Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 AM
B-Rock the Islamic Shock B-Rock the Islamic Shock is a male United States B-Rock the Islamic Shock is offline
OBAMACARE IS INVINCIBLE
View Posts: 4,717
California Consideres Legalizing Marijuana

MSNBC

Quote:
Californians over age 21 could openly buy marijuana - and pay a hefty tax - under proposed legislation.

San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano says his controversial legislation would help get California out of debt.

The proposal includes all marijuana, and not just medical marijuana, which has been legal in California since 1996.

The Board of Equalization estimates the bill would bring the state $1.3 billion every year. Of that, $990 million would come from a $50 per ounce levy and $350 million from sales tax revenue.

Federal government statistics put annual illegal sales of pot in the state at $14 billion.

"I think here in California,we understand $14 billion is something that can't be blown off. The state deserves to have a piece of it," said Ammiano.

Ammiano says some of the proceeds from the tax would go to drug programs.
In light of this I think it's a good time to bring up drugs again.

Personally, I'd love to see this happen. I mean really weed is no more harmful to a person than drinking and smoking, besides if an adult can weigh the risks and still make the decision to smoke it then why shouldn't they be allowed to? Are these anti-drug people saying that we aren't allowed to make decisions about our own body?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545
Re: California Consideres Legalizing Marijuana

This is the way it should be across the entire country. It's way less harmless than alcohol, so it shouldn't even be illegal to begin with. The only thing really harmful about it is the fact that most of the time you have to buy it from shady people. If they legalised it, they'd probably be protecting a lot of people from physical harm, allow cops to do real work instead of busting some teenagers passing around a joint, and the government would get a crap load of money from the tax.

It's just common sense really, and the fact that this didn't happen 50 years ago baffles me.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2009, 02:14 AM
theunabletable theunabletable is a male United States theunabletable is offline
(◕‿◕✿)
Send a message via AIM to theunabletable
3DS ID: 3050-7697-1416
View Posts: 4,438

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything Slime said. It truly surprises me that it hasn't always been legal.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

The only negative aspect to legalizing it is that the drug testing industry would die off, though I'm not sure if that's really negative from a nation-wide point of view.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 AM
[insert clever custom title]
View Posts: 4,460

I really dont care if some guy wants to get high every so often. I wouldnt suggest all illegal drugs be that way, but for marijuana why not?

Anyways if this were to pass, what happens to all the marijuana related charges and people in prison? I mean if they are of legal age, then it would seem kinda cruel to continue to pursue the case/keep them in jail and such. But I really have no idea what I am talking about so...

though I do find the whole 'we need money... so lets get everyone stoned!'

Amazing Signature and Avatar by Viral Maze. Thanks!
My Fanfiction
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 AM
B-Rock the Islamic Shock B-Rock the Islamic Shock is a male United States B-Rock the Islamic Shock is offline
OBAMACARE IS INVINCIBLE
View Posts: 4,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrath View Post
Anyways if this were to pass, what happens to all the marijuana related charges and people in prison? I mean if they are of legal age, then it would seem kinda cruel to continue to pursue the case/keep them in jail and such. But I really have no idea what I am talking about so...
Depends. If they were arrested for smoking weed then sure let them out. However if they were selling weed, then the chances are they will remain in prison. Beer is legal but you can be arrested for selling it without a license.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
linksmolecules linksmolecules is a male United States linksmolecules is offline
Delirious
Send a message via Skype™ to linksmolecules
View Posts: 1,065

I would move to California if this happened. The only reason why I quit smoking weed was because it would ruin my career if I got caught. I alwalys assumed weed would become legal, just not in my lifetime.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,124

Not in your lifetime?

Things change rapidly now. A lifetime ago was World War II, maybe I if you're old enough.

Just...think about how much things have changed in one lifetime.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,439

Just because something isn't as bad for you as other things that's a reason to legalize it? Maybe they should criminalize the other things instead.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
View Posts: 4,337

So the state of California has turned to drug dealing to get its revenue? Whats next, legalising murder and having residents pay a fee in exchange for the abilty to kill thier wives?

On the plus side, maybe it will get all the pot heads to move there and give the other 49 states a break.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
SO ZETTA SLOW
Steam ID: ENVY ADAMS
View Posts: 2,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikahSage View Post
So the state of California has turned to drug dealing to get its revenue? Whats next, legalising murder and having residents pay a fee in exchange for the abilty to kill thier wives?

On the plus side, maybe it will get all the pot heads to move there and give the other 49 states a break.
No offense, but this post is really close-minded.

~Simon Petrikov

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
T.I.M.E.

Most things are criminalised for a good reason. Marijuana just isn't one of them. Seriously, what's so objectionable about it? It's a plant. Should we criminalise Coffea because coffee beans have drug-like effects when consumed?

Quote:
Did you seriously just compare marijuana to murder?
Last Edited by Slime; 03-01-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
View Posts: 4,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime View Post

Did you seriously just compare marijuana to murder?
No, it was a joke. They are oviously not comparable. I'm just saying, if legalizing drug use to pay off state debts is deemed ok, soon other crimes could be too.

Quote:
No offense, but this post is really close-minded.
So because I belive in following the law I'm close minded?
Last Edited by Wrath of Pong; 03-01-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to Gluttonman
View Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Not in your lifetime?

Things change rapidly now. A lifetime ago was World War II, maybe I if you're old enough.

Just...think about how much things have changed in one lifetime.
There are only about 7 WW1 people who were involved in WW1, and chances you are one of their children, 60 or 70, you wouldn't be on the computer, especially on a website about Zelda.

Anyway, back on topic. I say why not, it would generate lots of revenue to the state. I'm personally not a sympathizer of any drug, be it marijuana, cigarettes, or beer, but this'll probably make the streets safer. My only question is how they will stop people from growing a selling their own, if we can't stop people now, when it's illegal, how will we stop it when it is less monitored?

EDIT: My first paragraph made little to no sense. I mean there are about 7 soldiers(or whatever they did) that are still alive. All of them were around 20, making their children very old today. And they will most likely not remember much about WW1. It still isn't very relevant, but meh....
Last Edited by Gluttonman; 03-01-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Divinity Rests in Places Unseen
Send a message via AIM to Umi Send a message via Skype™ to Umi
View Posts: 1,556

Hopefully, if this is passed, a realization of the economic gain this can bring will be recognized by more of the states. And possibly the realization that it isn't as harmful as conservatives make it out to be.

Quote:
No, it was a joke. They are oviously not comparable. I'm just saying, if legalizing drug use to pay off state debts is deemed ok, soon other crimes could be too.
Not nessecarily. Was the repeal of prohibition a slippery slope? Possibly in some respects, but nothing drastic.

Quote:
No, but being closed to ideas related to changing the law can be deemed "closed minded."

Last Edited by Umi; 03-01-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
SO ZETTA SLOW
Steam ID: ENVY ADAMS
View Posts: 2,258

Quote:

But it shouldn't be against the law in the first place, that's the thing.

~Simon Petrikov

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 PM
T.I.M.E.

Quote:
They've been taxing tobacco for years, which is a way more harmful drug, and people rarely complain about that.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to Gluttonman
View Posts: 112

Quote:
They've been taxing tobacco for years, which is a way more harmful drug, and people rarely complain about that.
Is it really more dangerous? I've ALWAYS heard that marijuana could be much more dangerous to your brain, lungs, mouth, what have you.... Then again, if it were legalized, they would make them with filters...
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
T.I.M.E.

Nothing has ever been proven. Like pretty much everything inhaled it can cause obvious respiratory problems, and some weak links have been made to mental illness, but since they've been unable to find anything that actually causes that it's a moot point. On the other hand, tobacco smoke is packed full of carcinogens, and is responsible for all kinds of cancers. Even with the toxic substances contained in marijuana, scientists can't find any link to cancer.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Divinity Rests in Places Unseen
Send a message via AIM to Umi Send a message via Skype™ to Umi
View Posts: 1,556

Quote:
Nothing has ever been proven. Like pretty much everything inhaled it can cause obvious respiratory problems, and some weak links have been made to mental illness, but since they've been unable to find anything that actually causes that it's a moot point. On the other hand, tobacco smoke is packed full of carcinogens, and is responsible for all kinds of cancers. Even with the toxic substances contained in marijuana, scientists can't find any link to cancer.
Nor can they find it linked to heart disease. Keep in mind however, that though so far marijuana has not been found harmful in study, these studies are not 100% positive, since social pressures and U.S. law do not permit its use. So an increase of connections can possibly be found if it is legalized and more study is done.

Last Edited by Umi; 03-01-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
california, consideres, legalizing, marijuana