$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,126
Updating drivers

Okay, so here's the deal.

I am good with computers but~

One thing about computers I never fully understood how to do is update my drivers. I never really had to except for last summer where I had to update my sound driver, but seeing as I didn't know how to do it myself I had to call Dell Tech Support.

When they helped me, I asked them a follow-up questions about updating drivers( mainly my graphics driver). When to update, how, etc. They told me you don't have to do it much if at all because there is rarely ever a need to.

But recently, I've been getting a little weary. My computer still runs fine, I'm just little weary about if I do or not, not only that, I took a scan on Dell.com and it showed the results of something that maybe seemed as if I may need to update a driver, but I'm not entirely sure. Plus when I try to update my graphics driver for example, it says it is up-to-date...

So what I'm asking is, do you update your drivers? And if so, how? I know it may seem easy as going on the website of the manufacturer to find what you may need, but like I said, that's the one thing I just can't understand.
Last Edited by keyaki; 12-18-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713
Re: Updating drivers

I just assume that if something needs an important driver update, it'll tell me and give me buttons to push.

otherwise I don't worry about it, unless there's a problem.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysis View Post
I just assume that if something needs an important driver update, it'll tell me and give me buttons to push.

otherwise I don't worry about it, unless there's a problem.
If only it were that easy. But that doesn't seem to be the case with my own personal Windows 7 or Windows XP.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Fatrat92
Steam ID: fatrat92
View Posts: 234

The best place to grab drivers is from your computers manufacturer support page. If it is custom built then just use CPU-Z or another program to get the name of the driver and look at the direct site for that specific driver. If you really think is a problem just try to install it.
P.S. Be specific about your computer, check the model number.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrat92 View Post
The best place to grab drivers is from your computers manufacturer support page. If it is custom built then just use CPU-Z or another program to get the name of the driver and look at the direct site for that specific driver. If you really think is a problem just try to install it.
P.S. Be specific about your computer, check the model number.
Believe me, if I could I'd buy a Nvidia GeForce, but my computer is a laptop and as you know, everything is soldered down and the only way for me to get anything new hardware would be to get a new laptop all together.

But Ill try the CPU-Z
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Fatrat92
Steam ID: fatrat92
View Posts: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyaki View Post
Believe me, if I could I'd buy a Nvidia GeForce, but my computer is a laptop and as you know, everything is soldered down and the only way for me to get anything new hardware would be to get a new laptop all together.

But Ill try the CPU-Z
I use a Laptop primarily as well and I have no problem obtaining driver updates. It is just a matter of knowing what is in your machine.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson