Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ

Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
weee!

View Posts: 10,229
Adoption - Make it an option

I didn't want this in the serious discussion, because I believe it doesn't need to be debated over in any way... However, yes, it is a serious issue... Please, no harsh debates over this.

FOXNews.com - Hour-Old Newborn Found Alive in Miami Trash Bin, Rescued - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Hour-Old Newborn Found Alive in Miami Trash Bin, RescuedTuesday, September 30, 2008

MIAMI — A newborn boy is safe after being found in a trash bin in Miami. Authorities say the child was apparently only an hour or so old. He was found in a trash bin Monday night when a janitor taking out the trash heard the baby crying. The boy's umbilical cord was still attached. The child appeared to be healthy but was taken to a hospital to be monitored. Florida's Safe Haven law was passed in 2000 in response to a rash of babies left to die in canals and trash bins. The law allows a parent to surrender a newborn, no questions asked, to any hospital emergency room, open fire station or other facility capable of providing emergency care."

6.1 MILLION people in the United States suffer from infertility. Can you imagine how many of those people would have gladly accepted that abandoned baby into their homes to love and care for? And the aforementioned case, sadly, is not unique. This horrifying crime is happening all over the United States! Worse than that, many of these babies do not survive this abuse!

There are so many happy families that could be united if these pregnant women were educated about the fact that they have an option to place their baby for adoption. I cannot speak for all adoption agencies. However, I know that through LDS Family Services, the pregnant woman is not only provided with a family that is stable and happy, but the birth mother also receives counseling, and access to medical and other essential needs. Imagine if the mother in the story above had chosen to place her baby for adoption rather than abandoning him in a trash bin. Rather than being chased by the police, she would be respected for the difficult decision she had made. Isn't that a much better option? I would think so. Do you?

Please help me spread the word. This is about education. In this case, ignorance is most certainly NOT bliss. If you know anyone, or if you know someone who knows someone, who is in a situation where they might consider options other than adoption, please let them know about this. I know that with your help, we can be the answer to somebody's prayers, and they will be the answer to ours.

On a more personal note, I'm adopted. My real mother was 18 when she found out she was pregnant. The dad ran out on her shortly after he found out, and she was left with her mom and family to decide what to do with me. Sure, she could have aborted me, she also could have kept me and raise me on her own, but I think we all know that giving a baby to a stable family is the most important and most responsible thing to do. I was given up for adoption and I thank God that I was. My life is so good, and I'm loved and cared for. I have wonderful parents! My birth mom gave me the best gift ever - life.

I hope if some of you read this, you'll make an effort to spread the word that adoption is an option and like I said, "we can be the answer to somebody's prayers, and they will be the answer to ours."
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
The Fire Sage
View Posts: 637
Re: Adoption - Make it an option

Well, you said there doesn't need to be much harsh debating, but I don't even see how that's possible. Unless someone would like to contend that leaving babies in trash cans is a good thing, we have a mighty one-sided discussion here. >_>
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil
Steam ID: LTK419 Wii U ID: ZachtotheFuture

View Posts: 13,372

Aye, I have several friends who're adopted, and I plan, or am atleast considering adopting a child one day.

That's about all I have to say on this subject, good call, SugarPoultry.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,993

There are days (increasing numbers of them lately, alas) where I really do wonder if humanity shouldn't start over.

This is, quite simply, horrible. It's about the same as taking a person, breaking all their limbs, and then leaving them in a desert.

Yet someone did this and, apparently, didn't feel enough of a qualm about it to stop.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
weee!

Well, just letting people know that they have an option. Most think abortion is the only option, which is no different (in my opinion) than what that mom did to her child (leaving it in the trash). Now... that is a debate for another topic, but still, the mom made a poor choice as to what to do in her situation. More people need to realize that adoption is the best for everyone. The mom feels better about the baby having a good life, and the baby when it grows up will be happy and thankful.

Like I said, spreading the word and helping encourage this will solve a lot of these problems.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

This is truly a terrifying story.

If people understood all of their options these kinds of things wouldn't happen. Really, we need to do more to promote abortion and adoption in order to prevent these types of ordeals. If the mother gets caught she's going to get thrown in prison for attempted murder. Sure, it's sad when a newborn dies, but it's even worse when an adult's life is ruined.

Most of all, though, we need to prevent these issues at their source: We need to promote safe sex. It really reaches beyond this issue, and becomes a public health issue.

This is something I think we can all agree on, and I agree: No harsh debates necessary.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 PM
weee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit
Most of all, though, we need to prevent these issues at their source: We need to promote safe sex.
This I highly agree with! Responsibility needs to already be established. It shouldn't take a pregnancy to make someone responsible.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
The Friendly Misanthropist
Send a message via Yahoo to hypno_toad
View Posts: 955

I find myself constantly surprised by the fact that I'm not longer surprised by what humans will do.

Though, I think promoting adoption is only part of the issue. I agree that we need to promote comprehensive sex education. Because, honestly, this idea of "Don't ****ing do it, but have some free condoms" isn't cutting it. I also believe that society as a whole needs to work on not demonizing abortion. If women didn't feel that they would be persecuted as much then I believe situations like this wouldn't happen as often.
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- (Epicurus)

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Indeed, education on abortion options and comprehensive sex-ed will do wonders for stuff like this.

In addition, sex in general needs to not be so deionized, with the stigma it in many ways have people don't go to get help for situations like this.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 AM
weee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwarf View Post
Indeed, education on abortion options and comprehensive sex-ed will do wonders for stuff like this.
I disagree with that, sex-ed just needs to be enforced WAY more. Then abortion wouldn't be a problem either. The world wouldn't argue over that problem if it didn't exist.

Quote:
In addition, sex in general needs to not be so deionized, with the stigma it in many ways have people don't go to get help for situations like this.
It's incredible how people live sexual lives and get pregnant and act all surprised. Like, "How is this possible? How can this be?" kind of attitude. *face palm* Well, gee I wonder?!
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM

...I meant adoption options. This is what happens when I'm typing after midnight.

People should be told about abortion, of course, but I don't hold with promoting it as the perfect solution.

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
weee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwarf View Post
...I meant adoption options. This is what happens when I'm typing after midnight.

People should be told about abortion, of course, but I don't hold with promoting it as the perfect solution.
Oh, it was a typo. Hehe
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM
weee!

^Or they could just be smart people and practice safe sex. That way they can avoid any options.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM

That would fall under "comprehensive sex-ed", but yeah.

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
weee!

Well, there is no excuse for your actions if you get pregnant. It just shows, "you chose to have unprotected sex and chose to be irresponsible for your actions." So, show responsibility for you AND your baby.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
Well, there is no excuse for your actions if you get pregnant.
Not all people who get pregnant chose to have unprotected sex.
Of course, most people who do probably did.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,210

And, well, contraceptions can and do fail, even if the chance of that is something like 10% with just a condom, and continuously decreases depending on how many and which you use.

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Quod tu es, ego fui; quod nunc sum, et tu eris
View Posts: 6,192

Thing is, adoption is an option, along with abortion, along with just throwing the baby in a dumpster.

You can't force people to make choices without asking for substantial backlash, so people will always make bad choices.

You can't fret over it. It's unhealthy to consume yourself with negative thoughts about choices other people make that you have no influence over.

The world will never be perfect. People will die. That is life.

Ангелы и демоны кружили надо мной
Рассекали тернии и млечные пути
Не знает счастья только тот,
Кто его зова понять не смог...

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 PM
ChildofTwilight ChildofTwilight is a female United States ChildofTwilight is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 359

Quote:
Well, there is no excuse for your actions if you get pregnant. It just shows, "you chose to have unprotected sex and chose to be irresponsible for your actions." So, show responsibility for you AND your baby.
There are those who get pregnant while having protected sex. My cousin is now a single mom and she was on the birth control pill AND he used a condom. Unforunately the poor baby's dad wants nothing to do with him. He's such a cute baby too, with big blue eyes and light baby hair. Really sad.
Like Batman!
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Quod tu es, ego fui; quod nunc sum, et tu eris
View Posts: 6,192

Birth Control and a condom?

Someone is lying.

Ангелы и демоны кружили надо мной
Рассекали тернии и млечные пути
Не знает счастья только тот,
Кто его зова понять не смог...