Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: What do you think about George W. Bush?
Worst president EVER! 47 35.88%
He's pretty lousy 37 28.24%
Nothing phenominal, but enough to gain my respect as president 31 23.66%
A wonderful man and a great president 8 6.11%
Who cares? 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Son of DyreWolf, Lord of the Wolfpack!
View Posts: 31
Re: So... how 'bout that Bush?

Wait a minute. Hurricane Katrina? How is that Bush's fault? He was supposed to stop a hurrican? Why aren't you blaming the mayors, governors, the people who should have been evacuating people before the hurrican ever came. The president is the commander and chief of the armed forces, not the babysitter of the whole country.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 370

They bear part of the blame as well, but the President was explicitly informed that the levees could be breached.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
SNOW_STORM IS THE BEST
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
Steam ID: HALF LIFE 3 IS NEVER GONNA BE RELEASED!
View Posts: 10,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawkx View Post
greatly underrated.The government should be run like a business, right now it's being run more like a game. Sim city doesn't work in real life people.
Haha, the government right now is being ran like a corporation, complete with corrupt old cronies running the shots.

I prefer the government to be small and in the hands of the people. I'm tired of this big government bulls**t.

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project 2501 View Post
They bear part of the blame as well, but the President was explicitly informed that the levees could be breached.
So what if he knew? He only has so much power over what he can do; he isn't god. The governor also new, and could have done something far quicker than a president could have, but he DIDN'T!
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi3rce Di3ty View Post
Abu-Ghraib
Reading my pet goat on 9/11
AWOL in The National Guard
Terri Schiavo
Lost Trillion$ in Iraq
Cheney Shooting a Guy

LOL need i say more?
1) How else was he supposed to act while talking to children?
2) That has nothing to do with his presidency
3) the Government should not have gotten involved at all with that situation and that had more to do with Jeb Bush then anything
4) What does Cheney being a dumbass have to do with Bush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyrWolf View Post
Wait a minute. Hurricane Katrina? How is that Bush's fault? He was supposed to stop a hurrican? Why aren't you blaming the mayors, governors, the people who should have been evacuating people before the hurrican ever came. The president is the commander and chief of the armed forces, not the babysitter of the whole country.
The blame for the response falls on alot of people, including Bush
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
The blame for the response falls on alot of people, including Bush
Yes, some blame does fall on Bush, but I would put most of it on the mayor, or governor. They are the ones who had the evacuation plans, but didn't implement them soon enough, and sent people to the super dome without proper resources. Blame can be given to anyone, from the victims themselves for not doing more to save their own lives (yes, many of them couldn't without proper means of transportation, but there where also many many who had cars and could have easily left, but didn't) up to the president, therefore, I don't think it's right to single him out and blame him for the hurricane Katrina disaster.
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Zora Warrior

This President deserves to burn in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN article
The 81-page legal analysis largely centers on whether interrogators can be held responsible for torture if torture is not the intent of the questioning. And it defines torture as the intended sum of a variety of acts, which could include acid scalding, severe mental pain and suffering, threat of imminent death and physical pain resulting in impaired body functions, organ failure or death.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Only want you for your body.
View Posts: 1,324

I'm not a huge fan of Bush, and he has certainly made some big mistakes during his presidency, but I can honestly say that he was a better candidate than Private "When I was back in 'Nam", or Mr. "I invented the Internet".

As far as his low approval rates go, it's called the Second Term Curse. Let's let history be the judge of whenther he was a good president or not, because if we didn't then we would still be saying that Abraham Lincoln was a horrible president for freeing the slaves because it hurt the economy.

There's a difference between being a president and being an opinion poll politician.
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned User
Send a message via AIM to Tempest
View Posts: 303

Quote:
Quote:
made public a now-defunct legal memo
Nice selective quote there. You really do think the president has to okay EVERY SINGLE action a government agency takes, don't you? Do you have any idea about the limits/extent of executive power, or are you blaming everything bad that happened during the past 8 years on the President "because he's in charge"?

You're really making it sound like the latter, you're dumping links (which is more than most posters do) but not offering any analysis or explanation.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to Linknumbers Send a message via Yahoo to Linknumbers Send a message via Skype™ to Linknumbers
View Posts: 11

As someone who was in Gulf Coast Mississippi DURING Katrina (which was neglected FAR WORSE than New Fucking Orleans) had to bathe in bottled water for 9 weeks straight, eat shitty processed MREs, go for a tetanus shot TWICE, sleep under a tarp with no electricity, central heating, or cooling, and lug a fucking jug of gas for 4 miles hoping I wasn't mugged for it, I'd say that Bush did a hell of a lot better than he could have done.

Did I vote for Bush? No, I voted Kerry. Do I think he could have done better? Yes. Do I think you fucking shitheads can go spout off criticizing him talking out of your asses on a subject you don't even fucking understand? Fuck no. He did what he had to do and what he did was more than enough to help attempt to get the region back on track. He may not be the best President we've had but at least he makes a fucking effort, and you should be thankful he hasn't attempted to butcher the first amendment that lets you make those fucking ignorant remarks that you feel so free to spout out while jerking each other off over your "Oh we're so edgy and hip hey lets hate on the current president because he's made some mistakes and blame irrelevant fucking shit on him just so we don't get bored with ourselves" blither.

The man may not do his job as well as others have but for you fucking cocksuckers to go off and try to discredit him for something he made a damn fine attempt to help with is just fucking sick. And if you pull some "I don't live in amerikkka" shit, then shut the fuck up and go masturbate over missing maddy, you twats.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Insane little jester
View Posts: 2,304

Quote:
yeah, that is just awful, a man who does that should not be given any power over anything. ever.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Nice selective quote there. You really do think the president has to okay EVERY SINGLE action a government agency takes, don't you? Do you have any idea about the limits/extent of executive power, or are you blaming everything bad that happened during the past 8 years on the President "because he's in charge"?

You're really making it sound like the latter, you're dumping links (which is more than most posters do) but not offering any analysis or explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
yeah, that is just awful, a man who does that should not be given any power over anything. ever.
I already pointed out some serious flaws with that article. Do you guys do any sort of critical reading EVER or cherry pick the things you can get outraged about the most?
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Zora Warrior

Quote:

So it's defunct. Great. It still happened, and he knowingly allowed it to happen.

And yes, I'm familiar with the system of checks and balances, a system which this President and many others have constantly attempted to circumvent through the use of executive orders. In all fairness, I don't think any explanation is required here; the situation is plain on its face. This administration was complicit in the practice of torture, and this memo proves it. No further explanation or analysis is required.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Insane little jester

Quote:
I already pointed out some serious flaws with that article. Do you guys do any sort of critical reading EVER or cherry pick the things you can get outraged about the most?
that aricle is hardly the only thing about this I've read.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Ph. D. in Awesome Studies
View Posts: 102

I think it's time for me to helpfully ignore all posts that I dislike just like every other poster here.

With that: good going, Tempest - but stop double-posting, it's against the rules.

Quote:
And yes, I'm familiar with the system of checks and balances, a system which this President and many others have constantly attempted to circumvent through the use of executive orders.
There have been so many! It's almost like they don't fall under the normal articles of government - damn them for inventing something unconstitutional out of thin air! You'd think FDRs three thousand would have alerted somebody to a problem and at least one would have been rescinded by the courts.
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Banned User

Quote:
So it's defunct. Great. It still happened, and he knowingly allowed it to happen.

And yes, I'm familiar with the system of checks and balances, a system which this President and many others have constantly attempted to circumvent through the use of executive orders. In all fairness, I don't think any explanation is required here; the situation is plain on its face. This administration was complicit in the practice of torture, and this memo proves it. No further explanation or analysis is required.
No, it DOES require analysis and explanation when you're absolutely misrepresenting and misquoting it. That memo came from the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT, not the White House. Had it come from the White House itself you'd have a case. However being an internal Justice Department memo it is strictly an internal matter and the memo lasted a total of 9 months where it was fought during that time. The people involved were using speeches Bush had made as a justification to use intensive interrogation tactics against foreign combatants, it was never, NEVER dictated as part of Bush's plan for the way interrogations would be conducted. Governmental agencies have a good level of autonomy. There was no executive order involved in this memo, just some dumbass decisions by the justice department.

Quote:
that aricle is hardly the only thing about this I've read.
Then you need to read it closer because neither of you quite got the jist of it.
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Insane little jester

what am i not getting Tempest?

he came out himself and said he vetoed the anti-torture law so that several torturous mehods of inerrigation would not be made illegal.

that, to me, is not a person who should be in charge.
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Ph. D. in Awesome Studies
View Posts: 102

How does one veto a memo before any Congressional entity has suggested a system whereby such a business as torture can be used or disused so that it could be "vetoed" as law in the first place and which had not been made policy of any kind by any agency within the federal government - be it executive or otherwise? No, seriously, where's the NASA-Bush-Halliburton time machine on this one? I'm seriously glad we have a president responsible enough to build a time machine. That's what you're not getting - the lack of time manipulation by the executive branch such that its activity facilitates your charge. Man, we need someone who understands the US government in this thread. Please?
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned User

Quote:
what am i not getting Tempest?

he came out himself and said he vetoed the anti-torture law so that several torturous mehods of inerrigation would not be made illegal.

that, to me, is not a person who should be in charge.
Where? Where in that article does it say that? And if you're talking about some other article (which is a complete tangent you couldn't possible expect me to follow) then provide the article or suitable evidence to support your claims.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Insane little jester

not a law, a bill.

my bad there.

Tags
bush, politics, poll, president, united states