Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Guest
View Posts: n/a
Government taking over our Internet?

Since you care so much about how your "bad words" are symbolized, I think you might want to hear about this. Heard about it this morning on my main forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1YjEP2i1D8
So, there's a bill in the House that we can't legally offend someone via text, internet, etc. AKA, cyber bullying. This means no foul language, and no coercing or intimidating someone to emotional means.
Congress will make the decision on who's being offensive or not, as ruling goes.
And they're going to turn trackers into our computers?
What do YOU think?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Sophie Sophie is offline
(Jehanne)

Join Date: Jan 2007
View Posts: 17,454
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

*moved to Serious Discussion*

Since it's a serious topic, I've moved it to the SD forum. However, if you guys want to just chat about it, I can move it back.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Chef Chef is offline
Hello there children!
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ;)
View Posts: 927
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

I find this wrong. It gets in the way of freedom of speech, and it is an invasion of privacy. They should not find crap people have said OVER THE INTERNET and bring you to court. It is flat out WRONG.
__________________

Sig by IGNIS
Beaten Played 3 Heart Never Played
LoZ AoL ALttP LA OoT MM OoA OoS FS WW FSA MC TP PH ST
www.violinagin.com <-- My sisters art site. Check it out!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Icky Icky is a male Netherlands Icky is offline
Nictel For M0derator '10

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Westland!
View Posts: 4,794
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Ah **** this sensibility **** is getting way out of hand. People will always get offended. Grow some skin or something. They are trying to make this perfect 'nobody is offended and everyone is happy' world by law. Which doesn't work it will only make our differences stand out more. I want people to have the freedom to call me a ****ing idiot and I want the freedom to call others ****ing idiots. If you say but hey you don't live in the US why do you care? Well the internet is still mainly US-based so anything they do on the internet we'll feel as well. That and the fact that someone over here might start to think it's a good idea!

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.”
__________________

Thanks Cambria!
Dutch? Belgique? Grand Duchy of Luxembourg? Join the Low Countries!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 25,228
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Because America needs more ridiculous lawsuits.
__________________


"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Guest
View Posts: n/a
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Thanks, Jehanne, I was just debating where to put it, so I went to the safe side.
Icky: Best movie ever. I love you for that quote.

I absolutely cannot stand the idea of even thinking of this. Its not like the population is decreasing to a serious amount due to this, hell, maybe it'll LESSEN the pollution if its doing anything.
On a more serious note, I doubt the bill will pass, hell, I'm hoping it doesn't. It violates the 5th amendment (if I'm not to sleepy to lack intelligence). Then again, will it be "okay" if Congress makes the decision now, and not the foundational paper to the United States? Personally I don't think so, but I think most brainwashed adults that "the Internet is bad" may support this, and there could be enough of them.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeraza_Bats Yeraza_Bats is a male United States Yeraza_Bats is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Count to 100 :3
View Posts: 4,380
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

people are only concerned about the constitution when it involves them. Other than that, they don't care what it says. It seems as if the goverment is trying to make some kind of perfect society these days. Look at what they're doing to tobacco. I'm not a smoker, but I still think alot of it is meaningless. I can't understand why, but these days most Americans feel that we need to be the moral police of the world. And our goverment seems to feel the same way.
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5346590&dateline=1409  175071
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 AM
MonStarDeity MonStarDeity is a male United States MonStarDeity is offline
Mogma
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Outter Space
View Posts: 170
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

NO ONES TAKING MY INTERNETZ AWAY!
__________________
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x265/DBNmassacre47/Untitledcvv-1.jpg
Last Edited by MonStarDeity; 07-12-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 AM
LegendofLex LegendofLex is a male LegendofLex is offline
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
Join Date: Apr 2004
View Posts: 20,982
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

If the implications of this bill are accurate (which I somehow doubt), Congress offends me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Batrachius Batrachius is a male United States Batrachius is offline
kero-kero, kero-kero
Send a message via AIM to Batrachius Send a message via Yahoo to Batrachius

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rison, AR
View Posts: 2,072
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyyysayss View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1YjEP2i1D8
So, there's a bill in the House that we can't legally offend someone via text, internet, etc. AKA, cyber bullying. This means no foul language, and no coercing or intimidating someone to emotional means.
Congress will make the decision on who's being offensive or not, as ruling goes.
And they're going to turn trackers into our computers?
What do YOU think?

This sounds like we're turning into Communist China, honestly. I think Congress just needs a kick in the dick, because there will be a mass revolt if this law is EVER passed. Who's with me?!
__________________
Satan in the Hearts of Little Children::Cryptic Verses::Sade::NPC Warehouse
MCCCXXXIV
wejustwantyoutoseethingsasclearlyaspossible.
Last Edited by Batrachius; 07-12-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
MonStarDeity MonStarDeity is a male United States MonStarDeity is offline
Mogma
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Outter Space
View Posts: 170
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

but you guys , i dont really think the government could really take over the internet
__________________
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x265/DBNmassacre47/Untitledcvv-1.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Freedom G Freedom G is a male United States Freedom G is offline
Most interesting man in the world
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
View Posts: 1,780
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

****ing mother****ers better not do **** to my internet.

There's no way this can pass though. There is a little thing called the first amendment.
__________________

sig by Zorathan
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 12:24 PM
MonStarDeity MonStarDeity is a male United States MonStarDeity is offline
Mogma
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Outter Space
View Posts: 170
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

the internet is way to big.
seriously the lame ass government would have to have more than a billion people controlling the internet 24/7 and i don't think that possible at least i hope its not
__________________
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x265/DBNmassacre47/Untitledcvv-1.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
View Posts: 4,337
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Because America needs more ridiculous lawsuits.
All the lawyers are getting bored with rediculously vague sexual harrassment suits, so they though this up. Gotta keep em happy.

Anyway, I agree, this is definantly a violation of free speech.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Guest
View Posts: n/a
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Zealot View Post
This sounds like we're turning into Communist China, honestly. I think Congress just needs a kick in the dick, because there will be a mass revolt if this law is EVER passed. Who's with me?!
Well, sorta. I think you're just comparing the strictness of the possible turn we could take.

Yes, it violates the first amendment, but its it okay if Congress decides what's bad and what isn't? Would this bill override the first amendment and the original structure of our government?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
A Wyrm A Wyrm is a male United States A Wyrm is offline
Panic bomb, baby.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Idaho.
View Posts: 1,329
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonStarDeity View Post
the internet is way to big.
seriously the lame ass government would have to have more than a billion people controlling the internet 24/7 and i don't think that possible at least i hope its not
Doesn't stop them from trying. And it looks like they are going to give it a shot. And of course, like all laws in this country, it is a front to "protect the children."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Bromion Bromion is a male Germany Bromion is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Erlangen
View Posts: 1,337
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wyrm View Post
Doesn't stop them from trying. And it looks like they are going to give it a shot. And of course, like all laws in this country, it is a front to "protect the children."
you'd think people would start to realize what a fallacy that is.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
MonStarDeity MonStarDeity is a male United States MonStarDeity is offline
Mogma
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Outter Space
View Posts: 170
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wyrm View Post
Doesn't stop them from trying. And it looks like they are going to give it a shot. And of course, like all laws in this country, it is a front to "protect the children."
that is true.....
__________________
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x265/DBNmassacre47/Untitledcvv-1.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Eyegore Lynel Poe Eyegore Lynel Poe is a male United States Eyegore Lynel Poe is offline
The name critics are raven about
Send a message via Skype™ to Eyegore Lynel Poe
Wii U ID: CaughtCatch 3DS ID: 4871-4403-0835
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Room 23
View Posts: 1,624
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Write your Congressman or vote 'em out. If they aren't doing what you think they should be doing you have the power and the responsibility to do somthing about it.

>_> This is why I don't like big Government.
Last Edited by Eyegore Lynel Poe; 07-12-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Lord Zero Lord Zero is a male Wales Lord Zero is offline
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cymru
View Posts: 9,210
Re: Government taking over our Internet?

Okay there are two issues here: Firstly I'm going to point out that this is Fox News, and so everything there should be taken not only with a pinch of salt, but an entire shakerful.

Secondly, the segment the presenter quotes states that your actions only become a crime when you have intended to coerce blah blah blah. The keyword there is intent, and intent is particularly hard to prove in a court of law. So what he says afterwords about Congress deciding what is and isn't offensive is bull****, because they won't be categorizing what is and isn't offensive - what you say only becomes criminally offensive under this law if it can be proved that you have intended to offend or harass by making that communication. Whether or not that violates the First Amendment is open to interpretation, but if censorship doesn't violate the First Amendment, neither does this, I would think. When the legal adviser fella says "That's absolutely true"? He's talking out of his arse.
__________________

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
Last Edited by Lord Zero; 07-12-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
government, internet, taking


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -