Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Sapere aude
View Posts: 5,402
Hard time finding a job for guys with long hair.

Many employers will not hire men with long hair, or either sex that sports piercings. Although, one thing differs between piercings and hair, you can take hair off, and you can't go get hair. Hair is a part of your body, something you can't just put on after leaving the work place. Women get to keep their hair long. And hair doesn't affect how well you can do your job. If it is cared for and kept back during work, what is the problem? (I don't know if this should be in the Sd forums, but I felt it was a good candidate.)

I know this isn't some widespread problem, but minorities don't want to ignored, and if you just want a job. I think people should listen yes?

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM
broken
View Posts: 1,784
Re: Hard time finding a job for guys with long hair.

It depends on the job. If you're in a job that requires a fair amount of interaction with people, and your hair is not socially suited to that interaction, then it's perfectly fair to not hire somebody based on their hair. In a similar regard, if your hair gets in the way of your job in another manner (cooking for instance), then it's also fair to not hire somebody based on their hair.

Piercings can also fall into those categories.

#3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Deku Scrub

View Posts: 14,130

I have never noticed. Is it because their hair might get stuck on something, and get their hair ripped off? There are always hair nets and hair ties.
Last Edited by La Zed; 02-18-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
It depends on the job. If you're in a job that requires a fair amount of interaction with people, and your hair is not socially suited to that interaction, then it's perfectly fair to not hire somebody based on their hair. In a similar regard, if your hair gets in the way of your job in another manner (cooking for instance), then it's also fair to not hire somebody based on their hair.

Piercings can also fall into those categories.
This does not explain why only women get to keep their hair long. Sex discrimination is not a one-way street.

- Christopher Hitchens -
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 02-18-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
broken

Long hair on a woman does not have the same social connotations as long hair on a man. Same with piercings (although depending on the location of the piercings, they may carry negative connotations for either gender).

If you're claiming that women get to keep long hair or piercings when they would get in the way of the job in a practical sense, they would have to remove them just the same as a man.

I'm not seeing any sexual discrimination here, beyond what society has set over hundreds of years.

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Substitue
Send a message via Skype™ to Foo

View Posts: 2,291

And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you
--5-man electric band

... you were all thinkin' it.

I can understand the issue in terms of respect: if an employer is attempting to create a certain atmosphere in his work place, especially in retail, and someone refuses to co-operate simply because it offends his/her sense of style then he's hardly presenting himself as hirable in the first place. If instead an employer is just drawing generilazations over all people who wear their hair in a certain way, certainly there's a problem.
Last Edited by Foo; 02-18-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
Long hair on a woman does not have the same social connotations as long hair on a man. Same with piercings (although depending on the location of the piercings, they may carry negative connotations for either gender).

If you're claiming that women get to keep long hair or piercings when they would get in the way of the job in a practical sense, they would have to remove them just the same as a man.

I'm not seeing any sexual discrimination here, beyond what society has set over hundreds of years.
There are few jobs where hair interferes, especially since you can keep it under a hat, net, or in a ponytail. I walk into my local grocery store and see ladies with long hair, working at the deli, it's under a net. I have talked an employee there and they say that if you are a guy you must have short hair to work there.

Quote:
I can understand the issue in terms of respect: if an employer is attempting to create a certain atmosphere in his work place, especially in retail, and someone refuses to co-operate simply because it offends his/her sense of style then he's hardly presenting himself as hirable in the first place. If instead an employer is just drawing generilazations over all people who wear their hair in a certain way, certainly there's a problem.
As I said, you can't just take your hair off, it is a part of your body, not a piercing, not an article of clothing. If you present yourself nicely and have the skills then hair shouldn't be a factor.

- Christopher Hitchens -
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 02-18-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to Gluttonman
View Posts: 112

i find that "cultures settings" is a very malleable term. Girls couldn't go out decently wearing pants hundreds of years ago, but here they are now, wearing pants... So why can't guys keep their hair long? Like FlamesofValor, I don't see why a guy can't keep his hair long as long as he presents it well. If it is always knotted, dirty, and ugly, especially in a job the requires you to be with the public, I can see why they could turn you down. But if it's well kept, why shouldn't it be allowed? Same applies with piercings i guess, but that would definitely effect the other's view on the person more.

I'm a big supporter of "Don't judge a book by its cover", just because a guy has long hair or piercings, it makes him... what, mean? a bad person? or worse yet, a FREE SPIRIT?
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames of Valor View Post
There are few jobs where hair interferes, especially since you can keep it under a hat, net, or in a ponytail. I walk into my local grocery store and see ladies with long hair, working at the deli, it's under a net. I have talked an employee there and they say that if you are a guy you must have short hair to work there.
That's discrimination then, and is subsequently illegal. Believe it or not, that's not a norm.

Quote:
As I said, you can't just take your hair off, it is a part of your body, not a piercing, not an article of clothing. If you present yourself nicely and have the skills then hair shouldn't be a factor.
No, but you can get it cut.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 AM
The fruit of their lions
View Posts: 1,752

lol wat

I've seen plenty of men with long hair working in various jobs around the UK where I lived, in particular a GAME shop where one particular man had hair longer than mine. He kept it tied back and you'd hardly notice, until he turned around, that was. I suppose some people consider long hair on a man 'scruffy' and don't want their employees looking like some rock star reject, but unless there's an actual danger in which long hair poses (and for some obscure reason where tying it back or keeping it under a hair net), there shouldn't be any more discrimination against men with long hair than against women with long hair. If they cannot provide clear reasoning as to why male employees cannot have their hair long. then yes, that is discrimination.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Banned User
Send a message via AIM to Discussion
View Posts: 2,464

Find a very liberal place. Down here in the bookshops and cafes I've seen employees with facial piercings, long, dyed hair and things seem perfectly fine. It's a matter of looking in the right places, as opposed to jumping into any venture...but I know how you feel, it's actually policy to keep my hair short.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 AM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,232

When I had long hair, I worked in a certain supermarket chain, I was never discriminated against because of it. Then again, they did reject me on initial application for no perceivably good reason, so it might have been the kind of attitude I gave off with my hair.

It's short now because I realized how much of a tit I looked.

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-19-2009, 03:14 AM
Haste the OMGTREE!!!
View Posts: 436

My hair is shoulder length and styled, and as a guy it does narrow my job opportunities a little bit. (i also have two lip piercings and my nose pierced and stretched ears to half an inch). But the way I see it there's enough jobs out there that I can easily work at that I'm okay with losing a few opportunities. I like looking the way I want to look, and at the end of my life what am I going to value more.. being myself or trying to fit into other people's stereotypes so as to get a certain job?
besides if the employer is the kind of person who judges based off appearance i'd rather not work for them anyway.

when I worked at subway we had a FEW customers who asked for someone other than me to serve them. my hair was always under a hat, but the piercings put a few people off.
basically though, the majority of people didn't care at all.
the only really bad time i can remember was when a guy said to me "why would you do something like that to yourself? how can you expect girls to like you?"
and when I didn't say anything he said to me "You better be glad there are ladies here or I would be saying a lot more to you"

I honestly have given up on people all accepting different styles and ways for men to have whatever haircut/look they want.
people can think I'm weird or jump to whatever conclusions they want about my sexuality and such. At the end of the day they don't really know me anyway. And I'd rather be myself and not be understood then conform and be "understood".

sorry... that was a rant.

Where Bluebirds Fly

Zeldas Completed: TP, OoT, PH

#14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Anouki
Send a message via AIM to Jackal
View Posts: 50

I honestly think it's just smart on the business owner's behalf. It may not be HIS view, but if he knows that his customers are going to be put off because his cashier is covered in piercings, tattoos, and dreadlocks, he has every right to turn that person down. The business owner's first concern is the success of his business.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
View Posts: 4,337

It depends on the job you take. If your doing a job that involves seeing people frequently, then how you keep your hair is a ligitimate concern. The same with piercings. This is just me, but I'd rather not have my table waited on by a guy who looks like he fell face first into a tackle box.
Also, if your doing a job where lonk hair would be a hindrance, then it also makes sense.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 13

There's an assumption that men with long hair are really easy and would not work well. Granted a good deal of men I've seen with long hair never keep it clean, so that assumption is amplified by that. I'm down with long hair on men so long as they keep it clean like most their female counterparts do. If it turns out to just look like a mess, then the employer would assume that the worker is a mess, and won't hire. I find that for men who want long hair and jobs, putting that hair in a ponytail can help contain it so it isn't as wild, and it comes off as more professional.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,853

My take on being rejected by potential employers because of having long hair?

Good. If they're uptight enough about hair, then I can only imagine how intolerable the actual work environment would be.

Grow your hair out guys. It's an excellent way to screen out ****ty jobs.
Last Edited by Captain Cornflake; 03-09-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
???
View Posts: 73

That's why I'm going to go back to my job before my hair gets long again. It used to be halfway down my back. I think once you stay long enough in an occupation, your employer will probably care less about something that trivial.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
linksmolecules linksmolecules is a male United States linksmolecules is offline
Delirious
Send a message via Skype™ to linksmolecules
View Posts: 1,065

I think it depends on who is giving the interview. If you have a solid resume answer their questions properly, your hair stlye shouldn't be a factor.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

View Posts: 13,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakunin Brigade View Post
Find a very liberal place. Down here in the bookshops and cafes I've seen employees with facial piercings, long, dyed hair and things seem perfectly fine. It's a matter of looking in the right places, as opposed to jumping into any venture...but I know how you feel, it's actually policy to keep my hair short.
This. My b/f has long hair.
He works at half price books. They're a great company- and quite "liberal" too. nah- eff the qoutation marks, they're way liberal, but yeah...
There's a dude with long dreds working there.

Tags
finding, guys, hair, hard, job, long, time