Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Viajero de la Galaxia Viajero de la Galaxia is a male United States Viajero de la Galaxia is online now
Joe

View Posts: 2,605
17.8 Gbps HDMI cable

The title is referring to a 17.8 Gbps HDMI cable I found at Best Buy yesterday, and it made me wonder if it's necessary.

What are the benefits to having an HDMI cable with the highest bandwidth?

I know that HDMI doesn't compress video/audio, so you need a cable with a high transfer rate. But is there a threshold where very high transfer rates are not needed?

Also, I remember researching HDMI for my CET class, and came across something that said one of the pins on an HDMI cable is dedicated to Ethernet connectivity. What's the purpose of Ethernet connectivity if I'm using HDMI-to-HDMI from my TV to the game console?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,045
Re: 17.8 Gbps HDMI cable

Don't buy HDMI cables from Best Buy, Future Shop, Circuit City, or any other big-box store. They charge you well over 1000% the actual price.

Also, the HDMI standard has a bandwidth of 10.2Gbps (1.3GBps) which means that that packaging was lying through its teeth or giving a completely irrelevant number.

Finally, on that front, any HDMI cable is going to be as good as any other, with the exception of incredibly cheap ones. It's a wire. It's not hard to make.

Anywho, on to bandwidth needed: 1080p uncompressed video requires 36MBit/s (4.5MB/s) throughput, with 3D potentially requiring double that (depending on method used.)

So standard Hi-Def doesn't need that kind of throughput.

However, HDMI is designed to be both future-proof and universal. I can, in theory, plug any HDMI device into any other and have them able to talk to each other. Rather like USB. So it's not just about audio/video. (By way of example: I can currently plug my laptop into my TV. My laptop will immediately figure out the TV's refresh rate and resolution and then output in that format for the TV to display. That's much harder to do with composite video.)

As for ethernet, that's to allow things like your Blu-Ray player connecting to the internet to download the latest features.

It's a new standard, currently not being used at anywhere near its full potential, but in a rare example of foresight it was designed to do far more than it currently does.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 01-22-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Viajero de la Galaxia Viajero de la Galaxia is a male United States Viajero de la Galaxia is online now
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
As for ethernet, that's to allow things like your Blu-Ray player connecting to the internet to download the latest features.
Blu-Ray players can't do that over a wireless connection to a router?
Last Edited by Viajero de la Galaxia; 01-22-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 PM
tell me what it takes to be number one
View Posts: 16,114

Dude, do NOT pay more than $10 for an HDMI cable. And do NOT buy one from Best Buy.

Like John said, it's just a wire. Things like material and gas-injected wires don't matter when it comes to choosing one.

Just get onto Amazon, find a cheap one, and buy.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Assange View Post
Blu-Ray players can't do that over a wireless connection to a router?
Depends on the player, but not everyone has wireless routers, wireless is much slower than wired (a big issue with uncompressed video), and a wifi card costs far more to add to a product than an ethernet one. Wireless networks are also far more prone to congestion and interference than wired ones, leading to even slower transfer rates.

A 1Gbps ethernet line between two computers can expect a pretty high throughput (I wanna say 800Mbps at least) while the fastest wireless can expect is well under 1/20th that.

Add the security problems wireless can have (a wireless card has to be attached to a CPU capable of doing on-the-fly encryption and decryption) and wired makes much more sense for most devices.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 01-22-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Depends on the player, but not everyone has wireless routers, wireless is much slower than wired (a big issue with uncompressed video), and a wifi card costs far more to add to a product than an ethernet one. Wireless networks are also far more prone to congestion and interference than wired ones, leading to even slower transfer rates.

A 1Gbps ethernet line between two computers can expect a pretty high throughput (I wanna say 800Mbps at least) while the fastest wireless can expect is well under 1/20th that.

Add the security problems wireless can have (a wireless card has to be attached to a CPU capable of doing on-the-fly encryption and decryption) and wired makes much more sense for most devices.
A lot of my friends still don't use wireless routers, so you are right about the absence of wireless in many homes.

Maybe 802.11n could handle the throughput, it's rated at 600 Mbps and it doesn't operate in the 2.4 GHz band.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the security issue. A cipher on the CPU seems like too much work.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Sapere aude
View Posts: 5,396

Stay away from stores that sell you HDMI cables. My father works with DirecTV, he gets as many as he needs for free, basically. It's just a cable.

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -