Send a message via AIM to Rew
View Posts: 14,292
Re: Abortion: Good or Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime View Post
With only a couple days left, George W. Bush still found a way to piss me off:

Source: Bush Declares "Sanctity of Human Life Day" - Feministing

Is it Tuesday yet?

As one who is anti-abortion yet also anti-war and anti-death penalty (i.e. consistently pro-life in every area except maybe euthanasia), this rather appeals to me.

Well, in a theoretical sense it does, that is. But since it came from Bush, though, it just confirms that he's an unabashedly hypocritical bastard.

Signature and avatar set by the illustrious, if horny, Zarah Warah.
  #302 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!
View Posts: 13,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
As one who is anti-abortion yet also anti-war and anti-death penalty (i.e. consistently pro-life in every area except maybe euthanasia), this rather appeals to me.

Well, in a theoretical sense it does, that is. But since it came from Bush, though, it just confirms that he's an unabashedly hypocritical bastard.
Though I would argue point out that Obama's "National Day of Service" is 100 times more "pro-life" than "Sanctity of Human Life Day"
Last Edited by Redonkulous Homunculus; 01-20-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #303 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Send a message via AIM to Rew
View Posts: 14,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
Though I would argue point out that Obama's "National Day of Service" is 100 times more "pro-life" than "Sanctity of Human Life Day"
I wouldn't argue disagree with you there.

Signature and avatar set by the illustrious, if horny, Zarah Warah.
  #304 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Luthien Tinuviel Luthien Tinuviel is a female France Luthien Tinuviel is offline
Je me souviens maintenant et toujours
View Posts: 1,621

I believe that abortion is morally wrong. In any case of a woman being pregnant, no matter how she got pregnant, there is always a much better choice than abortion. How about adoption? That is way better than killing an innocent almost-newborn.
  #305 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!
View Posts: 13,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessZelda2 View Post
I believe that abortion is morally wrong. In any case of a woman being pregnant, no matter how she got pregnant, there is always a much better choice than abortion. How about adoption? That is way better than killing an innocent almost-newborn.
almost newborn?

a fetus in the first trimester is nowhere near an almost newborn. it could not survive outside the womb.
  #306 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Resident Feminist, Sex Educator, and Micropipetter
Send a message via AIM to Sapphira Send a message via Yahoo to Sapphira
View Posts: 1,632

Quote:
Morals = not universal.

Any case = rape and incest? I recommend Women and Violence by Barrie Levy. Violence against women is never the victim's fault, and so no woman should be further victimized by an unwanted pregnancy.

Better choice = subjective, not objective.

Adoption = requires pregnancy, which many women would prefer not to have to go through (especially because we live in a society where pregnant women have trouble staying in school, finding jobs, and accessing comprehensive pre-natal care).

Killing an innocent almost newborn = a lot better than killing an innocent born person. In addition, abortion is not legally defined as murder, and therefore there is no need to determine the guilt or innocence of a fetus before terminating a pregnancy.

Margar and Rew, I TOTALLY agree. Having a "Sanctity of Life" day does nothing except further demonize abortion, the women who have them, and the doctors who perform them. Knowing Bush, that day, as you've said, is not to preserve all human life, but to specifically preserve fetuses.

Pelagias, thanks for the article! I've long known that there are no long-term mental health effects of abortion, but since my sources are all Planned Parenthood sources, no one ever believes me.
  #307 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,306

So what is the National Day of Service supposed to be about?

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #308 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Angry Lenin

View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
Who are you to decide what's better?
  #309 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM
The fruit of their lions
View Posts: 1,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratey View Post
Who are you to decide what's better?
Mmhm. If she wants to keep a baby, no matter how it was conceived, she's free to keep it if she wants. However, if I got pregnant, I'd have a difficult time decided if I could keep it or not. If it was consensual? Quite possibly I would, and adopt it out if in most likelihood, but if it was a rape baby? I'd get it aborted in a heartbeat. No rape baby will ever have a place in me.
  #310 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM

I used to think if a woman was raped and got pregnant, then she could consider the kid as a positive to getting raped. Like the bright side of things. Apparently not many others look at it that way.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........MM-TP
  #311 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Angry Lenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I used to think if a woman was raped and got pregnant, then she could consider the kid as a positive to getting raped. Like the bright side of things. Apparently not many others look at it that way.
No woman is going to want to be a broodmare. Keep them cute wittle rape babies to themselves who want them. Why would they want an unneeded pregnancy with someone who they didn't want to have a baby with, but also violently? If I beat you down with a baseball bat, do you see it as positive if it was your favorite manufacturer who made that baseball bat?
Last Edited by fratey; 01-20-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #312 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
The fruit of their lions

What the hell? There is no 'bright side' to being raped at all, and getting pregnant due to a horrible violent experience would be a living nightmare. For me, it would most certainly be, and most other women would probably say the same too.
Last Edited by Emperor Mateus; 01-20-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #313 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM

I've never heard of the word broodmare. I can imagine what it means, though.

.........MM-TP
  #314 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Angry Lenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagias View Post
What the hell? There is no 'bright side' to being raped at all, and getting pregnant due to a horrible violent experience would be a living nightmare. For me, it would most certainly be, and most other women would probably say the same too.
What woman would enjoy being pregnant with a rape child, I ask?
  #315 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
The Friendly Misanthropist
Send a message via Yahoo to hypno_toad
View Posts: 955

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratey View Post
What woman would enjoy being pregnant with a rape child, I ask?
A good God fearing Christian woman who knows that her place is to raise children. She should also know that if she got raped it's because God wanted her to have a baby and she should be grateful for the chance to do His bidding.
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- (Epicurus)

#316 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Uh, Pelagias is right. There is no "bright side" to getting raped.

Sexual assault, which is any forced, coerced, or otherwise unwanted and non-consensual sexual contact, includes rape, which is defined (in Massachusetts) as the unwanted, forced, coerced, or otherwise non-consensual penetration of any bodily orifice with an object (which commonly is a penis, but can include a finger or a material object). Sexual assault typically leave the victim feeling confused, hurt, and without control.

Sexual assault is about control and power, where the perpetrator literally wrests any sort of control from his victim. Part of the recovery process of sexual assault, as well as other sexual violence, is regaining a sense of control over one's life. The empowerment model is used to do so; the main tenet of this model, used by rape crisis counselors all over, is that the victim should be able to make all of her own choices regarding what she does after the assault or violence. If she does not want to see a doctor, or report the crime to the police, the empowerment model states that no one should tell her she has to or needs to. It is also not appropriate to tell the victim that she is coping improperly, or that she needs to get over it. And finally, if she becomes pregnant, it must be her decision as to whether or not she goes through with the pregnancy.

Many women who survive rape and become pregnant do choose to have the baby, and many also choose to keep it. That's because many women believe that the fetus and potential baby should not be punished for its father's actions, and it's also because many women believe, as Chad has brought up, that the child is a positive thing.

However, for women who don't feel that way, going through an unwanted pregnancy and going through labor is more than just adding insult upon injury. Not only has she had all control taken from her in her assault, but now she has further choice and control taken away. And not only that, but she loses control of her body--she is unable to prevent the changes that come with pregnancy, or the pain that comes with labor.

And so, to prevent rape victims from having abortions is anti-women. If your faith and your morals say that rape pregnancies shouldn't be aborted, reconsider whether or not your faith or your morals, in the context of this issue, might be anti-woman.
  #317 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
The fruit of their lions

I'm mainly throwing this out here for Sapphira, as I'm sure she'd find it very interesting. I know that I did.

The only moral abortion is MY abortion.
  #318 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Those people are called hypocrites. There was one quote where a woman got an abortion because she was convinced while being clinically depressed.

.........MM-TP
  #319 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Wow, Pelagias, I knew that happened, but wwwwwow.
  #320 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
The fruit of their lions

I'm surprised it took me so long to find such an article, as I knew that occasionally even anti-choicers happily go off and get abortions, the very same process they would seek to deny to other women. I was quite surprised by the depth of the article, and just how some of the anti-choicers acted like it was okay for them to do it, while not for others without their 'superior moral judgement'. I'll never understand this kind of attitude. :/

I have another article to post again, this time concerning a Planned Parenting Clinic being attacked.

SUV smashes into Planned Parenthood in St. Paul

"On the 36th anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion, a man smashed his SUV into the entrance of the Planned Parenthood office in St. Paul this morning.

Although staff members have gotten used to protests, particularly on the anniversary of the ruling, "we certainly don't expect this sort of thing," said Sarah Stoesz, the president and chief executive officer of Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota. ""It's never happened before and we don't expect it to happen again."

The 32-year-old man, who has refused to identify himself, was arrested and charged on suspicion of aggravated assault, said police spokesman Peter Panos. Police were trying to confirm the man's name before forwarding felony charges to the Ramsey County attorney's office.

"We think it's intentional because of Roe vs. Wade," Panos said. "He's not saying much. He was praying or chanting when the officers arrived."

Panos also said the incident was unusual. "Usually we have some demonstrations there on this day, but someone doing actual damage is very, very rare," he said.

Several employees were in the building at the time, said Planned Parenthood spokeswoman Kathi Di Nicola. She said the SUV hit the front door of the clinic two or three times, damaging the clinic's front door and surrounding stonework.

When Di Nicola arrived at the clinic, she said the man had gotten out of the SUV and was pacing around it, holding a crucifix and chanting. "He was agitated and he was saying, 'shut down this Auschwitz,' " she said.

About 7:40 a.m., the man drove his truck onto the sidewalk in front of the office and rammed into the front door of the office on Ford Parkway, Panos said.

"The damage ended up being minor and things were cleaned up while we diverted patients to another entrance," Stoesz said. "It shook people up a little bit, but the staff responded in a very calm way."

In addition to the pickup driver, the Planned Parenthood staff had to contend with about 60 anti-abortion protesters who tried to prevent patients from entering the building, Stoesz said.

"The irony is that if those protesters, like this man, would help us assure all people have access to reproductive health care, it would reduce the need for abortions," she said.

The protesters left later this morning, headed for the state capitol, where an annual rally against abortion is scheduled later today.

"Abortion is a minor part of what we do," accounting for only about 5 percent of the medical procedures performed at the clinic, Stoesz said.

The clinic is the only one in the state where Planned Parenthood performs abortions.

Tags
abortion, bad, good