Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 521
Re: Your Stance on Death

^I am afraid that your comment regarding the world being better off if everyone vanished still doesnt stack up in my mind, despite taking into account the content of your latter post. Surely it's prudent to take the chance of human success as a whole, if we give up now, the outcome you seem to expect will only come quicker.
Last Edited by Hyperactivity; 08-25-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason:
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

It's something I worry about when I've been up too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDragon View Post
And the only way to get to Heaven is to believe in Jesus. Everyone who doesn't goes to Hell.
Well, guess what? ♥♥♥♥ you too, and have a nice day. You say I go to hell, I tell you to ♥♥♥♥ off - it's really simple.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Quod tu es, ego fui; quod nunc sum, et tu eris
View Posts: 6,192

I think humanity lost its right to a second chance when they dropped the atomic bomb.

"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

I'm sorry but you cannot let hope blind logic. We all have capacity for foresight do we not? Am I overestimating everyone by believing that? Am I underestimating myself?

I don't see how difficult it is to see where things will go and what will happen.

What hope can I have? Humanity hasn't changed its ways for millenia. I only know that change is quickly becoming necessary if we wish to continue on as a species, we can no longer afford petty squabbles, we are not fighting with bone spears and stone slingshots anymore.

We can wipe out all life on this planet if we wished. We can do it accidently.

You tell me where the hope is? You tell me. You look at the world as a whole, and you tell me where is love and where is peace? Where is global cooperation? This damned country can't even get along on an internal basis.

Ангелы и демоны кружили надо мной
Рассекали тернии и млечные пути
Не знает счастья только тот,
Кто его зова понять не смог...

#44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I used to be "zeldaduderox"
Send a message via AIM to Nullatrum Send a message via Skype™ to Nullatrum
View Posts: 1,176

Death is not an enemy, it is a sister. And I believe in Heaven and Hell as I am Christian.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
HAPPY MASK MAN HAPPY MASK MAN is a male United Kingdom HAPPY MASK MAN is offline
Is anyone going to buy any of these masks?! this bag is REALLY heavy!!
View Posts: 439

I am not afraid of death as I am a very religious Muslim, I respect everyone elses faiths and beliefs but I will face death head on as it is simple and nothing to be afraid of. Everyone dies and no one escapes death, eventually death will catch up to you wherever you are so theres no point in being scared of it. have a good day/night wherever you are

Thanks to DaltonR6 for this sick sig!
much respect!
Last Edited by HAPPY MASK MAN; 08-25-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason:
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Psalm 23:4 says
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldaduderox View Post
Psalm 23:4 says
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
So without that comfort you would fear death. How did humanity become so co-dependent?

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM

^Without that comfort there would be nothing to fear, as there would be nothing.
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not drunk, I'm Scottish!
View Posts: 413

Fearing death is irrelevant in my world, it will come whether I ask it to or not and I see no reason to fear it. I would not put my lack of fear of death down to religious reasons as I don’t really believe in an afterlife (especially not an eternal one) but more down to the fact I find what’s going on here and now to be more important. If something is inevitable then I will face it by being trú to myself and my beliefs, not by crying in a corner hoping it will go away or thinking “what’s the point” as they are stances that do take the point out of life in my opinion.

"You will be paid for like any other free man... You will be paid for in blood"
-Njal's Saga
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Red Dingo
View Posts: 1,306

Anann, you are just adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anann View Post
Hostility is widespread. Hate is everywhere. The internet is not full of acceptance. Before you could delude yourself into believing the world was not full of hate and bigotry, now with the internet such a delusion is impossible, unless you avoid contact with the internet.
And now that we are no longer capable of such self delusion, maybe we can try to change that.

Quote:
I am talking about the entire human race. Any outside observer would want nothing to do with us.
That's presuming that the observer is something better than human or someone who thinks like yourself?

Quote:
But as a whole, we are nothing but primitive warmongers. I'm not saying it is your fault or my fault, but I do say that we can do nothing about it as individuals.

Our current course leads to destruction. There needs to be a new beginning. A radical altering.
As individuals, we can contribute to the greater goal of change. People who cooperate are far more likely to survive. And the quality of cooperation depends on the trust between individuals. It is compassion that fosters this trust.

Quote:
I think humanity lost its right to a second chance when they dropped the atomic bomb.

If we're going by that fridge logic, humanity lost its right to a second chance even before that.

Quote:
I'm sorry but you cannot let hope blind logic. We all have capacity for foresight do we not? Am I overestimating everyone by believing that? Am I underestimating myself?

I don't see how difficult it is to see where things will go and what will happen.

What hope can I have? Humanity hasn't changed its ways for millenia. I only know that change is quickly becoming necessary if we wish to continue on as a species, we can no longer afford petty squabbles, we are not fighting with bone spears and stone slingshots anymore.

You tell me where the hope is? You tell me. You look at the world as a whole, and you tell me where is love and where is peace? Where is global cooperation? This damned country can't even get along on an internal basis.
Well, one can either sit and ***** or try to act and do something about our woes.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Sheikah
View Posts: 521

Quote:
I'm sorry but you cannot let hope blind logic.
Actually, I was questioning the logic of your response. As long as humanity can achieve things, I can't comprehend the comment of yours I took issue with. Surely you agree that we should attempt to make the world better despite negative expectations or scenarios.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 AM
Goron
View Posts: 278

Quote:

Ouch. a) You seem to imply that your foresight is the one and only rightness, and if we don't have it, we're kinda stupid.

Hmm. That seems a little arrogant to me, but hey? I admitted it myself - I'm dumb, so who am I to talk?

b) I'm not sure whether you're making an inherent contradiction in making recommendations for how we should live and advance as a race, whilst simultaneously advocating that we all be incinerated. Sorry.

~read~

Caramelldansen!
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 AM

I'm saying I don't understand why so many people lack foresight. I never claimed I knew the ultimate future, only the possible ones.

Too many seem blind to this.

Individuals cannot make a difference, not a big enough one. You can change each other's lives, but you can't make a dent in the world. The world needs to change, but we can't even change this country without a widespread rebellion, and that will never happen, since we don't have the arms for it, how are we to change the world?

Yes you present logic Dingo, but I have long ago seen that humanity is not a logical species, they work off of avarice and other petty emotions and desires. Too few care about the survival of everyone and too many care only about the survival of self.

The world is in the hands of corporations now, and they don't care if they destroy the world, as long as they make another dollar in the process.

Where is foresight there? Who gives a ♥♥♥♥ about the end of fiscal year profits, if the world will be destroyed in another 50 or so years?(not literal) Far too many it would seem.

It is nothing but short sighted and selfish, this world is not yours or mine, if the people alive now destroy it, there will be no people who come after. Where is the progress if everyone ends up dead?

Where is the international consortium of progress? Where is the effort? I look around and all I see is more war, and more death, and more hatred.

Love exists only on a small scale, if love and hate are equals, where is the global love? Where is the cooperation? Where is the difference? A single act of hate can destroy so much, and cause ripples in this world. No such act of love can even come close.

Last Edited by Anann; 08-27-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason:
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 AM

I know eutopia is a myth.

The point is that humanity is far too dependant on war.

Do the masses really know what is good for them? I wager they do not. Humans tend to be very stupid in masses.

The bottom line is that there aren't that many intelligent people out there, bring humans together in large quantities and they get lost in the crowd.

We aren't making enough progress. All it takes is one act of hate to set us back.

Progress shouldn't be such a struggle.

You would be hard pressed to find any global interest that wasn't centered on making a buck.

This world can be destroyed easily now. You might have been able to use your argument 100 years ago, but now, devastation is just a button push away.

And seriously, laughing my ♥♥♥♥ing ass off in my mind.
Colonizing other worlds? Now THAT is idealistic. We don't have enough cooperation for such an undertaking.

#55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM

It definitely should be primary focus, however logic tells me that it won't be, since it isn't profitable.

What I meant was that, the people in charge should be smart people with the right motivations and the right goals.

They should not be people who are driven by greed and are looking to make money or exploit resources to yet again make more money.

Example: Congress should not be run by lobbyists, yet it is.

Congress should be run by people who want to make the country better. If all of them got together wanting to make the country better, they would actually be able to make changes that would benefit the country.

But it isn't like that, it's all about lining their pockets with gold. In the optimal situation, there would be no congress.

There would be only one person, with the power to change everything. All that person needs is the right state of mind and the knowledge and wisdom to foresee consequence.

Change would be made because no one could disagree, and as long as that person remains true to their goals, then all change would be for the better.

Look at Ancient Rome, it was an empire, and it lasted for thousands of years. No government has lasted as long. Not even close. The progress they made was astounding.

Think of the progress such a force could make in today's world.

A black president should not be considered progress, it should be considered a sign of how disgustingly primitive America is.

Last Edited by Anann; 08-27-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason:
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 AM

I don't think the color of skin is a justifable prejudice.

My logic can be applied, what I said was that basically you can't expect them to be logical. You can expect me to be logical, but not humanity.

Again, I don't give a ♥♥♥♥ if people disagree. They should be allowed to disagree, it just won't change anything.

They can cry all they like but they should NOT be able to hinder progress.

People rarely disagree about the right things, or for the right reasons. So they should be ignored, and the ruler should have the ability to ignore them.

As I stated, the ruler would have no need to listen to the people. They already know what needs to be done.

Ultimately, there would be no need for anyone to agree, because regardless they would have no control over the outcome.

Last Edited by Anann; 08-27-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason:
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Everything we do is motivated by greed.
Evidence?

Unless you define symbiotic and altruistic acts as greed, because these actions are ultimately benefiting the longevity of the individual's genetic structure. In which case, greed is now a synonym for action. However, if you define greed in the sense of actions which are consciously made only to benefit the individual or those close to the individual, then, no, all actions are not inherently greedy.
Last Edited by 8bit; 08-27-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason:
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 AM

I find ignoring flat out wrong comments works better than addressing them.

#59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
^Without that comfort there would be nothing to fear, as there would be nothing.
I'm without that comfort. I believe there's something.
Quote:
Death is not an enemy, it is a sister. And I believe in Heaven and Hell as I am Christian.
Will I go to hell?
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsbane View Post
So there should be a dictator who doesn't abuse their power and who ONLY acts in the world's best interest? I thought you didn't believe in utopia.
You keep telling me that my world isn't a utopia. :|

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
Closed Thread

Tags
death, stance