your own loops?
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 PM
goes to the mayor
View Posts: 5,430

Use the musical keyboard, write/record something, then copy and paste, repeat and smile.
98% of the teen population is cool, 2% aren't
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Moop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacumgod View Post
Use the musical keyboard, write/record something, then copy and paste, repeat and smile.
True. But, Garage Band is still very limited. Same with every other iLife program. iMovies isnt that great if you want to make a great movie/short film.

All i was trying to say was: Obviously he needs something that isnt as limited. That is all.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Symbiotic in Theory
Send a message via AIM to Epyon Send a message via Yahoo to Epyon
View Posts: 1,377

Guitar Pro 5 has a realistic sound engine(not midi), and has way more than just guitar instruments. You have to write the music in tabs, though.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Poignant party pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I know you can record your own instruments. But explain how you make your own loops?
Simply record a loop-type tune with an instrument from a MIDI controller, then stop recording, then you should be able to just stretch out that tune and poof- your own loop.You might have to edit it a little bit to smooth it out, but it's still your own loop. You might be able to permanently store it in the loop library too. I'm not quite sure about that though, I'll have to look it up.

Tags
music, programs, writing