Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#101 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Oni-Tenshi Link Oni-Tenshi Link is a male United States Oni-Tenshi Link is offline
Kokiri
View Posts: 84
Re: Prisoners, right to vote

I think it should depend on what they did. For instance theft should be able to vote but (intentional) murder or worse should be stripped of they're rights.
  #102 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Well, I don't think any journalism news network really claims allegiances to partisan views, or else they wouldn't be a journalism establishment, just political entertainment, which is the only thing Bill O. is good for.
The networks themselves, no, but the newscasters and hosts sometimes do.

Quote:
For me this is how it works, yes. I can't speak for other people, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Apparently not, as you still casually break federal and state laws.

Not that this is necessarily bad, just that the actions of the state haven't been successful in reforming you.

Quote:
yes.
So now it is detrimental, for society is paying for a system which often makes the individual worse.

Quote:
Fun fact: serious or "smart" criminals will often scout out a house for days or week sbefore robbing it. The prime reasoning? to make sure there are no firearms in the house.
Not exactly state-punishment, but criminals aren't dumb.
It will never be 100% effective, but it least draws a line in the sand between the petty thieves and the serious business ones.
And they aren't deterred by retribution.

Quote:
Is it?
Er, well, no, I wouldn't say it's IMPOSSIBLE, though I would say that it's impossible ONLY through social reform. Now, through technology it might be possible.

Quote:
What is your favorite medium of entertainment?
Vidja games.

Quote:
mathematical fallacy.
Depends on how you define devision by zero.

Quote:
Yes you can. I do it quite frequently these days.
You can't accurately.

Quote:
Because the actions they perform are considered inappropriate at the time. But I think the more distinguished crowd would say because his intentions were not pure, or some rot like that.

Kill a man on the street and you're a murderer.
Kill several men on the field of battle and you are a war hero.
Kill an entire race and you are now a war criminal.
So their actions were very much in the ways of humanity- perhaps we should recognize this, rather than demonizing them.

'Let he who is without sin throw the first stone', or something along those lines.

Quote:
sorry, what should I have said instead?
Society.

Quote:
My own experiences.
Anecdotal evidence isn't convincing.
  #103 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
strummin on a streetlight
3DS ID: 3626-0056-0517
View Posts: 4,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
The networks themselves, no, but the newscasters and hosts sometimes do.
oh, ok.

Quote:
Apparently not, as you still casually break federal and state laws.

Not that this is necessarily bad, just that the actions of the state haven't been successful in reforming you.
well, I never went to jail for smoking weed. So, technically they haven't been through "reformation" yet.

A friend of mine has the reputation of being one of the best street racers in the KC metro area. (she's paid money to race other people's vipers, camaro's, mustangs, vipers, McClarren's, Ferrari's, etc....and yes she has raced all of those cars) She's been sent to jail several times for it and she still races.
She got in a wreck and almost died and was back behind the wheel two weeks later.
So she hasn't been reformed either.
I went to jail for less exciting reasons, but it did reform me a bit.
I don't get pulled over anymore.

Quote:
So now it is detrimental, for society is paying for a system which often makes the individual worse.
but they are paying for individuals who are harmful to society to be kept separate from the collective, so it's a trade-off you see.

well, earlier I wasn't talking about state retribution, Iwas talking about the owner of a house whipping out his ak-47 and mowing the robber down on his way through the door.

Quote:
Er, well, no, I wouldn't say it's IMPOSSIBLE, though I would say that it's impossible ONLY through social reform. Now, through technology it might be possible.
huh, that's interesting. You sound like a friend of mine. He has said similar things before.

Quote:
Vidja games.
woot.

Quote:
Depends on how you define devision by zero.
considering there is a 0 in the numerator I'm gonna have to say that since happiness is an emotional construct arbitrarily deigned upon things by sentient beings that since there are no sentient forms left then there is no happiness left. Thus nothing is happy anymoar. Then again nothing is sad either. Just is.

Quote:
You can't accurately.
I have psychic powers.

Quote:
So their actions were very much in the ways of humanity- perhaps we should recognize this, rather than demonizing them.

'Let he who is without sin throw the first stone', or something along those lines.
*me throws a rock*
or perhaps we should begin demonizing war efforts.

Quote:
Society
ok.

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence isn't convincing.
perhaps not for you. but it still gives me some credence of credentials on the matter.

Last Edited by era; 09-06-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
prisoners, vote