Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM
going nowhere, going nowhere
View Posts: 70
Accidentally unplugged my router

So yesterday I abruptly disconnected from my router the cable that connects it to the modem. My internet obviously went down but never came back up when I plugged it back. It simply says that I don't have access, though I get all the signal strength bars.

Now, I did manage to get back online. By turning the power off on my modem and router, then turning it back on, my laptop will connect itself automatically to a network named like my usual one, but with an added "2" in the end. Otherwise it will just connect itself normally, but I get no internet access.

Also interesting to mention is the fact that when connected to the internet through this newly appeared "myusualnetworkname 2" network I can't access the router through that standard "192.x.whatever" address, nor can I connect another laptop to it (I have two, and usually both are on at the same time, connected to the same thing).

So yeah, halp plz. I guess we can start by thinking about what kind of problems could arise from this abrupt unplugging? I realize this is sort of vague and I might never be able to provide some more advanced information, but if anyone has any clue, I appreciate the help.
Last Edited by Gustavo; 11-28-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Fatrat92
View Posts: 234
Re: Accidentally unplugged my router

You could always try doing a hard reset on your router. That should put any settings that may have changed back to default.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 18

Your router was probably reset and yea the settings were probably changed back to default.

Find the IP address of your router (you can usually find it on the makers website), then go to the IP in your browser preferably the computer thats connected to the modem, and you can re set it up.
1 person liked this post: Gustavo
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
going nowhere, going nowhere
View Posts: 70

I did that and problem solved! Thanks.