$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672

View Posts: 8,838
Mice and keyboards

I don't buy mice and keyboards often, I only do so when they're worn out and the time has come to purchase another keyboard and mouse and I'd like a little advice.

Now I'm an old school guy and I just have an innate hatred of wireless mice because of responsiveness and the need to feed it batteries and I've noticed that there are less and less wired choices. Additionally the only wired ones I can find now are USB and not mice and keyboards that connect to their dedicated ports in the tower. I've never had a USB mouse so I'm wondering is there any difference in the responsiveness of a USB connection in comparison to the old style connection? Also do they still make mice and keyboards that connect to their dedicated ports? because its a shame to waste 2 USB ports.

Finally what are good brands for mice and keyboards? I'm currently using a logitech set.

Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713
Re: Mice and keyboards

<andrewhussie> WIRELESS MICE! the solution to a problem that never existed.
<andrewhussie> "this god damn mouse and its lousy 'WIRE' is badly tethering me to the very computer i need to be in close proximity to use regardless"
<andrewhussie> let's make a mouse that 1) can run out of power and 2) have goofy signal issues and then make it so 95% of all mice for sale are like that
<andrewhussie> new idea for cutting edge IO device: it draws a limitless supply of power from the very thing also conducting the data. it is called: A WIRE
<andrewhussie> it turns out "the wire" is an elegant solution to an artificial problem manufactured by fancy men of the future.
<andrewhussie> kind of like buttons are with respect to ubiquitous touchscreen technology. remember buttons? they were great!

there seems to be a lot of debate about whether USB or PS/2 is better for connecting mice and keyboards. I don't think you'd really notice a significant difference though. I'd just go by whatever your computer supports—if you want to leave your USB ports open and you've got PS/2 ports then you might as well get a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. On the other hand, PS/2 might not be supported on newer equipment in the future as it gets phased out for USB.
2 people liked this post: Keith, Panique
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I have done nothing but teleport bread for three days!
Send a message via Skype™ to Keith
Steam ID: Rantick
View Posts: 7,144

I've usually preferred to go for the specific ports, but that's for the sake of organisation and keeping more USBs free. You can never have too many USB ports. But really, just buy whatever is convenient, I've never noticed a difference between the different mouses I've used over the years and that's from a gaming perspective, so it's a lot more noticeable in such a situation.

Luka: slam a bottle of champagne into my arse first
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hveđrungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,252

I just got a pretty cheapo little wireless mouse. It works alright. Of course, i use laptops and dont game.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
March 31st, 2♥11
Send a message via AIM to Glux Send a message via Skype™ to Glux
View Posts: 17,522

Just think, if you get a USB mouse, you won't have to restart your computer after you reconnect it.

EDIT: Apparently they fixed that 20 years ago.

Let's Play Pokémon Colosseum
Last Edited by Glux; 06-01-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I have done nothing but teleport bread for three days!
Send a message via Skype™ to Keith
Steam ID: Rantick
View Posts: 7,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glux View Post
Just think, if you get a USB mouse, you won't have to restart your computer after you reconnect it.

EDIT: Apparently they fixed that 20 years ago.
not for me they didn't

Luka: slam a bottle of champagne into my arse first
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Gentlemen: synchronise your death watches.
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

View Posts: 24,848

I've been using a USB mouse for as long as I can remember, as well as a USB keyboard, and I've never noticed a problem with responsiveness, if it's worth anything!

Razer mice are a little overpriced, but I've always found them pretty nice to use. Nifty features, and great looking hardware. You can probably find the same features on lower-priced mice, but it might be worth looking into.

As far as keyboards go, I'm currently really into mechanical keyboards, which have a fantastic response time. I'm using a USB Filco one right now, but looking to upgrade soon to a Razer Blackwidow. If you're not already looking into mechanical keyboards, I'd definitely suggest to! SteelSeries and Filco both make great ones; Razer's Blackwidow is okay compared to them, but way overpriced (I want it 'cause it's sexy but lol ignore me).

"you're not as bad as everyone says you are."
2 people liked this post: Pietro, Xeno
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Bees. My God.
Send a message via Yahoo to Tesla Send a message via Skype™ to Tesla
Steam ID: hippytesla

View Posts: 5,958

I'm using my Genius Comfy KB-0210 for 7 years now, and it had tons of things spilled in it. It's so easy to type on, too. It's as fresh as the first day. Not looking like it, though

As for mice, Logitech and Genius are always my choices. They last long and are comfy ^^
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,613

Logitech makes some mighty fine mice and keyboards. I've been using the G9x (mouse, $45) and the G15 (keyboard, $55) for around two years now, and I could not be happier (especially with my mouse; maybe my keyboard could use an upgrade).

Spoiler: G9x  

Spoiler: G15  

These peripherals are geared towards "gamers" in mind, so I'm not exactly sure if you'll find usefulness out of such products or not.
Last Edited by Xeno; 06-11-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Panique, Pietro, Tesla
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672

View Posts: 8,838

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I decided to a get a Logitech mouse and keyboard set.

I appreciate the help .
1 person liked this post: Panique
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panique View Post
As far as keyboards go, I'm currently really into mechanical keyboards, which have a fantastic response time. I'm using a USB Filco one right now, but looking to upgrade soon to a Razer Blackwidow. If you're not already looking into mechanical keyboards, I'd definitely suggest to! SteelSeries and Filco both make great ones; Razer's Blackwidow is okay compared to them, but way overpriced (I want it 'cause it's sexy but lol ignore me).
I've been wanting to get a mechanical keyboard for a while now. They look so smokin'. The LCD screen on my G15 is nice, but I can make due without it. I don't really use the macro keys, the multimedia buttons, nor the USB slots (my computer's USB ports are within reaching distance).

A feature that I find almost impossible to live without is back-lighting. So any mechanical keyboards with back-lighting to them are usually on my radar. The Corsair K90 looks pretty sweet in this regard:

(with that aluminum chassis; so sexy)

But I read that not all the keys were mechanical (F keys, Home, End, etc.), which is kind of a bummer.

I heard a rumor that Logitech might be releasing mechanical keyboards this year, so I guess I'll wait and see how things play out.
Last Edited by Xeno; 06-12-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Panique
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Captain Fap
Send a message via ICQ to e_alert Send a message via AIM to e_alert Send a message via Yahoo to e_alert Send a message via Skype™ to e_alert

View Posts: 3,186

It might be a little late, but I'll also jump in and vouch for mechanical keyboards. Right now I'm rockin a Filco like Pani, but I have no plans to change. I actually really like the solid, pseudoretro look and feel of the Filco, so there's no fear of being tempted by sexier keyboards lol. I also took it a step further and got a blank keycap set for it (and yes, everything they say about blank keycaps improving your touch-typing drastically is true).

I do have to admit that the Corsair K90 is pretty damn sexy though. But from what I've read it's fairly common for premium mechanical keyboard makers to not put mechanical keys under every keycap. I noticed it tends to be in clusters based on common keys (WASD, etc), so I guess it's something to look out for if you're on the prowl for a flashy mechanical keyboard.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Gentlemen: synchronise your death watches.
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

View Posts: 24,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
A feature that I find almost impossible to live without is back-lighting. So any mechanical keyboards with back-lighting to them are usually on my radar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_alert View Post
It might be a little late, but I'll also jump in and vouch for mechanical keyboards. Right now I'm rockin a Filco like Pani, but I have no plans to change. I actually really like the solid, pseudoretro look and feel of the Filco, so there's no fear of being tempted by sexier keyboards lol. I also took it a step further and got a blank keycap set for it (and yes, everything they say about blank keycaps improving your touch-typing drastically is true).
My Filco has engraved keycaps, but they're pretty dark and hard to see. I'm pretty good at touch typing, but moving to a smaller keyboard with a slightly different key layout meant that the engraved keycaps did throw me off a bit when I first got this one. I do miss the backlight from my Lycosa.

"you're not as bad as everyone says you are."
Last Edited by Panique; 06-12-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote