Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Do you believe sexual orientation is a choice?
Yes 17 27.87%
No 44 72.13%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Today, during my chem class, I got in an argument with some other guy about whether or not one's sexual orientation is a personal choice or not. I know there's probably been a ton of these threads, but I wasn't around for them, and they're all dead by now, so here's a new one. Do you believe sexual orientation is a personal choice, or not? And please, give reason for your answer.


I don't think it is, we can't change what kind of foods we like to eat, or how our thought processes work, why would we be able to change what kind of stimulation arouses us? And, think of all the people with sexual desires that aren't quite the norm; pedophiles, necrophiliacs, zoophiliacs, I'm sure they didn't choose to be that way, and become outcasts of society, it's just how their hormones react to those certain stimuli.
__________________
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Gianlorenzo Gianlorenzo is offline
(Jehanne)

Join Date: Jan 2007
View Posts: 17,484
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

I agree with you; there's a limit to what you can control and what you can't control. But you can have a lot of control over your behavior. So, you can choose not to act on your impulses.
__________________


  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehanne View Post
I agree with you; there's a limit to what you can control and what you can't control. But you can have a lot of control over your behavior. So, you can choose not to act on your impulses.
Yes, you can choose not to act on them, but you still have those impulses.
__________________
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Gianlorenzo Gianlorenzo is offline
(Jehanne)

Join Date: Jan 2007
View Posts: 17,484
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

If sexual orientation is based on neurotransmitters and such, then I would say that it's not a choice. There's probably drastic stuff you could do to change it, but it's probably better to just be who you are.
__________________


  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
asuru asuru is a female United States asuru is offline
weee!

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
View Posts: 10,229
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

I think the choice is the "acting" upon it. You can't help being attracted to someone the same sex or whatever, but you can choose not to act upon it. You can change too. It's possible.

That is all I will say about that.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM
John John is a male Canada John is offline
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,127
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

What's it matter?

I, honestly, don't know if my being heterosexual is by choice or by genetics, but does that mean that I can't be attracted to people of the opposite gender?


Anyways, most research seems to agree that homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, etc. are that way due to built-in stuff, not due to personal choice.


Quote:
I think the choice is the "acting" upon it. You can't help being attracted to someone the same sex or whatever, but you can choose not to act upon it. You can change too. It's possible.
But why not act on it?
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 04-17-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason:
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ is a male United Kingdom Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Island
View Posts: 20,843
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

I dont think it's a choice. I tried to ignore my impulses for guys at first, but I couldn't do that forever.
It's part of who I am, and I can never will myself to not be bisexual
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
What's it matter?
It doesn't, really, just something interesting to debate on.
__________________
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Hoju Hoju is a male Canada Hoju is offline
Valhall Awaits
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BC, Canada
View Posts: 461
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

with the amount of prejudice and hatred that existed, and still exists against homosexuality, it makes little sense that people would simply choose to be homosexuals.

it's not a choice, i didn't choose to be attracted to women, i just am. sexual attraction is in your chemistry, it's a chemical reaction in your brain, we can't control it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
asuru asuru is a female United States asuru is offline
weee!

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
View Posts: 10,229
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
What's it matter?

I, honestly, don't know if my being heterosexual is by choice or by genetics, but does that mean that I can't be attracted to people of the opposite gender?


Anyways, most research seems to agree that homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, etc. are that way due to built-in stuff, not due to personal choice.



But why not act on it?
People can easily choose to be attracted to the same sex. Lindsay Lohan is a prime example. She just suddenly wanted to date a girl. So you can choose.

I feel it might have to do with genetics as well. I also think it has to do with an imbalance of hormones or something.

Quote:
But why not act on it?
This isn't about the why. It's about whether its possible to choose, and it is.
Last Edited by asuru; 04-17-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason:
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Hoju Hoju is a male Canada Hoju is offline
Valhall Awaits
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BC, Canada
View Posts: 461
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

people can choose who they want to date, kiss etc.. but can they control basic sexual attraction?
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
People can easily choose to be attracted to the same sex. Lindsay Lohan is a prime example. She just suddenly wanted to date a girl. So you can choose.

I feel it might have to do with genetics as well. I also think it has to do with an imbalance of hormones or something.
So, you're telling me you can just up and switch to liking women? Just like that? Can you honestly just go, find an attractive woman, and feel a desire for her, like you would for an attractive man?

Oh, and you keep bringing up celebrities in your arguments for this kind of stuff, when it isn't really needed. Elton John isn't the spokesperson for gay people, and Ms. Lohan is just a tramp.
__________________
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ is a male United Kingdom Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Island
View Posts: 20,843
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
People can easily choose to be attracted to the same sex. Lindsay Lohan is a prime example. She just suddenly wanted to date a girl. So you can choose.

I feel it might have to do with genetics as well. I also think it has to do with an imbalance of hormones or something.
Since when?
I wanted to be attracted to only girls when I was younger. I tried and tried and tried but I'm just not wired that way
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
John John is a male Canada John is offline
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,127
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
People can easily choose to be attracted to the same sex. Lindsay Lohan is a prime example. She just suddenly wanted to date a girl. So you can choose.

I feel it might have to do with genetics as well. I also think it has to do with an imbalance of hormones or something.
Amazingly, people don't just switch orientation. They can discover an attraction for someone of the opposite gender or similar (I've yet to meet a guy (Or girl, for that matter) that I was romantically attracted to, doesn't mean that it won't someday happen) but their current preference doesn't just leap out a window and vanish.

Lots of studies about that sort of thing, showing that, at absolute best, you can brainwash a person into pretending that they aren't still attracted to the "wrong" group despite still becoming aroused around them.

Also. Lindsay Lohan got an awfully large amount of publicity and fame for suddenly "coming out", didn't she?

Forgive me for not suspecting market forces either driving her to hide her orientation at first, or later driving her "discovery" of it.
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
asuru asuru is a female United States asuru is offline
weee!

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
View Posts: 10,229
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroShadow View Post
So, you're telling me you can just up and switch to liking women? Just like that? Can you honestly just go, find an attractive woman, and feel a desire for her, like you would for an attractive man?

Oh, and you keep bringing up celebrities in your arguments for this kind of stuff, when it isn't really needed. Elton John isn't the spokesperson for gay people, and Ms. Lohan is just a tramp.
Must you ask in such a rude tone? Sheesh...

I personally know people who found themselves attracted to the same gender, and sought "help" (I'll leave it at that) and changed. He is no longer attracted to the same gender.

Ms. Lohan is a tramp yes, but she did do it. You can't use her fame as an excuse. Whether she did it for fame or did it because she just wanted to, she did in fact switch it on.


And just because you, Teekay I mean, didn't have success with trying doesn't mean someone out there can't have success with trying, because people do. It doesn't make you weak or anything like that, don't take it as an insult that you couldn't change. Some just do.
Last Edited by asuru; 04-17-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason:
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Hell Hawk Hell Hawk is a male United States Hell Hawk is offline
I once drew Santa sodomizing GI Joe. It was the last time I taught preschool art
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
View Posts: 2,655
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

I personally think that being gay or strait is something that you are born with. Its not a matter of personal choice, its just determined by your brains structure. Something simply goes wrong when your brain is developing, or theres a hormone imbalance, or something and you become attracted to the oposite sex later in life.
__________________

...and from that day forward, anytime a bunch of self-important ranting morons are together in one place, it's called a FORUM! Unless it's a LEGISLATURE!
Last Edited by Hell Hawk; 04-17-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason:
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
Must you ask in such a rude tone? Sheesh...

I personally know people who found themselves attracted to the same gender, and sought "help" (I'll leave it at that) and changed. He is no longer attracted to the same gender.

Ms. Lohan is a tramp yes, but she did do it. You can't use her fame as an excuse. Whether she did it for fame or did it because she just wanted to, she did in fact switch it on.


And just because you, Teekay I mean, didn't have success with trying doesn't mean someone out there can't have success with trying, because people do. It doesn't make you weak or anything like that, don't take it as an insult that you couldn't change. Some just do.
I wasn't meaning for it to be taken as rude.

And you've still not answered my question, can you just up and switch preference?

As for the getting "help" thing, I think that's a load of BS and chips. That's like someone going to get "help" because they think the kind of vegetables they like are wrong.
__________________
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM
asuru asuru is a female United States asuru is offline
weee!

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
View Posts: 10,229
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Hawk View Post
I personally think that being gay or strait is something that you are born with. Its not a matter of personal choice, its just determined by your brains structure. Something simply goes wrong when your brain is developing, or theres a hormone imbalance, or something and you become attracted to the oposite sex later in life.
I also believe that as well. I mean, its sad, I'm sure its not what they want, and I do feel sorry for them.

Quote:
And you've still not answered my question, can you just up and switch preference?

As for the getting "help" thing, I think that's a load of BS and chips. That's like someone going to get "help" because they think the kind of vegetables they like are wrong.
Me personally? No, because I'm not single so I don't pay attention to anyone else but my husband. I'm sure single people who are looking for something could justify falling for someone of the same sex on a whim. Some do. I had friends in high school who didn't care who they'd date, as long as they dated someone.

Sorry you feel that way about the help, and you can feel its stupid, but it doesn't deny that its real or that it does in fact happen. It's harder than hell I hear, but it CAN happen.
Last Edited by asuru; 04-17-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason:
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
I also believe that as well. I mean, its sad, I'm sure its not what they want, and I do feel sorry for them.
Oh really? Care to explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
People can easily choose to be attracted to the same sex. Lindsay Lohan is a prime example. She just suddenly wanted to date a girl. So you can choose.
^that, then?
__________________
Last Edited by Red; 04-17-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason:
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Silver Silver is a male Union of Britain Silver is online now
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Miklagard
View Posts: 24,693
Re: Sexual Orientation - A Choice?

I believe sexual orientation is not a choice. For example, I do not choose to be straight. I do not choose to prefer boobies over penises. Sometimes I wish I wasn't straight (As most girls I know are *****es), but it doesn't change the fact that I am sexually attracted to women, but not men.

All in all, I have as much control over my sexuality as I have control over me being born white.
__________________
Want the clan test? Send me a PM!

<Steam>
Last Edited by Silver; 04-17-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason:
Closed Thread

Tags
choice, orientation, sexual


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -