Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM
The fruit of their lions
View Posts: 1,752
Re: On Abortion (Split from Dr. Tiller's Murder)

Most 'fathers' I know end up running off and never actually pay any child support at all. :/
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Which happens how often?

And, as I said, that never gets brought up. In these discussions it's always the woman's fault and it's always her that's to be punished.

No one ever notes that, you know, you need two people to make a baby.
It should happen every time.

How often does the male partner get a voice in the abortion? What if he wants to keep the child? Does that ever get brought up in these debates? No, because the males aren't a part of this debate. We're cut out of the picture, "pro-choice" is about leaving the choice in the woman's hands.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post

How often does the male partner get a voice in the abortion? What if he wants to keep the child? Does that ever get brought up in these debates? No, because the males aren't a part of this debate. We're cut out of the picture, "pro-choice" is about leaving the choice in the woman's hands.
Mostly because men don't have to live with a parasite threatening their well-being for nine months, at the end of which it may kill them.

I realize I make no allies by using such terms, but please try to at least see the issue that way, even for a second. For the first six months the fetus is not a person. It is not even human. It is a thing that drains the energy of its host and which gives nothing in return.

After that, it's a different matter entirely.

If a couple can come to a consensus on abortion, that's wonderful, but ultimately the final say should be given to the mother. If both had an equal vote then odds are that it would end up a stalemate, which would always mean keeping the child.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 06-01-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

Quote:

And the male deserves to have a say in this how? Because he had an orgasm? Hardly an equal trade off when you consider the woman has something living inside her body for the better half of a year. Said thing completely changes the structure of said woman's body, can have negative impacts on her health (both mentally and physically), and can put her out of work for quite some time. That, and once the baby is born she has to take care of it, even if she doesn't want to. Not only can that be insanely stressful on the woman, but it probably won't lead to the best life for the child either.

Men shouldn't have any say in this. It's the woman's body and general well-being at stake, so men shouldn't factor into it at all.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinys View Post
I don't think anyone here supports killing babies.
No one is, I really dislike the semantics that seperate the two groups.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikahSage View Post
If the only reason is that they don't want to raise a child, then adoption is a perfectly good alternative.
I suggest you read this.
http://shakespearessister.blogspot.c...ro-lifers.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch~22 View Post
If blood stained baby carriages is going to far then please explain to me how 60,000 deaths of potential human beings isn't.
He didn't abort just anyone.
Quote:
I've always had a laugh with this one. Just because a child
Sentimentality does not belong in debates, cut it.
Quote:
is a product of rape isn't really a reason for killing it, assuming we're going with the whole pro-life spiel. The baby shouldn't be killed for the crimes of it's father, the same way you shouldn't kick the crap out of some kid because his dad did something stupid.
Yeah, because a fetus that doesn't even feel pain or barely has a brain really counts as 'child'.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,348

I think women should be allowed to decide for themselves whether they want an abortion or not, unless if they are married, I think the father should have a say too. They will have to end up looking after the child, no one else.
Last Edited by Condi Rice; 06-02-2009 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 AM
The fruit of their lions
View Posts: 1,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratey View Post
Thank you for posting this link, fratey. I saw it a long time ago and could never remember the title or where to find it again, as it's such a thought-provoking piece on how adoption is not always the best or easiest thing to do. I swear, the people who are all like 'omg, you can give the baby away, you don't have to murder it, geeze!'. It's not like giving away a puppy or a pair of shoes, ffs.

George Carlin got it right the first time: These people like the idea of preserving life but won't do a damn thing to help it once it's born. There is very, very little support for young mothers who give up their kids for adoption, let alone for the ones who decide to keep them.

Can't... breathe... hypocrisy is crushing me...
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Goron
View Posts: 278

Pel is back! Yay!

Quote:
And the male deserves to have a say in this how? Because he had an orgasm? Hardly an equal trade off when you consider the woman has something living inside her body for the better half of a year. Said thing completely changes the structure of said woman's body, can have negative impacts on her health (both mentally and physically), and can put her out of work for quite some time. That, and once the baby is born she has to take care of it, even if she doesn't want to. Not only can that be insanely stressful on the woman, but it probably won't lead to the best life for the child either.
Well...it's his kid too, but I nevertheless do agree that a woman's say in such a matter should be more weighted than a guy's. Still, the guy shouldn't be a silent doll or something...*I'm not exactly sure if that's what you're implying though...*

Caramelldansen!
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsbane View Post
I don't understand where the man IS supposed to stand on the issue, though - if he has no no say in the matter then he should also have no responsibility, but then if a child IS born the man has to pay child support. The mother can choose not to sue for child support, but she has the right to if she wants. So it's clear that the father is legally and financially responsible, however he has no say whatsoever in whether it's born? That seems unbalanced somehow.
I must say I have to agree with this. A father has to raise up a child too (or at least he should, although some refuse to). But at least he has to pay for it. Its a difficult situation, it seems unjust to force the mother to have the child, but it also seems unjust to force the father to pay for the child without the ability to refuse to do it.

Really not easy to be fair to both parents
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Dr Worm
Send a message via Skype™ to Pignoah
View Posts: 472

Just because the father has little physical connection with the fetus doesn't mean he shouldn't have a say. However, I reckon it is far easier to give rights to the mother anyway.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,981

I'm all for breaking a bad law, but I don't see much progress from breaking a good law just because you see another injustice taking place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagias
These people like the idea of preserving life but won't do a damn thing to help it once it's born. There is very, very little support for young mothers who give up their kids for adoption, let alone for the ones who decide to keep them.
That's the ironic problem with Conservatives; their social justice stances ultimately run into the massive wall of them being staunchly opposed to welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
It is not even human.
Meh, we've had our discussions about why in elementary terms it is no less human than we are (and therefore arguably a "person" also given the vagueness of the term). It's only less developed, which I could say for an infant as well. It still respires (all living things respire), still processes energy, still grows and develops, etc. It lacks brain function, sure. But I staunchly believe that any kind of exclusive criteria for human beings that is used to deprive them of the same basic rights (life being the most basic of all rights) as those of another kind violates constitutional law. So regardless of the merits, it's still wrong.
Last Edited by LegendofLex; 06-02-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Angry Lenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemicion View Post
Meh, we've had our discussions about why in elementary terms it is no less human than we are (and therefore arguably a "person" also given the vagueness of the term). It's only less developed, which I could say for an infant as well.
Then sperm should count as persons too.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,589

Quote:
Then sperm should count as persons too.
No it can't...It doesn't have enough chromosomes.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
View Posts: 4,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
So...women should be punished for having sex?
Like in gambling, a smart person will never risk what they are unwilling to lose. If you have unprotected sex, or use a broken condom, or whatever, there is a high risk you will get pregnant. If you cannot accept that risk, you might want to reconsider having sex.

Quote:
Mostly because men don't have to live with a parasite threatening their well-being for nine months, at the end of which it may kill them.
Oh, so a human fetus is now compared with having a tick on your arm? I guess that does explain a few things about why abortion is so common.

By the way, with modern medicine, the odds of being killed during childbirth is likely around 1 in 5000 at minimum. Its not the 1700s anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearhead
But what I have trouble with is the whole argument they have for pro-life; that none should get an abortion no matter what.
I can speak only for myself, but under certain circumstances abortion is needed. It just shouldn't be used frivilously. A persons attitude to abortion should be akin to deciding to amputate a finger, not taking a tylonol to get rid of a headache.

Quote:
And why should only the woman be punished for sex? You note that these arguments never say "some 15 year old guy who couldn't keep his pants on", it's always the woman's fault for getting pregnant, and it's always her who should suffer for it.
The woman shouldn't be the only one punished, but unfortunantly (with how most single fathers treat child support) thats what usually happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratey
Adoption is obviously a better option for the child. It probably would cause the mother distress, and I sympathise.

On the flip side of the mans part in the abortion thing: what if the man forces the woman to have an abortion when she wants to keep the child? For example, a friend of mine threatened to break up with his girlfriend if she didn't have an abortion. He (probably correctly) believed no one else would want to date him if other girls found out he got a girl pregnant. Meanwhile, his girlfriend wanted the baby, and was torn apart when he pressured her to abort it. She ended up aborting it because he has been her only boyfriend since middleschool and she didn't think she could break up with him. Just some food for thought.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Angry Lenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Goodfellow View Post
No it can't...It doesn't have enough chromosomes.
So? I'm sure you are aware of how many chromosomes someone with Downs have. Aren't they human?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikahSage View Post
Adoption is obviously a better option for the child.
No, not obviously. There's extremely many factors into this - in all cases, it isn't the better option for the child.
Last Edited by fratey; 06-02-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned User
Steam ID: sircalibur
View Posts: 2,560

I don't even get why this is still an argment..

It's the woman's choice. It's her body that's being subjected to the parasite, so her say is the ultimatum.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Tranquillitas Ordinis
View Posts: 5,417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Calibur View Post
I don't even get why this is still an argment..

It's the woman's choice. It's her body that's being subjected to the parasite, so her say is the ultimatum.
I think the problem for many people is that since it is nearly a born baby, killing it is similar to a killing a newborn.

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I once drew Santa sodomizing GI Joe. It was the last time I taught preschool art
View Posts: 2,655

Quote:
There's extremely many factors into this - in all cases, it isn't the better option for the child.
Wait a minuet. Being killed is a better option than growing up under tha care of adopted parents? Your gonna have to explain that one to me.

...and from that day forward, anytime a bunch of self-important ranting morons are together in one place, it's called a FORUM! Unless it's a LEGISLATURE!
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Tranquillitas Ordinis
View Posts: 5,417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Hawk View Post
Wait a minuet. Being killed is a better option than growing up under tha care of adopted parents? Your gonna have to explain that one to me.
Not having to suffer a bad childhood is better for someone who never had the chance to live yet.

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -

Tags
abortion, murder, split, tiller