Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Is Anti-Americanism "cool"?
Yes, it is. 20 31.75%
No, it isn't. 43 68.25%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
A bigger Zeldafag than you
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeruda
View Posts: 606
Re: Is Anti-Americanism Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbitrator View Post
So you're NOT hoping he can make a difference? Or do you just not think he will? That's different to hoping he will.
I don't think he'll make a difference. Read the rest of the post.

Quote:
By "not good" do you mean "bad" or "neutral".
Not being good to somebody usually implies that you're being bad to them. Read up on cutting funding for veterans wounded in the line of duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislike Of Renegades View Post
superdecimal i'm not an attn whore i just like get compliments from people :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessZelda032 View Post
Lol okay? I am big chested by the way. Its hard to not cover them.
I have no tits and I'm hotter than you. So really, stop trying.
It's just not going to work for you.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by ゼルダ View Post
I don't think he'll make a difference. Read the rest of the post.
Do you hope that he won't?

Quote:
Not being good to somebody usually implies that you're being bad to them. Read up on cutting funding for veterans wounded in the line of duty.
Well it's possible that you consider not giving veterans a life of luxury "not good", which is why it was necessary to ask. And as long as they're still getting funding, and that funding is sufficient, he's hardly being "bad".

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is online now
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,504

Quote:

well it seems some do..that way theyd have nothing to complain about

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Also I just want to point out the clear stupidity of running such a poll question on a site dominated by Americans. Just sayin'.
ya lol its kina like posting obama/mccain threads on a forum dominated by obama fans

wait what
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,849

My thoughts are best summarized by my friend CelestialBeard in the phrase "DEATH TO AMERICA."

Now, I don't hate America specifically, but rather society as a whole. However, taking down America would be a good place to start in the task to reboot civilization.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,849

also: death to america
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 PM
A bigger Zeldafag than you
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeruda
View Posts: 606

Quote:
Why the hell would I hope he won't? I hope he will, but I don't believe he can or will.

Quote:
Well it's possible that you consider not giving veterans a life of luxury "not good", which is why it was necessary to ask. And as long as they're still getting funding, and that funding is sufficient, he's hardly being "bad".
How is providing care for a veteran giving them a life of luxury? I shouldn't have to pay for the injuries that I sustained fighting for my country and for freedom, nor should any other veteran, especially the ones who have it extremely bad (loss of limbs, etc.). We already have to worry about paying for non-service-related illnesses, so taking away our funding for being blown the **** apart in war is an insult. It's horrible.

...but we're getting off-topic here now. If you really want to discuss that issue, PM me about it, or find that thread that was discussing it a while ago (if it's still up). Back on topic, I feel that anti-Americanism is not cool in any way. But at the same time, I don't care about what a lot of people who are anti-American think or say, as a lot of them really have no idea what they are talking about, and they usually nitpick at one issue rather than look at the whole picture. Usually, those people are kids. I'm less likely going to listen to a child or teenager blow steam about America than an adult... unless the child or teenager actually has knowledge on the situation(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislike Of Renegades View Post
superdecimal i'm not an attn whore i just like get compliments from people :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessZelda032 View Post
Lol okay? I am big chested by the way. Its hard to not cover them.
I have no tits and I'm hotter than you. So really, stop trying.
It's just not going to work for you.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ゼルダ View Post
Why the hell would I hope he won't? I hope he will, but I don't believe he can or will.
That's what Pela was saying though, you said you disagreed with her but all she did was hope, so I was wondering what exactly you meant.

Quote:
...but we're getting off-topic here now. If you really want to discuss that issue, PM me about it, or find that thread that was discussing it a while ago (if it's still up).
I think I will.

Quote:
Back on topic, I feel that anti-Americanism is not cool in any way. But at the same time, I don't care about what a lot of people who are anti-American think or say, as a lot of them really have no idea what they are talking about, and they usually nitpick at one issue rather than look at the whole picture. Usually, those people are kids. I'm less likely going to listen to a child or teenager blow steam about America than an adult... unless the child or teenager actually has knowledge on the situation(s).
Thankfully some of our teenagers read up on the news, and given stuff that happens in America which you get considerably less of here, it's hardly surprising that America takes a lot of flak. It's when people start thinking less of you upon the revelation that you happen to be American that there's a problem.

#29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 5,680

I find it incredibly annoying how fashionable American-bashing has become, not just because of arrogance, but because of hypocrisy. This one time, I was in a bar when suddenly the band leader screams "F*** AMERICA!" and everyone cheered, including the people who were slurping down coke and vodkas. It's so uncalled for and unbearably smug of people to do that, especially when they are gobbling up Big Macs and watching the OC.

I especially think its annoying when British people do it. While many British are smugly going on about "stupid fat Americans" they fail to realize in terms of obesity, teen pregnancies, literacy rates and many of the things they sneer at American about are shockingly high in Britain (in many cases the highest in EU.) They fail to realize that we are the America of Europe.

You know its SEXY.

My friend's group. Join! http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...n-society.html
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
the battler
Send a message via AIM to TheBattler
View Posts: 1,105

I think a few years ago it WAS cool to be anti-American.

I know people who dreamed of living in Europe, free of Bush, free of the legal alcohol age, so that they can frolic and listen to all the great music coming out of England, eat the great cheese and chocolate coming out of Switzerland, visit Rome but not get close to the Catholics, and never have to pay a dime because the European Union will pay for them!

But now since the OMGbama craze, I don't think it's cool to be Anti-American. So, I'm going to say "No" to this poll.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Let me get the hose.
View Posts: 4,118

I don't really hate America. I mean I disagree with some things that happen in/come out of America, yeah. But this hasn't lead me to 'hate' the country, and I certainly don't hold the general population responsible for those things.

Anyway, it's easy to claim that America is cocking up the most/being silly because America just happens to make the most noise and therefore draw attention to itself xD

Sig by my Robert
Okay no room for banners but I won Most Fabulous Hair and Coolest Member guys
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Eating Glue speeds up your Metabolism
Send a message via AIM to Blue
View Posts: 3,428

The United States is fine.
It's just those annoying emo kids that whine about the country.
They find there reasoning for hating the country pretty much off media.
Or in crappy lyrics to music, the industrial stuff.
Complete and utter garbage.

It's annoying listening to them.
Last Edited by Blue; 04-21-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
por que esta es la rumba
View Posts: 2,296

I like America, actually. One of the problems is that America has become... the Britney Spears of the world. Every little step America takes the rest world analyzes, and out of human nature, find fault in. So I figure that's where a lot of the hate comes from (especially during the Bush term).

Yet, for some reason, the rest of the world seems to be adopting America's habits.

No, I don't think Anti-Americanism is cool.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

A lot of developed countries aren't too fundamentally different from us, but hate us anyway. I think it's just the side effect of being the "best" nation.

It seems like it's just easy to hate America. You can be "cool" by hating America and nobody really questions why.

Honestly I don't find it to be so bad here.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 AM
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE FISH
Send a message via Skype™ to SacredSturgeon

View Posts: 22,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
A lot of developed countries aren't too fundamentally different from us, but hate us anyway. I think it's just the side effect of being the "best" nation.
America is the only developed nation where being called atheist is considered an insult, or where many schools still consider creationism and "intelligent design" acceptable alternatives to actual science. America, quite simply, is way more religious than the rest of the developed world, and way more fundamentalist to boot. It's actually surprisingly different from the rest of the developed world.

Then there's the fact that America is way more right-wing than the rest of the developed world. If I recall correctly, it's the only Western nation that lacks universal healthcare.

So yeah, I'd say in many ways America is fundamentally different.

Having said that, hating a country's government or certain aspects of its society is a-okay with me. Hating its people, not so much. I can go really in-depth about everything about America that I hate (I won't, for the record. Can't be arsed) but it's people, well, they're just people, just like people elsewhere.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 AM
master of my fate, captain of my soul
View Posts: 9,959

It depends. If you are an anti-american american, then you're an idiot.

I'm British, and allowed to be.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
The impulsive L The impulsive L is a male Finland The impulsive L is offline
And the bathmonkeys...
View Posts: 825

What do u actually mean by anti-American: Anti-American towards the people or the way of life?

Anyway I voted no.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L176 View Post
What do u actually mean by anti-American: Anti-American towards the people or the way of life?

Anyway I voted no.
American is not a way of life.

#39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 AM

View Posts: 4,744

I never understand American hating Americans. I understand those who don't like the people in power, I was'nt that fond of Bush either. But to disown your own country.........it's wrong. This is your homeland, and we are your kinsmen. It's always sad to hear young people bash their own country. And bands like Green Day and System of a down aren't helping either. I can understand why other nations aren't to fond of us. Being the economic and military power in the world, the whole world has it's eyes on us. I just hope they don't look down on the American people. We are hard working people who live day by day, just like everyone else. We all have our differences. If you were to compare one of us with another, you would see they are very different from each other. The same goes for the rest of the world. Don't let one bad leader ruin your view of the American people.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredSturgeon View Post
America is the only developed nation where being called atheist is considered an insult, or where many schools still consider creationism and "intelligent design" acceptable alternatives to actual science. America, quite simply, is way more religious than the rest of the developed world, and way more fundamentalist to boot. It's actually surprisingly different from the rest of the developed world.

Then there's the fact that America is way more right-wing than the rest of the developed world. If I recall correctly, it's the only Western nation that lacks universal healthcare.

So yeah, I'd say in many ways America is fundamentally different.

Having said that, hating a country's government or certain aspects of its society is a-okay with me. Hating its people, not so much. I can go really in-depth about everything about America that I hate (I won't, for the record. Can't be arsed) but it's people, well, they're just people, just like people elsewhere.
What I said had nothing to do with religion.

And of the what, 14 developed countries, we still share the same basic core ideals that give us all rights, and we've got mostly the same freedoms with some random exceptions here and there.

Tags
antiamericanism, cool