Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Google+ Invite Thread

On sparks: I found them to be limited... Rather than having individual sparks clutter up the tray on the left, why not just combine all of my sparks in the same way that they combine all of the updates from circles, and then decide which sparks are more important to me based upon how often I +1, and give me the ability to remove content and then have the sparks system figure out what I want to see in the future. For example, in my "Transhumanism" spark, I don't want to see ridiculous videos of preachers giving sermons to old people about evolution and the 'new world order'.

On circles: It'd be nice if I could remove a circle from my main stream. You know how circles are all themed green now? If you remove a circle from your main steam it should turn blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
so it's facebook except no one is on it?
CIRCLES

And just generally a less cluttered and more functional interface. Other than that, yes.

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
TUS: for the time being at least yes.

I'm actually really interested how Google will incorporate things like Public Figures, Artists and other well known users of social networking into Google+.

Myspace has had the best interface for musicians to have a personalised, easy to navigate platform to network with their fans. One can modify their page, make it unique to them, and display media on the page very easily. But it fails at actually fails at passing things onto the user, unless that user is contastly checking the page for updates.

Facebook is the inverse. Everything is the same, no way to stand out, and media is often hidden behind tabs, photos, videos and music are all separated and not easily accessible. I really think that Facebook is neglecting this part of their service, as musicians, film makers, businesses and public figures use Facebook to a great extent. but on the other hand, a status update is instantly passed on to all of your fans, and thus it's like of like an RSS feed. That is Facebook's biggest strength. But in many ways it still sucks compared to Myspace.

Compare the two:
THE ROSE LINE | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

The Rose Line | Facebook

Maybe Google+ has something up it's sleeve? I have yet to see.
Google+ seems even more restricted in that regard than Facebook.

However, Facebook (today) and Google+ both hold a fundamentally different philosophy than MySpace. MySpace focused on bringing individual users to individual user controlled pages. Facebook and Google+ focus on bringing content from other users to individual users. What that means is that a Facebook or G+ user will rarely ever actually visit your, so it doesn't really matter how it looks.

What FB and G+ need, then, is to give users control over their updates. I don't really know how much control either give you, but I know that both allow you to embed youtube videos, which is a start. Support for SoundCloud and other music/video sharing sites would be nice as well.

What would be even better would be the ability to embed AJAX/Flash directly into updates, but that opens up a whole other can of problems.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 AM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
View Posts: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
On sparks: I found them to be limited... Rather than having individual sparks clutter up the tray on the left, why not just combine all of my sparks in the same way that they combine all of the updates from circles, and then decide which sparks are more important to me based upon how often I +1, and give me the ability to remove content and then have the sparks system figure out what I want to see in the future. For example, in my "Transhumanism" spark, I don't want to see ridiculous videos of preachers giving sermons to old people about evolution and the 'new world order'.

On circles: It'd be nice if I could remove a circle from my main stream. You know how circles are all themed green now? If you remove a circle from your main steam it should turn blue.

CIRCLES

And just generally a less cluttered and more functional interface. Other than that, yes.
At minimum Sparks should have an expand/collapse option. I think that the search results in the individual sparks interests will improve as more people use the +1 button to bump relevant results.

Quote:
TUS: for the time being at least yes.

I'm actually really interested how Google will incorporate things like Public Figures, Artists and other well known users of social networking into Google+.

Myspace has had the best interface for musicians to have a personalised, easy to navigate platform to network with their fans. One can modify their page, make it unique to them, and display media on the page very easily. But it fails at actually fails at passing things onto the user, unless that user is contastly checking the page for updates.

Facebook is the inverse. Everything is the same, no way to stand out, and media is often hidden behind tabs, photos, videos and music are all separated and not easily accessible. I really think that Facebook is neglecting this part of their service, as musicians, film makers, businesses and public figures use Facebook to a great extent. but on the other hand, a status update is instantly passed on to all of your fans, and thus it's like of like an RSS feed. That is Facebook's biggest strength. But in many ways it still sucks compared to Myspace.
What would be the purpose of "standing out" on facebook? Facebook is more or less a utility to communicate and share with people you already know. Lately they have added pages that allow musicians/brands/movies/whatever to put out status updates, pictures, videos, tour date schedules, etc. Fans can communicate via discussion boards and the page wall. Myspace is gross. Allowing everyone to customize every individual piece of their page seems gimmicky to me. Myspace has nothing on facebook.
Last Edited by Armillary; 07-11-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 AM
Just your friendly neighbourhood Spidey-Man!
Steam ID: barker09 Wii U ID: Amazin-Spidey
View Posts: 8,023

So when does Google+ go public then? Or is it already?

Swing by the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread and Motivation/Inspiration Thread to keep you on progess with any goals you'd like to accomplish!
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 AM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
So when does Google+ go public then? Or is it already?
July 31st from what I have read.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814

Hmm... I'm an avid Facebook disliker, so I'm looking forward to getting started with Google+, though I'm lacking an invite...

So I'll just... leave this here: segfault.ZU at gmail.com
(And just so people know, it's better not to paste your email address in public places with the proper formatting, ie. name@email.com. Spambots like to crawl through websites looking for email addresses...)
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Tingle's ♥♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 218

I registered for it. Can't wait to try it out. ^_^
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 AM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Quote:
Facebook is a far better medium for bands to share content with users. The news stream is an excellent idea, and I agree overall Facebook is a far better social networking platform for individual users. However as an artist the pages are really rather clunky. Having to sort through tabs to find media is not helpful. On a MySpace, the music player was visible all on the front page, as well as tour dates, and embedded videos. On Facebook one has to sort through the band's Wall, Info page, Video page and Band Page (for music).

Like I said previously, band's have an identity, and when it comes to the Internet, it is too expensive for most to have their own website. With MySpace dead, Facebook is now their webpage. It is their online identity now, the place that they refer their fans to, and as such it is very helpful for them to be able to customise the features of the page, in a more varied way that is currently available. Enough to stand out enough from each other.

I'm not saying that MySpace is better, but Facebook certainly is missing alot of features and indeed just general thought when it comes to public figures, musicians, film studios and artists to share via their platform.
I am aware of the "history" of Myspace. It just really never appealed to me. I enjoy the clean layout of the facebook pages. The tabs keep everything organized.

Facebook is not really organized to promote people to discover new music to listen to, products to buy, or movies to watch. It is more a utility to share the music you listen to, the products you buy, and the movies you watch with your immediate social network.

I honestly don't think facebook is interested in becoming a platform for indie bands/movies/people to promote themselves. There are plenty of alternate places for you to "refer your fans to."
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 AM
View Posts: 635
Smile

@AzrealBlack
Could you send me an invite please? My cousin might not be able to.
shahryar1999 @ hotmail.com
Just remove the spaces.

Signatures by datadayne, Happy Mask Salesman, Caleb, IGNIS and PaperPrince
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,450

hey ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, send me a mother♥♥♥♥ing invite.

and you can find out my email for your ♥♥♥♥ing self.
2 people liked this post: Big Macintosh, Coconut Water
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Smile

Quote:
...you were polite.
So, there you go (:
Thank you!
Now I just need to get used to it and I can start sending invites.

Do you want to help me make this a invite thread? If not then its okay.

Last Edited by shaymin1; 07-11-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM

In the end, I was never too fond of Facebook. It would be nice for a change to try out Google+, having said that, if anyone wants to invite me here's my email: brettbarker@hotmail.ca

Swing by the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread and Motivation/Inspiration Thread to keep you on progess with any goals you'd like to accomplish!
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
In the end, I was never too fond of Facebook. It would be nice for a change to try out Google+, having said that, if anyone wants to invite me here's my email: brettbarker@hotmail.ca
You have now been invited.

#33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
do you really think this is a joke
Send a message via Skype™ to kezzer
View Posts: 1,295

Ooh I want in on this.
I am very interested in Google+, especially since I'm so sick of FB I actually deleted my account. (Plus, my "friends" on that site were making me give up on humanity, but that's off topic.)

What I'm worried about, though, is who is gonna be on it? Like really. I'm scared I'll get it and just be alone.

Anyway, I'd love to try it out. Could anyone here send me an invite? For mackenziemevans @ gmail.com.
Yeah I did the spaces, y'all got me paranoid of the spambots.

The DJ in my head never stops playing...
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer View Post
Ooh I want in on this.
I am very interested in Google+, especially since I'm so sick of FB I actually deleted my account. (Plus, my "friends" on that site were making me give up on humanity, but that's off topic.)

What I'm worried about, though, is who is gonna be on it? Like really. I'm scared I'll get it and just be alone.

Anyway, I'd love to try it out. Could anyone here send me an invite? For mackenziemevans @ gmail.com.
Yeah I did the spaces, y'all got me paranoid of the spambots.
Your now invited.

#35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Steam ID: xlakitu Wii U ID: Nicolini
View Posts: 2,499

Got it today and based on what I've seen, it looks pretty neat. I could see myself using it instead of Facebook, but there are far too few people I know there. Ultimately, it will come down to whether or not everyone else will move over. I especially like the "Sparks" feature - A quick search on Nintendo, save it to the Sparks bar and with one click I can get the latest news on Nintendo!
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Poignant party pooper
View Posts: 4,758

Social networks are what you make of them. If you're sick of Facebook because your friends on there annoy you, well, delete them or put them in your limited profile. You can't really blame a site when it's your interactions on it that frustrate you.
Also...
Google's stupid for doing the beta thing again like they always do. There isn't going to be as big of a hype about it when it's out of the invite only stage and no one will care anymore. It'll fail and Facebook will just take the good ideas from it.
Just guessing.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,371

At the end of the day, people are attracted to content.

In the case of social network sites, the "content" is "people". Facebook simply has more of em.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Not that I like Farmville, but that's a huuuge reason why people are on Facebook these days. Google+ might have to do something like that to attract more.

???

#39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM

I made a Zelda Universe circle. Still trying to figure out the site... Wouldn't mind converting to Google+ eventually and drop my facebook account all together.

#40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

If you guys want to use the chat function, you gotta set it up by clicking the arrow in the lower left corner.

???

Tags
alternative, facebook, google, google+, invite