Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Lehran Lehran is a male United States Lehran is offline
Valar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Valinor (The Undying Lands)
View Posts: 950
Your Stance on Death

The earliest thread I found was created more than a year ago. I figured it would be okay to make this one.

Are you afraid of death and why/why not, and do you believe in an afterlife?
What opinions people have is what they have. Don't argue rudely. Thanks!
__________________
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Flames of Valor Flames of Valor is a male United States Flames of Valor is offline
Sapere aude
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: America
View Posts: 5,312
Re: Your Stance on Death

Remember what it was like before you were born? Exactly.
__________________
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Dayman Dayman is a male United States Dayman is offline
Fighter of the Nightman.
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home of the 2012 NBA Champs.
View Posts: 8,543
Re: Your Stance on Death

No, because there is no use worrying about the inevitable, its better to enjoy your life then to worry about your death.
__________________
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Cukeman Cukeman is a male United States Cukeman is offline
Hi! I'm Cukeman!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyrule Field
View Posts: 4,178
Re: Your Stance on Death

The afterlife is what gives meaning to our first physical life
__________________
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM
King Kay King Kay is a male United States King Kay is offline
♫ It's the end of the world as we know it! ♫
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alpoko
View Posts: 9,440
Re: Your Stance on Death

I like to think that everything new is made up of everything else that is gone. When I die, I will become parts of a lot of different things.
Ever read the ending of The Amber Spyglass? Yeah. Like that.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Durga Durga is offline
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pekopon
View Posts: 9,614
Re: Your Stance on Death

Death is inevitable and will never be conquered.

I do believe in some sort of heaven existing, a place where people go after leaving this world.
__________________

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Viral Maze Viral Maze is a male Canada Viral Maze is offline
Gerudo Thief
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CanadaLand
View Posts: 134
Re: Your Stance on Death

I remember reading something that dealt with death a while back - a philosophical piece. It said something along the lines of what Flames of Valor stated, that why should you be afraid of dying or of death. Were you afraid before you born?
As for me, I'm not afraid of dying or death. It'll come when it comes.
'Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp because dawn has come.' - Rabindranath Tagore
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 PM
forte Morocco forte is offline
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: space time
View Posts: 14,422
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Of course it could be. Death is determined by our genes; with proper manipulation, we could remove that trait.

Or, once our technology becomes advanced enough, we could preserve our minds with the proper machinery and maintenence. Possibly through the use of artificial bodies, or simply "brains in vats."
I thought you died due to dying cells, I believe they begin reproducing more slowly at a certain time of your life. I was unaware that it was a trait.

How can we preserve what we do not know? Define to me, what the mind is. Begin with the basics please, is it physical or non-physical?
__________________
IGN - Maeby | FC - 5215 1135 7950

  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Bradapalooza Turkey Bradapalooza is offline
I am a Flower.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Republic of Turkey
View Posts: 1,231
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
I thought you died due to dying cells, I believe they begin reproducing more slowly at a certain time of your life. I was unaware that it was a trait.

How can we preserve what we do not know? Define to me, what the mind is. Begin with the basics please, is it physical or non-physical?
That is because you are correct and he misread/made stuff up.

No, I am not afraid to die. I figure I will die quickly in some weird way before it gets old and painful to live and I believe in an afterlife. No worries here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike
Because I have a penis and due to this fact I am a person.

Avatar by Me
Signature by Me

Molk
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM
AzureHeart AzureHeart is a male United States AzureHeart is offline
We live to make the impossible possible.
Join Date: May 2008
View Posts: 310
Re: Your Stance on Death

I'm not so much as afraid to die as I am curious on what death holds.

I believe that there is, in fact, something that happens to you after you die, but, I don't understand how people can be so sure that it is a "heaven" or "hell"... There's millions upon millions of religions; what are the chances of the religion you follow being the "correct one"?

For this reason, among others, I am atheist. No, not because I worship the devil, don't believe in a higher being, or whatever. I choose to remain atheist because I do not believe any one single religion is correct. Just look at Christianity - all it is is scrapped ideas of other religions. You tell me how that's going to be accurate.
__________________
Last Edited by AzureHeart; 08-21-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason:
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM
John John is a male Canada John is online now
PReSEnT DaY... PReSEnT TImE! HAhAHahAha!
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 21,303
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cukeman View Post
The afterlife is what gives meaning to our first physical life
I don't understand this at all.
If there's an afterlife then surely the present life means nothing at all, other than as a way to score points that can be spent after death.
__________________
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
maloe Sweden maloe is offline
always willing to stand corrected

Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 17,461
Re: Your Stance on Death

Yeah, life as we know it now, is just the time period you use to see how many tickets you can win, and when you die, depending on the amount of tickets you won during your first life, you can get some pretty sweet stuff in the afterlife. This going a long an arcade kind of mindset. P;

Okay, seriously, death is a pretty natural thing. I find it doesn't scare you if you understand it, may that be religious or not. Personally, I believe that we'll die, be buried in our graves, and then when Jesus comes again, we'll go to Heaven. People of other religious beliefs think differently, etc, etc.

I don't know for a fact that my belief will be true, but it's a comforting thought to have.
Last Edited by maloe; 08-21-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason:
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Aurelia Aurelia is a male Germany Aurelia is offline
Sage ja, Zu der Einsamkeit, die sich in deiner Seele qušlt
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurelia

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: America
View Posts: 10,329
Re: Your Stance on Death

Meh, just live as long as you can.
I'm planing to live for a while now, even though I'm 15. x3
__________________



siggie made by various <3

R.I.P. Nina
March 14th 1995- November 25th 2011
/ My Art Thread
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 PM
3heartchallenge 3heartchallenge is a male 3heartchallenge is offline
Gerudo Thief
Join Date: Aug 2009
View Posts: 118
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Of course it could be. Death is determined by our genes; with proper manipulation, we could remove that trait.

Or, once our technology becomes advanced enough, we could preserve our minds with the proper machinery and maintenence. Possibly through the use of artificial bodies, or simply "brains in vats."
Let's consider the first statement to be true.
Even if we could alter our genes as to not grow or die, then there's the matter of accidents, there's the matter of running out of food (we definitely need it if we want to be able to function, since it's our source of energy), and there's the matter of entropy (Energy will eventually not be "usable energy")
So if one single person could live forever, it would violate laws of physics.
Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a discussion of "is death inevitable", since it's not what the author intended it to be.

The second point I won't argue as not possible. However, would you say you live forever if you made a young clone of yourself every 20 years? or are they new persons?
Even if all your processes can be turned to a machine, you YOURSELF will eventually die, which brings us to the original question "are you afraid of it?"

I myself have mixed feelings every now and then.
Sometimes I am comforted by death, thinking that eventually I'll have no more worries.
Other times it pushes me to want to excel at whatever I do. And very often, I have a selfish depressing feeling (though not scared), of why should I die? There's so much I could do if I didn't.

Just different things I think whenever I ponder on the subject.

Also, I do like to believe in an afterlife. Everything I know and trust tells me otherwise, but I like to believe in it.
Last Edited by 3heartchallenge; 08-21-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason:
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Sollux Sollux is a male Israel Sollux is offline
but it's 0k, i'm 0k with that t00.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Brains and Fire
View Posts: 4,681
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Of course it could be. Death is determined by our genes; with proper manipulation, we could remove that trait.

Or, once our technology becomes advanced enough, we could preserve our minds with the proper machinery and maintenence. Possibly through the use of artificial bodies, or simply "brains in vats."
What about over crowding?
__________________
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Dayman Dayman is a male United States Dayman is offline
Fighter of the Nightman.
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home of the 2012 NBA Champs.
View Posts: 8,543
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Of course it could be. Death is determined by our genes; with proper manipulation, we could remove that trait.

Or, once our technology becomes advanced enough, we could preserve our minds with the proper machinery and maintenence. Possibly through the use of artificial bodies, or simply "brains in vats."
That sounds an awful lot like being hooked up to a life support system.
__________________
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Magnus the true Magnus the true is a male United States Magnus the true is offline
Mogma
Send a message via Skype™ to Magnus the true
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In your nightmares
View Posts: 178
Re: Your Stance on Death

I am afraid of death every one is dispite how much they say thier not. Death is what drives humanity, it's what shapes us and leads us.

I am catholic, I belive in god and heaven. Even if it can't be proven, it's some thing to help me. It conforts me to know that some one or something grate cares for me and is thier for me at any time I need it.Also the thought of my good deeds will be rewarded in the after life, helps me be a better person.
__________________
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Lunchbox* Czech_Republic Lunchbox* is offline
Poprocks*
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: You need to wake up.
View Posts: 16,241
Re: Your Stance on Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehran View Post
The earliest thread I found was created more than a year ago. I figured it would be okay to make this one.

Are you afraid of death and why/why not, and do you believe in an afterlife?
What opinions people have is what they have. Don't argue rudely. Thanks!
cough cough Are you scared to die? cough cough.
__________________
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 AM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,336
Re: Your Stance on Death

Opposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Old Man View Post
That sounds an awful lot like being hooked up to a life support system.
Yes, an extremely futuristic and perfected life support system, implemented with some technologies you wouldn't exactly associate with 'life support', such as nanorobotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed View Post
What about over crowding?
As life expectancy increases, birth rates decrease. Besides, we're not overcrowded. The entire human population could fit comfortably within the state of Texas. We aren't even to the point of living in vertical cities yet.
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Last Edited by 8bit; 08-22-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason:
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 AM
SkyDragon SkyDragon is a male United States SkyDragon is offline
RUMBLEROAR!!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: A yellow submarine
View Posts: 651
Re: Your Stance on Death

I don't have to worry about death, because Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior, and I know that I'm going to Heaven. JESUS ROCKS! And the only way to get to Heaven is to believe in Jesus. Everyone who doesn't goes to Hell.
__________________

That was your last highly improbable judo manuver!

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light."

My RP Characters
Felix Amburg
Last Edited by SkyDragon; 08-22-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason:
Closed Thread

Tags
death, stance


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -